Start by marking “Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)” as Want to Read:
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)

Grime and Punishment

(Jane Jeffry #1)

It's So hard to Kill Good Help These Days. . .With three kids to raise on her own, Jane Jeffry sometimes needs a hand with the housework. But many of her complaining neighbors believe that the Happy Helper cleaning lady they all share wouldn't know a dustball if she was choking on it. That hardly seems reason enough, however, to do the disreputable domestic in.

So when the
Mass Market Paperback, 246 pages
Published June 1st 1992 by Avon (first published January 1st 1989)

C.
Aug 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not finishing books, no matter how terrible or clashing, is not my way. However with thousands of actual physical books, searched out and bought, for us to look forward to; patience is thin for poor writing or poor choices of focus. There is no patience for authors who abound in a style or vocabulary tendencies, that I loathe. No one should sit, grinding their teeth, through something that is unpleasant to them. That drives a decision I am sharing; not hasty boredom.

Many might dismiss the wrestl
Mary JL
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of light mysteries
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found in bookstore
Shelves: mystery-horror
The first book in the Jane Jeffry Mystery series introduces suburban mom and sleuth Jane Jeffry. They are light humorous mysteries; not a lot of violencee or gore.

The puzzles are interesting and Jane has a good knowledge of human nature, which helps her in her crime solving. There are good touches of humor; Jane's relationships with family and neighbors are well handled.

A good series to start reading when you want a quick, light easy mystery!
Jillian Marie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the sarcastic comedy. I love the characters. It's a fun read.
Monica **can't read fast enough**
I was given a copy of this and enjoyed it as a quick cozy mystery. It definitely reads like a cozy written in the late 80's early 90's. I know it's going to sound strange but when I finished my first thoughts were that this story felt very middle class right down to the reason for the murder. I'm not saying that the characters are shallow, but they definitely aren't complicated. At least not yet. There's a bit of humor with the main character Jane and she was actually likable and because she is ...more
Carol
Nov 06, 2010 added it
This is the first book in the Jane Jeffry series. I have read some of the later books but never the first one. A fun, light hearted mystery that has Jane, a midwestern housewife, with the help of her neighbor, as the solver of crimes. This book points out that you never know what secrets lay behind the closed doors of your neighbors and sometimes it's better for your health if you don't know!!
Georgene
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
An easy-to-read book that flows effortlessly without having to think too much. Sometimes, that's just the kind of book you need to read.
Dolly
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is the first book in the Jane Jeffry series by Jill Churchill. I've already read one other book in the series and figured I'd start the series from the beginning.

Overall, I think this is a fun, cozy read and certainly would appeal mainly to female mystery fans. I really enjoyed the Grace & Favor series by the same author, so I'm sure I will continue reading this series as well.

interesting quote:

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perf
Kyrie
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love Jill Churchill's Jane Jeffry mysteries and their absolutely awful pun titles. This one is the first - where Jane sets out to figure out who killed her cleaning lady. I found the series at a time when a car-pooling, PTA mom who could solve crime on the side was my idea of the perfect heroine.
Karen
Jun 10, 2016 added it
super fun quick read
Laura Joseph
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot, a fun story. I love reading a series of books that have the same characters. Can't wait to read the next 15 books.
☯Emily
Jul 26, 2011 added it
Shelves: mystery
This is the first book in the series and one of Churchill's best. Hope you enjoy it.
Chris Meads
I saw this book and the title attracted me. I thought it would be humorous and it was.

Jane Jeffrey is a single mom (not by choice) trying to raise 3 kids on her own. She lost her husband when he was killed in an accident. But she hides a little secret.

All of the women that live on the street where she lives, are friends. They all car pool, take care of each other's kids of those that have kids. It seems like a close knit bunch. And most use the same cleaning lady--some think she's a wonderful cl
George
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grime and punishment
#1 in the housewife Jane Jeffry mystery series set a Chicago suburb.

