Start by marking “The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)

The Regiment (The Regiment #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  442 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The planet Tyss has only one resource: soldiers. But they are very good soldiers. And once a regiment is formed, it never recruits again; as its members fall in battle, it simply grows smaller to become a battalion, a company, a platoon, a squad . . . and then there are none. But before the last man of this regiment has flung himself into battle, the Federation of Worlds w ...more
Published March 1st 1987 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about The Regiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Regiment

Jim
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a 4 star read in a lot of ways. The first half was excellent military SF. The political/conspiracy thread got stronger & made for a good second half, but there was also a thread of mysticism that ran through it that I didn't care for, although it did help support the philosophical thread to some extent.

Overall, the philosophical thread was the main one. We're introduced to it early on in a simplistic format & then it's touched on through out the book. It breaks life into major g
Rohvannyn Shaw
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story! A bit odd at first but wonderfully immersive and it has something of a twist ending that I wasn't able to fathom up until the very end. Not only is it interesting, but it describes a system of thought that is quietly and patiently changing my life. This book is really difficult to describe.
Scott Holstad
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A heavily philosophical military science fiction novel, the first in a trilogy, I believe. I thought it was quite good, although I found the ending somewhat unsatisfying and a little disappointing. But perhaps it was fitting for the philosophical viewpoints the author was trying to get across regarding society, war, and other roles for people/beings in cultures, etc.

A rebellion takes place on a planet where some important mining is done by slaves, essentially. The slaves are physically superior
Wayne Kearney
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Actually a pretty good book. The action is less important than the social discussion in the background. However, it takes until 3/4 of the way through before you realize what the book is actually about and it's not really broadcast very well. The end is a whimper and a let down. It has little to do with the rest of the book and really ruined the experience for me. There are sequels to this book, but because the ending of this one was so weak, I don't intend to find them. Overall, it's an okay bo ...more
Cory
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone enjoying sci-fi for sci-fi
Shelves: sci-fi
As I love the feel of early sci-fi, I really enjoyed this book up to the end where things took a bit of a twist I never saw coming or even understand where it may have been previously anchored in the stiry. SOrt of a lout-of-left-field sort of event. The author puts me in mind of early Heinlien or Hubbard, very quick read.
Milan Rogers
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I am a huge fan of military science fiction. The Regiment series by John Dalmas has to be one of my favorite of all time. The plot and premise are truly innovative and make for an incredibly satisfying read.
Rodney Holmes
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The military part of the book was good but the most interesting thing about this book and the series, which was it's ideas about work and a person's place in society. The regiment comes from a society whee profession should be like play not work.
Jeremy Peck
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read this book a number of times and find that every time I read it I think about what it says. Work as play, play as work,etc. the book has a simple chart that gives a better understanding of the principals that Dalmas is trying to explain and if you actually think about it, it makes sense.
Matt Howard
Mar 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Straight-forward space opera science fiction. We need more books like this and fewer Magic Swords, Evil Thoughts, and other Capitalized Nouns That Are Supposed to Have Magical Significance.
Alan
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
John Dalmas writes good, solid adventure stories, always entertaining. This book chronicles the adventures of an idealized military unit who represent the best of military virtues.
Jeff Crosby
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I lost track of Dalmas when paperbacks started becoming an issue for my vision, but I particularly liked the Regiment novels. Now with ebooks I may return to Dalmas.
Papal Bull
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book could have easily received 3 or 5 stars. It reminded me of a hammer slammer's novel.
John
Douglas Collins
Jan 19, 2013
Matt Reischl
Apr 04, 2013
  • Falkenberg's Legion (Falkenberg's Legion #1)
  • Red Limit Freeway (Skyway, #2)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Officer-cadet
  • Spacepaw (Dilbia, #2)
  • Star Risk Ltd. (Star Risk, #1)
  • Starstrike
  • The Sword (The General, #5)
  • Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)
  • The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone, #1)
  • The Octagonal Raven
  • Plague of Demons
John Dalmas -pseudonym for John Robert Jones- wrote many books based on military and governmental themes throughout his career. He grew up in Minnesota and Michigan and resided in Spokane, Washington. He was a parachute infantryman in WWII and was discharged in 1946 without ever being put seriously in harm's way. He has worked as a longshoreman, merchant seaman, logger, construction worker, and sm ...more
More about John Dalmas...

The Regiment (5 books)
  • The White Regiment (The Regiment, #2)
  • The Kalif's War
  • The Regiment's War (The Regiment, #4)
  • The Three-Cornered War  (The Regiment, #5)