Start by marking “Hand In Glove” as Want to Read:
Hand In Glove

Hand In Glove

Judith Daniels knew that her friend, Lacey, feared for her life. And when Lacey died suddenly, Judith was convinced that her death had not been an accident. Desperate to learn the truth, she applied for Lacey's job at Ryan Smith's puppet factory.

Her task proved difficult. The voices behind the puppets were cleverly disguised. So were the people involved, for ea
Paperback, Harlequin Intrigue, #59, 253 pages
Published January 1st 1987 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Hand In Glove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand In Glove

karen
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
hand in glove, the sun shines out of our behinds. no, it's not like any other love, this one is different because...of puppets.and nazis.and so many oversized t-shirts.

i was told to read this because it was terrible. and it is, but there is still an unexpected charm to it. it's like opening a time capsule to the 80's, with its reeboks and its tab soda, and its phil collins in the car's tape deck (which means a character is listening to phil collins by choice) and its pageboy haircuts...

which i always thought was this:

which i always thought was this:

but apparently, it is some kind of hairstyle that is long enough to braid. sexily.

if you have it in you to track down a harlequin intrigue from 1987, (# 59 ), then you should probably not read this review because i am operating under the belief that series romances; the numbered ones that come out monthly, and which women will align their menstrual cycle with, and which are out of print in six months, are not the kind of thing one reads except during that six-month window. these are short, disposable, escapist nothings that have no lasting allure, so i'm just going to pretend we have all read it, although i will refrain from giving away the super duper big ending.just in case.

so this is our heroine:

who may look and dress like grace kelly, but she rebuilds cars in her spare time, and gets hired at the puppet factory (which is FIVE-STORIES!! for like nine employees!!) after she fixes the AC, getting her linen suit all greasy-lube-y in front of the boss. he admires her greasy face, mmmmm yeah.

and our hero is a hot puppeteer. hang on, let me GIS "hot puppeteer."

yeah. pretty much what i thought.

so she's a trilingual former gymnast bryn mawr graduate who comes from money and social standing, full of poise, whose occupation is... writing a fix-it column in the philadelphia mirror. kay. and one night she receives a call from her formerly close friend lacey, from whom she has grown apart, mostly because her friend is kind of slutty and insane with the married men and the irritating drama. and she's all, "ryan smith is trying to killlll me!!" and judith is all, "dude, it's three in the morning" and lacey is all "no but killing me! scary puppet factory!!!" and judith is all "you are bonkers, seriously."

and then lacey dies. at the puppet factory.

so judith decides to go all investigative girl reporter on the situation and singlehandedly find out who murdered this girl she doesn't even really care about anymore.

and she may be able to fix any machine ever invented, but she's a really shitty detective. who gets out of the pool and starts snooping around someone's house in their bathing suit, not noticing what must be sheets of water sluicing off of her in order to so clearly mark her passage through the house in about twenty minutes time?? who repeatedly goes off on solitary walks and "business trips" with the main suspect, unarmed?? she is terrible at this.

as a mystery novel, it is pretty unsatisfying because, really, anyone can figure out who the naughty person is from the beginning. as a romance novel, it is perplexing because the first kiss isn't even until page 156/253, and most of the time, the two romantic leads are largely avoiding each other suspiciously; without even any of the slow sexual tension buildup that would be expected in a book like this.and so when they do decide to fall in love, it's a big "who cares..." but also - "why?"

here's a fun game:

Q: what is, "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind..."??

A: this is what the gentleman says after he climaxes when they have sexual intercourse for the first time. (p. 191)

gross, right? but considering a lot of the courtship is enabled through puppets in this book, this is oddly less creepy just by comparison. yup. puppets. there is a lecherous dragon puppet who talks about the things he wants to do to all the ladies in the book, and a young boy puppet who "falls in love" with the ladies and flirts with them. but whoooo could be operating the puppets?? because it changes; no one knows who is behind the puppet's woooooords. but no matter whose hand is shoved up in the body cavity, it is still creepy and gross and wrong. and people just have conversations with the puppets like it is a normal thing and not batshit crazy.but it is. it is batshit to casually talk about sex with a purple dragon puppet while you are scratching it on the head and its human operator is unseen and you aren't even positive who it is at the time. and if the dragon puppet on the cover of this book is supposed to be the actual puppet from this book, there is no way that dude is a billionaire with his puppets in museums and a ton of merchandising rights. that is one shitty puppet.

not sexy.

this book also has nazis.and MPD. and a complete waste of real estate, both residential and industrial. please, property owners, make better choices...

there is so much wrong with this book, but it is not as hilariously wrong as i had hoped. it was just...blandly bizarre. i know i shouldn't hold these monthly releases to any sort of literary expectations, but at the very least i would like that characters to make sense and be consistent.

it's dumb. but harmless dumb.
and it was only a dollar.

but sarah montambo probably wouldn't like it!

come to my blog!
Sandra
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heroine Judith Daniels' friend Lacey calls Judith in the middle of the night and asks Judith to help her because she thinks she's being watched and someone wants to kill her. Judith doesn't pay too much attention to the phone call. Lacey has always been overly dramatic, imagining things, exaggerating. But twelve hours later, Lacey is dead.

Judith feels guilty about Lacey's death and she wonders if there was some truth to what Lacey was trying to tell her on the phone. Judith decides t
Tammy Walton Grant
If there was such a place as The Rosemary Rogers School of Plot Development their award for Book of the Year would look like this:

and this book would win, hands down.

This little tome would not only win that award, but it has set a number of personal records for me:
• The longest time to read the shortest book: 6 days to read 253 pages.
• The best/worst jaw-droppingly fucking awesomely ridiculous crockpot of what-the-fuckery I've ever picked up.
• And, last but definitely not least, quite possibly the STUPIDEST romance novel
Karla
8/6/11: It would have been 2 stars, except the last minute add-on of NAZIS, so it's a 1 star of WTF. Review later, when I've recovered.