Jane’s husband died in an auto accident 7 months earlier leaving her as a single mother with 3 children ages 15, 13 and 10 and dealing with an somewhat pompous mother-in-law. Jane is barely able to keep her head above water hand with the housework, mildly rebellious kids and managing the household responsibilities. In the opening, she is pretty much losing this battle. She is taking on a cleaning service one
Doug Lewars
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, humour
*** Possible Spoilers ***

Three stars is a bit low but four would have been too high. I found the book okay but nothing special. If grades were used instead of stars I'd award the author a B-. The protagonist is a mother with three kids trying to keep her family together now that her husband is deceased. When a murder occurs next door, she's determined to find the culprit - why isn't clear.

The author made a point of making Jane, her protagonist believable by making her painfully inept at organiz
Denise Spicer
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suburban mom Jane Jeffry finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery right in her neighborhood – the cleaning lady! Trying to figure out why she was killed – possible blackmailer?? – leads Jane to snoop around in detective Mel Van Dynes’ case. Appealing characters and nice homey setting.
Sonja
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, not-at-library
What a great story; I wish I hadn't waited so long to start this series.
Monica
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Diane
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3 - Good
Missy Hicks
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I need to read something light when I’m feeling stressed. This book was what I needed. The story was average, but what I do like is the main character. She made the book for me.
Shala
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Nice cozy. Didn't love it, but there was nothing wrong with it. I will continue to series, but it won't be one of my top series to continue.
Diana Petty-stone
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced cozy mystery with good characters.
Drebbles
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
Jane Jeffrey is struggling to rebuild her life and make her children's life as normal as possible after the death of her husband in a car accident seven months earlier. She feels that life is starting to get back to normal, but that normalcy is shattered when a cleaning woman is murdered at the house next door which belongs to her friend Shelley Nowack. Shelly and Jane are understandably upset about the murder and worry about the safety of their children, so even though the police are looking in ...more
Sharon Bezrutczyk
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable
Connie
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
GRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Jill Churchill is 246 pages in length in paperback form. It is #1 in a Jane Jeffry Mystery.

Brief Description:

It's So hard to Kill Good Help These Days. . .
With three kids to raise on her own, Jane Jeffry sometimes needs a hand with the housework. But many of her complaining neighbors believe that the Happy Helper cleaning lady they all share wouldnt know a dustball if she was choking on it. That hardly seems reason enough, however, to do the disreputable domestic in.

So wh
LJ
GRIME AND PUNISHMENT - Good
Churchill, Jill - 1st of series

It's So hard to Kill Good Help These Days. . .

So when the charwoman in question is discovered strangled to death with a vacuum
Dharia Scarab
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Mary Lou
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Housewives solving mysteries. Eh. Okay.
Kristen
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it
If you love quick and easy reads for the summer, you'll love the Jane Jeffry series by Jill Churchill. Jane Jeffry is a widow and a mother of three, who's a domestic engineer. When her neighbor Shelley Nowack arranges a neighborhood potluck meeting, the new maid was found dead. And now that have everyone running scared in the neighborhood, when Detective Mel Van Dyne arrive on the scene. Between Jane's meddling mother-in-law and loneliness, it's up to Jane and Jeffrey to find out who killed the ...more
Ed
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
#1 in the Jane Jeffrey series. Jane Jeffrey is the widowed mother of teens in suburbia. This debut won the 1989 Agatha Award for Best First Novel and was Finalist 1990 Anthony Award for Best First Novel and Finalist 1990 Macavity Award for Best First Novel.

Jane Jeffrey sometimes needs a hand with the housework. Many of her neighbors believe that the cleaning lady they all share wouldn't know a dustball if she was choking on it. When the charwoman in question is discovered strangled to death with
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I really enjoy the Jane Jeffry novels by Jill Churchill. I haven't been able to read them in order. This is the first in the series and it was really nice to be able to see how some of the themes that are in every subsequent novel came to be. All of the books in this series are nice, easy, cozy mysteries but this one was a bit weaker than the rest. As a first novel, it was to be expected, but reading some of Churchill's later works first really made it all the more obvious. It couldn't stand up ...more
Has anyone read this author? 17 44 Sep 28, 2012 09:59AM
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1)
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • A Cat in the Manger (Alice Nestleton Mystery #1)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • Thyme of Death (China Bayles, #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)