Start by marking “An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)” as Want to Read:
An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)

An Experiment In Treason

(Sir John Fielding #9)

Sir John Fielding has trailed a packet of controversial letters from London to the colony of Massachusetts. But when the suspect in the theft is found dead, Sir John turns his eye on the possible involvement of Benjamin Franklin.
Published October 7th 2003 by Berkley (first published 2002)

Start your review of An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
Stacie  Haden
Exceptional, as I've come to expect from this series.

London, 1773
Sandy Bell
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series. Alexander never lets me down. A fun romp in 1770s London with murder, stolen letters, giant slave hunter, and all the while visiting with Benjamin Franklin. What else do you need?
Spuddie
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
#9 Sir John Fielding mystery in which Jeremy and Sir John become involved in a plot involving Benjamin Franklin and the American colonies. Someone has stolen a packet of letters from the home of a prominent member of Parliament, believed to be damning to certain British officials with regard to the rights of the Colonials. A footman was brutally coshed on the head and killed during the burglary, therefore it’s a murder case as well. Mr. Franklin is high on the suspect list as having hired certai ...more
LJ
AN EXPERIMENT IN TREASON – G+
Bruce Alexander – 9th in series
Sir John Fielding, a blind, 18th-century London judge, and his orphan accomplice, Jeremy, get mixed up in pre-Revolutionary War intrigue when a packet of incendiary letters is stolen from the London residence of a prominent official, and turns up in the colony of Massachusetts. Why are the contents so controversial? Why has a suspect in the theft turned up dead? And what should Sir John do about his feeling that Benjamin Franklin himsel
Beth
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The third book I have read in the Sir John Fielding Mystery, An Experiment in Treason includes several real life characters, including Benjamin Franklin, in a story of murder, torture and espionage. Jeremy Proctor, the young protégé of blind magistrate Sir John Fielding, narrates this story of stolen letters, state secrets, and odd Americans. The streets team with nefarious but engaging characters and Jeremy must help Sir John discover who is torturing and murdering those involved in the theft, ...more
Joe
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
Donna
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was completely coincidence that I grabbed this book to read while we were in Boston. What an appropriate choice it ended up being! Another great one in the series.
Barbara
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love the atmosphere of that period in England's history. Plot moves things along, and characters are interesting and developing well.
Sandy Shin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Interesting to read the British point of view of the American Colonies complaints, but the human interactions seem very bland and one dimensional. Not as good as the previous books
Pat Kidd
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written, good story, good, well-rounded characters
Virginia Tican
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The year was 1773. It started with a robbery resulting in the death of a footman at the house of Lord Hillsborough, Secretary of State for the American Colonies. The Lord Secretary was not very forthcoming when questioned by the Blind Beak as to what was stolen which led both Sir John and Jeremy into making their own surmises... as it turned out Jeremy's theories caused Sir John a sleepless night regarding their plausible reality. Then there was Benjamin Franklin, already a temporary denizen of ...more
Carl
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling page turner; “An Experiment in Treason" is the eighth book in Bruce Alexander’s mystery series centering on Sir John Fielding and an ever evolving young Jeremy Proctor, the narrator. As usual, Alexander’s research is excellent providing the reader with strong local color, well developed colorful characters, and gripping plot lines. The protagonist is a blind 18th century London magistrate Sir John Fielding, who is based on a real historical character. This historical mystery al ...more
Marty
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author (Bruce Alexander Cook) is an American but has written a series of excellent 18th century English mysteries featuring the blind magistrate Sir John Fielding. Sir John is by all measures, a superior magistrate considered a fair and just man by the community on the outskirts of London that he serves. He is helped by Jeremy Proctor, a young man who serves as Sir John’s “eyes.” Jeremy is “reading the law” with Sir John, and serves as his aide in many ways. In this adventure, a packet of le ...more
pearl_seeker
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
My least-favorite of the series; it was short on action.
Wendy
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
An Experiment In Treason was a fascinating story where the UK's feelings and politics towards her North American Colonies, aka America come into play. Bruce Alexander admits in an Author's Note, he had taken artistic license with some of the facts. That was okay.
While trying to solve a violent burglary and subsequent murder Jeremy and Sir John encounter Dr. Benjamin Franklin.
It is late 1773 - less than 3 years before the Revolutionary War. As an American, I was only taught the Colonists perspec
Lynn
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm very fond of this series, but this was not the best Sir John Fielding in the set. As ever, the series characters are well drawn and develop nicely, but there are several plot elements left hanging.

What's up, for example, with the experiment that opens the novel? It seems there should have been some follow up on that. And I'm not sure about the rapid development of the relationship between Jeremy and Clarissa, unless it's about to encounter some rough waters. And how the bad guy is dispatche
Sally
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This one was about Ben Franklin, and the American revolution. It depended heavily on the others, and would have been hard to "get" without having read the previous ones. They are slow, and not so interesting as the earlier ones, perhaps because there is little new in them. I do enjoy the history, but there is not much of it.
Meggie
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The main storyline in this book was a bit slow and based on politics, missing letters, etc. So more or less a bit boring, but still full of humor and great dialogues. I liked this book because on Jeremy's active role. He is more and more a well developed character, and he got engaged to be engaged. That part was truly funny for me.
Rhonda
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
another good one - and jeremy finally figures out what we've known for some time!! woo hoo! i'm saddened, however, that there are only 2 more in this series and the author is deceased. another great series will soon come to an end. bummer dude.
Janice
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
So, did I know before that Benjamin Franklin was in England at the time of the Boston Tea Party? Not sure I knew that! Fascinating book, intriguing plot! I will be sorry to see this series end--only two more books to go.
Dawn
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the portrayal of Ben Franklin as more of a dissolute rather than the paragon, father of America.
A view of the American war for independence from the British side was interesting and it was about time Jeremy and Clarissa got together.
Dorothy
Aug 03, 2008 rated it liked it
The adventures of Sir John Fielding and his assistant Jeremy continue in this the ninth book in this highly entertaining series set in 18th century England.
Audrey
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Rather hard on Benjamin Franklin and the Adams brothers....
Colleen
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
a fun series and this was no exception.
As an American, I was a little chary of Franklin's honor, though I know he was no saint
Roxane
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictionalized account of the 'Affair of the Hutchinson Letters' – very interesting.
Serena
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Charlene
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great background in the history of England and the colonies. Benjamin Franklin makes quite an appearance. I will definitely read other books in this series.
ShanDizzy
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice that Mr. Alexander included a little bit of history in this story. Also, I'm happy that Jeremy and Clarissa finally get engaged.
Lyn
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
History abounds! Mr., I mean Dr. Franklin--what were you thinking? :) Series is almost over...I'm going to miss everyone on Grub Street!!!!!
Regine
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-england, mystery
Of interest, partly historical.

• A Dangerous Duet (Victorian Mystery #1)
  • The Black Country (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #2)
  • When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2)
  • What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
  • The Yard (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #1)
  • A Matter of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #11)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • The Red Door (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #12)
  • No One's Home
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody, #9)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)

News & Interviews