8/7/11: You know what, screw it. This one simply defies me to ponder out a review. It sucked so damn hard. So let this suffice:

Nancy Drew reporter heroine desperately wants to give a blowjob and bang the sexed-up Jim Henson hero, who she thinks killed her slutty college roommate friend. The puppet factory, despite being the center of some massive Muppet-esque merchandise empire, has only a ha
Rachel (BAVR)
I think the cover of The Notorious Anne Stuart's Hand in Glove sums up this WTF crapfest of nonsense perfectly. Let's examine it, shall we? You have one of the Sweet Valley High twins (thanks, Audrey!), probably Jessica because Jessica was The Worst (TM) 99% of the time, clinging to a furrow-browed man who I can only assume is her father or a child predator. And why is Jessica scared? Well, for one, she's standing in a fucking warehouse with a creepster in a golf shirt. But also, check out the tormen ...more
Sarah Mac

Curiosity killed the cat. And in the case of Hand in Glove, the cat's death was a messy one. The saddest thing is that I knew better. Having watched several Goodreads friends broken by the horribleness that is Hand in Glove, I should've accepted it wasn't worth the pain. But no. I was blinded by the glory of conquering where others had fallen by the wayside.

Do not -- I repeat, DO NOT -- make the same mistake I did.

There is no humor in this book. There is no plot in this book. There is no logic in this boo
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Vintage 80s Harlequin Buddy Read with Christa & Doodles!!

1.5 Stars!

There is SOOOOO much WTFery going on in this book. I mean, I can totally see why this is still in print. Readers need a little WTF palate cleanser sometimes.

This book has so much WTF that I’m just going to post impressions. There Will Be Spoilers. Read At Your Own Risk.

Ok. Lets’ get ‘er done!

Our heroine, Judith:
"Judith Kennedy Daniels was the daughter of an extremel
Hester
The people at Harlequin have some balls to list this hot mess under the genre of Intrigue. By the end of the first chapter I already knew how it would end, but that didn't stop me from reading it because the bad guy is a murderous puppet.

Reporter Judith Daniels comes from an old moneyed Philadelphia lineage so of course she has to look like an in her prime Grace Kelly. She has class, she has style (thanks to a Bryn Mawr education she knows how to dress for a job interview) and despite the fact
April Brookshire
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book shines in all its weirdness, so weirdly wonderful! You would think a hero that uses puppets to flirt with the heroine and talk dirty would be unappealing, but it wasn't. It was hilarious! I wish there would've been more of the puppets in this book, especially Billy, the hero's puppet alter-ego. This book reminds me a little of the movie Magic, but with The Muppets. Anne Stuart never fails to entertain me with the weirdness of her plots.
Aneca
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another category by Anne Stuart. Entertaining and suspenseful although this time I guessed the villain fairly early.

The story had quite a curious setting, a puppet factory where most of the workers and the owner seem to have a puppet alter ego. Judith Daniels arrives trying to discover what really happened to her friend whose death was officially ruled an accident. Although she comes under an alias, Ryan Smith, the factory owner soon discovers who she really is.

As Judith
Jessica
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: category-romance

This book was amazing. A big part of why I read Stuart is for the WTFery, and this is pretty much everything I could hope for in that sense: it includes puppet villain POV! A final battle scene that was (view spoiler).

The romance, unfortunately ... mostly made me want to re-read Catspaw. The heroine kept thinking the hero was the villain based pre
Christian Nuera
I ended up enjoying this more than I expected. I guess it's a sign that Anne Stuart could write the silliest plots and I will still read them. I loved the heroine - beautiful and confident, and can fix anything mechanical if it stays still long enough! But the hero came across as a bit too sensitive and easily hurt. In fact, it seemed like most of the employees at the puppet factory seemed off in some way (I guess with all of the different roles and personalities they slip into with the puppets, ...more
Denae
Well, this was my first Harlequin Intrigue and it is just as wtf bad as MrsJoseph warned. Off brand Muppets, classism, Nazi atrocities, oversized T-shirts, baggy jeans, and the patriarchy.
Mara
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
3 1/2
Peggy
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Love Ann Sturt's Books

The story was great the people were awesome Judith was a master at fixing things and Ryan was a dream he was great.
The book had some funny parts and the suspense was right up there the killer was a lil tuff to fiber out but I fudge red it right out.
What I did not like wax the puppets the people all were talking as them and it and I did not care for it.
Outer then then that it was a great read.
Ann Stuart's writing is different every time reach
Rose
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Who knew puppets could be sexy?

Okay, despite the wacky plot, it was quite entertaining. Somehow, Anne Stuart can write pretty much anything and I'll enjoy it, even if it's not something I think I'll like.

The villain was made pretty obvious, and I think I might have preferred a bit more mystery. And his reason? Nazis. (End of argument.) Also, I wish the heroine would have trusted the hero a bit more.
Janet
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-mystery
Perhaps more of a 3 1/2 stars. I figured out the villain a little bit too soon and that made the ending somewhat of a let-down. A dated, but in a good way, book about a time when puppets were king. Definitely able to see the typical Stuart hero/heroine dynamic and characteristics ... which is a good thing, imo.
Nicole Amburgey
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The four star review is not for the plot, characters, or quality of writing - it's for sheer entertainment! I went in expecting a train wreck and that is exactly what I got! B-movie quality fun here, everyone!
Brenda Saavedra
Dec 28, 2015
Vicki Parsons
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
MobileRead Book C...: Buddy Read: Hand In Glove by Anne Stuart 72 7 Mar 29, 2019 08:48AM
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies,