Jump to ratings and reviews

Mason Creek #4

Perfect Night

Emma Hawkins is sure her life is set. She’s finally leaving Mason Creek behind, the small town she’s lived in her entire life.

That is until her former high school crush, Aiden Faulkner, strides back into town. The hot new Deputy Sheriff still gives her butterflies and is in a perfect position to help as she deals with the mystery surrounding tragedy that has struck her life.

When she asks for his help, she knows it’s a lot for him to keep her request a secret. Only, the time they spend together doesn’t go unnoticed. Rumors threaten everything, including their growing connection.

Undeniable attraction has never been their problem.

Timing is.

With her not so perfect fiancé in the rearview mirror, it becomes impossible for Aiden and her to remain just friends.

They say love is patient.

And Aiden’s been patiently waiting to give Emma that one perfect night.

221 pages, ebook

First published May 20, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Terri E. Laine

61 books1,221 followers
Terri E. Laine, USA Today bestselling author, left a lucrative career as a CPA to pursue her love for writing. Outside of her roles as a wife and mother of three, she’s always been a dreamer and as such became an avid reader at a young age.

Many years later, she got a crazy idea to write a novel and set out to try to publish it. With over a dozen titles published under various pen names, the rest is history. Her journey has been a blessing, and a dream realized. She looks forward to many more memories to come.

You can find more about her books at www.terrielaine.com.

Faceboook: www.facebook.com/TerriELaineAuthor

Newsletter sign up --> http://eepurl.com/bDJ9kb

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
13 (1%)
1 star
4 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews
Profile Image for Andrea.
1,393 reviews11 followers
May 13, 2021
My, oh my ... what a story.
Once again, Ms. Laine has outdone herself. Aiden and Emma are just perfect for each other, their story though is an emotional roller coaster. I adore both characters for their devotion to each other, for their honesty, even at times when honesty would result in hurting feelings. Both come across as very authentic. Their story is not only a heart-wrenching romance but also a suspenseful thriller. And if any author can combine both, it's Ms. Laine. Therefore, my feelings while reading ranked from 'aww ... they are so cute together ...' to gasping for breath, biting my fingernails, holding my breath, tears and laughter and everything in between.
The tension built slowly on various levels. This book is a page-turner and I practically read it in one go because I just couldn't put it down.
Profile Image for Vfc.
1,407 reviews
September 3, 2021
Emma Hawkins and Aiden Faulkner have harbored secret feelings for each other since they were teenagers. He was three years older than her, and by the time Emma made it to high school, he was with Darcy. He’d left, gone to college, and ended up in the LAPD. They weren’t always together, but the times they were broken up, she’d had a boyfriend. There timing was never right.

Doug Hawkins owns the local bar at Mason Creek, wanting to introduce Evan to her father, a disagreement ensues regarding their sleeping arrangements. He’d insisted that Evan sleep separately since they weren’t married yet. Stating that no daughter of his would be sleeping in sin. That was part of their dislike for each other. Evan thought her Dad’s rules were archaic. The next morning her father was found dead and the cause of death listed as a heart attack. Emma instinctively suspects foul play.

Aiden returns the day of Emma's father's funeral from LA, as the newly appointed Chief Deputy Sheriff and he vows to help her when Emma comes to him with her suspicions. But secrets have a habit of getting out.

Had the sheriff done his job, it wouldn’t have cost her to pay to have the body exhumed, he should have investigated it. The missing security disk was enough to question the circumstances surrounding her father’s death. Doing an autopsy then would have delivered answers that they might not get now. There was security footage of a car circling the bar shortly after her father arrived. It was driving slowly as if the person was calculating whether or not to go in. Emma might face backlash if she dug up her father’s remains and the medical examiner couldn’t rule her father’s death as either suspicious or a homicide. His death is ruled a homicide.

Many factions seem to have a vested interest in the future of the bar. Just as many interested parties seem to be warning Aiden away from Emma. After ending her engagement, Evan refuses to accept her decision and go quietly…instead it is later revealed that Evan’s also been sleeping with Darcy.

