Start by marking “Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers” as Want to Read:
Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers

Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers

Minnesota author and dog musher Gary Paulsen reflects on the growth of his sled dogs as he and his animals discover the world around them.
Published January 12th 1998 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

Start your review of Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers
Josiah
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dog annoys me a lot of the time. She's a small, snarly breed (yorkiepoo) who attacks members of our family without warning or provocation. When she's perched on a high piece of furniture (especially a bed), she feels big enough to challenge us and often does so, staring us down if we enter the room, daring us to come within snapping distance. She's obsessively possessive of cough drops and chocolate, hoarding those little bits of poison in her makeshift lairs and assaulting anyone who unwitti ...more
Dniemuth04
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a good story on a team of sled dogs that race in the Iditarod Trial. On this team is a vast array of smart dogs all lead by an alpha female named Cookie. She has been leading the team for many years and provides great young puppies that are bred to be leaders. Cookie is very valuable and has saved Paulsen’s life on several separate occasions. The skilled litter that Cookie produces plays a vital role in how the other sled team members can train the young pups. The pups are wild an ...more
Charlie Choi
The novel Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers by Gary Paulsen is about the journey from Canada to Alaska that Gary and his dogs were part of. Cookie who is the mother of these dogs and the oldest one that has been through all the journeys has a special bond with her owner. However, she is very old and the owner wants to go to the last trip with her. In this last trip, it is like a nonstop action and embraces that bond between human and animals. I would recommend this novel to anyone who values the ...more
Sj713
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

I loved winterdance, I read it quite some time ago but it was one of those books you don't expect to love but do. When I saw Paulsen had written another I downloaded it but it's taken a while to get round to reading it! When I did, I couldn't put it down and I've read it in two days flat. Thus is the dogs story, how they are born and grow up as part of this amazing family and in particular Paulsen's relationship with cookie his number one dog. If you love dogs you will love this and I w
Liz
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last chapter of this book tore my heart out much the way that the movie Denali did. Dogs are better than people and this book is a perfect tribute.
Jake Handrich
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response: I liked the book Puppies, Dogs and Blue Northerners because it was a book about the outdoors. It had many different adventures in it from Canada to Alaska. The guy raised and raced dogs at his house in Canada. He had one favorite dog that had been through everything with him. Her name was Cookie. Cookie was the lead dog that has been through the races and all the training with the young pups.

Plot: The plot of the story was when Cookie, “the main female dog” had her puppies. S
Nasir Lomax
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The summary of Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers a man named Gary Paulsen has a sled dog named Cookie that has had five amazing litters. Never less that eight and twice she has had 12 but altogether over 40 puppies. During the time of the story, Cookie has had her last a best litter of puppies. If you read you will learn about the many different adventures and an unbreakable bond between a man and his dogs. Throughout the story, you will learn about Cookie and her litters Iditarod racing in the ...more
Joey
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought "Puppies Dogs and Blue Northers was a really good book. I don't normally like to read books, but this one wasn't bad for me. This book was interesting because of all the events that took place. It was cool to learn more about sled dogs.

There was a lot of snow there and you had to get from place to place somehow. Gary didn't like to use snowmobiles, so he had a team of sled dogs. They can get going pretty fast if you don't have a lot of weight on the sled. He thought using his sled dogs
Karen
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story! Paulsen is at his best when writing about his dogs. The only drawback to this book is that it's so short. Puppies are so much fun and Paulsen's kennel does sound friendlier than most. Though I don't know how friendly it is to let 36 puppies in the house to wake up his son and wife! If you enjoy this one, find a copy of Winterdance. You'll enjoy it even more!
Lauryn Kavanagh-Coombes
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet and very touching; this book is a wonderful tribute to Gary's star lead dog Cookie, documenting their relationship and their life together as a sled team in Minnesota. At 67 pages long, this was a quick read in an afternoon, and quite frankly gave me a good cheering up. Well worth a read :)
Colette
This was a short read that went along very well with Woodsong. Cookie, the lead dog is featured in both books. This seems to be a more reflective and mature story that would probably appeal to adults more than children.
MrsMJ
Paulsen is a great story teller. His descriptions of the dogs in his books really brings out their unique characters & personalities. He brings together the joy, adventure, love, and sorrow that occur in life when we share our lives with dogs. I always laugh and cry when I read his stories. They’re always very memorable.

