Start by marking “The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)” as Want to Read:
The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)

The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  2,074 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews

Part of a human torso washes up on a beach near Göteborg, Sweden. It is so mutilated that gender is only established by DNA testing. A similar crime, now several years old, remains unsolved in Denmark. Detective Inspector Irene Huss is dispatched to Copenhagen to liaise with police. Then a third corpse is discovered. This time it’s identified. It is a girl Detective Huss k

Published May 10th 2007 by Soho Press Inc (first published 1999)

LJ
First sentence: The wind gave no warning of the ghastly discovery.

Only the torso of a body is found on a beach in Sweden. The only way to even identify the gender is through DNA testing. Irene Hess and her team discover there was a similar crime, still unsolved, in Denmark. The mother of a girl Hess knew is missing in Denmark and is found to be the third victim, although not as completely mutilated. With the fourth victim, Hess fears the killings are somehow related to her.

Hass is a very descri
Jim Coughenour
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Last May I was lucky enough to hear Helene Tursten when she visited San Francisco (in the company of Hakan Nesser, Kjell Eriksson and Inger Frimansson), reading from her most recently translated novel, The Glass Devil.

I highly recommend her well-plotted policiers, enjoyable especially because her star detective is a unpretentious policewoman, a happily-married wife and mother without any of the barbed dysfunction of DS Jane Tennison, but with Tennison's drive and intelligence. (Don't get me wron
Lynn
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Gruesome, glacial and teasingly misleading police procedural. This series is mainly focused on one detective and her reactions to the crimes, suspects and colleagues. She's a bit prim in unusual ways and I like her.
Nancy Oakes
The Torso is to date my favorite book in the Irene Huss series; it is much darker in tone than either of the previous two novels (Detective Inspector Huss and Night Rounds), the plot is very well constructed, and the investigation takes center stage, with little else to distract from the main storyline. Frankly speaking, I couldn't put this book down.

Tursten captures the reader's attention within the first three pages with the discovery of a human torso inside of a garbage bag. Already busy with
Titas
‘Personal’ is a cute word
Inspector Irene Huss is good at balancing home and office but some cases cannot be contained in the files at office. When parts of human torso start washing up at beaches, it looks like just another serial killing at first glance but when Huss tries to solve the case by pulling some old and new ones, she discovers a puzzle with roots deeper than she could imagine. With one corpse being identified as a girl she knew and another corpse being identified as son of another wo
Caroline
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
I've come to expect dark writing from Scandinavian writers, but this one is exceptionally gruesome. Dealing with the subject of necrosadism, this is not a murder mystery for the fainthearted. A torso, just that, a torso with all distinguishing features that would even indicate the gender having been carved out and internal organs removed, is found in a washed up black trash bag.

The Swedish criminal investigation department are completely baffled and without distinguishing mark, limbs and a head
Amanda L
Not going to miss reading the fanciful, elaborate descriptions of "Manpower" AKA "Penis Power" at all. Very illuminating to say the least (if you read/ have read it I'm sure you'll understand the reference). I'll leave it at that because any insight as to what it represents could spoil it all for you. (Tragic.)

Didn't really get into it at first, but the plot picked up throughout the middle and onward to the end. Despite:

(In stanza!)
Never felt acquainted with the killer //
Feels like a gaping hol
Sandi
While the crimes in this book were a bit too grisly for my taste I did find this to be a worthwhile read. I like the main character, her co-workers and her family drama which was a nice contrast to the horrific crimes that were depicted.
Hans
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Three reasons I am starting to love Helene Turston's series about Irene Huss (and friends):

1. It may be translated into English, but the translation does not translate all the "Swedish-ness" out of the book: "You shouldn't eat Jansson's Temptation right before you go to bed, especially if you have problems that can affect your night's sleep." Oh, yeah!

2. Helene Turston is a cool, controlled hot mess. She is always above board and by-the-book...until she suddenly choses not to be. There is a nice
Bonnie Brody
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Irene Huss novel I've read but it will not be my last. I plan to read all the books in this series. Irene is a police detective from Goteborg, Sweden, a woman almost six feet tall and once the Ju Jitsu champion of her country. She is a force to be reckoned with.

In this mystery/thriller, there is a partial body that has been disemboweled found washed up on the Swedish beach during 1999. It is similar to a crime that took place in Copenhagen two years previously. The police find
  • The Demon of Dakar
  • Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)
  • The Man in the Window
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • He Who Fears the Wolf (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #3)
  • What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)
  • The Terrorists (Martin Beck, #10)
  • River of Shadows
  • Missing
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Helsinki White (Inspector Kari Vaara, #3)
  • Under the Snow
  • Killer's Island
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
Helene Tursten (born in Gothenburg in 1954) is a Swedish writer of crime fiction. The main character in her stories is Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Before becoming an author, Tursten worked as a nurse and then a dentist, but was forced to leave due to illness. During her illness she worked as a translator of medical articles.

Series:
* Irene Huss
More about Helene Tursten...

Inspector Huss (10 books)
  • Detective Inspector Huss (Inspector Huss #1)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • The Fire Dance (Inspector Huss #6)
  • The Beige Man (Inspector Huss #7)
  • The Treacherous Net (Inspector Huss, #8)
  • Den som vakar i mörkret (Inspector Huss #9)
  • I skydd av skuggorna (Irene Huss #10)