Start by marking “The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life” as Want to Read:

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,313 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
A hard-hitting and no-holds-barred broadside from the anchorman of the Fox News Channel's The O'Reilly Factor--what's good about America (plenty), what's bad(plenty still), and what's completely ridiculous (most everything else).

Every night on the Fox News Channel, Bill O'Reilly tells it like it is. The O'Reilly Factor is the fastest-growing cable news program--and that's
Published September 12th 2000 by Crown Archetype (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The O'Reilly Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The O'Reilly Factor

Mariam
Feb 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The entirety of the male species is sex starved! They are no more than a bunch of horny bastards, according to Bill O’Reilly’s Sex Factor. Men think of “NOTHING” but sex and rightly so because that’s just the way they are – sex starved monsters. “If we aren’t having sex on a daily basis, we are thinking about it all the time. I mean, all the time” (p.29)… “Women to men are just sex objects and no matter what a man says to you ladies, he is lying. He just wants to sleep with you”!!!!

Papa Bill has
Sean
Jan 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: socio-cultural
I read this one on a bit of a dare to myself, to check out something I usually wouldn't get near. You may be able to tell that Mr. O'Reilly isn't really 'my cuppa'.

My father (who likes Bill a *lot* and is a regular Fox News viewer) owns this book and I found it while staying at the folks' place.

It seems to be pretty much what you get on O'Reilly's TV program. He stresses his "working class" Irish-Catholic roots, charts his rise through various network news jobs and of course, tells the reader wh
Jonathan
Sep 24, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the dead of winter, with no TV, no internet, no sunshine to brighten my life, I turned to Bill O'Reilly to warm my cold, lonely nights. I read this book mostly because I wanted to challenge myself, to see if I could read his entire book without vomiting. I succeeded in finishing this book and not becoming violently ill. The only side effect was the nightmares, nightmares about intolerable, insensitive individuals who pollute and inhibit sensible dialogue. Individuals like Mr O'Reilly.
Francis Berger
Sep 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I don't why the heck I read this. I must have been in an extremely masochistic mood when I checked it out from the local library. If subjecting myself to pain was my ultimate goal that afternoon, this book certainly did not disappoint. It was painful to read all the way through.

This book is even more painful than his t.v. show. On television O'Reilly is able to mask his vast stupidity by raising his voice and screaming at everyone and everything within a two-mile radius of his anc
Steph (loves water)
Sigh. Mr. O'Reilly is an extremely intelligent man and a decent writer. He is definately *not* my cup of tea and I rarely watch his show. That said, I did find myself, much to my horror, agreeing with him on the class situation in the U.S. I did not agree with his stance on drug addiction and alcoholism (as an Irish-American, he outght to know better!)

His views on children and discipline seem reactionary. I've often wondered if his daughter, who was an infant at the time the book was written, e
Mitch
Jan 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
His books read like they were taken straight from a transcript of his show, with little editing or addition.

I don't mean that as a compliment either.

This guy seemed so fresh when he first started out with the "no spin zone" now it seems that instead of "fair and balanced" he (and the rest of his station) try to provide a balance.