The murderer was the most likely of suspects and the clues were laid out during Aiden's investigation.

Aiden and Emma’s story is riddled with vengeful exes, especially as Darcy was relentless in her pursuit.

Aiden
Darcy had been his first long-term girlfriend, and they’d shared a lot of other firsts. She had wanted a commitment he couldn’t give when he left for college. As much as he cared for her, he hadn’t loved her. There had always been someone else he saw as his future wife, and he didn’t think it was fair for Darcy to live in her shadow.
“We both know neither of us would have stuck to a long-distance relationship, now you’re back”.
I caught her wrist and pulled her hands away. “Let’s not start.”
“Why not? Emma’s engaged to be married. You can give up that puppy crush you have on her.”
“She’s not married yet.”
“He’s rich and giving her everything a small-town cop can’t.”
“Jealous?”
“Why would I be jealous of her? I’ve had the one thing she hasn’t.”
I took the bait and asked, “What’s that?”
“You.”
“Darcy, it’s never going to happen.”
“Why? Because I was hurt when you left and did things I thought would hurt you?”
Word had come to me while I was in college about her antics. It hadn’t bothered me in the way she’d hoped, letting me know I’d made the right decision. “You only hurt yourself.”

Emma's dad probably shared the most insightful wisdom with Aiden, back in high school, because now that they're adults, they can have their forever.

Darcy certainly got around.

Different authors weaving different stories. A compilation series of small-town living, the author seamlessly intertwined this with the rest of the series.

Things left unsaid remain with us forever. Neither character seemed massively committed, Aiden’s thoughts about Darcy in the confines of his head were conflicted for someone seemingly besotted with Emma.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Brianna at Renee Entress's Blog.
3,645 reviews111 followers
4 Stars!

Terri E. Laine is up next in this crazy good series (different authors, all standalones), taking us back to Mason Creek (great to be back- I've read 3 out of the 4 books now!) and wow, what a way to return with this brand new romance that kept me on my toes basically THE whole journey.

Packed with suspense, heat, steam, angst, and all of the BEST feels... Perfect Night captivated me cover to cover and left me super curious about other books by this talented author. Emma and Aiden were quite the pair, hooking me early on in their journey. What a second chance they got.

This book is perfect for readers who like an easy, fast romance that will keep then hooked to all the words.

I totally recommend this book.

Reviewed for Renee Entress's Blog.
May 19, 2021
Book #4 in the series and the first book I’ve ever read by Terri E. Laine and I loved it! This was about Emma and Aiden. It’s a second chance for both of them that they never expected. We got a lot of Emma in Perfect Love. And we first meet Aiden in this book. There is some mystery and some crime solving. Aiden is a hot cop and former LAPD detective. Little did he know he would use those detective skills when he returned home to Mason Creek. Once again a great book in this series and as always it’s great to catch up with all our Mason Creek friends and meet new ones!

~Alexis💜
Profile Image for FunUndertheCovers.
1,525 reviews41 followers
May 19, 2021
What a fabulous addition to The Mason Creek Series!

I don't want to give too much away so I'll try to be vague and just say, Emma and Aiden are phenomenal! Their chemistry is absolutely amazing! One of the best friends to lovers books I have read this year.

Full of heartbreak, mystery, passion, and love. Perfect Night is nothing short of perfection. An absolute MUST READ!!
Profile Image for World Of Books 65.
1,821 reviews32 followers
May 30, 2021
Terri. E. Laine combined a great slow burn 2nd chance romance with a fascinating suspense element that kept me guessing right to the end. Full of surprise and intrigued Perfect Night kept me thoroughly engrossed from the prologue to the epilogue. And the building rekindling of Aiden and Emma's romance was just Perfect. Making this a Perfect Read and a Perfect 4th book in the Mason Creek series.

