Start by marking “The Pirate Meets the Queen” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Meets the Queen

The Pirate Meets the Queen

Although a woman, Granny O'Malley becomes the captain of her own pirate ship and plunders every English merchant ship that she can. But the Queen of England aims to put a stop to it. When she imprisons Granny's son, the pirate and the Queen come face to face. Full color.
Published May 19th 2005 by Philomel (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Meets the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Meets the Queen

Kristen
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We chose this book for our fifth grade Battle of the Books at our public library, and it became a favorite of the kids. The writing and illustrations are excellent, and the author was amazing when he spoke to the kids. Love this one!
Dana
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Love that she's Irish!
Esther Jones
This exciting tale tells the story of the real life Pirate Queen Grace O'Malley who was a feared corsair all her life and respected by everyone she met – even Queen Elizabeth! Born in Ireland in the 1500's, Grace quickly carved out a reputation for herself that was unmatched in that part of the world for centuries. Young readers will delight in the captivating true story paired with stunning illustrations that bring to life the seas of 16th century Ireland in vivid detail.

I've loved this book ev
Kathleen
Tale of Irish Pirate Queen Granny, or Granuaile (grahn-wale-eh), O'Malley (aka Grace O'Malley) and her efforts to rescue her son, Toby, from the English. She travels to London to meet the Red Queen, Elizabeth I, to negotiate for his freedom. A timely find as one of our local high schools is currently performing a musical, The Pirate Queen, based on this story.
Kami
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story was awesome, but yet the telling of it felt flat. And the illustrations were meh. My kids a read it and liked it though.
Isabel L
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kat
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture-books
Basic Plot: The true story of pirate Granny O'Malley and her meeting with Queen Elizabeth.

What's not to like in this book? We have a feisty Irish woman, unwilling to give up her freedom and her pirate ship for a poor husband. She finds happiness on the sea and eventually finds a good husband. Her son turns out to be just as feisty as she, then gets himself captured. Granny heads to England to talk to the queen and get her to release her boy, then returns to piracy (but not English ships, because
Shelli
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastically illustrated work of historical fiction with a bit of Irish blarney mixed in. Granny O’Malley is not your typical girl and becomes an even less typical woman when she becomes captain of her own pirate ship, robbing the English merchant ships that are unfortunate enough to pass by. In doing so O’Malley has made an enemy with Queen Elizabeth, a person who later may hold all that is valuable to O’Malley in her royal hands.
Mimi
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of the few picture books that I've read recently that I actually wanted to own. This is a longer book, more a picture storybook, but it's about Grace O'Malley, and the illustrations are brilliant. So is the language.
Kristy Mcghee
Good for 5th grade! Illustrations are awesome. Really tells the story and correlates well. Children can retell story using pictures only or create own story by telling it using pictures and technique used by illustrator
Paula

When the son of notorious Irish pirate queen Granny O'Malley is captured by the English, Granny tries to meet with Queen Elizabeth I to negotiate for his freedom.
Lillian
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Michael
I thought pirates were only boys until I read this book. I thought it was a really good book.
Steve
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The amazing storyof Granuaile O'Malley, pirate in the Irish sea, who met Queen Elizabeth to free her son. A story of a brave and valiant woman in the 1500s.
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Based (though exaggerated)on the true story of an Irish woman pirate called Granny who held an audience with Queen Elizabeth of England
Kim
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
revisted this book today - it's an old favorite. The artwork is such a great compliment to the storyline, and I love the expressive qualities of the characters.
Lizzie
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
An Irish lady pirate!
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved it all... until she didn't keep her word at the end. BUT.. since it was historical fiction, I'll let it slide!
Scslowerschoollibrary
Mary
Jun 14, 2012
Amber
Mar 12, 2009
Matt is married to author and children’s librarian, Kris Remenar, and lives with their children in Michigan.