Start by marking “Vote for Larry (Gospel According to Larry, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vote for Larry (Gospel According to Larry, #2)

Vote for Larry

(Gospel According to Larry #2)

Larry's Back. And this time he's getting political...
Instructions: Place a cross in the square opposite your choice of candidate for President of the United States of America.
(x) Cult teenage hero who makes miraculous return from the dead!1
(x) Seventeen-year-old boy adored by two equally beautiful women2
(x) Young campaigner with crazed middle-aged stalker3
(x) Voice of Ame
222 pages
Published (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Vote for Larry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vote for Larry

Mr.G
Sep 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Josh Swensen, whose dream has always been to make the world a better place, decides to run for President. After successfully building a movement to amend the Constitution's presidential age requirement, Josh begins his campaign in earnest. Author Tashjian places him as a third party progressive candidate running against Bush and Kerry in the 2004 election. The mixture of teen drama, youthful idealism, and national politics made this a unique and wonderful book. I wish every 8th grader would read ...more
Kelley
Dredging the archives of my old YA blog--from back in the day when I was a YA para-librarian. Awesome!

Vote for Larry, the sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, is the tale of Larry’s run for President. I can’t reveal too much about it because it would give away a lot that happens in the first book. But I can say that one of my favorite things about the book is how current it is—the issues are practically up to the minute, the election Larry runs in is mirrored on our current presidential elec
Fred Kirchner
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
I read The Gospel According to Larry a few months ago, never aware that there were not one--but two!--sequels to one of my favorite teen novels I've read this year. The Gospel According to Larry ends--(spoiler alert!)--with the protagonist's pseudocide, so I wasn't thinking a sequel would be in the works, but lo and behold, here comes: Vote for Larry!

After faking his own death, Larry (Josh) Swensen surfaces in Boudler, CO. He's going by the name of Mark and has a nifty girlfriend and some alarm
George Brunk
Personal Response

Personally I thought that Vote for Larry is a very confusing book. The book is set for a very political view. This book involves a lot of voting and reasoning as to why things are happening. I feel like this book is set for more of a class officer role in a high school. I also did not know Vote for Larry was a second book to a series and it is probably why it was so confusing to me, so make sure you read the first one.

Plot Summary

Josh is making headlines. When one of his re
Kelly
Apr 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I wish there were more Larrys in the world -- passionate teens (heck PEOPLE) dedicated to making the world a better place to live. In Janet Tashjian's sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, Josh Swenson (a.k.a. Larry) returns after having faked his own death to run for president. He is pitted against Kerry and Bush in the 2004 election, running on the Peace party platform. As a teen who will be voting for the first time, his goal isn't to win the presidency, but instead to inspire young citize ...more
Hillary Neumann
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know this book was a follow up to a book that came first in the series, but it gives enough background about what happened in the first book for me to read it on its own (I still want to go back and read the first book, though). I’m not really into politics, but I thought this was a very interesting read and I really enjoyed it. This book explores more of the emotions that the characters involved felt about what was happening politically, not just the actual politics that were happening ...more
Phi H.
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I believe Vote for Larry is a very good sequel to The Gospel According to Larry. With his return from his masterful stunt to disappear from the public eye, thanks to an unexpected meeting with a former friend. He (as you may have guessed from the title of the book) runs to become not just a state representative, but the president of the US, all in his endeavors to make the world a better place - the same reason why he made his oh-so-popular website.

There were returning and also new characters a
mahima
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: aspiring activists
Vote for Larry: Going Political

Larry wants to change the world. I want(ed) to change the world too but then I realised I was being naive what with all the obstacles around me - there were way too many for me to jump on the political wagon. So apart from signing online petitions and giving my two cents to whatever discussion we were having about the latest headlines in class, I buried my dreams of working in the UN, helping my country move on and actually help people, making sure those millennium
Daniel Riddle
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It was all about change and starting a movement. Their are betrayals and lies. The characters develop an interesting and eventually gets some action in the plot. It was not my favorite book by far. But if someone will need a book, then I will recommend it.
Danie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is good for making you feel like changing the world
Alessandra
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was supposed to be a mini-review, because I thought I didn't have much to say about this book. While writing the post, however, I realized something that bothered me, and the mini-review became a full-fledged one.

Spoiler alert: there's no way of summarizing the plot for the second installment in the Larry series without spoilering the ending of The Gospel According to Larry. Read at your own risk!

Josh Swensen, aka Larry, is back. After committing "pseudocide", that is killing his alter ego
Navanita Nayak
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Larry wants to change the world.
The Gospel according to Larry was all about anti-consumerism,Tashjian mentioned Larry as a third party politician after the Versus between the other two parties.
We can also see all of hilarious solutions that Larry would act on if he becomes the PRESIDENT.There was even a hot little mention of CHEERLEADERS.
Tashjian made the read so powerful and hooking.I would suggest 15 to 25 ages must go for this .
Caitlin
I'm wavering between 3 and 4 stars on the Larry series. I don't know that I really like them but I really do enjoy them. 3.5 stars, I guess.

What annoyed me: many too many footnotes in the beginning; when Josh thought it would be okay to dress as (his interpretation of) a Native American while giving his first campaign speech about the Boston Tea Party (cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation, even in context); that Josh actually said something about "taking back" the country; and lastly
Louis
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is a sequel to "The Gospel according to Larry". Set during the election of 2004, Tashjian slides in many statistics about the current inequities in our election system and the lack of influence of the everyday citizen. Larry comes back after his pseudocide, and becomes a presidential candidate with the Peace Party. The story has a lot of positive developments and good new characters since "The Gospel".

