Start by marking “Strenuous Life” as Want to Read:
Strenuous Life

Strenuous Life

Teddy Roosevelt lived a full and accomplished life and shared many of his beliefs in this book, in which he tells how to live life to its most productive and fullest.
Published January 1st 1970 by Applewood Books (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Strenuous Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strenuous Life

Start your review of Strenuous Life
Mark
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Theodore Roosevelt needs no introduction. However, much of his writings do. This collection of essays, including the Strenuous Life, is a good starting point for getting to know the Roosevelt that stated: "speak softly and carry a big stick". His essays here do not speak so softly, but they do carry a big stick. I wish that I could say that I enjoyed them, but the essays primarily extol military might, "clean and healthy lives", righteousness and duty to country.

While these concepts are not in
Gregory Rothbard
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Theodore Roosevelt encouraged me to get off my butt and get the dishes in the dishwasher, to start the washing machine, and to start my car to run errands.
Stephen Williams
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Roosevelt must be taken as a man of his time and by virtue of his accomplishments and sheer willpower one of the greatest men of his time. His energy, discipline, and zeal were admirable, even though their ends were not always wise or right. He is at his best when applying the philosophy of the strenuous life to the individual, rather than to the nation, and there are portions of this speech that I wish I could put into the hearts of every middle school boy I teach.

However, it is interesting
John
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So as it turns out, everything Roosevelt ever said was done for the purposes of training men for manliness. At least that's how it seems. Is it a little ridiculous and a lot sexist/jingoistic? Yep, but it's also the most inspiring stuff you'll be likely to read from the mouth of an American president. No other orator has made me want to punch a wildebeest in the face or subdue barbarian cultures more. (Hmm, that second bit is a little unsavory, isn't it?) Nevertheless, Roosevelt paints a very ...more
John Shelton
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone considering public lifewhether as a politician, a pastor, or any other leader of peopleought to study Teddy Roosevelt. Latitude and Longitude Among Reformers is the most worthy speech in this collection, a speech that extols the twin dangers of inefficiency and unrighteousness. Expediency should never come at the cost of unrighteousness, TR warns, but an untethered idealism that despises the compromises and small victories of public life is the sign of a deficient man. ...more
Eric
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Strenuous Life is a must read for everyone and anyone. It is the text of a speech given by President Theodore Roosevelt in which he preaches the "doctrine of the strenuous life." He argues in the speech that it is only through a life of honest work and labor can we reach the highest form of success. In an age where a life of leisure calls to us, this book is a reminder of the greatness in mankind which is only realizable through a strenuous life.
Carolyn Page
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
So I somehow got the idea that this was Teddy's autobiography. It's actually a hard-cover copy of a brief speech he gave. It's a good speech, and essentially encapsulates his personal philosophy.
Casey Harbison
Well written and inspirational but just wasnt a page turner for me. Im glad I read the book and it provided me an opportunity to learn about the social and political cultural of that time. ...more
Mohammad Ali Abedi
Nations that expand and nations that do not expand may both ultimately go down, but the one leaves heirs and a glorious memory, and the other leaves neither.

I admire Theodore Roosevelt only to the extent that he is had a strong character and was able to achieve his goals by strengthening and pushing himself to his own limits.

However, this does not mean I subscribe to any of his philosophies. In many ways, if lines were drawn, my side and Roosevelts would be opposite. Reading his speeches,
Tim
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this speech was somewhat weak in articulating the virtues of "virility" and "the strenuous life" and was also weak in clear-headed, unsuperstitious reasoning; instead, it preached quite intolerably the collectivism and typically modern superstition of nationhood, complete with such tripe as the "honors" and "duties" intrinsic therein, and necessity for nations to expand and conquer or else be destroyed within and without. In short, it is a sort of softer and less racially oriented ...more
Matt Leiv
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spiritswho neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory of defeat" ~Theodore Roosevelt

Not so much book as it is speech (given 1905 in Chicago), this is a great little read about the emphasis on Americans remaining hard working. Or at least that they should remain hard working, even though a life of luxury was
Willow Redd
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of essays and speeches from Theodore Roosevelt, mostly focusing on having a strong work ethic, Christian fellowship, and the greatness of the American people in the aftermath of two wars; the Civil War and the Spanish-American War, which Roosevelt fought in.

