Start by marking “At First Hate (Coastal Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
At First Hate (Coastal Chronicles, #2)

At First Hate

(Coastal Chronicles #2)

A new stand alone enemies-to-lovers romance from USA Today bestselling author K.A. Linde…

Derek Ballentine and I have always been on opposite sides of everything.

I went to a public Savannah high school. He went to a private Catholic school. I went to Duke on scholarship. He went to UNC as a legacy. When we both end up at Harvard for graduate school and we’re finally on a le
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 296 pages
Published September 7th 2021 by K.A. Linde Inc.

Start your review of At First Hate (Coastal Chronicles, #2)
Christy
Aug 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars

If you love K.A. Linde's angsty reads, you need this book in your life! At First Hate was such a great second chance/enemies to lovers romance with loads of angst.

Marley and Derek meet in high school. Marley goes to public school and lives with her grandparents and twin brother, whereas Derek lives in the rich part of town and goes to an all boys private school. It's obvious from the start that these two have loads of chemistry, but Derek is young and dumb, and Marley is on track to do g
M
Aug 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, audio
I was able to listen to an arc of the audiobook and I really enjoyed it. The narrator did a fantastic job. Emma Wilder knocked it out the the park.

This story had some tons of great enemies to lovers moments. The push and pull was for sure dominate in this one. The chemistry was strong and explosive.

Marley and Derek grew up in different worlds. He came from money and she came from almost nothing. He went to one of the best high schools in the area and she didn't. One random Halloween party set
Mickey (Fictionalden)
Nonsense.

“Well, let me tell you, Derek,” I said, “I’m not like any other girl you’ll ever meet.”

Proceeds to give her first kiss to the guy she just met.

description

Spoilers Ahead!

The only thing I know about Derek (H), is that he is hot, that’s basically his entire personality trait. Lmao. Thanks for the input Marley. However, the few of my brain cells that are currently working have come with it’s own conclusion and that’s Derek is just a spineless, selfish jerk.

The plot was a mess, made zero sense. For fi
1-Click Addict Support Group
Sep 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Emotional seesaw…

Ahh, this author knows how to write high drama, drown in the angst amazing reads! Derek and Marley’s story was an enemies to lovers saga that spanned decades and all spaces on the emotional wheel…

From the minute they met, they were at odds with each other. Rich vs not poor but not rich. UNC vs Duke. Basketball vs everything else. Their animosity was legendary but didn’t quiet disguise the fact that they had chemistry. And that was going to flavour ever interaction they had. From
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.At First Hate by K. A Linde is the second book in the Coastal Chronicles series. I had a good time with  book one Hold The Forevers, and so I was pleased to learn the author was giving her fans another book in the series.

I am always on the lookout for an enemies to lovers romance and Linde delivered with At First Hate. This installment gives us Derek and Marley’
Mel
Sep 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

At First Hate, the second book in the Coastal Chronicles by K.A. Linde, features Marely and Derek, and it is a roller-coaster ride spanning more than fifteen years. Full of feels, angst, and growth, this enemies-to-lovers, second-chance romance will break your heart before finally piecing it back together. It’s emotional and angsty, and I loved it.

Marley and Derek meet in high school and immediately start off on the wrong foot. They are opposite in so many ways but there is an attrac
Manoela
Aug 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
2/2.5 Stars

I'll keep my review short, because although I really like this author's books, this book has failed to capture my attention, as well as previous ones. Although the synopsis was promising, I found the development of going back and forth a bit confusing and I couldn't connect with the characters.
But that's my personal take on the book, and don't let that stop you from giving this story a chance.
I Received an unreleased copy of this book
➖➖➖
Eu vou manter a minha resenha curta, pois embo
Erica Chilson
I received a free copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

3.5 Stars

As a huge fan of KA Linde's, a great lover of angst, and as someone who adores the back and forth of timelines to draw an entire picture, it pains me to say At First Hate didn't work for me. I "wanted" to love it. While the premise was an engaging one, the execution and "voice" is what tore me from the story itself.

This is Marley & Derek's angsty tale, as told by Marley in several time spans. High School, the chee
Courtney
Sep 09, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

At First Hate is book two in Linde's Coastal Chronicles series and can easily be read as a standalone. I honestly forgot it was part of a series until I updated my Goodreads status and saw it was part of the series. LOL

As much as I wanted to love this book, something was missing for me. I couldn't quite put my finger on it til I went to write this review. While I enjoyed the premise and the concept of this book, I found myself struggling to grasp onto it. Everything just felt surface
Michele McMullen
Sep 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Oh my how I love a enemies to lovers angsty read and that is exactly what At First Hate brought to the table. Derek and Marley meet in high school, they are rival schools and it is hate from the get go. Marley does not like entitled snobs and that is exactly what Derek seems to be. Derek is drawn to her classic beauty but her mouth and opinion of mostly him always shine through. So what happens when you are literally drawn to the man you can't stand? How will you move past this when you constant ...more
Sanaa
Sep 08, 2021 rated it really liked it

I think this might be one of my favorite KA Linde books that she's written in a while. It has the classic angst that Linde is known for. This story is about Marley and Derek and it spans from high school to their adult life - so well over a decade. We get to see all their ups and downs, get to see them grow as a person and as a couple and you can't help but fall in love with them and the story.

