Start by marking “A Twist of the Wrist: Quick Flavorful Meals with Ingredients from Jars, Cans, Bags, and Boxes” as Want to Read:

2.9  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Award-winning chef Nancy Silverton has conquered the gourmet world as the original dessert chef at Spago and founder of the celebrated La Brea Bakery. Her recipes are legendary, innovative, and delicious. However, in the last few years, there has been a great shift in cooking toward the Home Meal Replacement (HMR), better known as “takeout.” It’s impossible to spend hours ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about A Twist of the Wrist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Twist of the Wrist

Emily
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
Way too many anchovy fillets for my taste. I don't even know where to get those in my town. It may be one of those quick ingredients from a jar mentioned in the subtitle but it's not one I would use--particularly not in that many recipes. Many of the other ingredients throughout are similarly difficult to locate. Not one I'll keep.
Susan
Nov 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
i checked this book out from the library instead of buying it. i felt like it was a bit condescending as if we all were heathens who couldn't/wouldn't cook the right way, but she felt challenged to give us recipes that she wouldn't eat herself that all came from a can or jar. why couldn't it be a collection of recipes that she actually uses that were easy and fast? i guess because she doesn't eat that way? then what/how does she eat? i'm more curious about that. to be fair, the recipes from othe ...more
Liz
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not nearly slapdash enough to make it worthwhile -- these recipes run perilously close to actual cooking for my tastes -- but it did include a few useful ideas. One was to use a microplane grater when you need crushed garlic. It's a lot easier to clean than a garlic crusher (although you pretty much have to give up on the final nub that you're holding onto, unless there's some trick I haven't figured out) and the results are less fibrous.

Anyway, thanks for that.
Sally
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Better cooks than me
Recommended to Sally by: Bas Bleu magazine
Shelves: cookbooks
I read a review of this book and thought it would make a nice addition to my collection. The premise is to create flavorful recipes using on-hand items in your pantry. So far so good, however, I don't keep farro, fennel pollen, passato, chestnut honey, ghee, ventresca, etc. as staples in my Mother Hubbard Cupboard.
Kelley
Dec 11, 2007 rated it liked it
I'm down with the idea of trying to combine pantry items with fresh items, however, it's rather gourmet and as much as I'd like to admit I'm gourmet, it's a little over the top, even for me. Lots of capers, anchovies, eggplant paste. I guess, those 3 flavors especially, I'm not on board with. But I'm determined to mark at least a few and whip 'em up.
Anonymous
Jul 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not enough pictures to "see-taste" the food and the font of the text isn't appealing either. Maybe there could be some good recipes, but the layout of the book was so boring I didn't want to read through them.
Beka
May 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Though I liked her idea of upscale food that utilizes pantry ingredients, none of this stood out to me. And the book really needs MANY more pictures to capture attention.
Jenn
Mar 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cooking
Although the recipes promised to be easy and accessible, they were sadly pretentious and not particularly family friendly.
Katharine