Start by marking “Tripoint (The Company Wars, #6)” as Want to Read:
Tripoint (The Company Wars, #6)

Tripoint (The Company Wars #6)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,083 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Merchanter Cargo Chief Marie Hawkins has never forgiven the crime, nor sought justice. Only vengeance. And, for 23 years, the Hawkins's clan ship, Sprite, has lived with her vendetta - and with her son, Tom, the boy sired in the violent assault.

Marie's attacker, Austin Bowe, is captain of the Corinthian. When both ships dock at Mariner Station, Marie vanishes and Tom searc

Published August 1st 1995 by Aspect (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Tripoint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tripoint

Jason
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
C. J. Cherryh is a frustrating writer. I'm admitting it. I'm saying it out loud. She frustrates me. I've read a ton of her books, and I still have more on my to-read shelf, and I will read them. I will read all of them, every one. But she frustrates me. She is receiving the Damon Knight Grandmaster Award for Lifetime Achievement later this year, and when I found out, I was so glad, because she well deserves it. In fact, it's about time. What the hell took them so long? But dammit, there's a reas ...more
Julie
Still working my way through all of C.J. Cherryh's merchanter novels! Merchanter's Luck remains my favourite, but I liked Tripoint much, much better than Rimrunners. Right out of the gate, I was struck by its gutsy storyline that I've never seen properly explored before: a spacer named Marie Hawkins was sexually assaulted 20 years ago, thus creating a feud between her ship and that of her attacker's, and additionally leaving her with a son that she never wanted.

Tom Bowe-Hawkins has been branded
Dave Wallace
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bravo! The antithesis of space opera, and yet there is opera, just enough. How did I not discover Cherryh until recently? A full realized job of SF world building but this is about the people. Try hard to follow the rapid fire dialogue somewhat reminiscent of hard-boiled detective fiction, as our author follows a new protagonist in the detailed Union/Merchant universe. It’s rare that you find a series where the individual books are complete stories and with new characters; nobody takes that risk ...more
Casey
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1980s
Tripoint is heavy with family dynamics. The focus is on a mother and son, Marie Hawkins and Thomas Bowe-Hawkins. Years ago, Marie was raped by Austin Bowe, and she bore his son, Tom. There was never a clear reason as to why Marie decided to have the child. She never acted much like a mother, abandoning Tom and shunning motherly love to focus on her reckless, unhealthy obsession of getting revenge on Austin.

Tom carries the burden of being unwanted as well as being an outcast on his family's ship,
Jim Mcclanahan
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The sixth in the seven book series of Company Wars tales. Since they are not a conjoined series, it can be read as a stand-alone. However, there are references to characters and history with which it would be helpful to be familiar. Not a major drawback, though for someone coming to this book as a first read.

Essentially it's a story about a twenty year old vendetta harbored by a ship's cargo officer, Marie Hawkins, against her rape perpetrator, the captain of a rival merchant space ship. Her so
prcardi
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Storyline: 2/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing Style: 2/5
World: 2/5

One doesn't have to read far to get to the "Oh no, not again" moment. Yes, yes we are going to focus on psychologically damaged personalities. Yes, yes again they are going to make life in space even more difficult. And yes, yes again the theme is going to be the monotony and repetition of life in space.

For good or ill (mostly the latter) the characters were developed as if Freudian case studies. I wasn't that excited about the idea, but
Ted Cooper

Tripoint #6
Finity's End #7
Willeyeoney
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, just ended too soon.
Stephen Antczak
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Readable, but difficult to get into the characters because they are mostly not very sympathetic or likable.
Nathan Trachta
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
With Ms. Cherryh coming out with a new book (Betrayer) I decided it was time to return to some of her earlier books to set my mood right. Because her Alliance/Union series has been a favorite of mine and I haven’t read Tripoint in awhile it became the book to set me in the mood.

Tripoint follows a theme that’s common for many of Ms. Cherryh’s books, looking at people who aren’t accepted within their environment and finding acceptance in another. In Tripoint Thomas Bowe-Hawkins is the child of rap
Mely
2017 reread.
Wesley
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
'Tripoint' is the 6th novel in CJ Cherryh's 'Company Wars' series. Tom Bowe-Hawkins is the son of his ship's cargo chief and his conception was marred by accusations of sexual assault. Raised by an angry and emotionally scarred mother named Marie, Tom is the outcast on a tightly-knit Family merchanter vessel, 'Sprite.' When 'Sprite' docks at Viking station, it's discovered that 'Corinthian', the ship captained by Marie's accused rapist, is also in dock and Marie is out for revenge. When Tom atte ...more
William
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good; a young, conflicted protagonist "Tom" grows up and finds himself and love from others. The technology and situations are great, the issue and anger of rape of his mother, thus producing him is well-handled and sympathetic. Again, Cherryh draws her characters well, their doubts and needs and strengths.

