Jump to ratings and reviews

The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass

A YA novel about a world where everyone has a bit of magic in them—but some magic is being used to change the world in unspeakable ways

Vera has a nagging feeling that she’s forgetting something. Not her keys or her homework—something bigger. Or someone. When she discovers her best friend Riven is experiencing the same strange feeling, they set out on a mission to uncover what’s going on. Everyone in Vera's world has a special ability—a little bit of magic that helps them through the day. Perhaps someone’s ability is interfering with their memory? Or is something altering their very reality? Vera and Riven intend to fix it and get back whatever or whomever they’ve lost. But how do you find the truth when you can’t even remember what you’re looking for in the first place?

304 pages, Hardcover

First published November 9, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Anna Priemaza

3 books184 followers
Anna Priemaza is a contemporary young adult author and a practicing family and immigration lawyer in Edmonton, Alberta, where she lives with her husband. She can never quite remember how old she is, as she knits like an old lady, practices law like an adult, fangirls over YouTubers like a teen, and dreams like a child.

*Please note that this account does not accept friend requests to prevent conflict with Amazon's review policies.*

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (10%)
1 star
3 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 67 reviews
Profile Image for Nilufer Ozmekik.
2,072 reviews38.2k followers
April 1, 2021
Okay ... Okay... nope it’s not! Absolutely not! For god sake’s WTH I just read! A stunning story which confused the hell of me, put on fire the rest of my healthy grey cells, smart, original, magical, paranormal, mysterious and soooo surprising, shocking!

You keep forming different theories, trying to find an answer which makes sense! But as you push yourself harder to find some concrete hypothesis about the madness going on, eventually you give up! You feel exhausted! The author is at least few steps behind you. You cannot form smarter theory to answer the big question of this book!

To make things clear I have to talk more about the storyline. Vera Glass is a high school student with her lovely family, close, dork, entertaining group of friends who have aptitudes like creating salt, sugar, lighting the place as Vera can open every locks with her ability. In fact there’s are nearly 70 unique aptitudes the people can have the universe they live. They are not so powerful abilities to bring the end of the world or change the fate of universe. ( at least we hope so)

But recently Vera has strange feeling as if she’s forgotten something important. And her best friend Riven has the same awkward feeling. They want to cry for no reason, suddenly their anger flares up, an ominous, eerie feeling just a pocket emptiness sit right behind their heart!

We’re introduced a several people like Vera’s brother Al, their friends Simon, Bolu and at the next chapter we realize they don’t exist!!? You just go back to read the pages again. Nope! You didn’t read anything wrong. The characters existed a few chapters ago and then... they don’t ...You keep asking why the main characters have no idea about their besties, siblings disappear or why they act like they have no idea who they are.

Riven and Vera can feel something truly wrong. That gut feeling push them start their own investigation, suspecting their classmates called themselves witches became they witnessed their special ritual including conjuring a black 3 dimensional shadow out of nowhere. Could the reason of the awkwardness they feel related with witchcraft?

You keep making your guesses with the direction the characters gave you. Could be related with a scientific experiment, aliens, dark matter? Is it something supernatural or could it have a rational explanation?

When you reach the last third, you are getting closer to understand the real reason! ( that was the same point I was about to give up)

The conclusion is satisfying, smart and the message about grief, importance of holding on memories we created with loved ones is meaningful!

That was one of the unique, strange, interesting, complex but extremely creative novel I’ve lately read!

Special thanks to NetGalley and ABRAMS KIDS/ Amulet Books for providing me this digital reviewer copy in exchange my honest thoughts.
Profile Image for Lata.
3,441 reviews180 followers
October 25, 2021
What would happen if people you knew suddenly didn’t exist and you could not remember them ever having been in your life, but you became depressed because you knew something significant was missing? Then multiply that with each new person disappeared from your life.
Such a cool concept, isn’t it? Anna Priemaza’s story has that happen to teen Vera Glass, whose small and super tight circle of friends begins disappearing, and she knows something is missing, can’t figure out what’s missing, but wants to cry because of “the whole in her heart”, which is a great way to describe grief.

