Start by marking “Lockdown Hair” as Want to Read:
Lockdown Hair

Lockdown Hair

Uh oh! Siona's family needs her help!

Siona is worried about her mum going back to work at her hair salon while a dangerous virus is on the loose, making so many people sick! Siona decides to do something to help her mum cut hair and stay safe at the same time. She comes up with some creative and ingenious solutions, but will they work?

This fully-illustrated children's book
Expected publication: March 2nd 2021 by Canoe Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Lockdown Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lockdown Hair

Start your review of Lockdown Hair
RoshReviews
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute little book with plenty of hilarious moments.

Siona is worried about her mother going back to work at her hair salon. At the same time, she also sees her grandmother's wild hair on a video call and realises that hair cuts are needed while her mum needs to maintain safety too. So she comes up with some clever little solutions to help her mum and the salon clients.

The book isn't too serious and it will help children find some light moments in the pandemic. It teaches them the importa
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Canoe Tree Press and Linda Steinbock for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars

I'd read reviews of people saying this was rather funny so I wanted to give it a shot because, these days, we could all use a little humour. But I'd started it and a few pages in I was getting a little worried because it was more on the serious side. But about half way through, I was laughing. It was so cute and adorable, the only way a little kid can be when trying to t
Literary Redhead
Such a charming book about weird hair during COVID, and one stylist’s creative social distancing ideas for her salon. Told from the POV of her darling daughter. Will give chuckles and joy to any reader, child or adult!

5 of 5 Stars

Pub Date 02 Mar 2021
#LockdownHair #NetGalley

Thanks to the author, Canoe Tree Press, and NetGalley for the ARC. Opinions are mine.
Rebecca Crunden
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Pandemic books for kids is definitely going to be a thing after this last year. I mean, I grew up with environmental warning books like The Wump World, so that's not surprising. As I'm sure you guess going off the cute cover, this one has a great message and focuses on being safe and oh my gosh, it is ADORBS.

Who doesn't love a book about staying safe in lockdown with a quote at the end by Greta Thunberg? This is seriously so sweet. The plot follows a young girl trying to come up with inventive
Andrea Pole
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Lockdown Hair by Linda Steinbock offers a humorous and charming look at the way in which real families, particularly children, are affected by lockdown restrictions. While undeniably entertaining, the book will also serve as a conversation starter for families to address the many ways in which Covid has altered all of our lives, and provide some constructive solutions for children to channel their energy and creativity into something fun and positive. The illustrations are sure to raise some smi ...more
Kate
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was a perfect mixture of levity for the covid19 pandemic and what it’s like for hair salons. The illustrations are beautiful and add to the humor. This is the kind of book we all need to read right now!
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Lockdown Hair is a very bright, vibrant, and cute read. I must admit I laughed out loud at the idea of using a leaf blower as a blow dryer. This book would be perfect for the child in your life with a bright imagination and sense of humor. This would be a great read for parents to explain social distancing. The watercolors are bright and cheerful. This was a very fun read.

*&thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the e-ARC I received**
Alannah Clarke
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
Thank you to netgalley.co.uk for giving me a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is a lovely book with beautiful illustrations, I would definitely give this to read with a young child to help explain the coronavirus pandemic and those businesses affected by them, especially hairdressers. It held a touch of humour which I resonated with, after watching my hairdresser talk about hair disasters that clients had while trying to sort their hair during lockdown.
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about explaining how to keep safe from Covid, while still being a hairdresser.

It is written from a child's point of view, so some of her methods are a little impractical, but they are funny, and add a light touch to an otherwise depressing subject.

For example, to wash hair, she has her mother stand two meters apart, and throw a bucket of water at her clients head. To comb hair, she thinks her mother could use a rake with a long handle.

It is a light touch to someting that is q
Frosta Wings It
This is a book about a girl trying to adjust to life during a pandemic. I work with children and I can honestly say that this book ticked all the boxes. I have been waiting for a book that addresses the pandemic and life changes and Linda did it BEAUTIFULLY!

