Start by marking “Grantville Gazette, Volume I (Grantville Gazette, #1)” as Want to Read:
Grantville Gazette, Volume I (Grantville Gazette, #1)

Grantville Gazette, Volume I

(Grantville Gazette #1)

Ed Piazza, the Secretary of State of the small United States being forged in war-torn Germany during the Thirty Years War, has a problem on his hands. A religious conference has been called in nearby Rudolstadt which will determine doctrine for all the Lutherans in the nation. The hard-fought principle of religious freedom is at stake, threatened alike by intransigent theo ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Baen Books (first published October 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Grantville Gazette, Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grantville Gazette, Volume I

Pat Cummings
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
When Eric Flint conceived the “Ring of Fire,” a cosmic event in that transposed an entire town (Grantville) from year 2000 America to year 1632 Germany, he created more than the basis for a series of novels. The concept attracted fans, inspiring them to comment and even write their own “fanfic” stories in the milieu Flint devised.

Some of those fans are writers in their own right: Mercedes Lackey, for one. Others are just as able if less well known, as this second collection of fan stories shows.
Hugues
Sans l’Internet, 1632 n’eut sans doute été qu’un essai isolé. L’Internet a permis à de nombreux lecteurs de se retrouver [1] pour poser des questions, soumettre des idées et même écrire des nouvelles. Cette émulation a donné naissance à un e-zine, The Grantville Gazette, dont le présent livre réunit quelques textes. Quelle différence avec The Ring of Fire me demandez-vous ? La réponse est facile. Ce dernier est une anthologie réunissant les fictions les plus publiables, The Grantville Gazette ra ...more
Christopher
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Shellenbarger
Wow, did I ever read this out of order. So... following the success of Eric Flint's 1632, it spawned an avid community of enthusiasts, some of whom are quite skilled writers and had an interest in building depth into the Ring of Fire universe that Flint had created, thus was born the Grantville Gazette E-Zine and from the best hits (so to speak) of the E-Zine were born the Grantville Gazette published volumes, of which this is (quite logically) the first. Oddly, due to it being rather esoteric a ...more
Caleb
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another great set of side stories in the 1632 universe. To go into a bit more detail about each, well...

Portraits isn't very long at all, but it's always nice to see the Grantville citizens through the eyes of the down-timers, and especially through famous personages like we do with this story. There's a great little discussion in it that really speaks about the world of the story in there too. With books about what all of these famous historical figures will have done, does one do what
Mike
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Note: this review is for the stories only, not the historical facts section.

Overall, this is a great series of stories that really helps flesh out some of the characters you'll meet in later "main" books (or, if you're like me, they're good backfill for characters who suddenly appeared without much introduction because you were only reading the "numbered" books).

If I'm honest, the only one I couldn't get into was "The Rudolstadt Colloquy." I read the first and last five or six pages, and felt li
John
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love getting the back story of the people in grantville and these anthologies are a great way to do it
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
This anthology of five short stories and three factual articles based upon Eric Flint's Assisti Shards series (which begins with 1632), was less than pleasing. Besides not adding to the overall story, this book also generally fails to entertain. While the first three stories are all quite good, they are also very short and probably aren't worth the $6.99 cover price of the paperback unless you're completely obsessed with this alternative universe or a collector of anything with Flint's name on t ...more
Ann aka Iftcan
Collection of short stories set in the 1632 universe. Two of the collection are actually "technical" reports, having to do with radios and the production of antibiotics--by which I mean that they are REALLY technical, written by a person who knows radios/antibiotics and include bibliographies.

I enjoyed all of them--even the 3 that were technological. Since they were set in the same world, built on the same characters, except that they are from "minor" characters (or characters that appeared exa
Kamas Kirian
This collection of short stories and some technical aspects of the world of 1632 was really interesting up until the very last entry about horse breeding. The Sewing Circle was enthralling, but was divided up in a rather odd way. The Rudolstadt Colloquy ended up being more interesting than I thought it was going to be. I really liked Portraits, Anna's Story (I want that stove) and Curio and Relic.

The nonfiction technical pieces were very interesting. Radio In The 1632 Universe, and They've Got B
Matt Velasco
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Read!

It's always good to get supplemental information and side stories about a series. I was especially grateful for the factual treatises on horses, bacteria and radio provided towards the end of the book. It gave me the background information I wanted about how some modern items worked in the 17th Century. Additionally, the facts and historical realities of the time really does make the series quite plausible when weaved into the stories.
Alex Shrugged
"Grantville Gazzette" Volume 1 is one of those supporting books for the Ring of Fire series that is not quite an anthology. It is part of the building of a world in which the series lives and it provides great information about horse power, ham radio, generating electricity and creating antibiotics in the 1600s. These subjects are discussed in a serious way along with additional supporting stories.