Emma is engaged but it is on a slippery slope when her father suddenly dies, Emma isn't convinced it was natural causes so she calls on her ex-crush Aiden who has just returned to Mason Creek and is now Chief Deputy Sheriff to help her find out the truth.

As the two dig deeper the danger increases but so does the attraction between them. But first, they have fiances, ex, and a potential killer to sort out.
Profile Image for Alecia (The Staircase Reader).
945 reviews65 followers
January 8, 2022
If you are new to the Mason Creek series, let me clue you in. This series is set in a very small town where secrets are scarce and gossip is plentiful, located in the heart of Montana. Each novel is based on a different couple. You can expect heart, heat, and a town full of nosy individuals. ENJOY!

In My Own Words:

Perfect Night by Terri E. Laine is the fourth book in the Mason Creek Series! If you are looking for a bit of suspense, Terri E. Laine has brought it in full with Emma Hawkins and Aiden Faulkner’s happily ever after!

There has always been an unspoken attraction between Emma and Aiden but it was never acted upon. You see, the time was never right for these two. If one was in a relationship, the other wasn’t and vice versa. When Aiden graduated, he moved to college out of state and wound up enrolled in the LAPD. But after a while, the big city life grew boring.

Now he’s back in Mason Creek, acting as the Chief Deputy Sheriff, with only one thing on his mind, finally winning the heart of Emma Hawkins.

Because there is a touch of suspense in this novel, I decided to cut the in my own words portion of this review short.

My Thoughts:

Terri E. Laine is a fairly new to me author. I had no idea what I was getting into, until it was too late!! Holy hell, there was no turning back where Emma and Aiden’s romance was concerned. I can’t say this enough, the chemistry between these two was FLAWLESS!!! There was never a moment when I thought the chemistry was slipping. Fire… Pure Fire!!

What can be said about Aiden Faulkner, aside from the fact that this man is temptation at it’s finest! Everything about this man’s personality was a love for me. He was caring, kind, compassionate, and he had this overwhelming urge to protect those he loves, I thought he was the perfect match for Emma. But you see, Emma didn’t need a man to protect her. Her dad raised her to be independent and he taught her the correct ways to fight a battle. Even her greatest enemies never stood a chance when this woman felt threatened.

The only downfall I found with this novel was the suspense aspect. I found the who did it aspect to be very predictable. In fact, I predicted it the moment I read about Emma’s suspicions. And my biggest wish was that it held on to that mystery aspect a bit longer. And that is one of the two reasons why I dropped a star on my rating. The other reason is due to my own selfish wants and needs. I honestly wanted more busy body movement where Emma and Aiden’s relationship was concerned. I missed the gossip columns. I would have loved to see Aiden’s point of view while reading them. We can chalk that one up to another case of Spoiled Reader Syndrome.

If you’re looking for a romance with comfy/cozy appeal with a small dose of suspense, I highly recommend you pick up Perfect Night by Terri. E. Laine!

________________

description

Find me here:
The Staircase Reader
Instagram
Facebook
Profile Image for Vera Blaz.
1,048 reviews2 followers
May 20, 2021
Emma Hawkins is visiting her father with her fiance Evan when they have a disagreement. The next morning she finds out her father has passed away. Diagnosis: heart attack. But Emma has a feeling at the back of her head that he didn't die of natural causes. Aiden Faulkner moves back to town the day of Emma's father's funeral. He's the new Chief Deputy Sheriff so when Emma comes to him with her suspicions, he vows to help her. The MC Scoop is constantly on the move and misinterpreted the time they spend together. Emma breaks things off with Evan, and grows closer to Aiden. When Aiden's investigation turns up the truth, the murderer is the most unlikely suspect. Emma is fortunate to have Aiden in her corner.

Emma's dad probably gave Aiden the most important piece of advice back in high school because now that they're adults, they can have their forever after. The author seamlessly intertwined this beautiful story with the rest of the series that has already been published. It's hard to believe that different authors have penned the stories.