Anyway, I would probably try to read another one if they were actually written instead of cobbled together from his on air transcript material. This kind of 'book' is j
Miranda Davis
Please, someone, neuter this man. It will calm him down and make him less vicious, ask any veterinarian.
Mr. O'Reilly himself is one of the worst, completely ridiculous things in American life today. I read this as a library book, looking for laughs and not being willing to underwrite his special, rabid brand of fiction. How can I explain this man's point of view: think Karl Rove after being bitten by a foaming-at-the-mouth skunk.
Katie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I definitely don't think O'Reilly should be giving me advice on child-rearing, marriage, DATING! EEeek! but I agreed with him on some subjects: race, politics, money, etc. I was not impressed by his attempts at being funny and I did not find this very stimulating at all. I will still watch him interrupt people on TV. He is much more entertaining as a TV host.
Linda
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf
I don't think I would care for Mr. O'Reilly very much, and I certainly don't agree with all he says, but he certainly makes me think, and I do enjoy his writing.
Curtis
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had heard enough soundbytes of Bill O'Reilly spouting off to have a very negative impression, but when I found this audiobook used, for a dollar, I thought I would give him a fair try. At first, I found myself agreeing with so many of the values and beliefs he stated, and was surprised to hear him rant as much about the rich, corporate power-mongers as Hilary Clinton. But this was written in 2000, just before the Bush/Gore election, and perhaps he had not made the transition fully to the dark ...more
Jeannie
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, maybe because I agree with O'Reilly's value system...there are a few points I took a "whoa point of view", but I have to agree with the majority of basic principles of honor, honesty, understanding and loyalty that resonated with me. His parenting chapter was spot on!

I would like an update of this book since it was written in 2000 to see what changes have taken place in his mind-sight if any. (Maybe "Patriots and Pinheads" will fulfill that request.

Why did I read this book?
Philip Boling
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in American politics
Easy read, and fairly frequently I read something I appreciated.

75% of all physical abuse against helpless little kids is committed by inebriated adults... Alcohol is involved in fully half of all murders, accidental deaths, and suicides in the United States and in almost half of all fatal car accidents... pg 58
...drug testing is possible now for about a dollar a test... "in" Alabama ... All prisoners are now tested as soon as they are booked. The majority -no surprise- have drugs or alcohol in
Brendan
Jun 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. He's a cranky old guy who believes earnest garbage like 'this country was great a generation ago.' He's the rich white uncle who worked hard, made a ton of mistakes, recounts them here and now feels privileged to look down on the needy. Jackass? You bet, and proud of it. He espouses the retro-corrected mush of 'Leave it to Beaver' and its ilk as being authentic portrayals of American values.

O'Reilly also has the #1 rated opinion program on a "news" network; not to be confused with a news
Linda
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've never watched Fox News nor (until this book) did I know anything about Bill O'Reilly. I enjoyed the historical context of his books The Killing of Patton and The Killing of Jesus and still would like to read Killing Lincoln. With that in mind I picked up the O'Reilly Factor at the local library, just to get a look into the person of Bill O'Reilly himself. Written 14 years ago, it was interesting to see that O'Reilly had strong thoughts about the Clintons and Donald Trump even then. The book ...more
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was under the impression this would be a read about Mr. O'Reilly's views of American Life-I was wrong. This was, primarily, a book about Mr. O'Reilly's life and experiences. Parts were interesting and mildly entertaining, but most of it was a snooze fest into O'Reilly egomania. If you wish to know many boring details from Mr. O'Reilly's childhood and job history experiences, with him acting like a jackass most of the way, this is definitely the book for you.
Christopher
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love or Hate the man he speaks the truth as he sees it and I give him a lot of credit for that. This book was excellent though I may not agree with everything the man says he does it with a passion for his views. The book was a good read and well worth taking a look at. O'Reilly gives you what he deems worthy of sharing and I liked that about the book.
Luaba
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: society
This month, I endeavour to read books by others I do not share ideology with, and Bill O'Reilly was my first one. It was a difficult book for me to get through, it seemed that the author was just writing things to be provocative for shock value only.

Simply disappointing.
Gpsz
Jan 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Me, me, me, me, me. If you like that sort of thing.
Gabriel Miller
To be fair, this book has the Good, the Bad and the Ridiculous. When I say that, I mean the author's views more so than issues he was talking about when he wrote this. The United States of America has always had triumphs, failures and stupidity. I didn't really care too much about the topics he was talking about as much as his response to them and his worldview. I read this book to discover his view of life and politics. So what did I think?

The Good: Bill O'Reilly does not shy away from being tr
Ethan
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is about Bill O’Reilly’s opinions of America. Bill discusses race, class, sex, politics, etc. in his book. Bill writes that “ The class system as related to race plays a role”. This is where I disagree with Bill. O’reilly thinks that your race will determine how much money you will make if you're in the middle class. He also feels that whatever class you’re born into, will be the class you remain in. But the book is alright but overall we did not like it he does speak some truth about s ...more
Jason
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Chad
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Kimberly
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is clearly a bit dated when it comes to some references, I think the overall principles behind the book have value and insight to American society and definitely kept me reading. I may not agree with all of it, especially with opinions on those in the entertainment industry, but overall I found it worth reading.
Clair High
Mar 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Gaaaaaarbaaaaaage
Alan Hoffman
Reading this book eight years after it was published (before 9/11) gives it an interesting perspective. Here and there he makes a point. Also, sometimes he says things that are surprising, like complimenting Susan Sarandon on her charitable work. Would his forced drug treatment idea he suggests in Chapter 5 work? I’m curious to ask someone who would know more about it.

His first chapter discusses feelings of inadequacy he developed toward people of higher economic and social classes as he grew up
Joseph Bruno
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The O’Reilly Factor,” written by Bill O’Reilly in 2000, is the second in a list of books he’s written, since he began his Fox News nightly show, which now has become the most viewed show on cable television. The first book he wrote was called The No Spin Zone, which he penned a year earlier.

In “The O’Reilly Factor,” O’Reilly is his old irascible self ( writing with wit) twenty chapters on various subjects like “The Class Factor,” “The Money Factor,” “The Sex Factor,” and “The Ridiculous Factor.
Rob
When I came across Bill O’Reilly’s The O’Reilly Factor, I decided to give it a shot. The book wasn’t that long, and O’Reilly talks about politics on his show of the same name. I thought maybe I’d get some insight on how things work in Washington, D.C., and I’d be broadening my horizons as I’m not a fan of Fox News.

Instead, except for some potshots at President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton (and others, including Republicans), the book offers O’Reilly’s view on . . . well, a lot. And that’s OK
Kevin Kirkhoff
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: societal
Although I don't agree with all of O'Reilly views, he makes some compelling arguments. Best of all, he backs up his discussions with facts. You can debate the type of solution to a problem, but he'll have you agreeing that there IS a problem. I love his TV show (The O'Relly Factor), and his book is written in much the same vein. This book is very easy to read. He writes about various "factors" that affect our country and it's inhabitants. His topics (chapters) include Class, Money, Sex, Media, S ...more
Steve
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love him or hate him, the book was typical "Bill O'Reilly". Pompous, outspoken and perhaps in love with himself? I give O'Reilly credit for his book writing skills but he comes across in some of his books as an Ann Landers or a know it all. Seems like Bill is married with a daughter, but doesn't comment on either one of his family as much as he does in some books about his parents and upbringing. This book was very critical and demeaning of former president, Bill Clinton which grew a bit stale t ...more
Brad H
Sep 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes the O'Reilly show
I learned a lot about Mr. O'Reilly. At times i think this book is interesting, and even motivating to get involved. At other times, i feel like i was just reading complaints or shallow insults about others. I think his style is good and I appreciate the straight shooting from Bill, just keep in mind that its from Bill, so it may not align with what i would call accurate shooting on every topic.
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right
  • See, I Told You So
  • Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Churches, Schools, and Military
  • The Real America: Messages from the Heart and Heartland
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America
  • Arrogance: Rescuing America From The Media Elite
  • America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag
  • Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity
  • Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract With America
  • Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media...
Bill O'Reilly's success in broadcasting and publishing is unmatched. The iconic anchor of The O'Reilly Factor led the program to the status of the highest rated cable news broadcast in the nation for sixteen consecutive years. His website BillOReilly.com is followed by millions all over the world.

In addition, he has authored an astonishing 12 number one ranked non-fiction books including the histo
More about Bill O'Reilly

• Just Another Kid
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
    $8.73 $1.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99