Start by marking “1634 The Baltic War” as Want to Read:
1634 The Baltic War

1634 The Baltic War

(Ring of Fire Main Line Novels #3)

The Baltic War which began in the novel 1633 is still raging, and the time-lost Americans of Grantville - the West Virginia town hurled back into the seventeenth century by a mysterious cosmic accident - are caught in the middle of it.

Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden and Emperor of the United States of Europe, prepares a counter-attack on the combined forces of France,
Published May 1st 2007 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about 1634 The Baltic War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1634 The Baltic War

Start your review of 1634 The Baltic War
Kyle
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I've been wanting to read this book for over a year now, but in my particular way, I waited until I found it in a store, rather than order it (I found it at the excellent, if small, Moonraker Books in Langley, WA on Whidbey Island, by the way)

This book was pretty much what I'd expected it would be and do. I wavered between giving it three or four stars, because I really did enjoy reading it, but I eventually came down on the three star side of the question. I have the feeling that all of the
Caleb
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a ride! It's hard to review a book that's well into a series without spoiling anything, but I can say for sure that if you've made it past the last book's set-up, this one pays off on nearly everything it laid out. War is underway and it's time to see what the up-timers and their German and Swedish allies have up their sleeves to counter the armies and navies of France, Spain, Denmark and England.

With three major storylines going at once (and several small ones besides), I'm honestly a bit
Debrac2014
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great story in the series! I especially enjoyed how the Tower of London imprisonment was resolved! Harry is a great character! Good to see Eddie again.
Charlene
Finally finished this! My second book in "The Ring of Fire" sf/historical novel series about the aftereffects when a West Virginia mining town (year 2000) is transported back in time to the middle of the Thirty Year War in Germany. It was too long and had too many story lines, too many characters. The best story line was the "imprisonment" of the American diplomatic delegation to King Charles I in the Tower of London and their eventual escape, taking a young Oliver Cromwell (imprisoned before ...more
Ari
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, seriesfiction
This is approximately the 3rd book in the 1632 Alternate Universe. (The series has several strands; there's another 3rd book, "Galileo Affair" that isn't causally linked to this).

It's a big novel. It has a large cast of characters, covers events across hundreds of miles, and in several national characters. Even so, keeping it all straight isn't too bad.

It reads like a combination of political thriller and action movie; there's a number of scenes put in for pure cinematic value. There's also the
Matt Velasco
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1632 Series

I started reading the 1632 series from the beginning again especially since some new books have come out in the last couple of years and Mr Flint was so gracious enough to sign the books I already have in my collection at the World Science Fiction Convention (SASQUAN 2015) this year. 1634: The Baltic War is a continuation of the series and is truly military science fiction at its best. Despite the many subplots in the book, it is entertaining, full of suspense and includes very
Kamas Kirian
Another entertaining book in the series. I liked the part set in England this time, unlike in 1633 where I found that part a little tedious. Instead, it was the part set in France which I found a little underwhelming. The parts set in and around Denmark and the Netherlands were quite fascinating. Most of the newly introduced characters kept my interest as well. I'm hoping to see more of Ulrik, Baldur and Harry Lefferts.

The Baen CD eBook was formatted OK, but did have a number of noticeable
John
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if its that the series is losing the novelty, or whether this book just wasn't as captivating. The first 2 were easily 5-star books in my opinion. This didn't seem to grab as hard, but that could just be my preference. I still love the premise, and am interested to see how things progress...
Bruce Linton
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
So far so good. This is a series of What If? histories where a group of Americans have been transplanted into the 1630's and bring their technological knowledge and rewrite history. Fun, imaginative and thought provoking. 4 Stars for now, possibly a fifth when I finish.
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 1632, 2020, 2014
Yet another great book in this superb series. 2018 re-read: So great to enjoy the resolution of the group held captive in the Tower of London. 2020 re-read: And the adventures of Eddie Cantrell agent 007.
Ron
3.5 stars. Sure it's silly, but it's fun. Flint's continuing, fractured saga of alternate European history is less to be taken seriously then to be enjoyed. Like pop corn. I did.

A good read.
Seth
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
1634: The Baltic War, although a weighty volume in its own right, is but one stitch in the giant tapestry that is Eric Flint's sweeping Ring of Fire series. The series imagines the tumultuous Thirty Years War in seventeenth-century Europe disrupted by the arrival of a small West Virginia town sent back in time from the year 2000 by a freak cosmic accident. As masterfully told in the series opener 1632, the injection of modern technology and ideas into this bleak post-Reformation world has ...more
Christopher
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Here is where you finally get the long-anticipated confrontation between the forces backed by Grantville's 'uptime' residents and the cabal of 'down-time' tyrants arrayed against them. Compared to this book, the Battle of Wismar at the end of 1633 is just a tease. In THE BALTIC WAR we are treated to the face-to-face confrontation between armies supported by modern-day ingenuity and those employing hardware and tactics of the 17th century. While the outcome is completely predictable and expected, ...more
Steven
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I gave the two previous books in the main plot sequence 4 stars.
I really enjoy the concept as a way to look at some of the social aspects of Europe in the 17th century. For those that criticize it, well, you either suspend your belief and go along for the ride or you don't.
What is actually bothering me about this book and why I only give it 3 stars is character development. For the first two books and even the beginning of this one the characters were developing nicely into 3D personalities
Mike
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recently completed Eric Flints 1634: The Baltic War, fourth I think in the series that begins with 1632. I was trying to read them in order, but missed 1634: The Galileo Affair. I am impressed by the collaborative process employed by Mr. Flint (do not skip the acknowledgements and forwards). The series reminds me of Tom Clancys Red Storm Rising which was a collaborative novel written in partnership with a gamer. In other words, reading the Flint series in not unlike playing Civilization IV in ...more
Victoria Trout
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much, I can't gush enough! I enjoy history stories, although I am not very familiar with this time period. I feel it challenges me to do my own research on the events that are happening in the story, which I think is beneficial.