I received an advance copy of this book at my request and voluntarily left this review.
Profile Image for Jennifer Pierson.
10.8k reviews128 followers
May 20, 2021
I absolutely LOVE Mason Creek, and despite all the nosey folks in town, I seriously would love to live there. Emma & Aiden have harbored secret feelings for each other since they were teenagers, but their timing has never been right. He leaves Mason Creek for the big city, but he inevitably ends up back home, and is now the new Deputy Sheriff, plus he still has his eye on her. She's engaged, but seriously, the fiancé is a dirtbag as said fiancé is a selfish man who doesn't even care that she had to bury her father because it was inconvenient for him, so it's only a matter of time at this point. Emma suspects her father was murdered, but no one else is listening except Aiden, but it's hard for him to investigate a bunch since everyone knows everything despite him trying to do so on the downlow. Perfect Night has the second chance at love aspect, heat, entertainment, and a great suspense factor since I found myself suspicious of more than one person. I'm telling you that you don't want to miss out so get to one clicking! HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Profile Image for Sarah Dale.
2,658 reviews66 followers
4.5 beautiful stars

Once I started this I didn't put it down until I had finished. I was struggling to sleep so thought I would read a few pages beofre the kindle hit me in the face but the next thing I knew it was 3am and I had finished this book.

I loved Emma and Aiden, I absolutely adored them and the connection was beautiful and red hot. They have loved each other from afar since they were teenagers but have never admitted their feelings. Emma never thought she was get the chance with Aiden as he moved away with college and never came back ..... until now. He has come back with a purpose and that's to win Emma's hart.

Terri did a beautiful job of combining a sweet small town, friends-to-lovers romance with a bit of suspense.

I am completely in love and addicted to this clever series of stories told by different authors and I can't wait to see what comes next.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review from the Author

Profile Image for Ashton.
211 reviews2 followers
May 19, 2021
* * I HAD BEEN GIVEN AN ADVANCED READERS COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR MY HONEST REVIEW * *

This is my first book by Terri E Laine and I 2as not disappointed!

It was full of chemistry and I have found lately that a lot of friends to lovers where they are seperate for a long time. They lose that pull that chemistry cause you get sucked to much into the past and wonder what really happened.

But in this story they work it all together, they work the past in with the present and build it all into the main arc of both characters.

I love how she didn't go right for the normal conflict and created it as a mystery that you were trying to solve right along with them.

I love how you can feel and see the emotional turmoil that is pulled from the leads over and over again.

Would 10/10 recommend this book!

-Ashton 🧡💙📚🤓
Profile Image for Renee Entress.
4,970 reviews69 followers
4 star

I was pulled right into this story. The story has laughs, secrets, pain, and heartbreak.

The below are part of this series if you want to read those books(s) first
Perfect Risk (Mason Creek #1) by C.A. Harms
Perfect Song (Mason Creek #2) by Lauren Runow
Perfect Love (Mason Creek #3) by A.M. Hargrove

This is Emma and Aiden’s story. She was all set to leave town. He comes back to town to be the Deputy Sheriff. She asks him for help but to keep it a secret. But secrets have a habit of getting out. Can they figure out the mystery before the rumors ruin the chance they might have of a future? Or will it all be for nothing as they were only helping each other out? Was it just one perfect night and no more?

I felt I could connect with the characters and the story was a great read.

