Start by marking “Point of Departure” as Want to Read:
Point of Departure

Point of Departure

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A classic 1967 memoir by one of the great journalists of the 20th century, Point of Departure collects James Cameron's eyewitness accounts of the atom bomb tests at Bikini atoll, the Chinese invasion of Tibet and the war in Korea, and vivid evocations of Mao Tse-Tung, Winston Churchill, and many others. Cameron, who was born in London in 1911, began his career in newspaper ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Granta UK (first published 1967)

Esdaile
Sometimes James Cameron annoys me in his writing. I remember him quite well as a child (he and his wife were friends of my parents) and he was a likeable somewhat dogmatic leftwing cove but a gentleman and with a genuine passion for doing and saying what he believed to be right, a quality which he shared with the late Christopher Hitchens. I much prefer this generation of journalists and reporters, often wrong headed maybe but always trying to do the right thing, caring for the truth more than f ...more
Tommy
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice look at the "golden-age" of journalism when correspondents hopped around the globe to exotic places, drank in bars with interesting characters, and formed the opinions of masses back home. I like how he took this role seriously and was more interested on reporting what he believed morally correct instead of insisting on portraying both sides of everything as if they hold equal ground. This is precisely why the press is irrelevant today. People don't want to have to go fact-ch ...more
Martin
Aug 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
James Cameron, who died in 1985, was one of the best British foreign correspondents.
My favorite story about him is that he used to insert the phrase "...and a mad bugler rode past on a white horse..." somewhere low down in his copy before filing (usually by telex in those days), hoping that one day a sub-editor back home would miss it and allow it into the newspaper. To his regret, they always caught it.
Chiefdonkey Bradey
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A humane witness to the sly wickedness of the world
Clive Lillie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
My review is affected by my mistake at believing this was a sequence of interviews with important people of the 20th century.

It was largely an autobiography which occasionally veered into his experiences in various war zones and important times of change. Korea seems to be a focus.

This said, I found his experiences, when referred to, fascinating. Yet I would have preferred a lot more information from those meetings.
Sitatunga
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biog
This was the book my English teacher Ferdie Keon - (who could forget him?) - lent me in order to inspire me to write .... well, it hasn't worked so far (bado kidogo) but the book is still on my shelf (my own copy, I hasten to add!). The description of the detonation at Bikini Atoll is famous; it really hit home (no pun intended) at the time ... also the description of Tabora as the rock-bottom fundament of the world.
P. W. Lapwing
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although written it what may now seem an old fashioned style, the book recounts a full and fascinating life. Given the current situation in Korea, the author's account of his first hand experiences in the Korean War are particularly illuminating.
Steve
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mid 4. This is a perfect illustration of incise, truthful, war reporting which reveals Cameron to have been one of the most distinctive voices within the ranks of international correspondents at the height of the war in Indo-China. First-rate.
Rob Bailey
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
At times densely written, but it's an absorbing account of the life of a journalist who had a front row seat for many of the landmark moments of the 20th century. Highlights are his accounts of Korea, the atom bomb tests at Bikini Atoll and Vietnam.
John
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Spectacularly insightful. Witty and self-deprecating, by far the best autobiography I have ever read.
Ridley
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I don't know many journalists who care to write this well today.
Pippa
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: journalism
Some very important, and very well written reporting here, from some of the most crucial events of the 20th century.
Gordon Love
Douglas Smith
Aug 23, 2014
Sean MacGuffin
Apr 17, 2013

James Cameron was born in London in 1911. After leaving school he worked as an office boy for the Weekly News. He worked for newspapers in Dundee and Glasgow before joining the Daily Express in 1940.

Cameron witnessed atom bomb tests in 1946. Shocked by what he saw he became
More about James Cameron...