Did I like this book? Sort of. I liked Vera’s friendship with Riven, and I loved how much her circle of friends cared for each other. I liked that the setting was Edmonton; I’m always happy when a Canadian town or city is featured in a sci-fi or fantasy story.
I was less enamoured of the writing which, though competent, did not engage me, and I found myself skimming pages at a time to get to the next plot point. Despite the things I liked in this book, overall I was underwhelmed.

Thank you Netgalley and ABRAMS Kids for this ARC in exchange for my review.
Profile Image for Mary  BookHounds .
1,300 reviews1,784 followers
November 17, 2021
In Vera's world, everyone has a bit of magic.  While that magic maybe just turn a light switch on and off, everyone has just a touch.  When one in her circle finds deeper magic, tragedy ensues.  No one can quite put a finger on what is happening until it is almost too late.  The people in her circle are disappearing but no one remembers who it is, they just feel that a someone is missing.  This starts out pretty frantic and then Vera and her friend, Riven, both start to figure out what is wrong. Except they can't quite figure out if it is their memories or if the loss is real.

Wow - this one is a page-turner.  It reminds me so much of Sarah Addison Allen's book where the characters have an underlying magical ability but it isn't apparent if it is them or their surroundings.  I got that same feeling while reading this.  You end up guessing where Vera is having a mental breakdown or the world is conspiring against her.  There is a Doctor Who reference that warmed my heart and compared her circumstances to parallel universes.  When I read that - I gasped with joy.  This is a wonderful read that really is different than typical fantasy YA - these characters are real.
Profile Image for Anna Priemaza.
Author 3 books184 followers
February 8, 2021
Feb. 8, 2021 Update: And now VERA GLASS has a cover! Isn't it beautiful?!
Also, a release date: Nov. 9, 2021!

Sept. 28, 2020 Update: I'm so excited to announce that this book (formerly ONE MINUTE THERE) has a new title: THE FORGOTTEN MEMORIES OF VERA GLASS! Do you love it as much as I do?
Profile Image for Kailey (Luminous Libro).
2,844 reviews433 followers
January 25, 2022
Vera has this strange empty feeling inside her, as if something is missing from her life, but she can't remember what is missing. She finds herself crying at odd things. She seems to half-remember random objects, but can't remember why they are important. When Vera realizes that her family and some of her classmates are also experiencing that same empty feeling, she begins to investigate what she can't remember.

This plot completely broke my brain! It was so exciting and masterfully constructed. It was amazing to see how the plot unfolded, since the reader CAN remember all the people and things that Vera is gradually forgetting. The reader has so much more information than Vera does, and that made it really interesting to see how Vera tries to reconstruct the facts from what is left over after a memory is gone.

I loved the world-building in this book! Each person has an "aptitude" based on their genes. They can control light, or unlock doors, or make food sweet. Some people have a useful aptitude, like getting a strong intuition about things. Some people have a basically useless aptitude, like being able to control shadows.
It was so interesting to see how different people used their aptitudes, and how different aptitudes are viewed with fear or sometimes revulsion.

The writing style is phenomenal. I am completely in awe of the brilliance of this writing. It's so clever, and yet it meets you in a very simple emotional place. Having a spaghetti dinner with your family suddenly becomes a major plot point. Buying a Halloween costume could change the entire plot line. Every tiny mundane thing in Vera's world takes on huge significance, because that is what life is built on- little moments in each day when you laugh with your friends. The writing really pulls you into Vera's world, and plunks you down into a scene and rips your heart out with a spaghetti dinner. Somehow the writing makes you love these characters within a couple of paragraphs. It only takes one brother who smirks and teases his sister, and I'm crying my eyes out on page 30.

These characters!!!! My heart was broken and healed and broken and smashed and repaired again so many times through this book. I fell in love with every single character! I cried six or seven times through the entire book, because I would fall in love with a character and think, "Oh no! Vera is going to forget them! Noooooooo! Not Simon!!!!" *cries forever*

Vera herself is an amazing main character. She is smart and compassionate and brave, and I just adore her! Her personality is so authentic and real. I loved the way that she cuts right to the heart of every scene, looking past the social conventions and the barriers that people put up. She really SEES the people around her, and therefore, we do too. It is through Vera's authenticity and her love for her family and friends, that we the readers also fall in love with those characters.

