Start by marking “After Life” as Want to Read:
After Life

After Life

If you could upload your mind, where would you put it? A postcyberpunk Extropian sci-fi with psychological and philosophical suspense.
Published (first published January 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about After Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Life

Tigran Ghardashyan
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Want to read a really smart sci-fi book on AI, long-term human evolution, self-identity etc.? Here you go (http://sifter.org/~simon/AfterLife/)!

You'll need to read it thoroughly to understand all the plot twists (incl. the ending :P). After fully finding out what's going on, you'll have a spontaneous altruistic desire to give the author his fully deserved one dollar on Amazon!
Tony Alleven
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically relevant perspective on what makes humans human and what makes us...us. The engaging writing style kept the pace mostly fast with necessary slow points when the author works in philosophical discussions.

Highly recommend.
Larper
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant take on transhumanism.
Lark
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, first-person
This is a story about a man named Alexander who is a PhD and decides to allow a new experiment in technology be implemented on his own brain, resulting in a meandering story of robots and artificial intelligence and dreams of robots and what happens when these machines take over the world.

I read through this fairly quickly without taking time to think and ponder through the possibilities and implications that Funk brings up. It was an intriguing and mildly engaging story simply for the ideas an
Anna
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This was...uh, interesting to say the least.

It felt like I was reading a simplified cyberpunk Kafkaesque work. Some parts of this book are brilliantly written and address issues I never thought I would find addressed in novellas like this, the other parts struck me as just sort of bland and very unnecessary.

I had absolutely no idea what I was reading until about halfway through the book, and the ending is pretty interesting, so in so far as plot goes, I'd say it's definitely a mind-twister.

All i
Rohit Gupta
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After Life was a fairly quick read but was certainly a trip. The story was as convoluting as it could get and at times it was difficult to keep track of the story. However, the visions the protagonist sees in his dreams/reality(?) were vividly described by Funke. They were surreal. Every minute and trivial detail was described in detail which I loved.

There was one chapter which I specifically loved where the author talks about reality. What is real and what is not. How do you describe reality? I
Ringman Roth
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Take a slice of Isaac Asimov, add a dash of Kafka, 5 tbsps of neo-cyberpunk, and add a whole heap of WTF, then heat until golden brown. This is a bizarre novella, but a good one. The large majority of it is trying to figure out what is going on, but the book leads you along without ever letting you get completely lost. My only gripe is that Simon Funk's mind tends to fall into the gutter every now and then, but if you can look past that, its a great read.
Ana
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The writing style is odd, full of dreams and strange scenarios, not following a visible thread until most of the way through the book. It really works for this story. I enjoy reading books that try to give a glimpse of a possible future, and this one uses (what I think are) plausible mechanisms and a reasonable storyline for future technology. A very enjoyable book that seems like it will hold up as a futuristic sci-fi story for a long time.
Michael
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, but I just found it too hard to follow. I guess that's intended to simulate the experience of the main character, but I found it very confusing. Each chapter is its own snippet of an experience, and the reader must deduce nearly everything about what is happening and why.
Steen Ledet
A decent sf novella about artificial intelligence, embodiment and what comes after the human. The speculative parts are better than the story, which often creaks under the desire to create an unstable but fascinating narrator.
WarBiscuit
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read the free online copy, then immediately ordered a hard copy from Lulu. Great little novella about post-human existence, but embued with a wonderful sense of humour throughout. Some rather well-written ideas about the architecture of the human mind as well.
Arya Antaputra
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting chronicle of the human race evolution into machines. Didn't see that ending coming.
Jeff Blake
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting novella. It reminds me a bit of Manna, but set further along in the future. It can get raunchy in parts, but overall a fun read.
Peter
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
great little novella about mind mapping. free. http://interstice.com/~simon/AfterLife/
Francesco
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Questo è un libro che ti fa restare incollato alla sedia.
Michael Quinn
Jan 11, 2018
Herman Schonken
Jan 24, 2012
Adam R
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2012