Start by marking “The Dutch Twins” as Want to Read:
The Dutch Twins

The Dutch Twins

(Twins)

This scarce antiquarian book is a facsimile reprint of the original. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment for protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature in affordable, high quality, modern ...more
Published October 17th 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1911)

Start your review of The Dutch Twins
BookSweetie

I really wanted to be able to recommend this ...but in spite of the author's charming tone and simple, captivating black and white illustrations, I can't recommend this particular volume in the series be given to impressionable youngsters but for adults THE DUTCH TWINS is a historically fascinating children's chapter book about a pair of preschool-aged Dutch twins: a boy (Kit) and a girl (Kat).

Why am I hesitant about exposing youngsters to this 1911 creation? Of course it is dated, but what
Carol
I read this entire series when I was 9. I remember exactly where they were located at the library...if it still existed today I could go right to these books on the second shelf on the left under the window. Nice memory.
Summer
We finished this as a read-aloud a couple of weeks ago but Im just now getting around to rating it. We loved this book, it was delightful and fun. The boys giggled on more than one occasion. We are continuing with the series.

* There was one word that was out of date and meant something COMPLETELY different so I had to edit that, but I cant remember what it was.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
1001 CBYMRBYGU
Kit and Kat are twins. They live in Holland with their mother and father. Kit and Kat are not their real names; their real names are Katrina and Christopher, but they will not be called Katrina and Christopher until they are four and a half feet tall and that will be a long time from now.

So goes this little collection of stories about the two little Dutch twins. They go fishing with their father on the dyke and drive a tiny milk cart with their grandfather and sell cabbages with
Donna
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Sweet stories of ordinary events in the lives of Kit and Kat, Dutch twins, written in 1911.

Good thing: I smiled a lot while I read about Kit and Kat's 'adventures' - learning to ice skate, helping their father take produce to market, and going fishing with their grandfather.

Bad thing: It's a shame there's such a pronounced gender difference in what is expected from boys and girls but hey - it was written in 1911!

This book reminded me of the enjoyment of reading and re-reading the Little House on
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
The Dutch Twins are now more than a hundred years old and showing signs of age I think. Sweet, slow stories that held more historical interest than anything for me. I did get to try an old Dutch pudding because of it, and that's always good. I don't think they would have held my son's interest when he was younger, but I'm glad to have read them.

Carol Koehn
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quaint and informative

This is an interesting book for younger readers, telling of the life of children in Holland. Should be required for 3rd to 4th grade readers. I liked the suggestions for teachers at the end.
Rachel
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute story about twins and their adventures in Ireland. I enjoyed the story and will read another story of their adventures.
Victoria
Apr 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
First book Beverly Clearly remembers reading. She loved them.
Ginny B
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

A sweet story of twin children. We used this as part of world culture in our preschool. Illustrations are beautiful
Valerie R
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Old-fashioned reading for young readers.
kelly
Cute Cute Cute!!!
Janet Lynch
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
This is suitable for emerging readers. It's filled with daily Dutch life of a bygone era, told with gentle humor and the sexism of its time.
Amy
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think I stole this book from my mom's bookshelf when I was 6 when I first read the book. Twenty years later this book is mine! It's a charming account of the story of two small twins and their lives in Holland. The prose is good and the illustrations are simple, yet charming. I recently found out that she wrote other books about twins throughout the world (card catalog systems can be limiting) and can hardly wait to read those!
Karyn Tripp
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Adorable story of two little twins in Holland. Their names are Katrina and Christopher, but they are called Kit and Kat until they are 4 1/2 feet tall. I read this to my kids & they adored it! It was written a hundred years ago- just the kind of stories I love. It's a great way to learn about the history & culture of this country through the experiences of these two twins with their family- I also loved the stories of St. Nicholaus.
Michi
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
These stories about two little Dutch children are cute enough, but it's a shame there are so many instances of sexism in them. Of course, it's what you would expect of a book written in the early 20th century, but does every single chapter have to include at least one instance where it's made clear that the twins are treated and should be treated differently and act differently because they are a boy and a girl? I really don't recommend it for young children because of that flaw.
Susannah
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet, old- fashioned look at life in the low country in days gone by. I was amused that the Vrouw scrubbed even the pig and the tree before receiving company. The boys were entertained by the twins' antics.
Leslie
Oct 27, 2009 added it
I found a list of books I read during the summer when I was about 14. This was one of them. I don't remember anything about it, but I read it.
Jake
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia! Me and my sister used to read this before I could probably talk. Great kids story
Kathy
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a sweet little book! I wish I had some little ones to whom I could read this out-loud tonight. Darling illustrations.
Janet
Sep 24, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Down Tumbledown Mountain
  • Understood Betsy
  • Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • The Seven Silly Eaters
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • Eddie and the Fire Engine
  • Peacock Pie
  • Old Yeller
  • A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • Loulou
  • Best Words, Best Order: Essays on Poetry
  • The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family
  • Summer of the Monkeys
  • How to Read Slowly
  • The Accidental Life: An Editor's Notes on Writing and Writers
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction
From a book jacket: "In 1910, at a crowded school in a poor section of Chicago, Lucy Fitch Perkins found children from twenty-seven different countries learning together. This experience instilled in her a vivid awareness of the task that faced American teachers: to bring out of this potpourri of races one unified nation. Her idea grew into a series of stories, some with geographical backgrounds, ...more

Twins (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Puritan Twins
  • The Cave Twins
  • The French Twins
  • The American Twins of 1812
  • The Scotch Twins
  • The Mexican Twins (1915)