In the various speeches and essays included here, Roosevelt's main points revolve around American leadership and what makes for a great citizen in the republic. This, unfortunately, is at the disservice of Native Americans and anyone
Chris
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Theodore and I have a strange relationship because I disagree with most of his politics and views but I still find him a fascinating historical figure. Strenuous Life is the text of a speech TR gave which as some highlights such as encouraging people to take risks, to not be afraid of defeat, to have convictions, and not to settle for mediocrity. But at the same time, these encouragements are directed toward bolstering expansion of the American Empire, increasing "manliness," and promoting war. ...more
Daniel Allen
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No book wants to make you go into the woods and wrestle a moose more than this collection of essays and addresses. While not all of them are necessarily pertinent to living a good life, and deal more with the skills of a politician and diplomat, there are a few gems within the book which make this a worthwhile read. Being one of the most skilled orators of our time, it is unsurprising that many of his essays read incredibly well -- though they are quite long and certainly dense. A recommended ...more
Kevin DeLong
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think it's cool how this is a small portable book that can be referenced anytime. A reminder of how action is more important than anything else in life. How To Do or Not To Do something greatly affects our futures as individuals and as a country.

I always want to make the most of my time. This book is a nice kick in the butt when I pull it off the shelf from time to time during periods when my plans and thoughts exceed my productivity and accomplishments.

I will have this the rest of my life.
klagan
Definite reread. Roosevelt's tactics and opinions on social and political ideas stand out in stark to those of our day, and I believe are better and more sustainable. The vocabulary was frequently beyond my comprehension, so it took me a great deal of time to process what he was saying, but it was of absolutely worth the time and effort spent to understand his words. I will read again in the future, and will, I am sure, glean even more value from doing so.
Kevin Hawkins
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book truly inspiring book. I purchased this book at the Theodore Roosevelt home on East 20th street in New York as a souvenir. I am glad I bought this book as opposed to whatever I had in my hand. And because it is so small, I can keep it in my briefcase. The only drawback is the formatting of the book.
Jonathan
a fairly limited selection (pretty much 1899 to 1901) but some good speeches/essays here. TR could be very inspiring at times, but also super jingoistic (plus warlike) and casually sexist. so if you separate the wheat from the chaff, you at least get some good quotes among all the outdated rhetoric.
Lib DM
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
As much as I absolutely respect and admire Roosevelt, I can't hide from the fact that he was very much at obsessed with battle. This passage does spark the question "if a savage, unruly nation run by corrupt leaders are taken over and governed by another and do very well, does the ends justify the means?"
Christina Packard
TR writes very well, or I wonder how much is his writing on his speeches and other essays? Listening to this book what he has to say makes a lot of sense, but it is a bit of a snooze fest. I do not see people today sitting and listening and then absorbing all he is saying. This was a different read for me where I normally would not have read this book except that it was on a major book list.
Devin Voorsanger
Great companion to his biography

An amazing accompaniment to reading biographies of Theodore Roosevelt and the other great men of the time stoney a sense for what he was actually saying to people and putting a more mutli-dimensional flair to the the man. Highly recommend.
Devonne West
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
A short treatise by Teddy Roosevelt extolling & encouraging the virtue of hard work. It is good for the individual and the nation. A short, easy read but definitely a should-be-read book for everyone.
Andrew
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this an inspiring excerpt in a time when we need more rugged individualism. While some of his thoughts lean sexist, I found it more a sign of that time. Omitting that, I think there is great value in the embrace of mental toughness for all.
livvy.jane33
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first half of this I was nodding my head saying "Yes!" Whole heartedly. But the second half I was just confused. I didn't really know where Teddy was going, or what his main point was. Overall a really good read.
Oralié
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed ...more
Greg Brown
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found many of Roosevelt's ideas to be as relevant today as when he expressed them. Our current batch of politicians could benefit from them, certainly.
Janice
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!
Liam
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He repeats himself, but when he does he's right.
P.S. Winn
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A look into the life of a President that shows his ideas and ideals in a different way than a regular history book could.
Eric Klamm
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of speeches by Teddy, some of which were extremely insightful, other speeches he droned on a bit. Still good stuff though

• The Frontier in American History
  • A River Runs Through it and Other Stories
  • The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America
  • The Dangerous Book for Boys
  • The Turk: The Life and Times of the Famous Eighteenth-Century Chess-Playing Machine
  • The Story of My Boyhood and Youth
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Beethoven's Symphonies: Nine Approaches to Art and Ideas
  • I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers
  • A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America
  • The Stiehl Assassin (The Fall of Shannara #3)
  • On Grand Strategy
  • Sounder
  • Bushido: The Soul of Japan. A Classic Essay on Samurai Ethics
  • Buddhism without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening
  • American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., also known as T.R., and to the public (but never to friends and family) as Teddy, was the twenty-sixth President of the United States, and a leader of the Republican Party and of the Progressive Movement.

He became the youngest President in United States history at the age of 42. He served in many roles including Governor of New York, historian, naturalist, explorer,