Start by marking “How to Fake it in Hollywood” as Want to Read:
How to Fake it in Hollywood

How to Fake it in Hollywood

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  10,999 ratings  ·  2,551 reviews
A talented Hollywood starlet and a reclusive A-lister enter into a fake relationship . . . and discover that their feelings might be more than a PR stunt in this sexy debut for fans of Beach Read and The Unhoneymooners.

Grey Brooks is on a mission to keep her career afloat now that the end of her long-running teen soap has her (unsuccessfully) pounding the pavement again. W
Kindle Edition
Published June 14th 2022 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about How to Fake it in Hollywood, please sign up.
alexandra (✿◠‿◠) She is 27 going on 28 and he mentions they're 11 years apart (not sure if that makes him 38 or 39) …moreShe is 27 going on 28 and he mentions they're 11 years apart (not sure if that makes him 38 or 39) (less)
Anastasia Terendii
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  10,999 ratings  ·  2,551 reviews

Start your review of How to Fake it in Hollywood
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Sooo it seems this book has divided opinions but I actually really liked it. Fake dating is a favourite trope of mine and seeing it in a Hollywood setting seemed really believable to me so I completely bought into it. I think that’s why their chemistry did read so well for me. What I liked was that this book also tackled some of the tougher issues that can come with fame, and the grief the main male character struggles with. Overall this was a pleasant surprise for me!
Nilufer Ozmekik
After reading the blurb and being enchanted by this fantastic cover, I was so hopeful to read something tempting, entertaining with Hollywood criticism of fake relationship trope!

Instead of romance or sweet romcom, I got angsty drama that tore my heart apart!

One thing I have to emphasize: this book is not bad or average reading but after seeing the cover and reading that intriguing blurb, I was expecting something a little lighter! And romance part of the book heartbreakingly disappointed. Ther
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was *exactly* what I wanted it to be, and more. Don't get me wrong, the plot of the book was entertaining in and of itself, but this book was truly all about the push and pull and the give and take between Grey and Ethan and their relationship was just everythingggggg to me. The romance in this book gave me the same feelings that all of Emily Henry's romances give me and I just loved it SO. MUCH. It is also worth noting that the Palm Springs scene in this is quite possibly my my absolute fa ...more
Whitney Erwin
Feb 09, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one! Going into this, I knew it was a fake dating storyline between two actors so I thought it would be your normal rom-com. I was expecting light-hearted and easy breezy. This was a lot deeper than that, though. This book includes some hard and touchy subjects and the author handled them wonderfully. I enjoyed Grey and Ethan’s character and the development of both of them throughout the book. Overall, a really good, solid read!! Highly recommend!

Elena Armas
Feb 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2022
A PR-stunt and becomes so. much. more??? Check.
Characters that feel so real you root and hurt for them??? Check
A journey of self-growth??? Check.
Fun banter??? Check.
Behind-the-scenes gritty, not so glamorous Hollywood??? Check

Absolutely loved it??? DOUBLE CHECK.
Kaceey
Jun 24, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, audio
This book rested comfortably on my shelf for what seemed like a very long time.. For some un-explicable reason I wasn’t drawn to it. Maybe it was the cover that was a bit unappealing?🤷🏻‍♀️ But when the audio was available I figured I’d try that format to help me jump in.

Well…silly me, what an unexpected surprise this was. What was I waiting for!?🤦🏻‍♀️

A superb rom-com that delivered all the necessary ‘feels’ but so much more. Once again, our authors are exploring heavier topics normally avoided i
aly ☆彡
[3.75/5]

This was fun.

Not sure me being sick kinda makes the second half of the book feels draggy or my sick body is not comprehending anything well.

RTC
Anna
Jun 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guys. GUYS!!!! STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING AND GO READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

This was just SPECTACULAR!!!!!! I stayed up until 3 am devouring the whole thing!!!!!

Let me tell you about the plot quickly so I can go back to freaking out:

Grey Brooks has been a working actress since she was eight-years-old. However, almost a year after a successful run as the lead character of a teen soap called Poison Paradise, Grey has been frustratingly unemployed.

Ethan Atkins is a major Hollywood actor who lost everything -
Chelsea Humphrey
"What does the modern, sophisticated, sexually liberated woman pack for her very first overnight stay at her fake boyfriend's house?"

The cover is gorgeous, and initially what drew me into wanting to read this book, but I have to say there is so much substance in what, at first glance, appears to be a cursory rom com (and there is nothing wrong with those books, btw). As I'm slowly making my way through my backlist of NetGalley arcs, I saw two of my favorite narrators were attached to this projec
abigail ❥ ~semi-hiatus~
Thank you Random House Publishing for this arc!

What a debut! Character growth being the forefront—this was soo much more than just a romance. Tackling alcoholism to drown out grief, intrusive, diminishing, and insecure thoughts along the lines of always letting people down and being a disappointment. Grey and Ethan were a spark of instant connection. No insta love though, this was very much slow-burning with gripping sexual tension. A marvelous and moving piece of work from Wilder!

G
Maren’s Reads
May 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-galley
Grey Brooks, fresh off a staring role in a hit teenage soap opera, is struggling to make it to the next level. Ethan Atkins is reclusive A-lister looking to find his way back into civilized society. When there mutual publicist suggests a fake romance to set Hollywood abuzz, they reluctantly agree. Sparks flying, gossipers gossiping, and soon both Grey and Ethan are unsure where their fake relationship ends and a potential real one begins.

What I expected to be a rom-com, is actually not a com at
TJ ☾
Jan 21, 2022 rated it it was ok
2 stars 💫

"Previously, on Poison Paradise..."

🎞 tropes: actor/actress romance, fake dating, age gap, dilf (tw: alcoholism and grief)
🎞 the quality of the writing was good, but i think there was some missed potential w the characters. they didn't have much chemistry or tension imo
🎞 this would've been better if it was enemies to lovers, or friends to lovers, or if they had more awkward/funny/embarrassing interactions of idk, just something to spice them up. from their first meeting their dialogu
DeAnn
Jun 05, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2022, 2022
4 A-list romance stars - now available

I am definitely a fan of the fake dating trope and this time there’s a Hollywood spin. Two stars are trying to kick start their careers after a dry spell, so they agree to fake date for six months.

Grey Brooks has been acting since she was eight, with a long stint on a teen show. Her last relationship ended in disaster so she’s fine to set up a fake relationship with Ethan Atkins. She won’t let him know that she had a childhood crush on him.

Ethan is still re
Leonie
Jun 24, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3,5 stars)

"You know, the thirty-six questions that make strangers fall in love? It might be worth a shot."
"You´re not worried we´ll fall in love?"

This is a two POV book, told by the POV´s of Grey and Ethan. It´s written in third person perspective.

I really liked Grey´s fighter personality. She never bowed down to anyone and always questioned other people or called them out on their behaviour. I liked the tension between her and Ethan even tho it was more insta-lovish with both of them trying
susana ♡
This really wasn’t for me. I started this book with a very positive mindset because the tropes sounded amazing: a PR stunt, an age gap… it had all of the elements for me to like it. However, I found the relationship very toxic at so many levels.

To begin with, I think Ethan’s alcoholism rep wasn’t well done at all. I am not an expert about addictions, not even close, but I think it should have been addressed way earlier, and in a different way. Nora (his ex) was the only sensible one in this aspe
Debra
Jun 13, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Stars

Hollywood Starlet + Hunky Hollywood A lister = Sexy Drama

Grey Brooks is pounding the pavement and hoping to stay employed and reverent after her long running teen soap has ended. She's so desperate that she is willing to take part in her publicist’s scheme of dating a Hollywood recluse who could also use some publicity.

Ethan Atkins has been off the grid the last couple of years. He has been drowning his sorrows after his high-profile divorce and his best friend's death. If he wants to w
Corina
This novel was a surprise in many ways. 3.5 stars

I really enjoyed the writing. Good writing is hard to come by lately. And the couple and supporting cast was just wonderful. The couple had real chemistry and I loved it that they took their time to get to know each other, and didn't jump into bed at first sight.

If you love the fake-relationship trope it's a must read!!! But it's far from a fluffy light romance, it touches some heavy topics, and soon became much more emotional than expected. My h
Ava Wilder
Nov 03, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
idk i heard it's pretty good

edit: aaaahhh it's up on netgalley!!!

okay! hello! thank you for checking out HOW TO FAKE IT IN HOLLYWOOD! here are some notes about the content:

- as you can probably tell from the blurb, this book deals heavily with alcoholism/addiction and grief over the death of a loved one ((view spoiler)), both of which are experienced by a POV character.

- this book is ✨open door✨and
Nicole
Jan 14, 2022 rated it really liked it
This was so cute 🥰 I’m not a huge fan of romances but this one I really enjoyed. It wasn’t Hallmarky or over the top and I liked the writing style.

Grey Brooks is an actress trying to breathe life into her failing career. She accepts a deal made by her publicist to fake a relationship with another star, Ethan Atkins. He has been chewed up and spit out by Hollywood and life. Content to drown his sorrows in alcohol, all he wants is to be left alone. A rumored relationship with a cute actress may b
Mich
May 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok let's try this Hollywood Tabloid style.

𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝗔𝘁𝗸𝗶𝗻𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗚𝗿𝗲𝘆 𝗕𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀

Rumours of their relationship began when Brooks was spotted arriving at Atkins's residence. Soon, the couple made it red carpet official by attending one of Brooks's former 𝘗𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘦 co-star's movie premiere together. But despite withstanding the heat of the scandal of their leaked private life, the pair split after less than a year of dating.
       Now, months later, the pair seems to have rekindled their relationship
sil ♡ the book voyagers
How to Fake It in Hollywood was a RIIIIIDE. I couldn't stop reading it tbh! I enjoyed it a lot and it is messy, sad, and so very romantic. If you're into those themes, be sure to check it out when it releases soon.

When I finished this book, my heart felt so heavy omg? Like I couldn't breathe for better part of this novel. It's hard, yall. What Ethan goes through and his alcoholism is hard to read, because it feels very raw and real. Ava Wilder did an amazing job writing this book and I fully bel
rach⭑
4⭑

Tropes;
Age Gap - 11 years (28&39)
Fake Dating
Celebrity Romance
Third Person
Dual POV

here’s my lists of likes and dislikes with this book hehehe

Things I liked;
- heroine did not take any of the hero’s shit
- the author did a great job in portraying addiction and grief
- loved the relationship development from fake dating to real dating
- had a super sensual sex scene and they didn’t have sex, that’s how good it was🤭
- blended family dynamics with his kids and his ex wife & her new husband
- the

Roz
Aug 09, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 ⭐️
2.5🌶

I’m going to start by saying I’ve seen this book everywhere! Every time I scrolled on Bookstagram, I saw a post about it. They were all positive reviews, so I was confused because of all the mixed reviews on Goodreads (lower average rating). I didn’t read any Goodreads reviews before because I wanted to go into it somewhat blind so I could have my own reactions. If that makes any sense?

After reading the Goodreads synopsis, I was excited to read it. It does mention Ethan and his drinkin
Rozberry🍓
trigger warnings: depression, anxiety, loss/grief, addiction, recreational drug use.

Umm…well, that wasn’t what I thought it was going to be 🤔. Honestly, idk if this was totally categorized properly. Ok — Yes, a relationship develops as part of the story. However, more frequently the book doesn’t read like a romance imho. I guess why I’ve been so stuck on the review for so many days is because I’m so thrown by that. Along with the general tone being so much heavier than I anticipated.

It goes fr
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
4 stars <3

I enjoyed this one so much , and it’s a debut so I’m looking forward to more books from this aurhor! It was super cute and it has one of the tropes I love! Fake relationship , should I say more??

The chemistry between the characters were fantastic! I loved their connection, they started first with physical attraction and then it grows to something more intense and heartwarming!

It’s not so light though because it touches some heavy topics but apart from it I loved everything! It’s a gr
booksandzoe
fancasts: nina dobrev and a star is born era bradley cooper.

i had a lot of fun through the first half of this book, but i ultimately felt let down. i wanted more character depth especially into the FMC; the book at times attempts to toe the line between romance and womens fiction (a la emily henry style) by giving more space for the characters to deal with (and heal from) their backstories, but i wanted more from both, but especially Grey. ultimately, this was fun for a while but felt tedious to
Megan
Jul 04, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. How to Fake It in Hollywood is such a good summer contemporary romance book! A lot of the romance books I’ve been picking up lately have been cheesy and cringey. How to Fake It in Hollywood was a breath of fresh air by having real, dynamic characters. I really enjoyed this book!
shar

• Survive the Night
  • When the Stars Go Dark
  • Girl A
  • The Fraud Squad
  • Falling
  • The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)
  • A Spindle Splintered (Fractured Fables, #1)
  • Somebody's Daughter
  • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • The Road Trip (The Road Trip, #1)
  • Once There Were Wolves
  • The Echo Wife
  • The Dating Plan (Marriage Game, #2)
  • The Layover
  • In a Garden Burning Gold (Argyrosi, #1)
  • Gods & Monsters (Serpent & Dove, #3)
  • The Heart Principle (The Kiss Quotient, #3)
  • The Cheat Sheet
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate: Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer’s...
“Nobody pitied him. Which was good, because he pretty much had the market on self-pity cornered.” 1 likes
“However, that Ethan would have had Grey naked and screaming his name at the first hint of an opportunity, so maybe he could learn a thing or two from his younger self.” 0 likes