I enjoy this book just as much as Rimrunners, but I still think Merchanter's Luck is her finest so far. (I am reading the Alliance-Union books in order of publication)

retroj
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I was not enjoying this book very much up to about the halfway point — too much melodrama, and I wanted to whap the main character upside the head for being a dumbass — but then the story took a turn that I hadn't expected, and it started getting a lot more interesting, and kept on getting more interesting right through to the end. The hard sci-fi elements in this series have gotten steadily better with each book since Downbelow Station, and we're getting a lot more insight into what it is like ...more
B. Lee
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It appears the Alliance series is actually called The Company Wars. Sorry, my bad. Another good story which takes me on an escapist run.
Gary Baker
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Another book from my 'Dear Lord, I really must read that one of these years' shelf.

It's a space opera. And by that I mean it has people in spaceships whizzing about through hyper-space in a far flung future. Spaceships aside, it's more about how parents can really screw up their kids by using them as a free sherpa for all their personal baggage.

It's a good read, excellent characters and very entertaining. I really enjoy her style and liked ninety-five percent of the plot. Though I think it's pro
Louiz
Jun 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
This story of a merchanter boy who is scapegoated by his Family as he is the result of his mother having been raped. Once he is inadvertently kidnapped by his father's ship, he discovers that that is not the way he has to be.

CJ Cherryh also provides a lot more detail about jump, and how it affects people, although I think it is one of the few books where a navigator actually appears.

Having been reading the books in order, I can see that this is also showing the policy of chasing the Mazianni sup
Kate
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read at first- it deals with very complex emotions and motivations, and the subject matter is pretty dark. However, it's a really good psychological study, and a really high-quality piece of science fiction. I actually think it might be better as an audiobook- there are a lot of unusual word uses and sentence structures that read beautifully out loud but can be hard to parse visually. Will definitely be reading more by Cherryh!
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Worth reading if you want to see what's happening in certain populations after Downbelow Station, and to see brief cameos by major characters from that book.
Murray Writtle
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great characterization and the ultimate secret to how the Alliance survived their apparent loss of the initial war with the nascent Union. The conclusion is a dangling thread Cherryh has yet to develop on.
Ken McDouall
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cherryh again proves her talent for creating compelling characters. No spectacular action or plotting, but the relationships between her characters build the tension in this story of conflicting perspectives on a vendetta between two merchant ship officers.
Isblue
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
Cherryh is a superb world-builder. I wish I remembered more about this particular book. I need to re-read this series.
Jo Rhett
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just finished re-reading this tonight. Oy! This is C.J. Cherryh at her very best. It's fast, it's intense, it's immediate and very personal.
James Gillett
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Far and away my favorite book in the merchanter series.

Possibly my favorite sci-fi book of all time.
'stina
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another of the Cherryh books that I read in January 2007. Very good, indeed. I like how she examines different parts of the universe she's created, so as to make it much more complete.
Bronwen
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
totally dysfunctional families in space.
Thomas
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tripoint is character-driven science fiction at its best. Shifting points of view allow characters to mull over their own motives and their often mistaken analyses of the motives of others.
Julie
Dec 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Recommended to Julie by: D's fault for getting me into C.J. Cherryh
I don't remember much more of this than the cover. I remember getting it out of the library and reading it amidst my C.J. Cherryh kick.
  • Harm's Way
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Cat, #3)
  • Homecoming: Harmony (Homecoming Saga, #1-3)
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • Children No More (Jon & Lobo, #4)
  • Dreamships
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2010
  • The Tourmaline (Princess of Roumania, #2)
  • The Planet Pirates (Planet Pirates #1-3)
  • Classic Celtic Fairy Tales
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • Emerald House Rising
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • The Stars Asunder: A New Novel of the Mageworlds
  • Strange Attractors (Chaos Chronicles, #2)
  • A Plague of Angels (Plague of Angels, #1)
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

The Company Wars (7 books)
  • Downbelow Station (The Company Wars #1)
  • Merchanter's Luck (The Company Wars, #2)
  • Rimrunners (The Company Wars, #3)
  • Heavy Time (The Company Wars, #4)
  • Hellburner (The Company Wars, #5)
  • Finity's End (The Company Wars, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)