Siona is a very relatable character and represents the beauty and simplicity of children’s thinking. This book seamlessly talks about changes we all have experienced: Moving relationships online, wearing masks, physically distancing, losing o
Anne
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
We all have it: the lockdown hair! This is a lovely book about the Corona pandemic and its impact on society. It does a very good job of explaining the situation to children and which safety measures have to be followed. Little Siona, who is stuck in lockdown with her family, comes up with great ideas so her mom could continue her hairdressing job. The story gives hope that everything is always a matter of perspective and creativity is key when confronted with problems. All the illustrations are ...more
Mary
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a great story and so timely! This is one of those books that parents will be happy to read to their children as it discusses a common issue that’s relative to pretty much everyone-our hair. It’ll resonate easily with kids as the author gets right to the heart of the subject matter. The way she writes about having goofy hair will give kids a giggle or two. And the discussion questions at the end are ingenious as well as helpful.
I received an advanced reader copy for free from NetGalley and
Kate
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story & wonderfully illustrated. A lovely family story to read together . Funny & ignites creativity .
Jenny Hobson
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thanks to netgalley for a review copy. A sweet story of a child who’s worried about her mom going back to work after lockdown. She invents creative ways to keep her mom safe from COVID-19. For use with children whose parents are essential workers. Ages 5-8.
Alexandra
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, arcs
*Thanks to NetGalley for the E-ARC*
This was an adorable read! Highly recommend it for children, especially during Covid. The basis of the book was that Siona is concerned for her mother’s hair salon eventually reopening and is brainstorming ways her mother can be safe and distant from her customers. It is an adorable story and would be great to read to children.
Now I gave this 5 stars because the story was adorable, but mostly because the artwork was so beautiful! The artwork is breathtaking
Meneniareads
Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Free ARC from Netgalley.

We all have it: lockdown hair. Corona hair. Covid19 hair. This children's book tells about the pandemic and the importance of lockdown.

The start is too long with too much teachings about the pandemic, but the children part towards the end is really cute and creative!
Kimberly
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This story is adorable. It has funny moments, but it also helps address some real fears our children are having during this pandemic right now. It also teaches creativity, to think outside of the box, and that even when they are young, they can make a difference. It’s a very cute story!

Thank you Net Galley and the publisher for this digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.

#LockdownHair #NetGalley
Melissa
Artistically illustrated children’s book that teaches one girl’s methods for helping her beautician mother observe COVID-19 safety measures in the beauty shop after lockdown. Great for parents and teachers to teach positivity in times of world-wide medical emergencies.
Nikki
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
Lockdown Hair was an adorable and humorous story about a girl’s solutions to her worries about her mother returning to her hair salon during the pandemic. Her inventions are meant to be funny as they follow the safety measures and guidelines that I think were addressed appropriately for children throughout the book. Discussing the guidelines and safety measures with proper terms like social distancing, wearing gloves & masks and visually showing those practices in actions through illustrations m ...more
Julia Leslie
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
~ Thanks to NetGalley and Bound to Canoe Tree Press for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review ~

Harmless fun that I think both parents and children would have fun reading. Although I have to say I'm glad my hair won't be styled this way! The main issue I've had when reading material aimed at children regarding Covid is that there's a fine line between explaining something and being condescending. I think that "Lockdown Hair" is one of the better examples of how to balance such
Carolyn B
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Heidi
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a funny and charming book to help us all look at lockdown with a little humor. My daughter is 8 and thought it was a fun read. She liked the yard tools and laughed out loud. The images are nicely done and the topic is current.
I loved this children's book about the COVID-19 pandemic. It addresses many of the issues we face living in lockdown or under quarantine. Siona misses her grandmother, and after speaking with her on a video call, she realizes that people suffer from "lockdown hair" since all the salons are closed. Her mother is a hairdresser, so Siona gets to work on a plan that would allow her mother to safely cut people's hair during the pandemic.

The book has many lessons, and at the end, it includes some disc
Jen
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a cute way to talk to kids about the need for safety and social distancing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The dialogue between the characters seems a bit forced in the beginning of the book, but once Siona starts inventing ways for her mom to help clients at the salon, the writing flows a lot better and kids will become more engaged due to the silly suggestions. The watercolor illustrations definitely added to the story. The "discussion and comprehension" page at the back of the book was ...more
Oleg Rikshpun

• Why is Mommy Crying? Explaining Early Pregnancy Loss to Young Children
  • Mouse Music
  • Theo's Princess
  • Big and Little
  • The Little Grave (Detective Amanda Steele #1)
  • The Girl in the Missing Poster
  • The Vault (DI Eleanor Raven, #2)
  • My Hair is a Garden
  • The Very Bad Bunny
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • Magic in the Attic: A Button and Squeaky Adventure
  • The Missing Woman
  • Breathe Deep, Little Sheep: A Calm-Down Book for Kids
  • The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family
  • Postcards from a War
Linda Steinbock is a humanitarian aid worker and children's book author of Swedish and Malay-Singaporean descent. Working for an NGO led her to research how children are affected by crisis. But it was while quarantined in Singapore that Linda came up with the idea of a children's picture book that illustrates how the power of human connection can overcome adversity, and how even distanced relation ...more