Jump to ratings and reviews

The Magicals #3

A Fairy's Quest

New York had Broadway. LA had Hollywood. Chicago had magic.

During the Golden Age of Magic, descendants of The Anunnaki sought refuge in the City of Magic.

Five years ago, fairy princess Alina Lehrer played the role of dutiful daughter until, in a single act of rebellion, she broke her arranged marriage agreement with David Laurent and destroyed a powerful alliance between their families. She fears her mother will hold it against her until she fulfils her familial duty—to reclaim the fairy crown that had been stolen from them more than a century ago.

Now, the usurper to the throne is dead, thus ending the fairy-wizard feud. It is time to reclaim the throne, and ultimately the stolen crown. But happily-ever-after seems as far away as ever for Alina. She is still heartbroken after the rejection of her first love and is still healing from a near-death trauma. She must push aside her personal feelings and find a way to confront her demons in order for her to complete her quest.

Rylan Jackson, codename Orion, has an impeccable record as a trained assassin for The Royal Court of Fairies. As The Court's most trusted asset, he always gets the job done. Until his target is Alina, the one woman he can’t resist.

Fate has placed Alina and Rylan on opposing sides in a world of deception and betrayal. Where truth is ambiguous. Where loyalties war with affection. Where there are no coincidences.

But Alina has the power to change her destiny and soon learns Fate is not set in stone.

Kindle Edition

Published April 6, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Maya Tyler

11 books256 followers
Maya Tyler is a multi-published author of paranormal romance novels and blogger at Maya’s Musings. An avid reader, Maya writes the books she loves to read—romances! Her paranormal romances come with complex plot twists and happily-ever-afters.

When she’s not writing, she enjoys reading, listening to music (alternative rock, especially from the 1990s), practicing yoga, and watching movies and TV.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (4%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews
Profile Image for Lisabet Sarai.
Author 179 books160 followers
May 10, 2021
Alina Lehrer is a princess, rightful heir to the fairy kingdom. When her domineering mother wants to send her to the Court of the Fairies in Paris to claim the crown, Alina is tempted to refuse. She’s still suffering from debilitating headaches and terrifying flashbacks from her near-death experience at the hands of a rival for royal power. Meanwhile, she is quite the innocent, with none of the Machiavellian skills that she’ll need to claim her birthright. Although she works as a life coach, Alina’s capabilities in that role are based on her psychic talents, not her personal experience.

Guilt and pressure, however, win out over Alina’s hesitation – helped by the natural excitement she feels about traveling for the first time to the legendary City of Lights. When she meets a handsome, attentive man at the Chicago airport, she’s suspicious of his motives, but his charm soon wins out over her caution. After all, she’s going to Paris, destination of lovers everywhere. And Rylan is just a fling. Why not enjoy herself, to balance the serious nature of her mission?

Rylan Jackson, code name Orion, is a expert spy and assassin who has been ordered by Le Souverain to eliminate Alina. His magical instincts, however, lead him to delay the fulfillment of his commission. The closer he becomes to the delightful princess, the more he wants to protect her, rather than kill her. But what will happen when the Court discovers his insubordination?

A Fairy’s Quest works as a romance. I liked both Alina and Rylan, and their chemistry felt convincing. When Alina bids goodbye to her lover, believing she’ll never see him again, my heart ached – even though I knew she was wrong (because of the obligatory happy ending).

Maya Taylor also provides a vivid and convincing portrayal of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Alina doesn’t realize that’s the malady from which she’s suffering. All she knows is that she can’t sleep, can’t eat, has horrifying visions and nightmares, and sometimes faints dead away from fear. Despite her psychological issues, Alina manages to survive the vicious machinations of the Fairy Court, but the effort nearly destroys her physical and mental health.

I had significant issues with the plot of this novel, though. For one thing, I found myself quite bewildered by the frequent time shifts and references to events in the earlier books of this series. (This book is the third installment of Ms. Tyler��s series “The Magicals”.) I could not figure out the history of the feud that led to the loss of the crown. The attack that led to Alina’s PTSD likewise is mentioned multiple times, but never really explained. I believe that every book in a series must be able to stand on its own; I don’t think this book really does.