The premise of the story is a small town in West Virginia transported back in time to the 1632 German area (since this area doesn't have a government for the whole area I call it the German area). It's a blend of authors and characters that makes
Alex Shrugged
"1634: The Baltic War" is the direct sequel to "1633", and covers part of the 30 Years War around the Baltic Sea and partly England. I liked it a lot even though the ending was abrupt. Luckily I already have the sequel to this sequel and I'll probably move right into that one. I'm reading several books right now.

The story: The West Virginia coal-mining town of Grantville was sent back in time to 1632, and ever since then they've been kicking butt in the 30 Years' War. They are now part of the
Warren Dunham
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
the year is 1632 Grantville has been in the the 17th century for 2 years now but not all is safe for them or their way of life, for war is on all sides of them. This book follows the Baltic portion of the war in 1634 as well as the Rescue of the diplomatic mission to Europe from the tower of London.
I'm a lover of history and alternate history, and by this time in the story history has been significantly altered so it gives us a question of what could have been different.

Many of the Characters
Mauri
Finished, finally! Awesome read, as always. I can't tell who's writing what, which means that Flint has certainly improved. Still a bit crude and I wish the authors would realize that their token young female character doesn't outweigh the fact that most of the young interesting characters are male.

There was little emphasis on Rebecca Abranel or Gretchen Richter this time around as well. I also find that I get a bit concerned that the authors have dropped the thread of some characters.
John
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm still enjoying the "Ring of Fire" series, but like many alternate history yarns it's starting to lose its momentum the farther it gets from the departure point. Frankly, the ripples from Grantville's unexpected appearance in 17th-Century Thuringia are getting too complicated to really keep track of in a coherent way, and some are less believable than others (I really dislike the 21st Century slang becoming commonplace, for example). And Weber (and now Flint)'s take on relationships is still ...more
Jeremy Preacher
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
The Baltic War is pretty much straight military-historical fiction, with of course the "up-time" twist. There are some fun characters (Prince Ulrik is quite the charmer) and I think the comparative focus helped it avoid some of the tediousness of Weber and Flint's prior effort in the series. (That being said, this is not a series to pick up if infodumps bug you. There's at least one staid history textbook wedged between the pages of the series as a whole.)

I didn't really care for the England
Bobscopatz
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This installment in the series is just awesome. I thought the first book (1632) was unbeatable, but this one is at least its equal, if not a little bit better in some ways. The characters are becoming more realistic as the series progresses and we're getting a sense of how they tick. All along, it's like a pleasant history lesson at a level of detail that's just amazing. Flint is very good at providing just the right amount of explanatory material for the technologies (old and new) involved ...more
David
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1634: The Baltic War another fun and interesting read in the 1632 Universe created by Eric Flint. In this installment we have one Grantville death, four betrothals, a jail break, one USE ship sunk and more. I really enjoy this series. It's fun Alt-History, Science Fiction, and Historical background. I always learn something new about the 30 years war.
Aamundson
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A satisfying conclusion to the previous novel. It was a little slow in the beginning - sieges are boring for those involved, and narrative about sieges suffers from some of the same issues. Overall there were just enough active plotlines to make up for the those that were idle though.
John Barclay
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like this series. I'm glad that some things in the world are changing without the "uptimer's" always winning.
Nhat Le
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exhilarating Read

I love this whole series so much! I love the "Americanese" mixed in with 17th century intrigue. Highly recommend this book and the 1632 book series.
Marsha Valance
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
"1634: The Baltic War" falls between "1633" and "1634: The Galileo Affair" in the internal chronology of the Assiti Shards universe, where a small West Virginia town from 2000 AD is dropped by alien artists into the midst of Germanys Thirty Years War. The original novel, "1632", has spawned an extensive series of authorized novels, short stories and fan-fiction (which evolved into the first ten volumes of The Grantville Gazette). There are two discussion lists on the publishers website (in the ...more
Daniel Bratell
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It is an impressive alternative history universe Eric Flint and his colleagues are building in this and the other books. This is more or less the direct successor of 1633 and it follows up on a lot of story threads, but it's here that the story grows too big.

With a few thousand Americans and their books and other possessions all impacting the world around them everything changes. Every kind or noble person has by now read the histories and know what will happen, or could happen or is likely to
Michael Hatt
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Have discovered that this series of books (The Ring of Fire) is not an easy series to read in order. There are several anthologies of short stories (The Grantville Gazette and The Ring of Fire) that are stuck between complete novels. Not being a big short story fan, I am pretty much skipping them. Have finished 1634 The Baltic War, which is supposedly the direct sequel to 1633, the last book that I read. And it may be difficult to decide which book I should read next if I want to continue with ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 1635: The Wars for the Rhine
  • Island in the Sea of Time (Nantucket, #1)
  • 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • 1636: The Barbie Consortium (Ring of Fire Book 18)
  • 1636: Seas of Fortune (Assiti Shards, #20)
  • The Protector's War (Emberverse, #2)
  • The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3)
  • The Danish Scheme
  • March to the Sea (Empire of Man, #2)
  • Dies the Fire (Emberverse, #1)
  • Masquerade in Lodi (Penric & Desdemona, #9)
  • March to the Stars (Empire of Man, #3)
  • March Upcountry (Empire of Man, #1)
  • Passages (Destiny's Crucible #6)
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Against the Tide of Years (Nantucket, #2)
  • Delphi Alliance (Delphi in Space #5)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.

Ring of Fire Main Line Novels (7 books)
  • 1632