I like reading Paulsen’s nonfiction stories, such as this one, because he’s had a lot of interesting wilderness adventures that the average person doesn’t get to experience.

I rec
Mavis
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is by Gary Paulsen, it’s called” Puppies, dogs, and blue northerns, this story is very inspirational and heartwarming
This book is about the author, he going to observe the sled dog, he discover his dog, the dog environment around them and the dogs talk, when he discover this , he like going to a new world
Donna Leach
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Gary and Cookie in Winterdance and felt like I rode with them during the Iditarod and laughed until I cried at their thrilling adventures. I'm glad I had the chance to say goodbye to Cookie in this book. She has a special place in my heart. God used her story in Winterdance to begin a beautiful healing in my heart. Thank you Cookie and Gary for sharing your stories with me.
Paul Sain
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sled dogs are an interesting idea to me. Racing using dogs and creating a bond stronger than you could normally with a canine sounds appealing. There were some moments in the book that made me smile, and some that made me rather emotional. Especially the very end. I won't spoil anything, but it's truly something that made me feel.
Nancy
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love Gary Paulsens animal books.
His love for them pours out onto the pages.
I laugh out loud and sob along with him.
also, lovely pictures in this book.

- I started reading his books when my sons were young (my boys loved his Hatchet and Tucket series), and I continue to enjoy his books.
Ciera
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short story “Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers” which is by Gary Paulson. It is a book is talking about dogs. It is talking about the leader dog and some interesting story about the dogs with the author.
Barb Keltner
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book made even better by being an audiobook read by author Gary Paulsen. I could hear his chuckle as he read the funny parts and his getting choked up during a sad part. He LOVES his dogs, and it sure shines through in this book!
Ollie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this because Blair Braverman recommended it, and am very glad I did. An affecting, transporting, and frequently funny series of episodes in the author’s relationship with his lead sled dog and her last litter of puppies.
Damian
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is called Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northerns. I like the ongoing action of this book. It is mainly about this sled racer, Gary Paulsen. The book talks about the adventures of him and his dogs.
Candice Trimm
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Gary Pualsen and he is my "go to" author to get kids reading and for them to enjoy reading. First chapter is about dogs mating, so beware when you recommend it. If you know Gary you know how much he loves dogs even more than poeple. This is a quick and easy read.
Brian
I absolutely love Gary Paulsen's memoirs. I feel like I know Cookie personally after reading this and Guts. Those with dogs certainly understand the connection they have with us, and he captures that relationship perfectly. This was a beautiful tribute to Cookie.
Thomas
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was not that good. I've read better.
Amber Lee
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic read

Great storytelling. Vivid and lovely. I wish it were an audiobook. If you like dog sled tales as I do, you will enjoy this one.
Ana
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an astounding breath of fresh air.
Caitrin
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought I wouldn’t cry. Hoped I wouldn’t cry.

Still blinking away tears for Cookie.

Such a beautiful ode to a sport, a species, and a lifestyle.
Valerie Kertscher
LOVED IT!!

Wonderful!
I am a dog lover, and this is a very well-written book! I really enjoyed it. Very descriptive
Great read.
Nelson
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was very detailed about the setting. I feel that the author could’ve taken more time explaining the childhood of the puppies. The book moved on too fast.
Lorelei Michaud
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
i loved this book it was grate
Asha Ashby
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gary and dogs- an unbeatable combination

I love reading Paulson's books about his life with his animals.
I see the personalities in my pups too.
Great stuff!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers 1 3 Jun 14, 2013 10:09PM

• Marley: A Dog Like No Other: A Special Adaptation for Young Readers
  • The Good Dog
  • Red Dog
  • Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
  • A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray (Scholastic Gold)
  • Thunder from the Sea
  • A Cat's Life: Dulcy's Story
  • You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P!
  • Whatshisface
  • Pictures of Hollis Woods
  • Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes
  • Chasing Fireflies
  • Rick
  • The Secret Tree
  • The Unteachables
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • The Shaolin Workout: 28 Days to Transforming Your Body and Soul the Warrior's Way
  • Books for Kids: LOL! (Funny Jokes for Kids): 101 Jokes for Kids - Games & Puzzles - Kids Jokes - Jokes for Children
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve