Start by marking “The Ghost Junkies” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Junkies

The Ghost Junkies

Melissa Lowery is failing physics, shunned by the cheerleading squad, and crushing on her best friend, Aaron, who has an annoyingly beautiful girlfriend. Oh yeah, and she sees the ghost of her dead father. Talk about screwed up.

Soon, a fellow ghost seer named Seth convinces Mel to test her abilities in a haunted cabin where he introduces her to a whole new world. Literally
Published September 12th 2021

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Junkies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Junkies

Start your review of The Ghost Junkies
Latisha’s Low-key Life
Sep 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to the author, Elizabeth Rekab, for providing an ebook for me to read & review. Following is my honest review.

The Ghost Junkies is a YA Paranormal Thriller. It basically tells the story of a town drowning in evil.

Short Synopsis

Melly’s father passed away, but she somehow sees him every year on her birthday & the 4th of July.

When he doesn't appear on her birthday she is hell-bent on finding out why. She knows of a tragedy rimmed with evil that happened many years ago in her town. Do
By Book and Bone
Sep 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I had a great time reading The Ghost Junkies. It's clear the author had as much fun writing it as I did reading it. If you're a fan of ya ghost stories, especially those set in the 90s, this might scratch that itch. Full on 'I'm not like other girls, I shop in Hot Topic', made me snort!

The concept of getting high from astral projection was something I've personally not seen before and it certainly lent itself to the genre. Instead of questioning why someone would just blindly follow along with o
Tracy  Taylor
Sep 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me for an honest review and I loved it.
As if Mel (Melissa) isn't Having a hard enough time with those awkward teen years and the fact she lost her dad when she was twelve, she also can see ghosts. She drifts apart from her friends and stars hanging out with others, like her, that see ghosts. They're not necessarily the right kind to be around and Mel's life and those around her are put in danger.
Her town has a local ghostly legend that she gets involved in and she needs
Denise
Sep 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Mel was a girl growing up in a town that had a history, the ghost story that was real, the horror that laid heavy on her town. She had 2 best friends and things were changing, none good. She started seeing ghosts and then her world started changing. Strange things were happening to her friends and people in her town. I don't want to give much more away, so you'll need to read the book to find out what happens beyond there.

I laughed, I got sad, and at one point I had tears, but it was a book I am
Ashlee Olson
Aug 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth J Rekab has absolutely done it again. This author is amazing in what she does. I highly recommend Ghost Junkies but also her other series and books as well!! You won’t regret giving this author a chance. I guarantee it.

This book took me two days to read, although it didn’t. I started it the 10th but by the time night came around I couldn’t continue on due to the creep factor and me being a huge chicken. This book was absolutely outstanding. It was written wonderfully and beautifully.
Leseana
Sep 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
SCREAMS IN I JUST READ A 5 STAR BOOK.
Basquetebol baloncesto perfeito GIF - Find on GIFER

This review may contain spoilers.

The Ghost Junkies by Elizaveth J. Rekab was my first time reading a YA horror novel and let me tell you it did not disappoint. The writing was vivid and descriptive, the plot was twisty and turny and the romance was so cute.

Mel is a teenager who is in love with her best friend, Aaron who is unfortunately dating one of the popular girls in their school, who doesn't like her. She is a seer, who sees her dad who died in a car cr
Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews)
Nov 12, 2020 marked it as tbr-most-anticipated  ·  review of another edition
This sound right up my ally!! I will be keeping an eye on this one!!! Adding it to most anticipated.
Katya
Despite the unfortunate title, The Ghost Junkies is a brief, quick-paced thriller of both the ghostly and the gory variety. After a somewhat slow start, the story picks up steam and builds towards a satisfying (although rather predictable) conclusion. This is more of a 3.5-star book for me, but I'm rounding down (rather than up) due to some issues, even though I did ultimately enjoy reading the book and I do recommend it.

After the initial 20 pages, I was all set to dislike the book - the first
Robin Ginther-Venneri
The Ghost Junkies:
A Young Adult Paranormal Thriller
by Elizabeth J. Rekab

Scream, Blockbuster Video and an ouija board
sure, do bring back memories.

An escape like no other. Can Mel discover the truth of her abilities before the ghosts claim her as their own? Melissa Lowery is failing physics, shunned by the cheerleading squad, and crushing on her best friend, Aaron, who has an annoyingly beautiful girlfriend. Oh yeah, and she sees the ghost of her dead father. Talk about screwed up.
Soon, a fellow g
Naedrax
Sep 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Since her father past away Mel has had the ability to see him on 4th of July & her birthday. But someone finds out her secret & suddenly her father is no longer appearing to her. Mel now reluctantly accepts the help of Seth to further understand her ability & find what happened to her dad. Mel is a bit of a misfit with few friends & with the start of a new school year those friendship start to strain & now strange things are happening around her town with people hurting themselves & each other. ...more
Violet Springs
Oct 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
"I am a freak among other freaks, feeling better than I've ever felt."

