Start by marking “Flynn (Flynn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flynn

Gregory McDonald

Flynn (Flynn #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  720 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ever since F.X. Flynn made his first appearance in Confess, Fletch, matching wits with the inimitable Irwin Fletcher, he has befuddled, infuriated, and amazed his colleagues on the Boston Police force while in pursuit of blackmailers, murderers, embezzlers, politicians, and, occasionally, his fellow policemen.

It might have been an accident that brought down the Boeing 707
Published February 1st 1980 by Arrow Books (first published July 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Flynn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flynn

Mhd
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this years ago, but I just finished a re-read. I love the Flynn character and how he interacts with others, especially his family. It's best to read this series in order, but not as necessary as in many other series. Airport security, terrorism, technology, and other things have dated this series, but not to the point that the action, process, and humor are affected.
Christian
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day I will manage to track down a copy of confess fletch. The meeting of a incurable smartass such as fletch and professional sarcastic such as Flynn will be worthwhile reading.
Flynn first own adventure is so beautifully written that I couldn't put it down until I was finished.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I read this in a surprisingly short time, so I guess it qualifies as "couldn't put it down." I was going to shelve it as "police procedural"--well it is, and it isn't. As I got into it, I thought of shelving it as spy fiction (not that I have a shelf for that)--well it is, and it isn't. The biggest mystery about it is Flynn himself.

Flynn is employed in the Records Department of the Boston police force. He has a huge ornate office with a fireplace, a camp-bed, a very large dark wood desk, and an
Hans
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flynn's first solo outing is definitely not quite the perfection in the form of the lightening-that-struck-twice with Fletch and Confess, Fletch, but still better than most comic thrillers. Flynn works best when the Inspector is doing things his own way, spending time with his family, and driving other authorities crazy. A few things feel dated (airport security, the 1970s trope about fake nations, and the no-named spy agency), but there are enough pleasures here to keep the pages flying.

The ele
Rich
Fletch creator, Gregory McDonald, pulled a character from the second Fletch novel (Confess, Fletch), and created the most unlikeliest of spies--Francis Xaivier Flynn. Flynn holds the rank of Inspector in the Boston Police Department, but the fact is there isn't such a rank in that department. It's a cover for his government job, an operative for an unnamed agency.

Flynn is also a loving family man, who returns home to his wife and four children every night.

While he's solving mysteries for the F
Brian
Jun 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. After first meeting this character in the Fletch series I thought I would give it a try.

The way the author builds in a backstory of the main character into the plotline of the book is done really well. It's a little 'need-to-know' when you get more info coming to light about the character's history and he gives you just enough to satisfy for that point in time. It sticks to your standard crime/mystery genre, but the lead character has enough personality to drive the
astaliegurec
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. I picked it up because Flynn was the Boston Inspector Fletch worked with/against in "Confess, Fletch" (a very good book). The book is a fun, engrossing read. But, the ending is a bit weak. Oh, the bad guys are found out, but there's no satisfaction in it. Various third parties clean things up once Flynn figures things out, but Flynn doesn't really get to say "I told you so" or to rub someone's nose in their stupidity. Truth, Justice, and the American Way are served, ...more
Jan
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh :( I adored Gregory McDonald's Skylar series and enjoyed the Fletch books I read. Flynn has left me cold despite the Boston locale. He is a police "inspector" who is really a spy in hiding but he just thinks he's too clever for his own good. The story had potential when a plane crashes near Flynn's home. I was thinking about the excellent Night Fall by Nelson Demille. No such luck. Too many cockamamie suspects and motives to even be interesting. Think I will stick w Carlotta Carlysle & S ...more
Nathan Hurst
I reread this book after 20 years and it still made me laugh. Great characters and great plot. Flynn is the Columbo of the spy world, with many people believing him to be a bumbling fool, in actuality he's way ahead of everyone.

The plot has you twisting and turning, not knowing quite what to think until the big reveal at the end. I felt the FBI agent Hess could have had a little more of a fall at the end but that may come later.

Looking forward to the next in the series.
Randy Stapilus
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
McDonald's trying, I think, for a protagonist that isn't too clearly an alter ego, but it comes across a little too wheezy, if still likeable. The distinctiveness of the early Fletch novels is missing.
  • Plot it Yourself (Nero Wolfe, #32)
  • The Mandarin Cypher
  • The Ferrari in the Bedroom
  • The High Place
  • More Matter: Essays and Criticism

Flynn (4 books)
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • Flynn's In (Flynn, #3)
  • Flynn's World (Flynn, #4)
“Let me lay down a few ground rules," the man continued. "First, you'll be available to us at all times. Second, you will stay out of our way, confining yourself to doing what you are told to do, when you are told to do it. Third, you will see that the Boston Police Department provides all services we ask, the minute we ask for them. Fourth, you'll keep the other jerk members of the Boston Police Department in line. We don't want any locals bucking for heroes' stars on this case. Fifth, you'll keep the press, both local and national, as far away from us as possible, and then some, at all times. Is that clear?"

Flynn smiled. "And tell me, did your father indicate to your mother what his name might be the night he spent with her?" The men stared at Flynn. Some of them stepped back.”
0 likes
“Cocky spilled a little of the tea on the folded towel Flynn had on the edge of the desk for just that purpose—for Cocky to spill on it. “That’s lovely,” said Flynn.” 0 likes