Vera's family is so cool. She has adorable crazy little siblings that she has to babysit. She has scientist parents who are doing research about how people get their aptitudes. The close relationships in this family are so wonderful!

Vera has a friend group at school that includes her best friend, Riven, and a whole bunch of misfit characters, including twins Simon and Pete. They all hang out together at school and at church. They plan their Halloween costumes together. They are a close-knit group that tease each other and support each other. The adorableness just flows off the page. I felt like I was IN that group. I was right there with them, having lunch and hanging out and planning our Halloween theme. I was one of the friends too, and that is why it hurt so bad when Vera starts to forget them!

I really loved the deep themes that are explored in this book in such a unique way. There is of course a wonderful exploration of friendship, family, and how the ordinary things of life are important. But this book also dives into tolerance, faith, truth, grief, depression, and what it really means to be compassionate. I'm so impressed with the way these deep subjects were treated with respect and gentleness. It's really beautiful and meaningful!

I can't even describe how much I loved this book! I wish I could give it a million stars!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review. All the opinions expressed here are my own true thoughts, and are not influenced by anyone.
Profile Image for Vee_Bookish.
1,211 reviews270 followers
December 25, 2021
The Forgotten Memories Of Vera Glass is an interesting mash up of sci-fi and magical realism, set in a high school in a world that parallels our own. The world feels exactly the same as the one I know, except everyone in this world has magic, called aptitudes, which can vary from being able to change colours to turning on lights.

The tension of not knowing if the start of a chapter would mean the sudden disappearance of a favourite character was a new, uncomfortable feeling which caused me to paused for a moment to prepare myself very often! I really grew attached to Vera, Al, Simon, Pete, Bolu and Riven. Watching each of them suddenly disappear from the world, not remembered by anyone but myself was jarring.

A couple of gripes I did have with the story, I felt that the Doctor Who references might have been too much. The idea of the plot is based on a Doctor Who episode, which I know as a huge fan of the show but there was a lot of discussion about the show and specific plot details which I loved, but I wondered if someone who had never seen the show would be confused.

Another problem I had was that I guessed exactly what was going on and the culprit within a few chapters, due to being a massive Buffy fan as well as Doctor Who. I am a massive nerd, just go with it. There's a specific character in the early season of Buffy which gave me the clue I needed to solved this mystery, strangely enough.

I came for the mystery, but I stayed for the wonderful friendship between Vera and her friends. I loved how diverse the friend group was, and how memorable every single character was - I was even able to remember their names, a feat I rarely achieve.
Profile Image for Emily Murphy.
Author 3 books385 followers
November 5, 2021
Anna Priemaza has woven such a beautiful, enchanting story in THE FORGOTTEN MEMORIES OF VERA GLASS. Her books and characters always warm my heart and this one was no exception. Touching and thought-provoking. Looking forward to whatever she writes next.
Profile Image for Tanaz.
Author 5 books606 followers
April 27, 2021
This was wonderfully conceptualized, poignant and heartwarming!
Profile Image for Rajiv.
957 reviews62 followers
July 2, 2021

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

Wow, “The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass” turned out to be a Young adult book that took me on a mind trip. When I started reading this book, I had no idea it would end up being so profound and eerie.

Firstly, I applaud the author for coming up with such a creative story. Unlike any other young adult book I have read, this book made me think about our lives and existence. Mostly, the story made me realize how people perceive us. For instance, if people don’t notice us and stamp our presence, does that mean we start to disappear? Furthermore, the author keeps you guessing as to what is happening. Is Vera suffering from a mental health issue? Is there something supernatural happening? There are also some shocking twists, like what Vera sees in the graveyard. I also loved the references to “Doctor Who” and the concept of time travel and a parallel universe.

Speaking of Vera, I enjoyed the way the author wrote her. She knows something is happening to her (and the people around her), but she does not know why. I loved the way she starts to investigate and figure out what is happening. I also enjoyed her friendship with Riven. Moreover, I thought the author wrote all the characters distinctively.