Mel is a normal teenager. She is failing her classes and crushing hard on her bestfriend who dating a cheerleader. She is normal in every way, except sometimes she gets visitations by her dead dad. Soon, Mel realises that she is not the only one, there are more of them. The exploration in the Veil seems harmless at first but holds darker secrets, Mel knows she has to uncovers those secrets, but at what costs.

The book set in 19
Angela - Chaotic Critique
Sep 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksirens
This book was a great little stroll down nostalgia lane - so many relatable references which took me back to high school and growing up in the 90’s. Yes, I’m old, don’t @ me.

I do think that this was written for people way younger than me, it’s probably aimed more towards teens, but I still really enjoyed this paranormal thriller. My only complaint was that the twist was super predictable and I saw it coming a mile off, but to be honest it didn’t really detract from the story or the fact that thi
emma
Sep 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Thank you BookSirens for providing me with this e-book quickly after the release for free in exchange for an honest review. Melissa (Mel) has the ability to see ghosts or at least her father on every memorial day since his death. Whilst navigating the complexities of high school Mel gets closer to Seth who can also see ghosts and convinces Mel to explore her power further. This book was written quite well and the characters were well developed and fleshed out so naturally. There were some twists ...more
Gina  Clabo
Sep 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.75 stars. First I would like to Thank ELIZABETH J. REKAB for allowing me to read her book. I would also like to Thank BookSiren.com for having a site that people like me can go to and read books, find new favorite authors and have every genre under the sun to choose from truely thank you. This book had some creepy vibes perfect for Oct. season. Mel who has seer gifts finds herself in a world where she could not tell if she was going crazy or just seeing ghost. I loved the story of her seeing h ...more
Debbie Eyre
Sep 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is freaking awesome! From the very very beginning, from the prologue I was hooked and felt chills and shivers like never before. Fast forward to 1997 and meeting our female mc Mel whose a bit of a loner who discovers she can see ghosts, just a normal day then in this town which seems to be so so dark and full of hate. It’s freaky and horror filled, sent chills down my spine on more then one occasion and the twists and turns left me simply stunned! Throw in some blasts from the past like VHS ...more
Marty Tool
Sep 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good YA ghost story about a group of 17 year olds. Mellie is on the fring in popularity at school, her long time best friend is leaving her for the cheerleader group and her best boy friend is slowly being sucked into the popular group with his new girlfriend making changes to how he looks and how much time he can have with his friends. Mellie is offered a new friendship with a boy she had known for a long time, but is odd in his behavior with his preppie friends. This new group has abilities th ...more
Sentinelle23
Sep 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
💜❤😱 Excellent YA/youth discovery !

1977, Jaxonville :

19-year-old Anderson Stevens has been messing around again.

Officer Tommy Michaelson visits the parent’s posh home.
He rings the doorbell : no answer...

He enters...

----------------

The mysterious story of the novel is set in 1997, in the same city, and chronicles the adventures of young Melissa Lowery and her best friend Aaron Craft.

Melissa is a very endearing young character who lives in a mundane world, but she has a gift that she carefully hide
Chey3995
Sep 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
Mel is a little odd, but that's just her personality. And the fact she can see her dead father. A lot is going on in her little town, and when weird things begin happening, the people she thinks she can trust may be pulling her in the wrong direction.

THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLE. The plot was so unique and gave way to an interesting and gripping story you can't put down. We have a girl who can see ghosts, and she meets others who can do the same, and they get high off them? Mel wasn't portrayed as th
Alison Rae
Sep 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
As an arc recipient to a new to me author, I wasn't sure what to expect of the book. The book started out a little slow, but as it picked up pace, I was drawn into the plot. I'm generally not a ghost stories person, but the characters and the mystery wove a spell and kept me interested to the end.

In a kind of Magicians type story, a girl is drawn into a "seers" group. As her normal life falls apart, her new friends give her a place where she feels a part of something again. Between the crazy gh
Ashley Marie Emerson
Sep 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Looking for a fun fast paced read with all the spooky vibes? Look no further!

This was such a fun book filled with fun 90s nostalgia and plenty of ghosts!

Trust me when I say you wont want to put it down!

Melissa gets more than she bargained for in her creepy town when she gets wrapped up into an old legend “The shadow Man” because she can see ghosts. Mel thought her ability to see her father was just that but soon discovers that she is more powerful than she imagined and can see many other ghosts
Risa

This was the perfect read for the spooky season!

I greatly enjoyed this story; there was just enough of a creep factor to give me the willies, but not so much that I felt the need to sleep with a light on, lol. There's also an underlying first love story that I loved, plus a heavy dose of teen angst mixed with the unknown of the supernatural.

