Start by marking “The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings” as Want to Read:
The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings

The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  6,568 Ratings  ·  633 Reviews
Novelist Amy Tan began her musings by asking how hope changes according to life's circumstances. "And what," she continues, "of the circumstances themselves: Do we believe they are simply a matter of fate? Or do we view them as the Chinese concept of luck, the Christian concept of God's will, the American concept of choice? And depending on what we believe, how can we then ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 549 pages
Published December 15th 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 1991)

Jeana
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book is like sitting down to lunch with someone you hardly know and making a new friend. I happen to love Amy Tan's novels. I also like to read about writers and how they got their breaks. This memior/musings/essay book held a lot of the magic that is found in Joy Luck Club/Kitchen God's Wife with a lot of reality and the daily suffering of a writer.

I particularly enjoyed reading about Tan's mother (but of course it's the crazy/hard-lifed mothers that make Joy Luck and Kitchen God's
Lisa
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chinese-american, writers
Recommended to Lisa by: me
Shelves: memoirs
I really enjoyed this book. It was so different from the books I normally read. Amy Tan has led an interesting life! It was a little slow 3/4 of the way through, but I enjoyed reading about her life and relationship with her mother. Seeking the "American Dream" and the chinese culture of honoring and obeying your parents are so polar opposite. It's understandable that first generation kids grow up very confused.
Clark Carlton
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Tan is one of the finest American writers we have. I am making it a point not to call her one of our finest women writers or Chinese-American writers or a writer of color, an issue which is explored in this memoir. This book may be a special taste -- you might need to be someone who loves her work and is interested in writing to fully appreciate it. Amy tells her stories with certainty and elegance and never overstates anything. I listened to this book which was all the better for having the ...more
Eileen
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
I highly recommend this book to all writers as well as those interested in the “evolution” of a writer. I truly enjoyed Amy Tan’s honest and insightful account of her “journey,” told through a series of essays and autobiographical sketches.

I especially appreciated Tan’s essay, “Required Reading and Other Dangerous Subjects,” in which she rejects the widespread belief that writers come in colors – and those colors do not mix and match. It is a biting critique of those who would dictate who is qu
Stephen Gallup
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the subtitle, I bought this book expecting it to be more of a memoir than it actually is. I think Amy Tan's main purpose in writing it was to set the record straight on a variety of topics, beginning with an inaccurate summary of her life that turned up in an edition of CliffsNotes. She does so in essays that directly address the points that need to be made, and also tosses in other writings that range from a college commencement address to an item she wrote for the newspaper when eight ...more
Sundurra
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just read it because my mother recommended it to me. This book is clearly written for the author's fans. Since I had no idea who she was, I found it quite self exalting.
The author describes her life and the events that inspired her novels, which were inspired by her mother and grandmother's struggles in China.
A recurring topic throughout the book is the minority issues of being a chinese american and how she has been influenced by both cultures. Another important aspect of the book has to do w
Caitlin
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I write stories because I have questions about life, not answers. I believe life is mysterious and not dissectable . . . . I can't paraphrase or give succinct morals about love and hope, pain and loss. I have to use a mental longhand, ponder and work it out in the form of a story that is revised again and again, twenty times, a hundred times, until it feels true. I write for very much the same reasons that I read: to startle my mind, to church my heart, to tingle my spine, to knock the blinders ...more
Kandice
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Tan's books, usually within days of release, and this was a great way to "get to know her better". You can guess at a lot of her personal life just by reading her books, with the exception of Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel, but it was still interesting to see just what was real and what was fiction.

There was a lot of repetetiveness, but that was to be expected. It says right on the description that these are mostly personal essays and speeches written over a period of year
Joshua Gross
This book started out well, but after awhile it became a little tiresome. This seems to be an almost random collection of essays written by Amy Tan for various reasons that get less and less interesting as I progressed. Some of them were really interesting, and I learned all kinds of things about Ms. Tan, but some of them were kind of similar to ones I'd already read, or were just long and not that interesting. Some of them were very very funny, though, and more than one were especially insightf ...more
Marnie
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have read a few of Amy Tan books, and I enjoy them immensely. I found this biography book by her, funny at times and enjoyable to read. Interesting to learn a bit how she comes up with the novels that she writes. And I certainly hope that she continues.
Sheila
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book – she writes a self-deprecating memoir. Her family history was very interesting.
Cynthia Sillitoe
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of essays is solid and intriguing.
Janet
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
What had started as subterfuge on my part grew into an epiphany. I began to so see how much I actually knew about my mother and myself. She was losing her mind, yes, but I was losing defenses built up and fortified from childhood. . . . It had been so simple to make my mother happy. All I had to do was say I appreciated her as my mother.
- Amy Tan, from The Opposite of Fate

