Start by marking “Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace and Healing” as Want to Read:
Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace and Healing

Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace and Healing

2009 Christianity Today Book Award winnerOur world is broken and cries out for reconciliation. But mere conflict resolution and peacemaking are not enough. What makes real reconciliation possible? How is it that some people are able to forgive the most horrendous of evils? And what role does God play in these stories? Does reconciliation make any sense apart from the bibli ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Reconciling All Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reconciling All Things

Start your review of Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace and Healing
D.L. Mayfield
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a deeply theological and yet utterly practical book for people in the midst of reconciliation work. It called me back to the deepest longings of my heart, and was like a balm in the age of twitter activists. I will come back to this book again and again.
Dave Courtney
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
"We are claiming that there is a deeper, richer hope God offers to the world. Yet we have forgotten the very source that makes reconciliation a distinct gift and vision of hope. When we step back, two things come clear: first, God's life-giving vision grows out of a story, and second, that story is about a quieter revolution... when Christian's remember well, we are able to explore the story of God's involvement with the world and to draw on that story to locate and understand what is going on a ...more
Austin Mathews
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True reconciliation requires not just a good story, but the gospel. It des not simply pattern itself off Jesus’ ministry, but lives it, remembers his sacrifices and God’s love, and looks forward in hope, knowing that the way things are is not the way things have to be. The leader of reconciliation requires faithfulness, incarnation, and time. Time amongst other broken people, and time away from them each week to be with God. This book clarifies the purpose of the church, the mission of God, and ...more
Amy Morgan
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a necessary encouragement and challenge to anyone who wants to see the wrong in the world righted. A reminder that reconciliation is done in light of the destination that we will only reach when Christ returns, but the real goal is to journey faithfully. Practical points and spiritually refreshing, this book points continually to Christ as the end and the goal of reconciliation.
Ben
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teds, spring-2018
Wordy and high on anecdotes and rhetoric; low on substance and brevity
Seongkyul
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bit more theoretical than I'd hoped, but helpful to consider biblical grounds of/perspectives on reconciliation -- to be reminded that restorative work is as much spiritual and counter-cultural as it is "project based" programming, that character matters, and that communal healing is a long road worth walking alongside many others both in and beyond the bible who have done the same, in faith.

Appreciate the case studies and language it introduced with which to discuss this topic. Curious about D
Stephen
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read for today!
Derek Emerson
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Emmanuel Katongole and Chris Rice’s book balances itself between being a self-help book and theological abstract. The result is a book which reflects on the issue of reconciliation with some depth, but also shows how those reflections are played out in the world.

While individual reconciliation is essential, this books focuses more on communities which have experienced some severe trauma. Once we accept God’s gift of reconciliation we are called on to heal the brokenness of those around us. Our
Becca
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gwen Daniels
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
In today’s broken world, we often equate reconciliation with peacemaking, extinguishing fires or calling for a truce between communities or individuals at odds. Even well-meaning Christians are satisfied by short-term efforts or volunteerism that creates a temporary calm.

In their book Reconciling All Things, Emmanuel Katongole and Chris Rice share a Biblical vision of reconciliation that brings the world closer to God.

Katongole and Rice ground reconciliation in the Creation story. In the beginni
Noelle VanVleet
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This book does not ignore the role played by the church in failing to bring reconciliation and often contributing to racial and cultural divides. But it continues to point to the cross, while encouraging Christians not to ignore historical problems or sins but to acknowledge the hurt and the pain of the past and truly mourn with those who continue to be affected by it. This is a short and simple read, but it addresses an important topic across denominational lines with a relevant message for us ...more
Amy
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this book. And it was so good. Everyone is called to the journey of restoring relationships and we enter into the journey because God has restored in Jesus our relationship with Him. The journey will not be easy and will take all of our lifetimes and beyond, but we are still called to follow. The authors provided examples of regular people in their corner of the world building relationships with the stranger, the neighbor, the enemy.
Ramón
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
A down-to-earth exploration from two practicioners of what I find to be a central theological theme in the Scriptures: the reconciliation of all of creation to the creator God. I would recommend this to anyone who is trying to make sense of the seemingly vast distance between the big picture of new creation and the daily struggle to live as an ambassador of reconciliation. The chapter on the practice of Lament was my favorite.
Jen
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This book redefines reconcilliation as the story of God in the Bible and in us as we inhabit that story. The authors tell their stories and other stories of the quiet revolution of accepting the gift of God's healing work and becoming participants. The writing is not exceptional. Sometimes there is a "jargon" feel. But all in all...I highly recommend.
Joyce
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity, jesus
Chris Rice and Emmanual Katongole at Duke's Center for Reconciliation articulate how reconciliation is rooted in the orthodox Christian faith. They talk about the discipline of lament (which leads to hope), something new that I learned. I recommend it for those who are serious about the business of reconciliation.
Diane
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This book talks about developing a Christian idea of reconciliation and justice. It is fairly well-written, but also very short, and hence does not develop ideas in any great depth. However, the authors do provide a number of interesting anecdotes to support their positions.
Grace
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
good primer on Christian vision of reconciliation (social, racial) but really bland writing style.
Susan
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing....a must read..
James Hansee
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Weight of All Things
  • Nectar in a Sieve
  • The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • The Myth of Equality: Uncovering the Roots of Injustice and Privilege
  • The Cross and the Lynching Tree
  • Divided by Faith: Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • A Heart for the Work: Journeys through an African Medical School
  • When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself
  • Encounters with Jesus: Unexpected Answers to Life's Biggest Questions
  • From Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race
  • Disunity in Christ: Uncovering the Hidden Forces That Keep Us Apart
  • Social and Cultural Anthropology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Reforming Journalism
  • Earthwise: A Guide to Hopeful Creation Care
Emmanuel Katongole earned his Ph.D. in philosophy from the Catholic University of Louvain and a diploma in theology and religious studies from Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda.

He is an expert in the study of Africa, the theology of reconciliation and lament, and Catholicism in the global South.

News & Interviews

“Stepping back and connecting reconciliation to God’s story also helps us move away from dramatic visions of fixing the world, as if our job were to provide solutions to problems outside us. If Christians believe anything, it is that no one—including ourselves and the church—is separate from the brokenness as an untainted solution to the problems of our world. The new creation contends with the old. The dividing line between good and evil runs straight through each one of us. So the journey of reconciliation begins with a transformation of the human person.” 3 likes
“God’s gift of a call to be Christ’s ambassadors of reconciliation intends to unseat other lords—power, nationalism, race or ethnic loyalty as an end in itself—and give birth to deeper allegiances, stories, spaces and communities that are a “demonstration plot” of the reality of God’s new creation in Christ. Put simply, reconciliation both names the church as and requires the church to be the sign and agent of God’s reconciliation.” 1 likes