Start by marking “The Grand Crusade (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Grand Crusade (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #3)

The Grand Crusade

(DragonCrown War Cycle #3)

In this incredible conclusion to the epic fantasy saga, continuing from When Dragons Rage, New York Times bestselling author Michael A. Stackpole returns to a world of mystery, prophecy, and magick, where dreams--for better or worse--can come true. . . .

The hope of the future, Will Norrington, prophesied to bring down the northern tyrant Chytrine and redeem the world, is s
Published August 31st 2004 by Random House Inc (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Grand Crusade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grand Crusade

Jedimelinda
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A truly wonderful end to Michael Stackpole's DragonCrown War Cycle. There is so much going on throughout the entire series (there are 3 books in the main series) that I won't even try to write anything about the parallel plots and storylines. However, I will say that MS does an excellent job interweaving everything until all the stories converge at the end of The Grand Crusade. Rarely am I disappointed to have to say good-bye to characters, but I was when I read the final words of this novel. (M ...more
Alain
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"A Norrington to lead them.
Immortal, washed in fire.
Victorious, from sea to ice.
Power of the North he will shatter,
A scourge he will kill,
Then Vorquellyn will redeem."

Exceptional ending to the saga. Not the best book in the series but definitely was worth the pleasure reading. Truly sad to leave this world.
T J
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Will Norrington is dead, leaving everyone wondering if the prophesy would ever come true. Will's friends must keep fighting the Nor-Witch if they are to survive. This is one page turning exciting read with twist and turns that keep you guessing who will win this deadly war.
Kei
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful ending to the series.
Some surprises, some things foreshadowed solidly, though skillfully, rather than with a baseball bat.
Bookintserv
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a great read!! i wanted it to go on and on! it was one of the series i couldn't stop reading and still wanted to go on. rich and deep in characters and worldbuilding. everything fits! These are books, that make you forget your daily problems and leave you very very satisfied! Thank you Michael!!!
Mark
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Out of all of the books I've ever bought or had purchased for me since I turned about ten years old, there are only four I have ever straight up thrown away. One of these was Wizard's First Rule (obvious) and the other three were The DragonCrown War Cycle books.

That sounds pretty harsh and I don't mean it to be - except about Wizard's First Rule, because Goodkind... yeah. This trilogy by Michael A. Stackpole was not on that level of badness. It was not terrible at all, in fact. It was decidedly
Xeddicus
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shari  Mulluane
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have been trying to figure out why something felt slightly off about this last book. The action was good, there were surprises, twists and turns to savor, I cannot think of any loose ends that are not resolved but something failed to leave me satisfied. Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it was a great book, and a fast read. I had a stake in the characters and truly wanted to know how everything turned out. Granted, as with any prophecy driven book, you know how it will end, good wins and evil ...more
Lisa
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review is for the quadrilogy (a prequel and then the three in the DragonCrown War Cycle) as a whole, not just this one book. It's grand entertainment! There's magic, elves, kings, queens (good and evil), dragons, other unique races, action, warfare, a smidgen of romance (but not too much) and a big ole' prophecy that's central to all the action. The characters were well fleshed out. One thing that makes a book good (for me, at least) is when you care about what happens to the characters, wh ...more
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I once saw an interview with Mr. Stackpole in which he described his philosophy to writing this book. Short chapters. As the end of each chapter approaches, you should look for a cliff hanger to end the chapter on. He said something like "This will make your book a quick read. It might be crap, but everyone will tell you it was a page turner"

He succeeded in making this book a page turner. I read it as fast as humanly possible. Staying up most of the night to get it finished. I enjoyed every mome
Brian Allen
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
IbnQamar
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
Oh, this was a disappointment.

Killing off a major character is a move that takes guts. Killing off a major character in a non-satisfying method is even more gutsy. But doing so demands a high payoff from the author, and The Grand Crusade fails to provide. Tantalizing hints are replaced with a "gotcha" method which falls utterly flat. While Stackpole's desire to break away from traditional fantasy narrative is well-taken, the execution needs work.

The first two volumes in this series (Dark Glory
Ann
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Misschien is het omdat ik in boek 3 begon en het Engels is (waar ik normaal geen problemen mee heb). Maar ik kon de personages niet volgen. Het waren er teveel en ik kon me er geen voorstelling van maken. Plus ik vond het vreemd dat ze allerlei vreemde samenstellingen van mensen (met vleugels, extra benen etc.) wel normaal vinden, maar draken niet.
Maar dat ligt waarschijnlijk aan het feit dat ik de vorige 2 boeken niet heb gelezen.
Atul Singh
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Among my favorites wraps ups to a series, ever.

Would love to revisit thee characters. Author moved on to a historical fantasy revolutionary war series, which isn't bad, but this series truly created about 4, maybe 4 stand out, original characters.
And that's not even counting Will.
The elves in this series are original, heroic, and tragic.
The magic was some of the best written I've come across in the genre, best explained, best explored; you know what I mean if you read the genre.
Jason
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A fitting conclusion the this wonderful DargaonCrown war series. What I liked about this series was that it was an unconventional fantasy series. There was technology and Magic, the elves were not always nice and the writing was gritty and descriptive. It also had good use of military battles in here. I would recommend this to fans who have read fantasy for awhile and are looking for something different.
Kateri
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a brilliant conclusion to the Dragon Crown Cycle. I was really impressed that it was not a "perfect" happy ending, as that would not have fit the rest of the series. I didn't love the series at the beginning, and the second book had a really killer, cliff-hanger ending. But this book made it all worth it. Excellent.
Donna Maroulis
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story and characters, but there were too many varying creatures to keep track of them all--a bit confusing. It was a very lengthy book, even though I liked it , I was getting impatient to be done...
David
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
The story has a descent enough conclusion, but I think he stretched things too much as far as the plot went. But it's good to try different things.
Craig
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
The conclusion of the DragonCrown War series. Lots of detailed military action and wrapped up the storylines of the characters. I found it a pretty good read and was satisfied with the ending.
Brandi
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
Tried twice. Too slow. Sad to be the ending book of the series.
Denise
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The DragonCrown War Cycle is a deep, rich fantasy trilogy with a complex plot and vivid characters. I didn't want it to end.
Ed
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
On the whole I enjoyed the series but was disappointed with the ending.
Elizabeth
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A most satisfying wrap up to a very engaging series .. even if I did skip quickly through some of the battle sequences.
Marty
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down- literally
Marielle
3.5
Connie
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons
I loved the end of this book. I didn't like the one guy(leaving un-named so you don't get a spoiler) in it ending up alone, but other than that it was great!
Michael Garner
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ugh, I had to drag myself to finish this series. I enjoyed the start of the series, but the ending of this series was boring.
Cergorach
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Will the suffering never end! Then he fills the last 50-100 pages with more action than the two previous books combined.
Steve
Aug 26, 2008
  • Spirit of the Stone (Shadowleague, #2)
  • The Fortress of Glass
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • Mistress of the Pearl (The Pearl Saga, #3)
  • Devlin's Honor (Sword of Change, #2)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • The Winter Oak (Summer Country, #2)
  • The Lure of the Basilisk (The Lords of Dûs, #1)
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • Faery Lands Forlorn (A Man of His Word, #2)
  • A Demon in the Desert (Grimluk, Demon Hunter, #1)
  • Forbidden Magic (The Godwars, #1)
  • Rulers of the Darkness (Darkness, #4)
  • Dragon Mound (Knight in Shadow, #1)
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)
  • Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2)

DragonCrown War Cycle (4 books)
  • The Dark Glory War (The DragonCrown War Cycle prequel)
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • When Dragons Rage (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #2)