In addition, many of the conflicts in the story seem to be resolved with only minimal difficulty, despite being portrayed as life-and-death struggles. I don’t want to include any spoilers, but Rylan has no problem whatsoever foiling the ultimate villain. In addition, I noted quite a few loose ends, for instance, magical objects that are supposedly important but in fact play no role in the final resolution.

Perhaps if I’d been familiar with the series, some of these problems would not have occurred. Overall, I enjoyed A Fairy’s Quest , but having jumped into Ms. Tyler’s world with no preparation, I also found it confusing and frustrating.

Profile Image for Debbie Eyre.
3,639 reviews58 followers
August 25, 2021
This is a great fantastical magical fantasy tale. It’s a great read that once you pick this up you will not be getting up……..for anything! A paranormal romance with a touch of adventure as we meet Alina our heir to the fairy kingdom and Rylan is our assassin who is supposed to take out Alina and not on a date!! There’s action, betrayal, trauma, heartbreak, magic, romance and so so much more! It’s a great third book in this series!
May 21, 2021
Before I start, let me share this warning: this story contains issues concerning Post traumatic Stress Disorder, if this will trigger you, please do not continue with this review.

This story starts with an explanation of how fairies became to be. They had come from another world and were sent to Earth as a punishment. Yet, they contained their mystical abilities and they turned into two factions, the fairies and wizards. As you can imagine one side tends to rule over the other, which happens with the fairy’s treating the wizards as servants. As history has taught us all this never turns out well and, as expected, the wizards waged war against the fairies. The feud is still going on during the present day and the fairy’s court has hidden itself in London a long time ago that has now faded into legend.

In Chicago we meet our main character, Alina Lehrer, her older brother Atlas, and his wife Lucie whose mother, Gina DeLafontaine was part of the royal family. Alina has had far too many expectations on her shoulder as a young child since Gina, who has the ability to see in the future, believes that her daughter will be the one who brings back their family’s glory.

Alina is a wonderful character that is dealing with the world she has been thrust into as best she can. She had enough of the pressure that was forced upon her and rebelled by canceling her engagement to another strong fairy family that had been set up since her days in the crib, and instead started her own business.

Alina uses her business to hide away from herself, refusing to deal with her past which makes it worse. You see, she had been captured, tortured, and was forced to watch a good friend, Kurtis being tortured in front of her. This caused her to experience flashbacks and anxiety attacks at any time when she is triggered by something or it could come upon her without notice. These attacks are horrible for anyone that has gone through a trauma as she is transported back to the room where she had been tied up in and expecting to die.

I have to admit that her business fits her like a glove as her gift allows her to feel emotions and auras that allow her to help her patience make the best decisions in their life. Too bad that she can’t use her gift on herself when she thought that her friend Kurtis was attracted to her and she thought they could make a life together. Unfortunately, this goes horribly wrong as she misunderstood his signals, which caused Alina to place an icy boundary around her heart. Like most of us that have gone through the first pangs of a crush that blows up in our face, she can’t see him without feeling embarrassed. Her pain is real and as she had watched him being tortured this also affects her ability to be in the same room with him. The only good thing that came from her mistake was to receive a book that was in Kurtis’ father’s secret library that was supposed to belonged in her family for many generations and proved their lineage to the fairy court.

What nobody knows is that she has a hit out on her because of the broken engagement although that happened five years ago, which is strange since if any fairy rebelled against the court, they were often taken care of right away. Rylan Jackson, the spymaster, and assassin of the court where the current leader, Monoceros sent him out to complete the hit.

Rylan is an interesting and complex character with his own moral guide that sometimes can make his life difficult. When he sees Alina for the first time, he is struck by her beauty and as they talk, he enjoys her witty responses and the strength that she doesn’t realize she has herself. He charms Alina and offers to be a guide in Paris. As you can imagine this goes against all the rules of his profession.

