Start by marking “A Simple Murder: A Kate Burkholder Short Story Collection (Kate Burkholder, #4.5, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5)” as Want to Read:

A Simple Murder: A Kate Burkholder Short Story Collection

(Kate Burkholder #4.5, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5)

10 hours, 3 minutes

New York Times best-selling author Linda Castillo is known as a "master of the genre" (People) for her pulse-pounding mystery series set in Amish country. Now, together for the first time, A Simple Murder features six original short stories starring whip-smart chief of police Kate Burkholder.

While on vacation with her partner, John Tomasetti, in "Long Lo
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published February 9th 2021 by Macmillan Audio (first published February 2nd 2021)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Murder

Start your review of A Simple Murder: A Kate Burkholder Short Story Collection (Kate Burkholder, #4.5, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5)
Susanne  Strong
Review also published on blog: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

A Collection of Short Stories involving Kate Burkholder? Sign me up!

If only they had delivered as much as I’d hoped. Herein lies my problem with short stories - I’m often let wanting more and such was the case with most of the stories in “A Simple Murder” the collection by Linda Castillo.

Of the stories featured here, a few pulled me in. They were:

Long Lost: Here, Kate Burkholder and her partner John Tomasseti go away to a B&
DeAnn
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
5 murderous stars

My favorite way to wrap up 2020 is reading some Linda Castillo! Normally, I’m not a fan of short stories, but in this case, I so love this character that I truly enjoy these stories!

These six stories feature Kate Burkholder and her partner in crime (and the bedroom) John Tomasetti.

I usually say that I want more romance for Kate and John and the first story offers just that. In “Long Lost” the couple gets away to a romantic B&B but of course investigate a missing person case!

“A H
Lesa
If you’re expecting the latest Kate Burkholder novel by Linda Castillo, you’re in for a surprise. A Simple Murder is a story collection featuring the police chief in Painters Mill, Ohio. Or maybe I should just say it features Kate Burkholder. One story introduces a fourteen-year-old Kate.

I find short stories a refreshing break from novels. As with any anthology, some stories in A Simple Murder are stronger than others. In fact, “Seeds of Deception”, the one featuring the young teen Kate, is disa
Nancy
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six short stories / novellas--most in the 60-70 page range--featuring Kate Burkholder. They're all pretty good. IMHO, none is outstanding, but none is a unworthy of a read. I agree with those reviewers who prefer full-length Burkholder novels, but I wouldn't say that she can't write shorter-form fiction.

In fact, after writing a dozen Burkholder books, Castillo probably needs a break from pumping out the next one (due next fall). I've given all Castillo's novels four- or five-star ratings--I rea
Marti
A Simple Murder is a compilation of short stories by Linda Castillo. Each of the stories focuses on Kate Burkholder and solving a crime in the Painted Mills area. Kate who was born in the Amish life and left eventually moving back in the police chief’s role. Her significant other, John Tomasetti is also in law enforcement and is a huge support for her. The stories following missing people, crimes of passion, foundling babies and other crimes. Each story has a beginning, middle and an end, where ...more
Danielle Pena
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me a few stories could've been better. I liked it over all. Hope she does this again with other short stories. I like having in book form. It now is a complete series since the ebooks are now actual book form. Hope she goes on and on with this series. It is my all time favorite series. ...more
Mary Jo
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a short story fan but I liked these and enjoyed being back with the familiar setting and characters of Kate Burkholder's world. ...more
Tammy Adams
This is probably closer to 2 1/2 but, since I normally really like Castillo’s books, I went with three.

This was a collection of short stories, all of which were very predictable and guessing “who did it” wasn’t even a challenge. Not even close to the books in the regular series.
Sheila Melo
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-bookshelf
This is an anthology compiling a number of short vignettes in the Kate Burkholder series. It is not necessary to read these stories to follow the main books in the series.

Below are my reviews of each of these stories:

LONG LOST

FINAL DECISION: This was a nice little novella. There was a mystery, but it was a simple one without much drama or thrill. For me, the best part was the relationship between Kate and John and their inability to relax.

THE STORY: Kate Burkholder, a police chief and her lover
Stacey Caldarone
A Simple Murder
“Magnetic.”―People Magazine

First off, thank you so much to St Martins and NetGalley for this advanced digital copy! This book will be released In February!

This book is actually complied of a bunch of short stories, all dealing with crime within the Amish community and all being solved by Chief Kate Burkholder, who herself used to be part of the community. This book has 6 amazing short stories that you will most definitely enjoy.

