Start by marking “A Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook” as Want to Read:
A Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook

A Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook

Here's everything you need to successfully improve your riding, novice or veteran, cruiser to sportbike rider. This book contains the very foundation skills for any rider looking for more confidence when cornering a motorcycle. Notes and comments by Eddie Lawson. Foreword by Wayne Rainey.
Published May 12th 1997 by Code Break (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Twist of the Wrist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Twist of the Wrist

Andrew Karnowski
I was recommended this book by a friend before I started to ride motorcycles. He had said reading it changed the way he rode. When I bought my first bike, I decided to read it in hopes of having a good starting point for the base of knowledge. A lot of what it said came across as common sense and directed at racing more so then your average rider. I did find value in the writing, however I didn't see it as a game changer like my friend.
Kevin Kuruc
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
For non-racers this book does have some helpful tips. The points about where to look, what countersteering is, and how to brake were all useful. Lots of not so useful material however, too.

Probably excellent if you are a racer.
Shane
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some theory to practice

Quite a few insights for any rider. Like anything, the theory must be followed through with practice. Helped me as a road rider to consider road positioning, speed and braking.
Tom Menke
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've known Keith a long time and this book is spot on
David
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two pieces of advice for anybody desiring to ride a motorcycle: take a Motorcycle Safety course and read this book.

I acquired this book shortly after taking the Motorcycle Safety Program course in Pennsylvania. I wasn't interested in road racing or heading out to a track. I was looking for things that might be useful in gaining better control over my machine. What I found was a witty, entertaining and very helpful book. It has been thirty years since I read it, but that has not diminished the im
Ryan
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: motorcycle riders.
Having begun riding motorcycles in the Fall of 2007, I found this book to be most helpful. I had taken a safety class, so I was familiar with many of the concepts, but it's always nice to read a different perspective. The crux of the book is this: since the 1960's, the technology and equipment for motorcycles have improved tremendously: tires, brakes, engines, etc. perform at a much higher level. But track times have only increased by less than five percent. Obviously, the reason is the mentalit ...more
Naomi
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
My uncle who taught me to ride told me I had to read this book. I can see why that is too. I may not be into racing, that's why I chose to ride a dual sport instead (plus the roads in my town). Anyways, this book teaches you how to fall when it happens (because everyone is going to fall at one point or another). It teaches you about counter-steering, braking, and so much more. The only thing I wish is that I read this before my motorcycle class. All in all, a good read for beginning riders.

The o
Mike
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was a general introduction to the science and practice of race riding. Primarily forced on how attention is split and the impact of those choices, most of this is basic but necessary, though likely in itself not sufficient.

I didn't get as much out of this Volume 1 book as I did from the Vol 2 video. It may be the medium, or may be the content. Next step is to read Vol 2 and see if the content is what resonated.

Rahmat Romadon
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Buku ini memaparkan teknik-teknik riding serta tips-tips racing di jalan raya dan race track - khusus untuk sport bike dan motor balap. Wajib punya bwt yg gila balap motor dan safety riding di jalan raya.
Nicholas Moryl
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent into to motorcycle racing (not general riding skills), albeit dated. Doesn't have much technical detail and very high level as compared to, e.g., "Going Faster" (for car racing).
Keith
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Smart guy, weird writing style.
Uldis Sturms
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really good book learned an awful lot, great explanation on road cambers, increasing and decreasing radius apex, bankings.
Ede
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
preng!
James
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Vol II is better and includes everything in this edition.
Hunter
  • Engineering: A Very Short Introduction
  • Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach
  • Dreaming Of Jupiter
  • MATLAB Programming for Engineers
  • Getting Started with MATLAB 7: A Quick Introduction for Scientists and Engineers
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • Two Wheels Through Terror: Diary of a South American Motorcycle Odyssey
  • Riding with Rilke: Reflections on Motorcycles and Books
  • The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • Practical Mental Magic
  • Ja maar wat als alles lukt? De tien regels voor een ja-maar-vrij-leven

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Don't Badmouth Yourself Many” 0 likes
“If a person is riding at all he is already doing more right than wrong. The job is to add to those correct actions and drop the incorrect. Do you do this? You” 0 likes