Paris is where Alina really becomes into her own. I love how she decides to throw everything that she was in Chicago and become a completely different person. It was fun watching her grow and allow herself to do whatever she wants with no expectations from her mother and the joy of exploring a beautiful city. A wonderful example of her feel free to express herself is when she goes and gets a Henna tattoo of a butterfly. It’s a great symbol for her as she is trying to go through a metamorphosis and hopes to bring back her new courage.

The relationship between Rylan and Alina is almost instantly full of lust, but also tenderness. Alina she has never felt for a man that she feels for Rylan, the protection, the willingness to spend time with her and actually get to know the person behind all her masks. This is a book that shows just how, when you’re suffering from unresolved trauma, that love, help from a professional and letting those that are closest to you in will help you work through the flashback and anxiety attacks.

There is so much strength and tenacity in these two characters that it draws you in. Yes, the plot is well constructed but it’s the characters that really carry it off. Each one has a wonderful personality and a history full of sorrows and happiness.

This is a good book with some wonderful characters that have had to grow and face betrayal, and a past that has ruled life far too long. We see fate take its hold on both Rylan’s and Alina’s lives as you can tell almost right away that they are made for each other. I absolutely enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Jennifer Tooker.
356 reviews11 followers
March 28, 2021

Full disclosure – I was provided a copy of this book by the author; however, I have voluntarily chosen to write a review. All opinions are my own.

A Fairy’s Quest is scheduled for an April 6, 2021 release

A Birthright Restored

Alina Lehrer is a successful life coach but that is not all she is. As heir to the Fairy kingdom, she and her family have been living in the shadows for years after the Fairy/Wizard wars forced the rightful royal family into hiding almost a century earlier. But recent rumblings about the resurgence of the Royal Court of Faries have emerged, which has prompted her overbearing mother to send her on a quest to Paris, to gain an audience with the Court’s Le Souverain to authenticate and regain her family’s claim to the throne. As luck would have it, while she is waiting to board her flight at Chicago’s O’Hare airport, she meets a handsome and charming Parisian on his way back home from a pleasure trip in the Windy City. Alina’s quest quickly morphs into a whirlwind romance with this intriguing and passionate stranger, but Rylan holds secrets of his own. As the Royal Court of Faries’ top spy and assassin Rylan’s mission is to eliminate Alina. Things do not turn out to plan as Rylan finds himself working to save his target and bring down the corruption in the Royal Court.

A Fairy’s Quest is the third installment in The Magicals series of books by author Maya Tyler. While set in the same general location as the previous two installments this book can be read as a stand-alone offering or as part of an overall storyline. While the books do not rely on each other to further the story, several of the main characters do make an appearance in the other installments. For instance, Alina was first introduced as the life coach for Kurtis Warde in “A Wizard’s Choice” and while there was a bit of interaction between the pair, this new book can be read independently of that one without any confusion in the story. Additionally, with this installment, we catch up again with Marisa from “A Vampire’s Tale” as she pays a visit to Alina for some paranormal advice.

Overall, the action for this installment was fast-paced and consisted of a series of “real-time” action as well as flashbacks to Alina’s younger years as well as recent traumatic experiences. While this could prove to be a difficult flow to follow for some, I felt that Tyler’s use of the flashback helped to fully flesh out the story and Alina’s character effectively for the length of the book. If you are looking for a quick fast-paced adventure that is as thrilling as it is sexy, A Fairy’s Quest would be a good one to check out. I am not sure if Tyler has any more Magicals books in the works, but if there are I will definitely be front and center to see what she dreams up next.

Profile Image for Nancy (The Avid Reader).
2,246 reviews94 followers
March 7, 2021
Fairy princess Alina Lehrer has spent her whole life trying to please her mother until about five years ago that is. Five years ago she was engaged to David Lauren until she broke off the engagement disappointing her mother. You know its not like Alina doesn’t want to marry and have a family but she would like to be in love with the man she married. She would also like to have a career first. What is wrong with a woman wanting to have a career before being married?