However, it took me a few chapters into the story to get invested in it. Nothing much happens in the first few pages except Vera feeling that something is wrong. However, the story took off brilliantly once Vera goes to the graveyard. From then on, the story was a rollercoaster ride.

Overall, “The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass” is a creative and gripping Young Adult fantasy novel worth checking out.
Profile Image for Alex Nonymous.
Author 15 books295 followers
April 15, 2021
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass in exchange for an honest review!

I really like the casual approach Priemaza takes to throwing you into the world here. Vera and her friends live in a world pretty similar to ours except everyone has a magical power and instead of spending a lot of time giving backstory for that, it's just written into casual conversation. I do wish the book had a few more characters so the plot twist would have been a bit more obvious, but I really liked the direction Priemaza took the narrative after the reveal. A few things here were a tad to heavy handed for my personal taste, but the plot was interesting enough to keep me invested.
Profile Image for Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads).
470 reviews29 followers
Shelved as 'dnf'
September 25, 2021
**Netgalley ARC**
*DNF @25%*
This has a cool sounding premise, of a girl who knows something is wrong with her memories and sets out to find the truth, but this didn't keep my attention. It's a very slow book with just day to day stuff of her and her friends at school and her home life. There's hints of something being wrong but just knowing that isn't enough. The suspense of what's wrong never felt like it was executed well. Plus Vera's voice is just so plain and honestly kind of forgettable that I didn't care to keep going...
Profile Image for Kelliii.
26 reviews
June 6, 2022
Wow. What a unique, riveting story. The mystery was nothing like I’ve ever heard before and the worldbuilding was very simple, which was all this book needed. It’s veryyyy different from Priemaza’s other books (which I ADORE), but it was definitely an interesting direction that I’m not mad about in the least. I’ve never felt emotions like the ones in this book…
Profile Image for Meg.
44 reviews
January 17, 2022
We watch them that way for a few minutes. They talk. Cecily writes some things in her notebook. Nothing happens.

Replace “Cecily” with “Vera and Riven”, and “a few minutes” with “hundreds of pages”. It pretty much sums up the book.

(Spoilers are hidden.)

1.25 STARS

The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass is narrated by a teenager called Vera, who can’t shake the feeling that something is off about her life. Something’s missing. White roses and spaghetti suddenly make her want to cry, but how can you figure out what’s lost if you never lost anything in the first place? …or did you? This book lets the readers in on the fact that people are mysteriously vanishing from Vera’s life, but Vera cannot remember this herself. The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass asks readers to wonder why people are disappearing and who is behind it.

I just made that sound significantly too interesting. My bad.

This book’s plot was immediately not my cup of tea. I don’t love reading mysteries, nor magical realism, both of which this book is. But I do love Anna Priemaza, who I fell in love with immediately after reading Kat & Meg Conquer the World, and who became an auto-buy author for me after that. So, with the author being my sole motivation for reading this book, I bought it. And read it. This was a mistake.

The thing about Vera Glass is that it’s a huge departure from what I think Anna does best: realistic fiction with no mystery whatsoever. That approach gives the novel all the time in the world to craft characters we care about. Kat & Meg has the lovable, straightedged, anxiety-ridden Kat and the hyperactive, excitable, adventurous Meg. Fan the Fame, her second book, has sympathetic, persistent Sam and kind-but-ethically-conflicted Willow. (I don’t remember enough about Lainey to give her adjectives, but I remember liking her waaaay more than the characters in this book.) It’s been a good while since I read about those characters, and their traits stuck with me. Yet, as I think about Vera, the only trait that comes to mind is “boring”.

Which is especially detrimental in this case, because when a boring “character” “drives” a boring “plot”, it’s not really a book at all. The characters in this book talk, eat, talk, look after Vera’s siblings, talk, go to her youth group, talk, solve logic problems, talk, watch Doctor Who, and talk — anything to avoid actually moving the story forward. The characters hardly ever actually searched for answers, garnered clues, spoke to people who might have insight on the situation, or did anything generally considered intriguing. I sped-read sooooo much of this. Imagine walking up a staircase, only you’re not actually walking up the staircase, you’re just waiting a designated amount of time until you get to be teleported to the top of the staircase. That is this book. You are simply waiting for the end the whole time. .

