Start by marking “sMothering” as Want to Read:
sMothering

sMothering

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A smart, fast, funny take on mother-daughter relationships, boyfriend-girlfriend disasters, and the career-girl blues.

Meet Claire McLeod, a twenty-something American girl living in Portland, Oregon. Claire's got big problems: her mother's a tyrant, her sister's a lesbian, and her father's in Omaha.

Claire's peaceful, if dull, existence is shattered when her mother arrives i
Published December 12th 2004 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about sMothering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about sMothering

Ashley
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick-lit fans
Shelves: chick-lit
pretty predictable but funny nonetheless. good airplane book when i went down home to visit. i've loved everything i've read of hers so far though and can't wait to get more!

pretty crazy about the whole affair thing between the parents. i can see myself being like that with my husband when we're older. not as bad as her, but i almost feel like i have a sense of relation there.

claire is realllly funny and i love her sarcasm and all the trouble she seems to get herself into without even actually g
Cathy Austin
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very well written and completely laugh out loud funny story about an obsessive mother, a laid back father, two 20 something daughters, one (Claire) who lives in the shadow of her can do no wrong beautiful sister (Steph)UNTIL that beautiful sister 'turns' lesbian as the mother despairs. Claire McLeod struggles at her call center work, with her boyfriend-less life now that her hearthrob Paul left her for someone else, with herself basically. Then her mother (all the way from Omaha) lands on her do ...more
Bree
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, humor
I had it on my list for a long time and finally got it at the library. I started it one night and realized that I had read over 100 pages. This is a miracle for me as I have a two year old. It was funny, quick and I liked everything about it. The mother was like my mother-in-law so I just shock my head sighing at the things I read. The main character was likable finally. My one complaint is I like a book to flow naturally to the end. This did a 2 page happily ever after ending that I wasn't craz ...more
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I picked this book on a whim at the library ad was quite fond of it from the start. Claire and her mother dont' seem to have a great relationship. Mrs. McLeod has that, "I'm in your business and I know best and your life just isn't good enough why arent you married yet," attitude but oh so funny. Between work issues, a boss worth beating and family issues galore, its no wonder Claires life is a mess. But a fun mess at that. I rooted for her the whole way through and was pleased overall. From sta ...more
Janet
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a nice little entertaining book. I like the comedic romance mysteries better. At least, there's a more involved plot with them.
The problem with all romances is they are always the same: always a very stupid misunderstanding. Then always a nice get together, and then always more stupid misunderstandings before the final happy ending.
This book was different in one way. It seems
Ms French's deadline to finish the book was up. Everything was still rather unfinished and bingo! … the epilogue
Allison
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
cute book. a little bit of substance among the chicklits. I especially like the author's bio at the back of the book: "Wendy French was raised in Vancouver, where she was certain her parents unwittingly cursed her writing career with a happy and stable childhood. In an effort to overcome her unfortunate beginnings, she sought artistic torment at the University of Victoria, but despair eluded her. Although she earned a BA in Writing and English, she didn't suffer for a moment. Hoping for worse lu ...more
Carmen Díaz
May 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Humor, fans del chick lit
"Mi mamá me mata" tiene como protagonista a Claire, una chica de 23 años que vive sola en su pequeño estudio. Un día, a primera hora de la mañana, su madre se le presenta en casa, maletas en mano, con la intención de quedarse. Claire tiene que lidiar con la inoportuna presencia de su madre, con la mala relación de su madre y su hermana Stephanie, divorciada de su primer marido y reconvertida en lesbiana....
Se lee rápido porque la historia es muy sencilla.Es una historia ligera de principio a fin
JG (The Introverted Reader)
This was a fun, easy book that I read in about one night. It's the story of 23-year-old Claire and what happens when her over-bearing mother comes for an open-ended visit.

Really, this was just an amusing bit of fluff that was fairly predictable. If you're in the mood for that (and I was, after slogging through Look Homeward, Angel), you'll probably enjoy this one.

As an aside, I would like to thank my mom for being NOTHING like the mother in this book. What a nightmare!
Olie
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Though the book is under 'chicklit category', and though I'm not a big fan of that category. I pretty much like this book. It tells about mother daughter relationship with all its ups and downs.

The book made me laugh, it made me frown, it even made me cry. One thing forsure, it made me thankful that I'm blessed with a mom like mine.
Lauder
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
This novel was incredibly boring, and Claire, the main character, complained throughout, acting selfish and spoiled. She complains about her mother, her job, her love life...nothing makes her happy.

But then, everything works out? Just like that? She sees her man again, and she gets a new job...I mean, sure, let's have a happy ending, but you don't need to shove the happiness down our throats.
  • Babe in Paradise: Fiction
  • America the Beautiful
  • Welcome to Higby
  • Mall
  • Downers Grove
  • The Loss That Is Forever: The Lifelong Impact of the Early Death of a Mother or Father
  • On Flirtation
  • The Odds: One Season, Three Gamblers And The Death Of Their Las Vegas
  • In the Land of Men: Stories
  • Play Dates
Wendy French was raised in Vancouver, Canada, where she was certain her parents unwittingly cursed her writing career with a happy and stable childhood. In an effort to overcome her unfortunate beginnings, she sought artistic torment at the University of Victoria, but despair eluded her. Hoping for worse luck south of the border, she moved to Oregon with her husband, David, but happiness continued ...more
More about Wendy French...