Start by marking “Sports in America” as Want to Read:
Sports in America

Sports in America

Originally published in 1976, James A. Michener’s explosive, spectacular Sports in America is a prescient examination of the crisis in American sports that is still unfolding to this day. Pro basketball players are banned for narcotics use, while a Major League pitcher is arrested for smuggling drugs across the Mexican border. The NFL’s “injury report” grows longer every S ...more
Published July 12th 1987 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published May 12th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Sports in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sports in America

Start your review of Sports in America
John Baker
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this book 20+ years ago. It should be required reading for all sports junkies as well as athletes planning a career in sports. The chapter on collegian sports in America was well-researched, spot on and worth the purchase price.
I gave this book to a friend's son as he was going off to college to play Division 1 football several years ago. Recently, he called to thank me for the gift, which broadened his perspective on sports and life. He currently is a brand manager at ESPN.
Kathy
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting theories, especially regarding black atheles (best specimens from Africa, survival of the fittest on slave ships, desire to get out of the ghetto, etc.)
Sam
Jun 26, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is a thorough review of sports in America, much of its material is dated with the inferred results being of less value than when the book was written. However, since I have read nearly everything else that Mr. Michener had written, I wanted to read this work as well, and as always, his style of writing was enjoyed as his use of prose is rarely in evidence by today’s authors.
Mark Carroll
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good nonfiction from Michener. I enjoyed this one during my college years!
Hal Brodsky
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book caused me to help lead a peaceful protest movement in college, trying to get my college to drop to a lower NCAA division.
Sharron
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was actually used as a textbook for a class I took way back in undergrad days. Best textbook ever.
Nancy (Apple) Schnore
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Well I am not into sports
Lon
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
While it may seem a bit dated, this is one of the finest sports books on the market. Well worth the effort.
Len Knighton
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
I read this many years ago and I seem to remember that I was a little disappointed in it.
V Manera
Nov 20, 2010
Dave Bahr
Sep 25, 2012
Jesse
rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Dave
Feb 18, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Football Revolution: The Rise of the Spread Offense and How It Transformed College Football
  • The Poky Little Puppy
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • Beneath My Heart: Poetry
  • The Volcano Lover
  • If It Bleeds, It Leads (Avery Shaw, #2)
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins, #1)
  • Again, Dangerous Visions 1
  • Again, Dangerous Visions 2
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
  • Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance
  • Laughing in the Dark: From Colored Girl to Woman of Color--A Journey From Prison to Power
  • How Do You Go to the Bathroom in Space?
  • Black Gold: The Story of Oil in Our Lives
  • The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling
  • Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for