And the end is . There was a chunk of, like, thirty pages at the end that I semi-enjoyed. But .

Good things: Edmonton (Canada) setting, the aforementioned thirty (probably less than thirty) pages were sort of enjoyable, the writing is readable, and it passes the Bechdel test. (Although I did not care about Riven nor Vera so I didn’t actually care about it passing the Bechdel test.)

BUT IT IS STILL EXTREMELY BORING AND NOT WORTH IT.

I wish this book had the beautiful characters of Anna’s previous novels. I wish it had the gripping mystery plotline the premise made me hope for. But it had neither, and I did not enjoy reading it. So I’m just going to pretend this boring book is not part of Anna Priemaza’s published works and remember her as the author of novels I actually liked.
Profile Image for Shannon (It Starts At Midnight).
1,084 reviews1,010 followers
November 17, 2021

This story was so utterly unique and entertaining! I am not quite sure what route I expected the book to take, but it wasn't what I ended up getting- but in the best possible way. Let's talk about what I loved, and what left me wanting a bit more.

What I Loved:

►I mean, the whole entire premise? What if someone you knew, someone you loved, maybe someone you shared DNA with, suddenly vanished from existence? You wouldn't remember them, so you wouldn't technically know, but maybe you'd feel like something was... amiss. There is a bit of a hole where your loved one was, only you can't quite define it, because again, they don't exist. It's so thought provoking and mysterious, I could not stop reading, frankly!

►I enjoyed Vera and her friend group. They just seemed like so much fun to be around, and like genuinely good people who would be so fun to hang out with. I understood why they loved each other, and it was easy to see why someone would feel pain at their absences.

►The twists were amazing and kept me guessing throughout. Honestly this is why the book was so compulsively readable; I had to know what was going on! Would these people be gone forever? Would Vera even know she's lost people?

►Obviously, incredibly high stakes. This too made it so readable- the stakes were enormous! I mean, full humans could be wiped off the face of the Earth, but even worse than that, no one would remember them ever existing. Kind of terrifying, no?

What I Didn't:

►The ending felt quite rushed. I mean, look, questions were answered. I just found it to be a bit of a letdown that after such an exciting book overall, the ending seemed a little easy and underwhelming for me. Not a dealbreaker at all obviously, considering I liked the book, but maybe be aware for your own expectations.

Bottom Line: So unique and entertaining, I was completely invested in the outcome of this one!
Profile Image for Lilibet Bombshell.
423 reviews52 followers
November 19, 2021
This is my idea of what’s just about a perfect, well-rounded young-adult fantasy novel. Not only is the subject matter pitched perfectly for the YA market, but the tone and character voices are spot-on as well. I found the whole book as heartbreaking as I did philosophical in its ethical and logical musings.

You can definitely see the influences of fantasy writers like C.S. Lewis and Phillip Pullman simultaneously in this work, which is an interesting juxtaposition. Vera, the female protagonist, strongly believes in God in a world where everyone has a magical aptitude, while she has many friends who are either ambivalent or even outright non-believers. There are also (as there is always) outliers in Vera’s high school who practice decentralized religions like witchcraft.

You can’t help but feel a little bit gutted yourself as Vera and her friends lose more and more memories (if one can call what is happening something as succinct as “memories”) as the book moves on. You feel the harsh sting and emptiness they feel at not knowing what’s gone, but knowing that something is gone just the same. The world just doesn’t feel the same anymore.

Ultimately, when you reach toward the end of the book, Vera’s normally endearing hobby of solving logic puzzles for fun turns into a moral and ethical quandary as she tries to figure out how to undo whatever has been done.

What I love about the end of this book is that it doesn’t tie everything up in a bow. Author Anna Priemaza could’ve gone that way: she could’ve chosen to go the happily-ever-after route and chosen to have us readers not taught a lesson. But I’m so glad she took on the challenge to actually put her foot down and lay out the implications for everyone regarding their morals, ethics, and the results of the demands and choices they made just before the end of the book. The book doesn’t end unhappily, but it doesn’t end on a sweet note, either. It’s like dark chocolate: deep, some sweetness, some happiness, but those bitter notes lingering on the back of your tongue.