Several years ago, when I read Joy Luck Club, I began to understand my own mother a little bit better and discovered how lon
Eva
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading her memoir and finding out that so much in her books was based on her life, I empathized with Tan even more. I especially loved the stories about her mother's dementia, as it shows the true connection between mother and daughter. The answer to "When will you be home?" is not a specific time and date, but "We're almost home, because we love you so so much and can't wait to see you."
Parts of the memoir were funny, parts were truly sad, but I also empathized with Tan's childhood (alt
Christina DiMinni
I would use Amy Tan's famous essay, "Fish Cheeks," from this book. I would have students read this essay prior to reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian because of the similar themes they have of the importance of family, where you come from, and cultural differences. Since "Fish Cheeks" is quite short, yet still very invoking, it would be a great introduction of Sherman Alexie's novel since it will get students thinking about these big, and often times difficult, ideas of how o ...more
Nicole
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tan fans, folks with a burgeoning interest in writing
Recommended to Nicole by: The Dusty Bookshelf, Lawrence, Kansas
This is less a memoir and more an exploration by Tan of her own (and others') writing. She discusses her reasons for writing and her inspirations. I now have three new books (Lolita, Jane Eyre, and Love Medicine) on the stack thanks to Tan's chapter, "My Love Affair with Vladimir Nabokov," on her favorite reads. Tan also examines one of the main themes that put her on the literary map: The relationship between mother and daughter. To some, this might get tiresome or even trivial. However, I foun ...more
Katey
"My mother believed in God's will for many years. It was if she had turned on a celestial faucet and goodness kept pouring out. She said it was faith that kept all these good things coming our way, only I thought she said 'fate,' because she couldn't pronounce that 'th' sound in 'faith.'
And later, I discovered that maybe it was fate all along, that faith was just an illusion that somehow you're in control. I found out the most *I* could have was hope, and with that I was not denying any possibil
Imas
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini lebih pas dibaca oleh orang yang sudah pernah membaca karya-karya Amy Tan. Aku sudah membaca 3 buku Amy, and love all of it. Karena buku ini adalah karya nonfiksi pertama Amy tentang perjalanan hidup yang membentuk dirinya sebagai manusia dan sebagai penulis. Bagaimana ia melepaskan diri dari masa lalu dan menggapai takdirnya sendiri. Buku yang ditulis Amy terinspirasi dari kehidupan Amy dan keluarganya, terutama ibu dan neneknya.

Membaca buku ini, seolah-olah mendengarkan Amy bercerita
Cheryl
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of the Library
Thoroughly enjoyed this interesting collection collection of memories from Amy Tan's life. I enjoyed what Ms. Tan shared and she is someone I probably would enjoy meeting. Because of the book, I'd go out of my way to hear her speak.

Rating and writing a review of a living person's memoir is difficult because it is too easy to make the leap into rating a life and that's certainly not the original purpose of Goodreads.
Michelle
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rgc
I read the Joy Luck Club many years ago and absolutely loved it, but have never read anything else from her. I wasn't expecting too much out of a non-fiction book, but for a autobiography/essay/speech/random writings I felt that this book read like a novel.
I loved seeing how her real life was intertwined into her novels, making memories into literature.
Khadijah
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've had this book for years and I only just got to it before 2016 ended.

It was sitting on the shelf with me thinking "I read enough Amy Tan, they're all similar books". Glad I finally read it. This one was definitely different. Maybe it's a good time to reread her books and see how I feel about them now.
Jimmy
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Read by Amy Tan herself, this cd has been thoroughly entertaining. Listening to Ms. Tan read the voice of her mother was worse the price of admission in itself. Many different themes in her life are discussed, including mother/daughter relationships, the writing life, crime, fans, health, and so on.
Hannah
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I think I may have found a new favourite author to influence my reading choices over the next few months. Refreshingly honest and beautifully written. I feel like I've been listening to the reminiscing of an old friend.
Kathy Chung
reviewed at :Mama Kucing Meow :The Opposite of Fate : A Book of Musing By Amy Tan

an interesting book. It's nice to know where she got her inspirations
Kaye
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most stunning memoirs I've ever read. The pieces aren't written as though intended to be a cohesive book, but true to her own form, Amy Tan weaves each selection to let you see the life behind her stories.
Claire
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and insightful and full of charm. Loved it.
Rebekah
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I really loved the essays in this book and her thoughts on writing. I am also now irrationally terrified of Lyme disease.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I actually found this easier to read and more enjoyable than her novels, which are good but sometimes drag a bit.
E.P.
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why is Amy Tan's writing so great? Tan is one of my very favorite contemporary writers, and so this was a question I kept posing to myself as I read this collection of autobiographical essays on topics varying from Tan's childhood to the time she was almost swept away in a flash flood while vacationing in Tahoe. Included are musings on life, fate, faith, ghosts, and creative inspiration. While the writings collected here vary in length and quality, they still retain that special Tan spark. So wh ...more
Shana
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author memoirs can be hit or miss, in my experience. Sometimes they can be a letdown because the author's description of their own experiences pales in comparison to their fiction, or maybe they don't live up to the image I had created around who they are as people. In Amy Tan's case, I felt like the memoir further reinforced the impression I had of her, and if anything, improved upon it. She has the anthropologist's ability to question much of what people take for granted about themselves, thei ...more
What is the meaning of the title: _The Opposite of Fate_? 1 5 Mar 04, 2013 07:37AM
The Rory Gilmore ...: The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan 8 78 Sep 30, 2012 05:18AM
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • The Song Reader
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
Amy Tan (Chinese: 譚恩美; pinyin: Tán Ēnměi; born February 19, 1952) is an American writer whose works explore mother-daughter relationships and what it means to grow up as a first generation Asian American. In 1993, Tan's adaptation of her most popular fiction work, The Joy Luck Club, became a commercially successful film.

She has written several other books, including The Kitchen God's Wife, The Hun
More about Amy Tan...

“Thanks to my mother, I was raised to have a morbid imagination. When I was a child, she often talked about death as warning, as an unavoidable matter of fact. Little Debbie's mom down the block might say, 'Honey, look both ways before crossing the street.' My mother's version: 'You don't look, you get smash flat like sand dab.' (Sand dabs were the cheap fish we bought live in the market, distinguished in my mind by their two eyes affixed on one side of their woebegone cartoon faces.)

The warnings grew worse, depending on the danger at hand. Sex education, for example, consisted of the following advice: 'Don't ever let boy kiss you. You do, you can't stop. Then you have baby. You put baby in garbage can. Police find you, put you in jail, then you life over, better just kill youself.”
55 likes