I really liked the way everything was written and how well the story flowed. The side chara
Aimee Crant-oksa
Aug 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
At First Hate by KA Linde was a second chance, enemies to lovers story. It was filled with great characters, witty banter and some angst moments that you have come to love from Linde.
Marley comes home after being away at school to take care of her grandmother’s house after her passing. Filled with memories from the past, both good and bad. She had a great, caring grandmother who raised her and her brother after her mother was non-existent. The one person she doesn’t want to see or deal with is t
lowkeyreader
Sep 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Oh my, Derek and Marley's story put me in such a wringer. Just because of how long it took them to get to the end. Kid you not, their story was years in the making. Just when they think it's going to work this time around, there's always something that breaks them. They have so much chemistry, tension but maybe they're just not meant to be together at that time.

Their story goes back and forth between the past and the present. Not going to lie, it definitely confuses me because of how many times
Devin McCain
Aug 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely unputdownable! Derek and Marley have so much chemistry, tension, and passion that you can feel it in every chapter. From start to finish, this one will be tugging on your heart. And don’t EVEN get me started on all of the cameos and Easter eggs hidden throughout from all of our favorite Linde books. O. M. G. You don’t want to miss this one.
Luisa Rivas
Sep 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2021
Imagine my surprise when I realize that this book is an offshoot of Hold the Forevers! The heroine in this story is Marley, Lila’s best friend, and here she has her own story of heartbreaks and second chances. KA Linde really killed it with this book! There are also mentions or cameos of loved characters from other books, so it felt like a class reunion of sorts, so lovely!

This story was a beautiful saga that comprised fifteen years of Marley and Derek loving each other but having bad luck stayi
Christy
Sep 02, 2021 rated it liked it
I love K.A. Linde and her books but this one missed the mark for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it and it was decent but there were things I did not care for that happened in the book.

Let's start with what I liked. The premise of the book was interesting. The enemies to lovers trope is always a favorite of mine. There was this rivalry and competition between Derek and Marley that I enjoyed. That was probably the part I liked best. The high school to college competition and bet they ha
Ruthie Taylor
Sep 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the second book in a related series, but stands alone.

If you like books which slip backwards and forwards in time, then this is for you. I am generally not a great fan, as it takes a lot of skill to develop a character over time and so dealing with three points in time is particularly complicated. I thought Derek showed change over time, but Marley less so. Admittedly her upbringing by her grandparents had been
Jodi
Aug 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love all things K.A. Linde, and I love a small town enemies to lovers romance, so of course I adored everything about this book! At First Hate made me irritated, made me blush, made me swoon, and made me completely fall in love with Marley and Derek!

Marley and Derek have quite the complicated history. They seem to love each other one minute, and hate each other the next. Their attraction is magnetic, and they always seem to find each other wherever they are. Their on and off again relationshi
PP's Bookshelf
Sep 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
At First Hate by K.A. Linde is a love story truly spreading across the ages and spaces. This soulful love story grows as the characters do. So many emotions. So many ups and downs. And still they end up together after a heartaching journey.

Marley aka Mars has come to her home town for the final rites of her grandmother who is everything to her. She is grieving and the last thing she needs is Derek Ballantine at the door of her grandmother's house, with legal papers informing that her good for no
Sep 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
***ARC Provided by the Author***

4.5 Stars

Oh, K. A. Linde does so enjoy torturing us readers...and it's a good thing, as I enjoy being tortured by her books.

Marley and Derek have known one another since high school, where his reputation caused her issues and started their feud...which was less of a feud than it was neither of them wanting the other to be with anyone else, while being afraid to admit that they wanted to be together.

I loved both of these characters and I especially loved how Linde
jess
Aug 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided for an honest review*

At First Hate is an enemies to lovers, second chance and small town romance that I absolutely enjoyed…even if it put me through so many emotions!

The blurb really caught my attention so I was excited to receive an early copy!! Derek and Marley have an insane history together. So many ups and downs, desire and heartbreak that has pushed them to be apart, now having one last chance to do things right in the present. I really liked the way this book was written. Th
Erin Lewis
Sep 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 star Review of At First Hate (Coastal Chronicles #2) by K.A. Linde
At First Hate is a second chance, enemies to lovers story about Marley and Derek. Told predominantly from Marley’s point of view, it spans approximately ten years. It is a story that is told in the past and the present and I admit that at times I was lost. I felt as though I was watching a tennis match, turning each way continuously.
There was a great deal of angst reading this book as it follows Marley and Derek from high scho
Sunny Shelly Reads
At First Hate is a delicious enemies-to-lovers second chance romance by K.A. Linde and I binged it in a day!