I’d like to thank ABRAMS Kids and NetGalley for allowing me the opportunity to read and review this title.
Profile Image for Starr ❇✌❇.
1,108 reviews108 followers
October 28, 2021
I received an ARC from Edelweiss

Vera Glass has forgotten something. She just doesn't know what. But there's a pit of hurt that comes out over the strangest things, and she's not the only one feeling a change. But what could be hurting them all so much? Everyone has an aptitude, a small power they can control, but magic is still impossible. So why does she keep getting such a strange feeling around the girls who call themselves Witches?

This is such a nice, emotional mystery. Vera trying to figure out what's going on with her is deeply personal, yet dramatic enough to seep into every element of the world building and cast. It's impossible not to get emotionally invested.
The mystery is tense, even when the answer seems finally clear, and the sense of grief and dread throughout are hard to untangle yourself from. Priemaza also does an excellent job at scattering red herrings throughout, and more often than not still making them feel satisfying.

I expected this book about disappearing memories to begin after the disappearance and have us stuck at the same point as Vera, but the way it's actually done worked so much better for me. Instead, we know right away what it is is wrong, and we see as it progresses, we just don't now how or why. This irony makes everything cut so much deeper, and the way the changes to reality make themselves known is so seamless you can relate to what Vera is going through.

What also makes it easier to relate to Vera, and get invested, is that Priemaza lets us get to know each of these characters before they disappear. You truly can, and often do, grieve for the characters as they're erased, and it makes the whole thing heavier and more beautiful.

What kept me from loving this book is mostly the places where things felt thinner. While not all the possible paths need to be explained or explored, and some of the red herrings pan out well, there are places where I did expect an answer or a deeper look and was disappointed to see the point dropped- like Vera's unlocking power and the way her family treats it.
The characters themselves felt flatter than I was hoping as well. As much as I did find it easy to ally with Vera the characters are mostly surface level and even those who were begging for more complexity get left there.

Honestly, the writing itself doesn't allow for a lot of complexity or nuance. There are a lot of moments that felt fairly clunky or that wrapped up too neatly. This is a short book, and it seems like that's on purpose.

And what personally infuriated me at the end:

This book has a great core concept, and emotionally it excels. The writing wasn't my favorite, and it never lingers long past the surface, but it's still easy to get invested in.
Profile Image for Abigail Singrey.
399 reviews32 followers
November 14, 2021
“Witches in a graveyard. Holes in my happiness. Questions that need answering."

An achingly beautiful story of loss and the lengths we'll go to for the ones we love.

In Vera's world, everyone has a little bit of magic, such as the ability to unlock doors or turn on lights or sense what others need to hear. But when someone taps into deeper magic, things start to go very, very wrong. Vera's lost someone, but she doesn't know who it is. Instead, she feels a person-shaped hole in her heart. She and her best friend Riven try to solve the mystery, but meanwhile, people keep disappearing. The reader realizes it, but the characters don't realize their loss, until the moment they do.

The first few chapters introduce a LOT of characters, but you're going to want to stick with this one. Once people started disappearing, I was hooked as Vera and her friends fight to find out what's happening. I loved how unexpected the final answer was.

This book felt contemporary, but the magic provided an interesting twist to Vera's high school experiences. It was woven into the story well, with Vera's parents working at an institute researching the magical aptitudes.

The ending was perfect. I'll be thinking about this one for a long time.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Tara Goedjen.
Author 2 books97 followers
November 15, 2021
I'm so lucky that I got an early copy of this gorgeous book. Full review to come soon!
Profile Image for Sharon.
132 reviews
June 25, 2021
Thank you to ABRAMS Kids, Amulet Books, and Netgalley for free access to a digital copy of The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass by Anna Priemaza in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This was a wonderful book in so many ways. I love fantasy that is set in the real world with a touch of something supernatural. Vera, like everyone else, has a magical power - an aptitude, but just one. Some powers are more useful to daily life than others. Some are quite mysterious.