Alina fears that she will never be able to make her mother happy again unless she can reclaim the fairy crown that was stolen from her family many, many years ago. Alina spends a lot of time searching for the fairy crown and its location. It is time to reclaim the throne. If she could find this crown then maybe she could make her mother happy again not to mention the fact that maybe all the guilt that she is weighed down with then maybe she could let it all go.

Alina keeps flashing back to a horrible event in her life that almost cost her, her life. No one knows what she went through nor how it still affects and interrupts her life in more ways than one.

Rylan Jackson is given orders to kill an American fairy that is digging up the past. Rylan believes that killing this fairy would be a premature move besides Rylan maybe an assassin but that doesn’t mean he likes it even if he is good at it. Rylan weighs out the outcome of not killing this fairy or killing her. How can he let her live without having to pay dearly for it? What will Rylan do? What can he do that will land him in the least amount of trouble? That is the question Rylan is asking himself.

I fell in love with The Magicals with the first book A Vampire’s Tale. The magic within each book just seems to get better and better. Once I pick up a book from The Magicals world I can’t put it down until I have read the last page. Once I opened A Fairy’s Quest I was pulled into its depths with all the vampires, fairies, wizards, and its magical world.

A Fairy’s Quest has more than one story to tell, stories that we get from more than one character. I like getting a story from more than one person's perspective. I like knowing what all the characters are doing instead of getting their story through the eyes of another character.
Profile Image for Xanthe.
1,698 reviews26 followers
April 25, 2021
*2.5*
It’s always hard to write a review for a book that you don’t really enjoy as I want to respect the hard work that has gone into creating it by the author but also a review is about your honest opinion of the story so here it goes....
I found the story and characters of A Fairy’s Quest quite hard to connect with. We jump into the fray as Alina is suffering in the aftermath of a near death trauma whilst having pressure put on her by her mother who is determined that their family take their rightful place among their kind and own the fairy crown. I really felt for Alina with what she was going through with her mental health but we only find out what happens very slowly across the book in flashbacks and her mother, what a horrible woman! She’s totally self-involved and doesn’t seem to be aware or acknowledge anything that’s really going on with Alina, herself, only what she can do for the family.
The plot of the book, reclaiming the fairy crown and the relationship between Alina and Rylan, the assassin sent to kill her, is, at least for the first half of the book, quite disjointed. We jump between the present and flashbacks of other characters from the past that led to or were involved with the fairy-wizard feud, so it’s quite hard to track what role everyone plays in the story and how they are all linked with the plot.
Once Alina is on her way to Paris and Rylan joins her, as a Frenchman offering to show her the sights, it feels like the story hits its stride and moves at quite a good pace. We have the characters connecting, causing emotions neither expected to have for a stranger met only days previously. Rylan struggles with his attraction to Alina and finds himself conflicted when it comes to the job that he has done for so long and the woman coming to mean so much to him. Things quickly get hot and heavy between them with that part feeling natural but I really didn’t get a sense of the emotions that the characters were experiencing. It was so quick and with the little amount of time that they spent together, it didn’t ring true for me. I also got confused from the book’s blurb that says about Alina’s rejection of her first love. That is really not what I took from what happens between the two, again so quick that it seemed like Alina was the only person feeling anything and not strong enough to be love.
Things continue to take unexpected turns, both with the attempts to reclaim the crown and what is developing between the MC’s so it keeps you on your toes in regards to the possible outcomes in all areas. I enjoyed the last third as secrets and betrayal are revealed, Alina and Rylan work to set things right, and they move towards their HEA. It was good to see Alina working for what she wanted for herself towards the end as well instead of falling in line with what her mother wanted. She has a couple of great friends that really pull through for her when she’s struggling which was nice to read.
Overall, I didn’t connect with the story and found myself having to push through to get to the end. Relationships seemed forced or everything was happening quicker between them than felt like it should. The plot of the story was solid but didn’t necessarily need all of the flashbacks to have the reader understanding what was going on, maybe with less characters as we also had the POV of Alina’s sister-in-law once for a reason I couldn’t really understand. Maybe if I had read the previous two books of the series that may have been different but this one seems like it can be read as a standalone.
Profile Image for Kaye.
6,823 reviews57 followers
April 17, 2021
☄️☄️ONE COMPELLING ADVENTURE☄️☄️
Skipping skeeters scooby! Maya unleashes one helluva boot-stomping, thrillingly tantalizing, compellingly scintillating, rock-my-world wonder, dishing out gut-wretching deception, heart-rending lies and soul-searing betrayal, launching this bad boy to staggering heights. Hurled into a minefield brimming with riveting drama, gripping intrigue, underlying threats, callous atrocities, brutal tactics, escalating danger, electrifying suspense and intense situations converge, foes are dispatched and battle lines are drawn, blasting this baby to life flawlessly. Swapping hats and switching tactics with this kickass tilt-our-world rollercoaster, weaving a cocoon so intricately and precise, observing the daunting struggles and challenging triumphs, while attentive to the perilous twists and stunning turns unfolding, wrapping this gem up sleek, shiny and tight. The characters are original, tangible and authentic with just enough flaws to add a little spice to the mix. Their personalities are genuine with qualities and traits that balances out perfectly. The scenes are so detailed and descriptive it gives the illusion you're right there in the middle of ground zero with them, feeling everything they feel. Fabulous job Maya, thanks for sharing this little gem with us.
Profile Image for Kathy.
526 reviews11 followers
May 5, 2021
Paranormal & romance, not me, BUT...I enjoyed this tale. That’s how I think of it. A magical fantasy tale. And it’s such a mix of fantasy and the normal that we see every day, I got caught up in it, as if it were real. A rebelling young woman breaking off an arranged engagement Who thinks of mixing a magical fairy kingdom and a hired killer with a conscience? Sounds like James Bond and Cinderella mixed together, doesn’t it? Well it is a little bit. It has some fantasy and some love, and it has plenty of action too.
I have never read another book by Maya Tyler but this one seemed as if it could be read as a stand-alone. It was fast paced, sweet and a little sexy. Is that possible? Seems to be:)
The Fairy’s Quest is Book 3 in a series titled The Magicals. All three books have good reviews. Check them out here.
5,270 reviews
March 18, 2021
A Fairy's Quest is the third installment from Maya Tyler’s The Magicals series. It is, also, the first introduction to her writing. It will not be the last. I thought it was a good romance. I enjoyed getting to know Alina. She is a strong and courageous woman and it was fun taking this adventure with her.

