Start by marking “Pando: A Living Wonder of Trees” as Want to Read:
Pando: A Living Wonder of Trees

Pando: A Living Wonder of Trees

Pando is an inspiring tribute to a Utah grove of quaking Aspen trees connected by their roots to form one of the world's oldest and largest living things.

Author Kate Allen Fox engages readers' senses to help convey the vastness of Pando, the challenges it faces, and how we all can be part of the solution. With lyrical poetry, Fox summarizes the science, action, and compas
Expected publication: August 1st 2021 by Capstone Editions

To ask other readers questions about Pando, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pando

Start your review of Pando: A Living Wonder of Trees
Donna Backshall
"All these trees are one being,
called by one name:
Pando.
In the old language of Latin
its name means I spread."

With some of the most exhilarating illustrations you can imagine, by Turine Tran, Pando: A Living Wonder of Trees asks us to care about the 40,000 aspens that comprise Pando in Utah, and its shrinking environment. Can we save Pando? And by saving Pando, can we perhaps save ourselves?

"Like trees linked by their roots
people, animals, and plants
are all connected.
We can make a world where we
Jeanie
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A beautiful illustrated book for children on the Aspen tree known as the Pando. I learned a few things myself and it is a reminder what a beautiful fragile world we live in. A great book to share with your children and then plan a trip to see living breathing Aspen trees. Interesting facts and beautifully displayed.

A Special thank you to Capstone Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Amy Turner
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
ARC kindly received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was beautiful. The illustrations were breathtaking, and the poetry was stunning. I really like how there were facts interspersed between the verses, however they took up very little space on each page, allowing the poem and the illustrations to (quite rightly) remain the focus.

There was a lot more information and a glossary at the back of the book, meaning this was an imaginative mix of a non-fiction book, poetry, an
This gorgeous picture book describes one of the 40 Wonders of America: Pando. Pando, amazingly enough, is an Aspen grove that started as a single seed and grew into 47,000 clones sharing a single root system. The poetic narrative is almost as beautiful as the sparkling illustrations. This is not only a book I want to purchase to add to my child's library, but one that will ride with us in our RV now that we will have to go see this amazing feat of nature for ourselves. This book will be instrume ...more
Theediscerning
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
A visually flawless look at one of the most remarkable instances of nature – thousands and thousands of aspens, all cloned from the one same seed millennia ago (it's so old, humans have had the wheel for not quite half its life). The text wishes us to experience the wonder of the thing, and also to worry about how it's come up against a brick wall called human 'progress', and faces an uncertain future. Now, I have no problem with the text being in poetic structure, for it slows the reader down, ...more
Sally
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
A beautiful celebration to the wonders of nature and specifically the Aspen ‘Pando’. I think this picture-book will inspire children from all around the world not just the US or Canada.

Told beautifully against a brightly illustrated background; lovely textured illustrations by Turine Tran. The beginning text (page 4) reads similarly to the end of the story (page 26), suggesting a cycle of life; an endless loop.

The use of information at the base of the spreads and in a different font, instead of
Laura Blankenship
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I love this book!

It’s educational AND inspirational, which is typically a hard line to walk. It was encouraging to readers, as it introduced how beautiful the Pondo is, and how important it is- but oh no! Pondo is shrinking! Why is it shrinking and how can we help? It was very well written. I loved the little fun facts at the end of each page.
The only thing that annoyed me was that even a group of TREES is assigned a gender 🙄 like... I understand biological sex of trees but assigning gende
Mortisha Cassavetes
Such a beautiful children's nonfiction picture book that discusses the Pando, a huge cluster of cloned trees are the interconnected at the roots which are not only the world's largest and oldest living things but were named as one of the 40 wonders of America. Breathtaking illustrations! I highly recommend this book to kids of all ages. Thanks so much to #netgalley for an early review copy. ...more
Naomi
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Forests are awe-inspiring, and this book channels that energy authentically. Did you know that Aspen groves could be entirely one organism? I didn't. SO SO cool. Will read with my kids, for sure.

Read advance copy ebook via NetGalley
Krissy