Start by marking “Would I lie to you?” as Want to Read:
Would I lie to you?

Would I lie to you?

From fresh new voice Aliya Ali-Afzal, Would I Lie to You? is a page-turning, warm and funny debut about what happens when you have your dream life – and are about to lose it.

At the school gates, Faiza fits in. It took a few years, but now the snobbish mothers who mistook her for the nanny treat her as one of their own. She's learned to crack their subtle codes, speak their
Expected publication: July 8th 2021 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about Would I lie to you?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Would I lie to you?

Start your review of Would I lie to you?
Paul Fulcher
May 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2021
At least there were some advantages to being an identikit Wimbledon Village mother: women who occupied themselves with benign activities, like after-school ballet, cheering at rugby matches, Friday night dinner parties and mid-morning coffee dates, although of course, this was never the whole story. I knew people saw me like that too. That was my ‘subcategory’ anyway. The initial classification was, of course, always, brown, Muslim, and of Pakistani origin.

“Would I lie to you?” by Aliya Ali-Afza
Neema Shah
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The characters in Would I Lie to You jump off the page, from Faiza and Tom to the various secondary characters including her parents, her children and her assortment of friends. I loved the central hook - it's a lie that will unravel throughout the story and shake the foundations of a happy marriage. This is a smart, pacy and often funny novel with a dilemma that is both tension-building and all too real.

It's also incredibly refreshing to see British Asian and in particular Muslim culture portra
Amyn
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I feel blessed after reading this book. I stayed up late to finish it and it was so worth it. The writing is fast paced, so you'll never want to stop. Even when I had to stop reading, my mind was always going back to the book. I love the characters. The plot twists were well placed and properly resolved, the dialogue is so vivid, you can almost hear them.
This novel has the right amount of tension to entertain. I can't wait to recommend this novel to everyone and their mommies.
Apr 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I just fell into this and couldn’t stop... the writing is so fresh and light; funny in places, but moving in others, I can’t believe it’s a debut. Highly recommended.
Zeba
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Would I Lie To You is the story of Faiza and how she navigates life as a wife, mother, daughter and member of the yummy-mummy set in South West London. Faiza is a Pakistani-British woman who seems to have the perfect life with her banker husband Tom, her daughter and two sons. She is part of a group of women who are all wealthy and in order to fit in with this group, Faiza finds herself in a downward spiral of pushing past all her reservations and indulging in things she wouldn't do otherwise. B ...more
Ian
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a compelling read, it's fast-paced and easy to get on board with the characters and the various issues. Financial secrets and the nightmares these create are a big burden these days, and this book was a complete page turner for me

B.S. Casey
Mar 06, 2021 rated it really liked it

Genre: Womens Fiction / Romance

Release Date: 8th July 2021

Trigger Warnings: Racism, Alcohol, Sexual Assuault, References to suicide and self-injury.

Faiza has it all - her life is something pulled straight from the pages of a glossy magazine.

She has Tom, her handsome banker husband, three loving children, a busy social life among the elite mums of London and the envy-inducing home. She has curated the perfect life, the one she so desperately desired before.

But it's not all that it seems on t
Sophie Flynn
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant debut!

The opening chapter sees Faizia at a swanky botox party full of wealthy white Londoners. Initially, I didn't know if this would be the book for me as I cannot imagine a life in which a botox party, or buying designer clothes on credit cards, is anywhere near normal. But the author did such a fantastic job of making us empathise with Faizia and understand why those things were so important to her that I totally fell in love.

At times, Would I Lie To You? has hints of Confess
Ionarr
Apr 16, 2021 rated it did not like it
This is an over-long book that touches superficially on issues of money, (straight, middle class) marriage, family, culture, racism, mental health, (terribly on) suicide, and even manages to throw in some sexual harassment. If it was closer to 100 pages than 400 it could be a tightly plotted domestic thriller about the hypocrisy of the moneyed middle classes, but unfortunately that's not what it is. If you enjoy reading about the specific yummy mummy subset of South West London's suburban middle ...more
Kate Sawyer
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly compelling domestic psychological...thriller, I guess? It's hard to classify this book because it is lots of things- it leaves you on the edge of your seat, but it's warm and funny so it is a happy read, even though it is dealing with some tricky subjects.
The biggest highlight for me was the strength of the voice. The narrator, and main character, Faiza is a delight. I defy anyone not to love her from the very first page. Honest (at least with us!), observant and warm, she navigate
Emma Taplin
Jun 01, 2021
Aliya Ali-Afzal
May 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Laure

• The Good Sister
  • Last One at the Party
  • All Her Fault
  • The Anatomy of Desire
  • Defy the Night (Defy the Night, #1)
  • The Castaways
  • One of Them
  • Acts of Desperation
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • Brown Baby: A Memoir of Race, Family and Home
  • Unspoken: Toxic Masculinity and How I Faced the Man Within the Man
  • The Night Always Comes
  • Little Fish
  • The Intimacy Experiment (The Roommate, #2)
  • Kate in Waiting