I am giving A Fairy's Quest four stars. I recommend it for readers who enjoy reading romance. I look forward to reading more by Maya Tyler and the other books in The Magicals series.

I received a copy of A Fairy's Quest from the author, but was not required to write a review. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.
Profile Image for S.K. Gregory.
Author 118 books198 followers
March 28, 2021
Alina is a fairy, who refused to marry someone she didn't love and in turn her mother is upset with her. She wants to help her reclaim their family's former position but she also wants a life of her own.
Alina was an interesting character, she is going through a lot but she still feels the need to help others. The story did drag a little in places, but overall it was a good story and I enjoyed reading it. I would recommend it.
Profile Image for Barbara.
16.6k reviews8 followers
September 10, 2021
The third book in the Magicals Series a well written story that kept me turning pages. Fairy princess Alina Lehrer and trained assassin for The Royal Court of Fairies Rylan Jackson, codename Orion meet when he is assigned to kill her. Their story has suspense, drama, danger, villains, and romance. Well worth reading. I want to read the next book. I received a copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review.
3,788 reviews7 followers
April 26, 2021
I was completely captivated by this magical story. It is a mix of action, adventure and romance that keeps you interested until the very end. I love how the story developed as well as the character build. Alina is a fairy who refuse to marry for less than love. Now she is on a magical quest. Rylan has been given an assignment but become enamored.
1,116 reviews9 followers
March 31, 2022
I was pleasantly surprised by thy way that I was completely sucked in to this story. This story had romance and adventure which kept me eagerly turning pages. I Loved Every page!!!.
Profile Image for Marianne.
4,209 reviews39 followers
April 1, 2022
This is an amazing fantasy romance! I liked it a lot! It has magic and mystery, danger and adventure.. Love these characters!.
2,402 reviews12 followers
April 11, 2021
Exciting read full of action, romance, and multiple paranormal groups plus political intrigue. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Megan.
34 reviews1 follower
June 1, 2021
Adventure, love, truth, so much happens and yet so much more needs to happen. I got super invested in this book, and I feel like I needed a book 2! I loved it!! Real world fairies! It was amazing.
Profile Image for Ioanna.
1,316 reviews23 followers
November 10, 2022
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Iiw...
Blog: https://nanasbookreviews.wordpress.co...