The author has done an incredible job with bringing the reader along at the same pace, or slightly ahead of, Vera in developing an understanding of what is happening in the story. I had “wait, but I thought…” moments throughout. As the novel continues, Vera and the reader become more aware of what is missing, or being forgotten.

This is a story of love, the bonds of friendship, the willingness to grow and learn, and of acceptance of self and others. My only regret, at the moment, is that I have no friends who have read it yet to discuss it! I cannot wait until it is released in the world so I can share it with my students.
Profile Image for Meghan.
2,062 reviews
June 30, 2021
This book was received as an ARC from ABRAMS Kids - Amulet Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I loved the concept and execution of this book. I am a fan of books that are unpredictable filled with twists and turns at every chapter and The Forgotten Memories of Vera Glass had them and more. You know at first what to expect from the title of this book but the concept that Anna Priemaza chose was different and unexpected in the best possible way. At first, I was concerned that I was going to be confused and then at the end, make sense and get good then the book will end but I was in for such a thrill ride that I was glad I read this book from start to finish anticipating when I was going to continue. When I finished the book, I was filled with excitement that I had to tell someone about the release of this book which I know is not until November but, I know our teen book club will have much to say when they read it themselves.

We will consider adding this title to our YA collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
Profile Image for Caity.
1,112 reviews11 followers
November 3, 2021
This is such an interesting premise for a book and the mystery of what is causing people to disappear kept me interested through the whole story. That said, the book otherwise felt very flat to me; the pacing was slow, I wanted a little more information about the book's magic system, and the characters weren't the most interesting. Particularly Vera herself, I just didn't really find her likeable even though there wasn't anything I particularly disliked about her either. Though I did find the way she and her friends talked about how they weren't like other teens because they went to youth group instead of partying a bit off putting. There are plenty of teens that don't experiment with drugs or alcohol, probably many who would otherwise relate more to Vera because of this, and the characters keep stating its so odd. I also was a little disappointed in the ending, after the rest of the book being so slow it felt very rushed. Overall this book was definitely not my cup of tea.
Profile Image for Liz.
1,788 reviews3 followers
December 17, 2021
Very unique premise and felt like reading a Doctor Who episode (thinking of Fear Her in Series 2) but some parts just got bogged down by minutiae. Some of the dialogue felt a bit unrealistic as well (teenagers saying "darn" or "heck" in books always reads strangely to me). The twist with how everyone was disappearing was unexpected and I liked how it was resolved.
Profile Image for Sarah.
Author 6 books33 followers
May 27, 2022
Couple of things were great about this book, not the least of which is the part where Priemaza wrote herself into a spectacular corner with the plot and then WROTE HERSELF OUT OF IT. Truly an amazing feat of engineering. I also really appreciated that two of the characters are religious. Characters in books--not just YA books, but like, most mainstream fiction--are almost never religious. Their Christianity is an important part of their identities and drives their values and some of their actions, but it is never obtrusive or proselytizing. I found it a breath fo fresh air to encounter. On the other side, the world-building and the way magic works in this world is very very specific and, honestly, dumb. But not a deal-breaker for me at all.
Profile Image for Jeff.
352 reviews4 followers
June 1, 2022
This book was really good. I randomly picked it off the New Arrivals shelf in the YA section of the library (books and covers, etc) and was well-pleased. I'm not sure I've read a book like it before, and it makes me excited for the teens that will read it and have their brains bent a little. If you've ever watched TNG, you'll figure out what is happening pretty quickly, but the mechanism by which the author builds and resolves the narrative is really masterful. It starts a little slow, but once you're into it, it really works and works well. Had I not been reading it before bed, I would have devoured this book in an afternoon.
Profile Image for tonya_with_an_o.
477 reviews15 followers
September 28, 2021
Something is missing in Vera's life, but she can't put her finger on what. The absence has left a hollow space inside her that seems to grow by the day. When Vera discovers that she's not the only one feeling this way, that's proof enough that something much larger is amiss. Vera and her best friend Riven know they must do something before it's too late, but too late for what? How do you fix what you don't remember?

