Start by marking “Elizabeth Bennet: Heiress” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Bennet: Heiress

Elizabeth Bennet: Heiress

This story takes up the lives of Darcy and Elizabeth and their family and friends soon after Bingley holds the ball at Netherfield Park. Mr. Bennet receives news that Mr. Collins has died, and, there being no other living male descendants of the grandparent who created the fee tail on Longbourn, Mr. Bennet may will Longbourn to the daughter of his choice. He chooses Elizab ...more
Published February 4th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth Bennet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth Bennet

Start your review of Elizabeth Bennet: Heiress
Sheila Majczan
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ironically this is the second story in a row that I have read in which the Bennets' fortune and social standing rises significantly. In this story Collins dies (We never learn how) and with no other male heirs Mr. Bennet must rewrite his will to leave his estate to one of his daughters. After discussing it will Jane, Elizabeth becomes his heir. No surprise for the reader as the title gives us that.

HOWEVER, several surprises are in store. Mr. Bennet has not neglected his finances and has much sq
J. W. Garrett
She was just a country girl at heart, the daughter of a gentleman.

Rating: clean: PG->13: due to suggestive discussions regarding the wedding night. Angst level: low with several stressful moments that propelled the drama. Source: borrowed KU 3-7-21: 28-chapters + epilogue. This was a long slow story with minimal angst. There were stressors but were handled in style. There were editing errors and continuity problems such as saying one thing and doing another, mentioning something when it had not
Shifra
Apr 02, 2021 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: read it ironically
description

What struck me immediately was how unnatural the dialogue was, if this story was reframed as regency aliens trying to human he’d have nailed it.

It’s incredible what degree this story could become less farcical just by taking the speech quotations- so that the info dumps weren't dialogue- and pushing them so that they were narrative exposition like a normal story.
description
There is no organic conversation; it reads like scripted interviews between characters or playing guessing games: they supply motives
Sam H.
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jaff-2021, 2021
This started out as 4* because I was intrigued by the story, continued to 3* because I was disappointed in the writing. Barely ended on a gasp, cause it was all I take to complete it on 2*.

Whatever joy could be gotten from the story line, is killed off by writing which needs some SERIOUS polishing and far too many perfections of Elizabeth's and Kitty's characters. And Oops! another thing pops up in the story, which makes them even more perfect than perfect... and their charm that enthralls all w
James S
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Heiress

With Lizzy being an heiress she much closer to being of Darcy’s social level, especially with her many good friends in ‘the bon ton’. On top of the above, Mr. Bennet has his own connections.

A fun read. I enjoyed the story.
Adele
Mar 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
Too convoluted

This is one of those that I have to admit to not finishing. Too many coincidents, too many surprise relations, revelations and mysteries that get wrapped up with a nice bow. The language doesn’t flow, the dialogue is stiff and unrealistic. And seriously a school for the visual and performing arts in 1806?
Gail Frisby
Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Story

I loved this lizzy, she was beautiful bold and very intelligent. I am glad it did not take Darcy and lizzy the whole book to admit they were in love. Good book I will read it again!
Bethanne
Mar 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Nice story

Mr Collins dies before he can marry Charlotte and it breaks the entail bc there's no further males waiting. Mr Bennet leaves Longbourne to Elizabeth bc she's best at managing the estate. She finds that her father has put significant amounts of money aside for both Mrs Bennet's widowhood and the girls dowry. He sends Elizabeth and Kitty to London to have a season and be presented to the Queen. There they meet old friends of their father who are the Duke and Duchess. More influential peo
Rachel de la Fuente
May 04, 2021 rated it liked it
The premise is interesting. I really wanted to love this book because the idea that one event could change so much is fascinating. Unfortunately, I don’t feel this is all that well written. There are three separate storylines in Elizabeth Bennet: Heiress (EBH), and they are obviously separate. I’ve read books where the various storylines are intricately woven together in such a way as to make the reader feel as though everything is interconnected and interdependent. EBH however, almost feels as ...more
Maria Escarda
May 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Too good to be true

This variation is a clean angst-free offering, apart from Elizabeth Bennet’s internal conflict about marrying Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. It’s too good to be true really. Almost all the characters are close to perfect, everything put in its proper place, happening at the right place and at the eighth time. Truly a fairy tale. Unfortunately, this reader does not appreciate fairy tales, especially when conflict is almost absent and everything is expected to end happily. It becomes bo
Madenna U
First I have to say that I love that Don Miller goes back to his version of the Pride and Prejudice world when he writes because I really enjoy his characters and visiting with them again.