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

A Fairy's Quest by Maya Tyler is a paranormal romance. It's the third book from the Magicals series.

Alina Lehrer was a life coach and co-owner of Vibrant Life Incorporated. She loved her job but after her near-death experience, she didn't enjoy it as much. She was trying to forget her first love and overcome her fears but her mother had other ideas. Since her family was descendants of the royal fairy family her mother wanted to claim the throne. So she sent Alina to The Royal Court
of Fairies in Paris. It was supposed to be an easy task. Rylan Jackson was a fairy assassin hired by the Court to kill Alina. Something was telling him that it wasn't the right thing to do and after meeting her he was sure about it. Could Rylan save the Princess and Alina have the happily ever after that she deserves?

This book is a nice mix of paranormal romance and suspense. It contains family drama, love at first sight, and attempted murder. The plot is captivating and entertaining. Even though the story alternates between the present and past a lot it's easy to follow. In this one we learned more about the royal fairy family, we saw a few characters from the previous books, and last but not least
about Alina's love life. I had liked Alina a lot from the beginning and I am glad she had her happy ending here. Rylan was a great character as well, a true gentleman and very protective. Unfortunately, I disliked Gina from the beginning of this book. She was worst than Kurtis' grandma. My favorite part was their first date.

I liked this book a lot and I highly recommend it. I will rate it with 4 stars.
Profile Image for E..
1,888 reviews18 followers
May 10, 2021

“A Fairy’s Quest” by Maya Tyler is part of ‘The Magicals’ series and centers on Alina Lehrer, who is struggling to restore her family to their rightful place as fairy royalty. Unfortunately, there are multiple obstacles, including an assassin who has been tasked with eliminating her…despite his inclinations to the contrary.

This adult paranormal romance has an interesting twist on the relationship between fairies and wizards (non-congenial) and a bit of a mystery. I think it would have been better to have familiarity with the previous stories in the series because there are a lot of dangling threads that are woven together which refer to prior events.

There are a lot of introspective thoughts, flashbacks, and historical events experienced, so things get a bit confusing at times as Alina pursues the goal that has been emphasized for all of her life, and sometimes the pace of the story was a bit jerky for me. I did enjoy the glimpse of Paris and the connection that Alina forms with Rylan, but I think it would be nice to get a little more depth for all of the characters. I also appreciate the nod to the importance of getting professional help to deal with trauma.

A copy of this title was provided for review
Profile Image for Linda Walters.
2,521 reviews14 followers
March 31, 2021
This story was hard to rate. Probably because I felt lost and feeling like I got dumped in the deep end. Definitely felt like I needed to read a prior book in the series to at least get more understanding. It felt confusing. And the bouncing back and forth from one time frame to the current times didn't help. It isn't something that I generally enjoy and it happened a lot in this story.
Alina was a person that you could feel empathy for. It's something that her mother didn't have for her. Alina's mother was a piece of work. So selfish, self centered and a pushy bully.
Rylan was a bit of a puzzle for a while but he was an enjoyable character. Like he said he was a man of many talents.
There is plenty of dangers, twists and dangerous conspiracies. This story had a lot of potential. Although it had a good ending that I was glad for, I still felt like it was also disappointing. For some of the reasons, I mentioned before.

"I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.