I recommend this book.
Profile Image for Kylee.
2,425 reviews31 followers
May 16, 2021
Perfect Night has us returning to Mason Creek with another small town romance that will have you enamoured with not only the town but Emma and Aiden. A story of second chances, inevitable love with a touch of suspense and angst. Two people who have loved each other from afar are brought together by not only a tragedy but Aiden’s return to Mason Creek. Their story will have the words surrounding your heart and soul and captivating each and every one of your thoughts. As these two fight gossip, old feelings and ex’s it will take the chemistry and connection between these two that has an intensity you can feel to ensure these two stay on the path of forever. An overall beautiful story that has passion, heat and happiness.
Profile Image for Pamela Lilley.
1,898 reviews27 followers
May 21, 2021
I seem to be having a bit of a run on small town romance at the moment, and I’m loving it. Busy bodies gossiping, family interfering, and exes doing what exes do, all make for a sweet, sexy and addictive read with added emotion, suspense, and drama, because, yes, something fishy is going on in Mason Creek. Good job Aiden Faulkner is back in town to help Emma Hawkins, his high school crush. Only thing is, Emma is supposed to be getting married and leaving small town life behind. Maybe the big city is not all it’s cracked up to be though. I loved Emma and Aiden, they were perfect for each other even though they didn’t always handle their possible relationship/friendship very well, namely those pesky exes that always seem to get in the way of them and my happy ending. Great characters and an addictive story.
Profile Image for Nicki - The Overflowing Bookcase .
3,486 reviews151 followers
May 19, 2021
A heart warming romance about overcoming your past and reconnecting with those that matter. At a cross roads in her life Emma needs to make a decision to stay with the fiancé that doe snot lift her up or the high school crush that she cannot get over. With Aiden returning to accept the Deputy Sheriff position, the chemistry between them is catches fire. But can they make their future together? Or will baggage from the past make it too difficult to move forward? Another fabulous addition to a series that is destined to be a reader favorite. With great characters and a storyline that I could not put down, Terri Lane did not disappoint!!
775 reviews
May 15, 2021
Emma returns to Mason Creek with her fiancé, Evan for her father's funeral. Emma reconnects with her high school crush Aiden who has also returned to Mason Creek to be Chief Deputy Sheriff. Emma asks for his help as she believes her father was murdered. Aiden helps her as he thinks she may be right. There are a few suspects and while they are investigated Emma's wedding is called off and she and Aiden become close acting on their mutual high school attraction to each other. Another stunning addition to this series. Read an ARC for an honest review.
Profile Image for Reading  In the  Red Room .
1,429 reviews33 followers
May 16, 2021
Emma is grieving her fathers death while running his bar and dealing with a fiancé she isn’t even sure if she really loves him or not. Aiden is back in town to be part of the Sheriffs department and one look at Emma and he is happy he is back in town. But, oh the town gossip is working over time like crazy! This has been such a fun series....12 books by 12 different Authors about the most adorable quaint little town! This was a great quick little read. I felt bad for Emma but really enjoyed her story and thought she really grew up and matured though out this book. I can’t wait to read book 5.
469 reviews3 followers
May 20, 2021
This was a great book! It had the right amount of sweetness and mystery that kept you holding on page after page because you were so excited for the mystery to be solved. I love when an author gives just enough clues that you can try to figure out the mystery before it's revealed.

Emma and Aiden were so cute together and I'm so happy they were able to get their HEA after a bunch of missed opportunities. Aiden was so sweet in how he cared and loved Emma!

This was my first book by this author and I will be returning for more.
Profile Image for Kari Hansen.
8,737 reviews49 followers
May 21, 2021
When Emma’s father passes away suddenly, she suspects that there may be more to his death than first appears however no one believes her and that includes her fiancé.

Aiden has recently returned to his hometown and works in law enforcement. He has always been attracted to Emma so when she approaches him he agrees to investigate. Will they be able to uncover the truth about her father and their feelings for each other before it is too late?

This is a heartwarming story about two people who have always belonged together with just enough intrigue to make things interesting.
4.5 Star Review

I'm absolutely loving the Mason Creek series, and Perfect Night by Terri E Laine was amazing.

Emma has always crushed on Aiden but when he left Mason Creek to become a police officer in LA she moved on with her life and is now engaged to Evan but when her father dies and Aiden returns to Mason Creek for good how will Emma react. When Emma asks Aiden for help will this finally be there chance at happiness.