Marley and Derek's story spans 15 years, from high school through college and beyond to their professional lives, and it was an emotional journey of missed moments and bad timing. Just when they seemed to be on the same page, they were pulled apart over and over again. How many times could Marley hope for more from Derek before enough was enough?

They both changed as people over the years,
Yamina -Women Who Stare at Books
Two words: DEREK BALLENTINE
« Derek Ballentine could very easily be the most addictive substance on the planet. »

I devoured this story and I want more words… I want to know what’s next for Josie and Amelia!

I LOVED THIS STORY TO MARS AND BACK!!!
Derek and Mars story is kismet!
The relationships are portrayed with compassion and honesty

The ways KA Linde wrote a story that is absolutely stunning and her writing is so full of emotion. You. Feel. Everything and GOSH…. Emotional rollercoaster!!

KA Lind
Samantha
Sep 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Marley and Derek knew each other since their teens and have a typical angsty relationship that spans years from high school beyond college. I wanted to love this one but I just had trouble getting into it. They come from different backgrounds and have different plans but still manage to keep coming back into each other’s lives. Overall they can’t stand each other but keep going back for more. The story has you read between past and present. The story is entertaining and worth reading just be rea ...more
Jana
Sep 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-arc
There is something so unique about KA Linde’s writing. It’s so emotional, touching, and intriguing.
Marley and Derek were such a complicated couple. I enjoyed watching them throughout the book get to know each other, grow, and struggle through life. Their chemistry could be felt through the writing.
They both made mistakes and owned up to them.
She wrote very strong secondary characters without taking away from Marley and Derek.
I loved reading their story and am excited for the next book.
Julie
Sep 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great story, a very addictive read. Marley and Derek made a wonderful couple, they had terrific chemistry flowing from them in waves. The storyline was very well developed and the cameos from previous books add interest and fun to an amazing story. It’s an enemy to lovers with a difference that’s a definite must read!
Karen
Sep 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
It is a great enemies to .........story. I loved the characters and Savannah. I loved my trips to Savannah and Midnight in the Garden.....I loved her smartness. I hated that he got married.....

The only criticism I have is the back in time chapters. I don't get why?? Anyone?? It's a writing device, I suppose. Well, great story.
Adanna
Aug 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you are attracted to a person that you hate? Do you give in to the attraction? Marley has always been attracted to Derek, but his mouth has always gotten in the way. Can they get past their long-standing hatred to find love?

I didn't know what to make of Derek and Marley’s relationship for most of the book. The two continuously challenge each other. Their sarcastic, one-upmanship banter is laugh-out-loud funny. Readers can feel the push and pull between them from their first encounter. Wi
Michelle
Aug 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Coastal Chronicles series and you don’t have the read the first one to enjoy this one. I haven’t! But I’m going to read it now!

Derek and Marley star as enemies in high school and then become more over time. The book spans years of their relationship, during good time and back, and jumps around a lot. But the headings are super helpful so you don’t get lost.

The friendship between these two is terrific. The chemistry is off the charts scorching hot. But things betwee
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hard to Love (Play Hard, #5)
  • Alpha CEO
  • The Aristocrat
  • Southern Sunshine (Southern Series, #8)
  • Tell Me You Want Me
  • Elements of Chemistry: Heat (Hypothesis, #2)
  • The Trouble with #9 (Hockey Hotties, #2)
  • Elements of Chemistry: Capture (Hypothesis, #3)
  • Laws of Physics: Motion (Hypothesis, #4)
  • Laws of Physics: Space (Hypothesis, #5)
  • Elements of Chemistry: Attraction (Hypothesis, #1)
  • Wrecked (Dirty Air, #3)
  • Savage (Savage Falls Sinners MC #1)
  • My Bloodline (Featherstone Academy, #1)
  • There with You (Adair Family #2)
  • Stolen Crush (Lost Daughter Of A Serial Killer, #1)
  • Immoral Confessions (Boys of St. Augustine, #1)
  • Dead Lands (Savage Lands, #3)
K.A. Linde is the USA Today bestselling author of the Avoiding Series, Wrights, and more than thirty other novels. She has a Masters degree in political science from the University of Georgia, was the head campaign worker for the 2012 presidential campaign at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and served as the head coach of the Duke University dance team. She loves reading fantasy n ...more

Coastal Chronicles (2 books)
  • Hold the Forevers

News & Interviews

Audiobooks are an incredible way to experience stories—a great narrator can use their voice bring the narrative to life in a way that the...