So this is a really cool premise, and there's a very minor magic system in the book as well. I liked that there wasn't a long drawn out explanation of the magic, we are just dropped right in. I was interested enough in the plot to finish the book, even though I had some issues with the book. There is no subtlety here, you are hit over the head again and again. There's a theological component, which is definitely not my bag. I cared almost nothing for the characters, and the dialogue was cheesy and clunky. Still, I wanted to know how it ended. So, I guess I was hooked regardless of my problems. Maybe this one was just too young for me? I definitely think it will be a hit with readers, 16 and under. Thank you to Amulet Books and Netgalley for the chance to review this advance copy.
2.75 stars rounded up
Profile Image for bridget.
20 reviews7 followers
April 1, 2021
Thank you for NetGalley and the publisher for giving me this book!

I have to say, in the first few pages, I thought this book was setting up to introduce us to Vera’s normal. Now, I don’t have a problem with that, but sometimes I wonder how long it will take to get to the story. Let me say this: this book wasn’t setting up the normal. It was straight into the action in plot. I had to take a second to reread the chapter and grasp what happened. It was as if I was on a cliff’s edge and pushed into the water below. I found myself whispering, “Oh my god,” more than once and I was very eager to get to the bottom of the mystery. I was struck by how much the characters’ grief in this story is palpable. My heart ached, my throat get swollen. I wanted to read more, and yet the eerie vibe I got had me shivering. Genuinely, this was a beautiful read, though there were a few spots I felt I was told rather than shown.

I would love to have a sequel — if not direct ( I have ideas ! The Witches’ internship ! And more ! ), a spiritual sequel in the same universe would be so appreciated.
Profile Image for Diany (Diany_in_bookland).
102 reviews15 followers
August 22, 2022
Okay, first I just want to say holly hell that was such an intense ride! I don't know exactly what I expected from this book before I read it but it definitely wasn't that (and I mean that in the best way possible). Recently I have become a real sucker for magical realism and this book 100% delivers. I'm not going to lie, there were parts of the book where I was confused and I thought I was missing something important, but I have a feeling that was done on purpose? Vera and Riven have this big chunk of memories missing so if I'm not mistaken, I think they author was trying to put us in their shoes WHICH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. So many times I give books lower ratings because they were too "tell-y" and not enough "show-y" but after reading Vera Glass, I am going to be upset if they don't make be feel like I am actually in the thick of it with the main characters. This book was definitely really complicated and it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you think it is, highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Cary Morton.
837 reviews37 followers
October 9, 2021
I received a copy of this book directly from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Though this book started slow, I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected to. I'll admit, I had my reservations. The book began with a lot of small mundane moments playing out, and I feared the book would continue at a sluggish pace. It didn't help that the author had a penchant for awkwardly pointing out the color of each character's skin - which I found rather jarring and unnecessary.

But as the story wound on, I became engrossed. Not necessarily because of the characters - they didn't really grow or change much throughout the book - but because of the heart-rending "what if" of having people in your life disappear from one moment to the next and leaving no indication that they ever existed other than the feeling of loss. It was a powerful concept, and absolutely devastating for the characters. I found the story to be thought-provoking and emotional, and even if the book wasn't filled with exceptional prose or character building, I still think it was an excellent read.
Profile Image for Carolina Colleene.
1,333 reviews35 followers
October 28, 2021
Language: PG (3 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: G
Vera feels an unexplainable sadness. Everyday things like spaghetti and the number four make her cry, but there isn’t any reason for her pain. All Vera knows is that she isn’t the only one feeling it, which means it can be fixed, and nothing is going to stop her from figuring out how.
Magic is prevalent in Vera’s world, but the experiences of the characters with mental health are applicable for us in our magicless existence. Priemaza has expertly crafted a world that feels real to readers because of emotional connections despite the differing circumstances. After the emotional ride I went on with Vera, I could only sit and stare at the last page for a while. My heart broke and hoped with hers, not knowing how anything would turn out but praying for a happy ending -- for both her world and our own. The mature content rating is for innuendo and mentions of sex.
Reviewed for https://kissthebook.blogspot.com/
Displaying 1 - 30 of 67 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.