Start by marking “Laugh-eteria” as Want to Read:
Laugh-eteria

Laugh-eteria

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Karate Kids
One was a black belt. One was a brown. One had a loose belt; His pants fell down.
Silly, irreverent, and always clever, these poems showcase Douglas Florian’s talent for turning plain old language into outrageously entertaining verse. Page after page of witty wordplay and droll black-and-white drawings are guaranteed to knock the socks off devoted poetry fans an
Published April 1st 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

Ashley Schroeder
The style of laugh-eteria is unique. After reading this book I thought that this book had NO meaning to it whatsoever. I like when I’m bored and want something fun to read, then I would read this kind of book, but otherwise it is just childish. It should be read by elementary students not middle schoolers like me. The fact that there is no point to these poems blows my mind, because everything has to have a meaning to it whether you know the meaning or not. As far as I’m concerned, this book has ...more
Samantha
Nov 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
One poem out of this book is about a kid who is saying the school lunch is nasty. The food tastes bad and gross but the kid still thinks lunch is the best thing at school.

I liked this book, some poems were funny and good, but others were not so funny and really cheesy and dumb.

I would recommend this poetry book except its really cheesy on a lot of poems and I kind of got tired of reading the boring ones.
Kallie Krammes
I did not care for this book I think mainly because I am an adult and reading silly kids poems do not effect me the same way they would children. I think that they were meant to be funny and entertaining with the strange drawings to accompany them, but I did not find many of them funny and some of the were very cheesy. I am sure a child would like these those because they were relatable and an easy read.
Camille
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant poetry. Kids love this book.
Kate Sanders
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, poem
I really enjoyed this book because it made me laugh and I'm an adult. It is an easy read but to understand the underlying meaning in some of these poems it requires knowledge and experience that comes with time. The poems are about many different things, some realistic and some imaginary.
Dorothy Krombach
Douglas Florian uses humor and enthusiasm to entertain the readers of his poetry. His collection includes a variety of poems ranging from ones about school to poems about dinosaurs. I really like the poem named “Substitute Teacher”. I chose this poem because it is humorous and students can relate to it. Florian talks about a substitute that is scary looking, fat, animal-like, and creature-like in this poem. The ending is the best part when it says, “But if you think SHE’S a creature, Wait till ...more
Shannon Brasher
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, fun
Laugh-eteria is a book full of humorous poems and accompanying drawings that will have your students laughing from beginning to end. I enjoyed this book because most of the poems are short, written about something the children would be familiar with, and have a simple, yet challenging vocabulary which will help to expand young readers vocabulary. I think this book is a great book to use to introduce children to poems, get them interested in reading poetry that is not too hard to understand, and ...more
Stanislav242
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is a decent book which I picked for my Lit class. The jokes are somewhat corny and outdated, but they are still funny and who can resist funny? The subjects are tried and true, like monsters, sub teachers, lazy people and so on. There are some good memorable rhymes and some poems even feature alliteration. I think this book can appeal to both young and adult alike. While the frontpage cover pictures do look creepy with the mouths, the inside are simple black-and-white illustrations which he ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

In this entertaining poetry book, Douglas Florian pairs rhymes with simple black-and-white illustrations on subjects ranging from siblings, fishermen, April Fool's Day, homework, camels, the dangers of drinking ink, and much, much more.

With poems that are simple enough for beginning readers, and large drawings that would be great for coloring, LAUGH-ETERIA would be a fun gift for any creative child.

As an added bonus, some poems are a little gross and c
Jenna Arntz
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I think that students would really enjoy this humorous book of poetry. All of the poems are very random and funny. I also love the drawings that go along with the poems. This would be a great book to have in the classroom for the students to read in their free time. In addition, it would be very useful in helping the students write their own poetry pieces.
Rose Goodwin
This has a lot of humorous poetry. I really like "Brush Rush." This book would be good to use for predictability and learning new words. It also has made up words that are fun to read. "Food for Thought" is good for figures of speech. I think you should read it.
Janet Squires
Just for Fun!
Florian shares over a hundred humor-filled verses in a variety of forms and on a variety of subjects. Here's a poem that sums up both the spirit and intent.

Good Humor

The poems in this bookAre meant to humorous.

If they are not,Please laugh just to humor us
Ashley Hinton
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Laugh-eteria is a fun-filled book of a variety of poems for all ages, especially for children. There are a mixture of poems with simple, sketched illustrations between families, school, food, and much more.
Savannah Shields
This is great poetry book that also contains a lot of school aged childrens' works and advice to others about school through their neatly designed poems and drawings.
Nielson
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Poem: Sigh-clops (pg.135). Funny poem. It plays on the word cyclops as all of the lines end with a "clops". Many of the poems in this book are about monsters/aliens/ghouls etc.
Sierra Davis
This was fun and good book. I will definitely use it in my class one day. I loved it.
Emily Rosbottom
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I liked this collection of poetry more than the author's other collection Bing, Bang, Boing. Goofy poems engage students. Great for the end of the school day.
Audrey
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
Moster Meatballs - This poem is short and sweet. It is very cute and would be really fun to illustrate. This book of poems looks like a great one for the class.
Nicki
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read aloud poetry!
"shameless punnery"
Kristen Edge
Poem book with LOTS of poems! This is a good book to use during a poetry cycle. Give lots of examples of differnt characteristics of poetry.
Meredith
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very uneven. Some of the poems were delightful, but a lot of them were just not good. Like, I'm not sure why the editor even let them be included.
Rachel
I read "Downsize" in this book. It is has pen and ink drawings with each poem. This particular poem has the text follow the message, so the line starts out big and they get smaller and smaller.
Kaittykat
Sep 16, 2012
Leigh
Feb 16, 2014
Ariana
rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2014