There wasn’t anything too gory or uncomfortable, wh
Jane
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of the Kate Burkholder series by Linda Castillo, I was more than happy to read all of these short stories compiled in A Simple Murder: A Kate Burkholder Short Story Collection so that I could see Burkholder once again in action to hold me over until Castillo's next full installment of this police chief and her role as a public servant and a former member of the Amish community. Each story can be independently read and there is one in which Burkholder and John Tomasetti go away for ...more
Kaceey
A collection of short stories featuring my favorite character/series!

I had to laugh at myself just a little. When I requested this book all I saw was that it was a new release from Linda Castillo. I had no idea it wasn’t a full length novel!

Though I’m not a huge fan of short stories, how could I resist diving back into the life of Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police at Painters Mill, to see what she was up to.

There are six short stories included in this book. And I have to say I enjoyed every one
Carol lowkey.bookish
This collection of short stories are an entertaining addition of this excellent suspense/mystery series that blends the police world with the Amish world.

There were six short stories in this collection and my favorite was In Dark Company. Kate Burkholder had to unravel the mystery of a young lady with amnesia. I would have read a book length version of this story. The mystery and suspense shows how clever Kate is and how she responds to an armed attack.

Another favorite was In Plain Sight, which
Miriam
Six short stories and a sneak peek at the 2021 book "Fallen" by one of my favorite authors, Linda Castillo. The stories fit into gaps between books in the series featuring Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police in Painters Mill, a small Amish/Englisher town in NE Ohio.

Oh the joy of reading short stories that fill in the blanks, the backstories of people or rather characters you've come to know through a series. In this case, some of the stories stretch back to Kate Burkholder's days growing up in the
Naomi
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is composed of six short stories by Castillo. The plots are different in each but all but one involving Burkholder's abilities as the police chief of Painters Hill. I haven't read a 'short' story in years but this was a nice change. Tomasetti is included in most of the stories especially in 'Long Lost'. An abandoned baby in another one, the teenagers of Painters Mill and their problems, some secrets from Burkholder's past and a woman with amnesia in another plus a hit and run accident ...more
Joni Daniels
I’m a fan and really enjoy the Kate Burkholder series but have to wonder if the author just complied a bunch of stuff to put in a book of short stories to fulfill a contractual obligation. Little action but lots of conversation. No emotional depth and about half way though I decided not to bother. IMHO, the short form is not her forte.
Laura Poppenwimer
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great collection of short stories. Castillo manages to get a complicate plot line, interesting characters into a short story. They were entertaining and I couldn't stop with just one, had to read the whole collection straight through. It takes a special talent to be able to build a plot and end it in such a short space. ...more
MaryMargaret Norton
I love these books! I really enjoy the characters and getting lost in different cultures. Unfortunately this is a book of short stories. I thought it was the new one, but it’s not released until this summer🙁
Dana
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six short stories in one book makes it easy to read in small portions. All the stories are connected by the setting and main characters. I intended to just get started on this but ended up staying up late just to read "one more" and before I knew it, I finished the whole book. ...more
Donnap
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read all of Linda Castillo's books except for the short story ones. I was really glad they became available in one book. Following the tradition they are all really good mysteries! I am always ready to see what comes next! ...more
Beth
Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some nice quick stories.
K Saju
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories, I personally liked the feel good, Long Lost, story. The other stories are quite decent.
Fern
Feb 15, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easily digestible short stories. Good beach read.
Timothy S. Henson
An excellent read! I read this book in less than two days because it was such an enjoyable read. Now I cannot wait until summer when the next Kate Burkholder novel comes out.
Manon
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Kate Burkholder book!
Karen Wegman
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a big fan of short stories but this book was great.
Betty
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the short stories!
Sherry
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
400 pgs, 6 Kate Burkholder Short Story Collection. These are all worth reeading! One story about her before she decided to leave the Amish that led her pursue law enforcement and justice.
Jody
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Linda’s books!
Belinda Sasala
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always great reads!

• Serpentine (Alex Delaware, #36)
  • Blink of an Eye (Kendra Michaels #8)
  • The Lost Boys (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #26)
  • Spoils of the Dead (Liam Campbell Book 5)
  • Every Last Secret
  • Missing and Endangered (Joanna Brady #19)
  • Deep into the Dark
  • Twenty (Jack Swyteck, #17)
  • Before She Disappeared
  • Thicker than Blood (Zoe Bentley Mystery #3)
  • Bloodline
  • Till Murder Do Us Part
  • Died in the Wool (Whisky Business Mystery, #4)
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • The Invisible Woman
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Speak With Confection: An Amish Cupcake Cozy Mystery
  • An Instant Confection: An Amish Cupcake Cozy Mystery
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of

Kate Burkholder (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)

News & Interviews