I'd read this again for serious study in a survival context.
Andreas
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
This anthology began life as an electronic magazine, but the success was so great Baen Books decided to publish it in traditional format as well. Most of the stories and articles started as posts in the Baen’s Bar web forum. The stories are high quality fanfic from unknown and mostly unpublished. If you are not familiar with the Assiti Shards Universe, you will be somewhat confused.

David
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I mixed collection of short stories and background articles in support of the 1632 series of books by Eric Flint & Co. For the most part the individual stories were that great, but because they helped fill in some of niggling blanks and plot holes from the series and also show the degree of background research this group of people have taken in creating this fascinating series of books, I'm gonna go ahead and give 'em four stars.
Victor T
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fan fiction has always been in one of two schools: Dear God, was that bad; or Wow, someone has a future in writing. The Gazette took the opportunity to open a world of possibilities to fans and put the best of the submissions into the Grantville Gazette. Giving us a look at some wonderful short stories, and helping out the careers of some talented writers. Loved it.
Fuzzy John
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very good stories set in the world of the author's "1632" and "1633". Very worthwhile.

So many sidecar books to big-name series are just scraps put together to make a few more bucks off the stuff that wasn't good enough to go into the mainline novels. Not so here. These stories stand on their own.
Lin
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rereading all the Grantville Gazettes. Yeah, I'm a masochist. Some stories good, some outstanding, some bring a tear to the eye. I'm not a big fan of alternate histories, but this one sucked me in and won't let go. Then again, neither will the authors! Oh, and the tech stuff: be prepared to learn more than you ever wanted to know on some subjects. Good stuff.
Kelly
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
This series of follow-ups to the original 1632 was hit and miss for me...but mostly hit! The best part about it is that, while all of the chapters were written by different people, the author of 1632 incorporates many of the characters and plot lines in subsequent novels. You'll never think about things the same again once you've read these books!
Scott Whitney
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A good quick read that you will need to be familiar with the 163? series to truly understand. The stories were entertaining and the nonfiction articles were well worth reading. I will have to make my way through the Grantville Gazette series now as well.
Kimberly
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
An entertaining collection of short stories and articles set in or about the 1632 universe. The stories are about what was happening in the early days after the Ring of Fire event, and the articles discuss the practical aspects of transferring knowledge from 2000 to 1632.
Tannie Olsen
Jun 10, 2008 is currently reading it
Just started reading. I've enjoyed the entire 1632 millieu. The manner with which Eric Flint has opened up his creation to other authors is quite unique and I am enjoying other author's views into his universe.
Penny
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm hooked on Eric Flint's alternate history series. It's the best alternate history I've read and he can actually write. It's fun, with a lot of derring-do, and he has obviously done enormous research on Europe during the Thirty Year's War.
Joe
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a good book.
We get a little of the regular people. Not the movers and shakers.
Each one of the writers brought fun to the story.

If you have read or are reading the 1632 Universe. Grantville Gazette is a great addition.

{{ the re-read was even better than the original read. I really like this universe and these people}}
Silvya Mazerolle
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved these shorts. Great way to add to characters briefly introduced in the original series and show the reader their stories. I found I was looking forward to the next Gazette publication more than to the next novel in the series. Funny.
Luci
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short stories in this collection were fun. The essays also add a unique perspective on some of the problems the citizens of Grantville faced in bringing modern technology back to medieval Germany. I am really enjoying the series and look forward to more.
Abraham Ray
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
good what if stories.
Ladonna
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting assortment of stories based on 1632. These stories were submitted by fans of the Ring of Fire series and selected for publication by Eric Flint.
Diane
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short stories set in the 1632 universe that includes lesser personalities as well as main characters and moves the story along.
Lynn Calvin
baen ebook
Michael Schulz
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1632-series
Good addition to the series.Some good stories some not so good.

• The Creatures of Man
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Sentry Peak (War Between the Provinces, #1)
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • Agent of Vega & Other Stories
  • 1635: Music and Murder (1632 Universe)
  • The Forlorn
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • The Multiplex Man
  • Interstellar Patrol
  • The Chosen (The General, #6)
  • 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.

Grantville Gazette (1 - 10 of 72 books)
  • Grantville Gazette II (Grantville Gazette, #2)
  • Grantville Gazette III (Grantville Gazette, #3)
  • Grantville Gazette IV (Grantville Gazette, #4)
  • Grantville Gazette V (Grantville Gazette, #5)
  • Grantville Gazette VI (Grantville Gazette, #6)
  • Grantville Gazette, Volume 7 (Grantville Gazette, #7)
  • Grantville Gazette, Volume VIII (Grantville Gazette, #8)
  • Grantville Gazette, Volume IX (Grantville Gazette, #9)
  • Grantville Gazette, Volume X (Grantville Gazette, #10)
  • Grantville Gazette, Volume 11