Start by marking “The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough” as Want to Read:
The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough

The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough

An in-depth guide to those health problems in people of all ages and sexes that can be traced to sensitivity to the yeast germ candida albicans.
Paperback, 1st Vintage Books edition, 464 pages
Published September 12th 1986 by Vintage (first published December 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Yeast Connection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yeast Connection

Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, health, how-to
This is the seminal book that explains the connection between excess Candida albicans in the gut and a multitude of health problems, from menstrual pain to impaired glucose tolerance. Unfortunately, the author basically recommends the frikkin' Atkins Diet to address it, which is pretty lethal in its own right as far as I'm concerned and far too hard for someone who's already sick and in pain. In later books on related subjects the author modifies the approach a lot so you're allowed to eat a mor ...more
Katie
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Even if you think you don't have "candida", which by the way, is one of the most common issues in this country, and most of us probably have it to some degree...it's a great book for anyone who suffers from chronic pain, fatigue, "mystery" symptoms, etc. etc. Nothing very cutting edge, just simple common sense. Easy to understand.
Melissa I
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Melissa by: have had it since a young teen
*screaming to myself* I 'finally' type out a clear and full review and I hit the screen just outside of the review box and.......it closed the review box :( Gone.....and all I could do was sit here and watch it disappear. Gah!!

Will try again asap. If not soon enough I just urge everyone to look read, understand, and live this as you begin to feel your body go into what's nothing short of a miracle rebirth. I read it the first time o e 25 years ago and it changed my life. Well, I fell off track a
Ansley
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed with information on yeast overgrowth, symptoms, remedies, and meal plans. I found it very helpful in learning what yeast does to your body, how you develop candida, and how to stop the cycle.
Liaken
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
It has some good information, but it also has faulty and contradictory information. And it's not very usable or ... aesthetic.
Julie
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Pros: very thorough. Cons: research is mostly from the 80s and 80s so I wish there was a version of this written in 2013.

Definitely a lot of good food for thought in this book.
Elisabeth Warner
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
30 years later, this book is still relevant. However, it is repetitive. You can learn all you need to learn from this book (especially if you don't have the symptoms described in this book) in the first four chapters.
Eric Wallace
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people investigating their unexplained chronic illness(es)
Admittedly, I kinda speed-read through this along with several of his newer books at the same time, for the following reasons:

(a) Although this is Dr. Crook's original "Bible" (or should I say "crookbook"?) on yeast overgrowth, some of the info has become outdated in the nearly 30 years since the book's publication and thus is superseded even by the author's later writings.

(b) It's a bit... rambling. Crook repeats himself, re-summarizing key points that have been mentioned time and again (e.g. l
Jean
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional book! I have had this book for many years, and still refer to it: my daughter is now in the process of reading it, as well. This is one health book that will survive the test of time!
Erlyn Lazaro
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must read! Cutting-edge and revolutionary, and given that this book was written decades ago, with the dawn of the internet age still forthcoming back then, I imagine this book was a life saver for many who were afflicted by different illnesses caused by candida albicans.
S.
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: un-owned
Very good read. Dr. crook discusses a condition that is wide-spread in great detail.
Sartan
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
If you have health complaints then it's worth reading this book. Even if you just follow the recommended diet I think it will help!
Crystal
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a silly book. That is to say, the subject matter was serious in tone, especially if all the claims in the book were to be believed. So WHY, oh WHY would you take a serious matter, at least to yourself, and write a book illustrated with hand drawn pictures, and set in constantly alternating styles and sizes of font? It's like editing a documentary to flash like a music video. The presentation was not at all credible, which was sad, because I'm genuinely interested in the topic, and would ...more
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
The drawings and charts are helpful and fun. There's a lot of personal anecdotes from his patients that give you a look at life with the disease. Some of the material may seem dated, but it's still informative.
Anna
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting and not difficult to read. I wish I did not now know how bad sugar is for us. I have little bit of a sugar addition that I do my best to keep it under control.
Grandma Judy
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read for info on how to prevent yeast infections, athlete's foot, and many more diseases.
Amanda Lucas
Sep 13, 2009 is currently reading it
If you are always sick and you don't know why...read this book.
Josephine Mcmullen
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Newer books have better recipes.
Lara
Jun 27, 2008 added it
This book changed my life. While I was on the recommended diet, my health drastically improved. Now that I'm sort of doing it, all my old problems are back. It's crazy!
Teea
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is full of interesting information, although it's hard to take it seriously with hand drawn cartoons.
Rachael Teel
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Critical Theory Since Plato
  • The Dragon Syndicates: The Global Phenomenon of the Triads
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Economics
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • Key to Yourself: Opening the Door to a Joyful Life from Within
  • Against the Academicians/The Teacher (Contra Academicos/De magistro)
  • Colonial Latin America
  • Social Ecology and Communalism
  • The Secret Societies Handbook
  • Live and Learn and Pass It on: People Ages 5 to 95 Share What They've Discovered about Life, Love, and Other Good Stuff
  • Thinking in Jazz: The Infinite Art of Improvisation
  • Cure For All Diseases
  • Gesundheit!: Bringing Good Health to You, the Medical System, and Society through Physician Service, Complementary Therapies, Humor, and Joy
  • Some Answered Questions
  • Martha Inc.: The Incredible Story of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia
  • Tapping the Healer Within: Using Thought-Field Therapy to Instantly Conquer Your Fears, Anxieties, and Emotional Distress
  • The Principles of Art
  • The Pleiadian Agenda: A New Cosmology for the Age of Light
Received his medical education and training at the University of Virginia, The Pennsylvania Hospital, Vanderbilt and Johns Hopkins. He was a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology and the American Academy of Environmental Medicine and the American Medical Association. He also served as a Visiting Professor at Ohio State University, the ...more