I will say that as an almost 30-year-old woman, I don't think I'm quite
Donna
What a FANTASTIC, FUN, CREEPY book!! I’m loving this author’s work!!

This takes place in the 90’s and I love all of the 90’s references. The ghosts, scary and funny ones, are super cool. I love Paranormal Romance, and especially young adult! The mystery (kinda) is really interesting to see unfold.

This is very character driven, and really well rounded characters. The creepy atmosphere was fun. And I loved the era, with the music, movies, styles and more!!

If this is your kind of read, with its q
Symone
Sep 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to the author for an ARC of "The Ghost Junkies" in exchange for an honest review. What a ride! This book was so much fun, and so chilling at the same time! I adore ghost stories/paranormal fiction and this one had all my favorite elements: an intriguing plot, fantastic twists and turns, and even a love triangle.
I especially liked the fact that this book was based in the 90s. The nostalgia just added another touch of enjoyment to this read.
This book is absolutely perfect if you're
Linda Abbott
Sep 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for young adults teenagers!

Met Melissa or as her friends call her, Mel.

She is a teenager who discovered that she has a special gift, seeing ghost, in a town that has an evil spirit that is terrorizing it for decades. She gradually distance herself from her friends, including her best friend Aaron, after he started dating a cheerleader Jen. She has to figure out how to stop it before all heck breaks out.

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review volunt
Stefani
Sep 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Omg so I LOVED this. It was this nostalgic 90’s creepy paranormal thriller with Nokia cellphones and dialup internet and the main character does research at a LIBRARY with books, it’s fantastic.

There were ghosts and teens and it gets DARK and it’s so spooky and there’s some mystery about what’s going on and it’s in a small down where weird things happen and MURDERS. This was such a fun and scary good time. A big recommend from me for this Halloween season! I will now be jumpy and creeped out for
Sarah Cole
Sep 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! Strong female lead, doing awesome strong female lead stuff! Fast paced with fabulous dialogue! Loving the 90s references scattered throughout! The Ghost Junkies has a really good balance of YA fiction and horror without one overpowering the other. Could literally not put this down, loved it from start to finish! Well done on such an engaging book!!! Highly recommended!!!
I received an advance copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Beverly L
Chillingly delicious!

I thought I was getting a well written book on hauntings, but the author just drove me down nostalgia road and dropped me off in horror town, n the best way. I drop horror books in a heartbeat and refuse to read them but this book drew me in and wouldn't let me go. This is an excellent read and definitely spreads the timgles! I highly recommend this book!
Kimi
Sep 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a good ghost story!

I absolutely love anything scary or paranormal… this story did not disappoint. It was so easy to read the flow was great and once I started I couldn’t stop. I don’t want to spoil anything… but I’m happy that my guess was spot on about a certain character haha. Definitely recommend this.
claire martin
Sep 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
A real page turner, I loved it.
It has so much going on. It's not just about the paranormal but also teenage angst and cliques. I loved the pop culture references and wished there was more. I loved the way that the twist at the end was just sprung on you. This book definitely leaves you wanting more.
I'm looking forward to more adventures with Mel.
Eva Ilkova
Sep 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for providing me with an ARC for this book. Here is my honest review:

I was looking for a book to help me switch to my autumn mood. God, this was a long summer.

Right off the bat, this is meant for someone younger than me and mind you, I'm 25. Even though there's murder/suicide, which might be triggering, this is definitely for younger readers, maybe 17-18 year olds (the MC is in highschool). The MC is likeable, so are most of her surrounding friends. There's angst, evil(is

• Burden Falls
  • Algorithm
  • Alpha's Prize (Bad Boy Alphas, #3)
  • Alpha's Danger (Bad Boy Alphas, #2)
  • Alpha's Challenge (Bad Boy Alphas, #4)
  • The Hawthorne University Witch Series: The Complete Collection
  • Alpha's Temptation (Bad Boy Alphas, #1)
  • Three Sisters (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #3)
  • The Traitor (The Katori Chronicles #4)
  • Nanoswarm
  • Rise of the Phoenix (Guardians of the Fae Realms, #1)
  • Wolf's Soul (Guardians of the Fae Realms #2)
  • Demon King (Claimed by Lucifer, #1)
  • Edgewood
  • A Magical New York Christmas: A Novel
  • The Power of Us (Us Duology Book 1)
  • The Perseverance of Us (Us Duology Book 2)
Elizabeth "E.J." Rekab is the author of various Young Adult and New Adult titles including the paranormal thriller series, THE REAPER TRILOGY.

She loves all fiction from comedic to romantic, but gravitates towards fantasy, the supernatural, and science fiction. Her favorite thing to do is write chilling short stories and Young Adult paranormal thrillers with no shortage of her trademark wise-cracki