This story finds Elizabeth being designated as the heir of Longbourn, after Mr Collins has a fatal accident. The timeline is after the Hunsford proposal but before her holiday north. With her new found confidence and funds, she and Kitty head to London. They are both sponsored by very influential members of the
Liliya
Jun 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
Horrible book. Probably the worse out of all the books I’ve read. The central plot is interesting, Elizabeth becoming rich after rejecting Darcy is a great story but this book does it no justice. The book is extremely predictable. You know exactly what will happen next. The writing is bad. Elizabeth is perfect. It’s not fun to read about perfect people. There’s no conflict or character growth to look forward to. The language used is extremely modern and does not sound like a book about the 18th ...more
Marie
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021, jaff, ku
A too-perfect Elizabeth
This is a typical Don H. Miller feel-good, zero angst read that portrays almost-perfect protagonists. For me, this is not necessarily a bad thing if you want a change of pace when reading Pride and Prejudice variations. In this book, there were many similarities to his other books, and unfortunately, this one is plagued with excessive proofreading misses. If you can overlook all this, it is a rather pleasant, quick read.
Lynne Robson
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another Brilliant Story by this Author

Loved it could not put it down, Mr Collins passes away and there is no other male on his father's side so the entails is broken. Mr Bennet can therefore leave Longborne to which ever daughter he feels fit so he calls Elizabeth and Jane in his office and explains what's happened and with James blessing he leaves it to Elizabeth as she knows that she will know more about how to look after the estate than her.
Lindsey Arruda
Mar 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great plot

I really enjoyed this book, however, the writing seemed stiff at times and there were some holes that could've been filled a little better. I am almost always a fan of the books where E is almost too good to be true. I think the original character, flaws and all, make for a good base to make her to be put on a pedestal in ff books. All in all a good book.
Catherine Martin
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Well written variation

This author is very talented in weaving a plausible story that starts with Mr Collins death a short while after the Netherfield Ball.
My biggest issue is that Lizzy has had all her flaws buffed out. She rarely takes a misstep, she is adored by almost everyone she meets and has no self doubt about her new role as heiress of Longbourn.
Jeanah
Apr 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
A bit unbelievable, but still enjoyable

It is a low angst interesting story in which one death leads to the Bennet family wealth, prestige, high connections and profound lineage revealed. They are later accepted into the ton. As I have said, it is a bit unbelievable but still I enjoyed reading the story.
Barbara Martinez
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I was waiting for this author's next book and it didn't disappoint. Darcy and Elizabeth find their way back together without too much angst. Highly recommend this book.
Mrs A Kemp
Mar 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
I do not like being forced to write reviews

Dislike the changes made by kindle that were so useful to readers which make the experience annoying when you cannot close the book when needing to open another book.
Brittany
May 12, 2021 rated it it was ok
Not worth it

Story was poorly executed. The idea was nice but there were too many coincidences. Most importantly the connection to the Gardiners and nobility is unrealistic which makes this Tory unbelievable. The author could’ve done much better.
Craftyhj
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5* rounded up to 4*

A less common variation scenario make for an interesting read. The characters and narrative can be a little wooden at times but the story flow is pretty good. Books by this author are well edited making for an easier read.
Lisa E
Mar 29, 2021 rated it did not like it

Dialog is stiff, overly informative, unnatural. Needs editing for typos, continuity, and plot errors. Anachronisms. Too many new characters (unless you have read author's other variations, then they are familiar. )
Kirby
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Minnie

Enjoyed!!! It was interesting to witness kitty take jane’s place with Lizzie. It felt strange not have the usual Jane, Lizzie together.
Dawn Timan
I did enjoy this book but it was kinda blah - not much in the way of tension between Elizabeth and Darcy.
Jeanie King
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was fun book with a different outcome for the Bennett family as well as Elizabeth. This answers a "what if"!!
Michelle
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

A rather interesting variation inspired by author Jane Austen’s classic novel Pride and Prejudice by Don. H. Miller. Interesting premise and I enjoyed the story.
Katie
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
Meh. Not enough actual plot or conflict to make for an interesting resolution. Needed an editor.
Tonia Thornburgh
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Exciting variation

I was looking forward to reading this alternative story. Without giving away any plot I appreciate the author delving into the lives of the other sisters and characters. It was a good read and if you enjoy Jane Austen fan fiction I think you will like this one. I did.
Shaina Greer-Short
rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2021

• Determination: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Consequence & Consequences: "Ooops" A Regency Romance inspired by P&P
  • Lovers' Meeting: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • NO, Mr Darcy: A Regency Romance inspired by P&P
  • Forget Me Not, Elizabeth (Mysteries & Matrimony, #4)
  • The Kidnapping of Elizabeth Bennet: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • All That This Entails
  • Married in Haste: A Pride and Prejudice Reimagining
  • Equal Affection: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Dangerous Magic: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Mr. Darcy's Magic #1)
Don H. Miller was born and grew up in Iowa, went to the University of North Carolina where he received a degree in Mathematics, spent three years as a U.S. Navy officer, got a Ph.D. in Mathematical Statistics from the University of Chicago, spent three years as a college professor, and then spent the rest of his working career as a research scientist working in various fields including naval opera ...more

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...