Start by marking “It Was Only a Kiss” as Want to Read:
It Was Only a Kiss

It Was Only a Kiss

It Was Only a Kiss...

Violet Hotchkiss is head over heels in love with Oliver Quincy, the embodiment of the perfect English gentleman in every novel she’s ever read. So why is she kissing Will Sinclair in the garden at the Twelfth Night ball?

That Led to a Night...

Violet always found Will to be too much—too tall, too handsome...too far out of reach for a bespectacled spinste
Published February 19th 2021 by Love Ink Books, LLC (first published July 28th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about It Was Only a Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Was Only a Kiss

Start your review of It Was Only a Kiss
Siobhan
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
It Was Only a Kiss was my second read by Sofie Darling, and it certainly has me wanting to read more of the author’s work. It Was Only A Kiss is an adorable quick read that hit me with all the feels. I fell for the characters with ease and could not get enough of their story. It was simple, but powerful, and I loved every moment of it.

Without a doubt, it’s perfect for anyone looking for something quick yet powerful.
Steph N
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I originally read this story when it was part of an anthology called Once Upon a Twelfth Night, & it was one of my favorites.
Will Sinclair is home after 3 years abroad.
He’s surprised & relieved to find his childhood friend Violet Hotchkiss is unmarried.
Violet considers herself a soon-to-be-spinster. She’s always found Will Sinclair to be overwhelming. Too handsome. Too intense, Too everything for a blue-stocking that wears spectacles.
Unaware that Will has always had feelings for her, Violet
Aj
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It Was Only a Kiss... ah but it was so much more, it was a Hotchkiss!!

Loved the story, loved the writing - it was cute, it was warm, it had the swoon worthy hero, Will Sinclair and the bluestocking bespectacled lady, Violet Hotchkiss who just so happens to be passionate, bold and such a beauty inside and out. I'm so glad our hero, Will sees this from the beginning, only Violet needs convincing and so begins their journey to love.

This is what you want out of a romance story - the perfect touch o
Shelly
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Kat Tolle
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A TRUE DELIGHT TO READ! It Was Only A Kiss by Sofie Darling was one of the sweetest stories I have ever read. You can’t help falling in love with Sinclair and Violet as their romance comes to a sizzle. I found Sofie’s writing to be creative and easy to read. This regency story come to life and I could not put this book down. I am so looking forward to Sofie’s next book as she never disappoints. This story has a strong and intelligent women, a imitating man coming back from his travels, loving so ...more
Lana Birky
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lady Violet Hotchkiss is a bespectacled wallflower of four and twenty years, who was more comfortable discussing 1815 Corn Law than today's lady's fashions. Will Sinclair is Bumstead Hollow's most eligible bachelor and he has returned after three years of travelling to exotic places. Now, he has returned to fulfill his responsibilities and duties to his parents and the running estate. Violet & Will had known each other since childhood as they were neighbors - Will has always been interested in V ...more
Marcy G
It Was Only A KISS by Sophie Darling
The story of Lady Violet Hotchkiss and Will Sinclair started in
there childhood years. Only now Violet believes she is heading
into spinsterhood. Will just returning from his travels after three
years still has eyes for Violet and she has no idea.
Sophie Darlings writing is so detailed that she makes you feel like
you are there and living the experience. The hidden love, desire, and
the seductiveness all add to the story.
It is a Great, Enjoyable Read .Highly Reco
CATHERINE  BURHANS
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is such a charming love story! Violet is a bespectacled Bluestocking on her way to spinsterhood. She’s the “smart” one, while her younger sister is the “pretty” one, already married and having her first child, but Violet is ok with that, and very happy for her sister. Will has been her neighbor since childhood and has long had a crush on Violet. After being on a grand tour for three years, Will returns and is happily surprised to find that Violet has not yet married. But she seems to only h ...more
Rachel
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella
Cute, quick read. Violet is a bespectacled young woman who is smart and attractive but has very low self esteem. She is convinced she will become a spinster. Will is a very attractive man who has been attracted to Violet for years. When he returns to town after his Grand Tour, he is stunned to learn that she is still unmarried. He tries to show her he is attracted to her, but she thinks he is joking. After a disappointing night at a ball, she thinks she will never be kissed and impulsively asks ...more
Annette Drewett
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable Regency tale which was originally included in the ‘Once Upon a Twelfth Night’ anthology. This story ticks all the boxes of a romantic storyline of wishing for what you can’t have. Will has had feelings for Violet since childhood, but she cannot see what is right in front of her. The trials they both face to reach their happily ever after makes this a book you don’t want to put down. Great read!
I received a complimentary copy of the book and this is my honest review.
Rosemary
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a nice love story between Will and Violet. I think Will is kind of sweet and has a little place in my heart. Sofie Darling’s writing makes you forget the time, and before you know it you are done with her book.
I received a copy for my honest opinion.
Kathy
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great short story with a delightful twist. I love that Will secretly is in love with Violet and brings out the best in her. A nice story about women’s that have diminished self esteems finding that one person that sees beyond the superficial.
Candy
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
I read this story as part of the twelfth night anthology. It is a smart, sweet, and relatively short read with very likeable characters and a great and unusual conclusion. I highly recommend this book.
Daisy
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved Will and Violet's cute story

Very enjoyable light novela and sexy too! Manages to be light and steamy at the same time. Oliver was a great character too.
Shelli
Feb 27, 2021
Lady Bea
Apr 03, 2021
Sofie Darling
Feb 20, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Rachel
Mar 18, 2021
Susan Sieger
Mar 21, 2021

• The Young and the Ruined: Compromised
  • Love Me, If You Dare (Wagers and Wallflowers #1)
  • Baron of Blasphemy (Lords of Scandal, #12)
  • Winter's Widow (The Wicked Winters, #12)
  • Invitation (The Phoenix Club #0.5)
  • Duke of Dishonor (Lords of Scandal, #11)
  • Earl of Shefford (Noble Hearts, #3; Wicked Earls' Club)
  • A Hero for Lady Abigail (A Wallflower's Wish #5)
  • The Devil in Her Bed (Devil You Know, #3)
  • I Kissed an Earl (and I Liked It) (That Wicked O'Shea Family, #1)
  • Dear Duke
  • A Rogue to Ruin (The Pretenders #3)
  • Master of the Moor (Dark Gothic, #1; World of de Wolfe Pack)
  • The Tantalizing of a Scandalous Rake (The Lords of Scandal Row Book 3)
  • The Difference One Duke Makes (Reckless Brides, #5.5)
  • The Truth About Princesses and Dukes (The Duke Hunters Club, #6)
  • Earl of Keyworth (Seductive Scoundrels, #12; Wicked Earls' Club)
  • Winter's Warrior (The Wicked Winters Book 13)
Sofie Darling is an award-winning author of historical romance. Her debut novel, THREE LESSONS IN SEDUCTION, won the Writers’ League of Texas’ Manuscript Contest in the Romance Category in 2016.
She spent much of her twenties raising two boys and reading every book she could get her hands on. Once she realized she simply had to write the books she loved, she finished her English degree and embarked

News & Interviews