A fab story that I just couldn't put down Emma and Aiden has this amazing chemistry they were destined to be together.
Profile Image for Belinda.
808 reviews2 followers
May 14, 2021
Perfectly beautiful!! What a beautiful story by Terri who was a new author to me. This is book 4 in this series which I am thoroughly enjoying. This is Emma and Aiden’s story. Aiden is finally returning home after being in the LAPD and has always had a crush on Emma but nothing but friendship ever happened but circumstances change especially when tragedy happens these two find themselves wanting more but there are a few obstacles. I really enjoyed reading this book. I received this book as an arc for my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Nancy.
919 reviews37 followers
May 20, 2021
Small town romance at it's best! I loved Terri's story of Aiden and Emma. Aiden's back in town just as Emma's life is turned upside down. These two have known each other for years, so it makes sense she turns to him for help seeing he's the new Deputy Sheriff. Soon the small town gossip mill is running about them. Aiden and Emma's story is full of emotion, chemistry, family, friends, love and suspense that kept me guessing until the end.
Profile Image for Marianela Aybar (Mari Loves Books Blog).
7,759 reviews152 followers
May 20, 2021
Aiden and Emma were so perfect together. Their attraction and connection is undeniable but their story is not easy and it's emotional at times. The author does a great job of giving us who they really are while developing their friendship and relationship. I love that they're mature and honest about everything and there are no games. There is a mystery and suspense that just adds to the tension and balances it out nicely.
Profile Image for Suzanne.
2,377 reviews38 followers
May 21, 2021
This is one of those stories that will sneak up on you. It has the epic passion of a friends to lovers between Emma and Aiden. Especially when he shows up when he did. He was one of the few that believed her and had the knowledge and power to help her. There is a lot of intense push and pull because of the joys of a small town. My heart hurt for Emma when it came to her finding the answers she was seeking. Aiden was her rock though. I loved their banter and connection through the whole book as well as the bits with other characters from this town from past books. It had a perfect level of intrigue as well as romance. Laine hit the nail on the head with this one!
Profile Image for Debbie Hyde.
Author 23 books39 followers
May 24, 2021
Oh my my!!

Whew! This one had me from the moment I started it. This series gets better and better! These hero’s .. wow! Cops, band members, doctors all have me falling in love! This Deputy/Detective is my favorite hero so far!!! Why can’t there be men like this guy in real life? Aiden had my heart from the moment I met him!! And Emma has been one of my favorite characters since book one. This was the perfect romance.
Profile Image for K.A. Lightle.
Author 1 book18 followers
May 22, 2021
What would you do if things happen for a reason you don't know only to end up with what you thought was only a day dream of days gone by.

Your going to love Emma and adein story. Your going to.be swooning at what the hot cop does in the sweetest ways.for Emma.

Now I know your like what else can you tell me well guess what take the chance and read the work from Terri your going to be surprised at what you find in the pages.
Profile Image for Michelle Krystel .
1,862 reviews42 followers
June 25, 2021
I was given an advance readers copy of this book and have decided to write a voluntary honest review. I loved Aiden from Liam's book and I was dying to know his story. I loved perfect night I was already crazy about Aiden but I also love Emma. My heart just breaks for her though. Evan is a deuche and deserves a lot better. And truly dislike Darcy. I am curious about Alana I wasn't a fan of Cory.
Profile Image for Latifa Morrisette.
2,304 reviews48 followers
May 21, 2021
Perfect Night by Terri E Laine is the perfect addition to The Mason Creek series. This is small town romance with a murder to solve. I loved Aiden and Emma so much. I can't wait to see what the other book in this series have to offer.
Profile Image for Kimhe Rockchicks.
941 reviews45 followers
May 21, 2021
Perfect Night is just the perfect story. I absolutely loved this from Terri Laine. I can't get enough of this town. Mason Creek is the place to be... a whole lot of loving and plenty of sexy times....ooh give me more.
Profile Image for Karie Gibson.
1,684 reviews12 followers
May 22, 2021
Love this series

The mason Creek series is turning out to be a new fav! Aiden and Emma had been friends for years. He didn't know when he returned is when Emma would need him the most. This book was full of twists and turns and will keep you guessing. I loved this couple.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.