Start by marking “University Physics” as Want to Read:
University Physics

University Physics

This new edition of University Physics represents a significant new stage in the evolution of a book that has played a prominent role in introductory physics education for over 40 years. This comprehensive revision reflects (a) the major changes in the philosophy of introductory physics courses that have occurred over these years, and (b) the changing backgrounds and needs ...more
Hardcover, 9th Edition, 1259 pages
Published July 1st 1996 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1949)

Start your review of University Physics
Archit Ojha
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own

A holy grail of high school Physics!

I am pretty much sure that Tony Stark had this one in his kindle. Put my money on it.

Four people : Young and Freedman and Sears and Zeemanksy have bound together a book of a lifetime for Physics lovers. Remember that this is an academic book.

Yet the writing and the splendor makes you wonder otherwise. The illustrations go hand in hand with the lucid explanations.

This is the way Physics ought to be taught.

The prose style is in a manner that converses with you
Bilgewater
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: physics students
Out of the stack of physics texts I've read thus far in my studious life, this one has to be the best. Very clear examples, very clear and honest explanations of subject matter, and some of the coolest pictures of physical phenomenon available anywhere.

This edition covers quantum physics and QED, which is rare to find in a textbook which some would call "Introductory", and is a highly satisfying end to a large, yet highly useful text.

Finally, I can take all my old physics texts and replace them
Aether
Jul 17, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This Book IS A good book for Physics
ria
yes i will add this to my read shelf because yes I DID read this cover to cover and suffer immensely
Vatan Poonia
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book for physics
Rhea
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very helpful book both for my high school calculus-based physics class and various science competitions I've competed in! would recommend people to actually do the reading haha; saved my grade on e&m. I love how accessible the authors make physics because I had no background knowledge and learned a lot. Mine had the purple cover though which I thought was prettier ...more
Adam Lantos
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great as an introduction, the explanations provided here are on par with Serway's introductory book although Serway's book has (much)better exercises. It offers extensive discussions on every subject but sometimes that discussion does not delve into subtle matters, but I think that this is expected from an introductory book. I am sure though that there might be another textbook out there that provides those small extra details to go the extra mile. I think that those subtle points are necessary ...more
GM Oca
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Perhaps one the best calculus-based textbook in Physics. Each section explains every topic in great detail. Examples are exhaustive. Perfect for undergraduate students but I don't recommend bringing it around the campus because its really really bulky.

When you want to read concepts about Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism and Optics, this book clearly discusses the fundamentals up to the mid-advance part. However when it comes Modern Physics, things become less interesting because som

August Meo
Way too heavy to read, and too few examples to get a reasonable understanding of several subjects. This is quite impressive considering the length of this brick.
Kent Sibilev
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This massive textbook is an absolutely fantastic introduction to the modern physics. It goes very nicely along with Feyman lectures. As an introductory text, it doesn't require any advanced knowledge of mathematics, but general familiarity with calculus would be needed. I absolutely love the organization of the material and numerous examples that support all theoretical discussions.
Morris Yen
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
physics concepts in a nutshell
Exo
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Honestly, the best physics book I own. So many examples and thorough explanations. It's one of my most cherished textbooks.
Gábor Csuzdi
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful, well written textbook with examples

A book that is well laid out, clearly and easily understandable.

Dre Darlinton
Just checking it out
Amr Elseweifi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
My favorite introductory physics textbook
Anton
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best physics book for beginners
Shantanu Chaudhary
Good
Khaled M.
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
informative with a clear explanation, and easy to understand. Recommended for Physics learners
Spyros Thomopoulos
Really nice book to drink your coffee with... certainly very low level for physics students.
John
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read about 90% of it. Magnificent! Great for self-teaching.
Tinamuline
Eskil
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
What makes this book stand out to me from the typical format is all the problem-solving strategies it provides through each chapter in neat little boxes that you can follow consistently throughout most problems (very helpful in getting you started!). Overall there's a wide range of colors and images scattered throughout which really aids in the learning curve.

I hope more books (especially the more advanced ones that are often riddled with proofs, theorems, and excessive use of mathematical jargo
Martina
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
So I got around and read the famous Sears & Zemansky's University physics. This is really a lovely book for undergrad students that are being initiated into real physics. The text is clear and concise, there are a lot of exercises and problems... just what undergrads just starting out need :)

This book is certainly up there with Halliday's Fundamentals of physics. Right now I cannot say which one of those books should be on top... both are them are equally good.
Nonvapon Rojanavasu
I bought this one when I was high school. It's my series of Physics books, University Physics by Young, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and College Physics by Serway. I think Young is the most popular for Physics books because of fulfill contents, Its Modern Physics is separated in another part of the book, and the author simply emphasizes it.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
I only used the first 3rd of this book, because that's all of the course I did, the Mechanics section. I found that they book was ok, but I found videos online the explained the concepts much better.
Minh Tran
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With throughout explanations and illustrations, along with problems ranging all levels of difficulty, this is absolutely the best introductory physics textbook I have read. One could easily enjoy reading this and learn physics at their own pace.
E./george
For first, second and third semester physics.
Subodh Kumar
its owesome ....!!!!!!!!!!!
Matheus Cavalcante
Am I the only one who loves this book?
Joshsisson
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the electro-magnetics and quantum physics chapters for some tutoring. I really wish my school used this physics book! I can actually understand it! Damn you Tipler!

• Introduction to Electrodynamics
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics
  • Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
  • Concepts of Physics (Part 1)
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 1
  • Concepts of Physics (Part 2)
  • Fundamentals of Physics
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Pradeep's Fundamental Physics Vol I&II Class - 12 (Pradeep's Fundamental Physics Vol I&II Class - 12)
  • Problems In General Physics
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
  • Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...