On the negative side, it is one setback after another by some mysterious nemesis. Af
Emma
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jill
I just spent the last four hours reading this book... it was absolutely incredible. Personally, I thought this book was better than the previous one. However, for people uninterested in politics (that's right folks: Politics), this novel is probably a little gory. This one pokes fun at our previous administration (my personal favorite is at the presidential debate where he [Josh/Larry:] knocks the socks off George W. Bush, who happens to have toilet paper stuck to his shoe) and includes a huge a ...more
Chelsea  Applegate
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-13-25
After the book Gospel According to Larry, Josh Swensen finds himself in a paranoid state of no return. That is, until he’s kidnapped and coaxed into resurfacing as Larry, his old activist persona. Before long, Larry is back on the scene with much more on his mind than anti-consumerism—this time, he wants to affect change in government. And Larry isn’t taking a conventional path or starting small in local government. He just doesn’t do things halfway. But can he really become an eighteen-year-old ...more
Abraham
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, resist
It's a ridiculous book, but it inspired my friend when she was young. She suggested I read it, too. A lot of what's in this book reminded me of the effect the Bernie Sanders campaign had on me. When Bernie spoke about the rigged campaign finance system and about using government money for things like universal health care instead of war, a lightning shot through me like I'd never felt. I can imagine that's how my friend felt reading this book in middle school.

Probably the most exciting and dang
Pyrate Queen
A sequel to "The Gospel According to Larry", this story focuses on the Josh/Larry who is now living in Colorado under the name of Mark. Still trying to keep a low profile after being exposed, Josh nonetheless tries to keep contact with his past through anonymous phone calls to Beth.

After Beth puts two-and-two together, she flies to Colorado, kidnaps Josh and drives him back to their East Coast town. Along the way, she convinces him to come out of hiding, embrace "Larry" once again and run for p
Kristen
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I swear, I had to keep checking the pub date as I read. 2004? Doesn't this sound like today?
"The headlines were full of one horrifying piece of news after another. War, cutbacks, terrorism, states of alert, secret government meetings, citizens' rights being violated - the list went on and on. How had we gone from a country of peace and prosperity to one of such deep-rooted anxiety and panic? Were these feelings warranted, or was our government bombarding us with so much horrible news that no one
Abby
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
N and I started listening to this on audio on our last trip to NYC -- I hadn't realized it was a sequel, but we were quickly drawn into the story of a bright, politically engaged young social critic who decides to take on the establishment and run for president. The fact that Jesse Eisenberg was narrating definitely helped, but N is always a sucker for political strategy stories! Had to order the book from the library to finish, but both N and I were hooked enough to want to know how it ended. A ...more
Emily
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
the way he takes on the world without stopping is very inspiring, and his grief is also so real and depicted so well that it's really beautiful. he has such a stronger personality, yet he is in some ways still a child. this book would really help anyone dealing with grief. there's this one line, when he goes into the hole, and he is thinking about when he was building the hole... it's so simply stated, but so beautiful.

"I came into the hole right after my mom died, and when I finally came out,
Dan
Mar 26, 2009 added it
I thought this book was not bad but kinda dissapointed in the ending to it. Josh Swenson (Larry) was a young guy who faked a seuicide and tried to hide in colorado. But later when he has to go up against the press and show who he really is, thats what will haunt him, especially if you have to be in the running for being the president. His goals were good which I thought was good. to others it may be a little bit boring. But you need to remember that this book was meant for young adults and they ...more
Ashley
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
After "The Gospel According to Larry," I looked forward to a sequel, and when I finally found a copy I was ecstatic. What ruined the book for me was the lack of realism that permeated the first book. It became very much apparent that Larry is fictional, and that his world is only a symbolic approximation of ours. There's still truth and good storytelling, but Tashjian loses the feeling of "oh man, I can do that!"
Jackie "the Librarian"
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 12 and up
Shelves: youngadult
In this sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, Josh comes out from hiding after faking his death, and decides to get reinvolved in all the issues that are so important to him. He decides to run for president, and just like with his website, things snowball into something huge.
I loved all the stuff about elections, but I thought the threat from betagold was over the top and unbelievable. It didn't keep me from enjoying the story. I would gladly read more of the adventures of Larry.
Jen
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
I tried, i really did. And while it was good to tie up a few loose ends from the ending of the first book, I found myself skipping to the end to wrap it up. Again, some language. (I find myself less and less tolerant of it) and WOW a lot of philosophy. This time about politics. Maybe I'm jaded, but I just couldn't take it. There's a third book, but I don't think I will partake.
Jeff Raymond
Sequel to The Gospel According to Larry, which was about this web celebrity who gets fame and fortune by convincing people to live anti-consumerist hippie lives. The sequel has him running for President at age 18 in the 2004 race. It's amazingly preachy, but still a decent and fun read, especially with the concept of him struggling with his principles against some pretty crazy odds.
Stephanie
Mar 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I am continually amazed at how Tashjian can be so didactic and yet so fun. I enjoyed The Gospel According to Larry more than this follow-up, but it was still a fun book with quite a bit to say about today's society and the current state of politics in the US. If you really enjoyed The Gospel it's worth your time.
Jenn
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-dog-ate-it
Maybe I should have read the first book. I understood the premise of this book - everyone should vote and give a crap about the issues of today. I just couldn't believe the premise that an 18 year old kid could run fir president, change the laws and gave debates with Mr. Bush. Crazy and somewhat pointless.
Sophia
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suggestions
Not bad. Not snazztastic. But then again, definitely not my usual type of book. Kind of strange. Kind of normal. There was mystery, politics, crazy ideas, and a whole bunch of stuff mixed in in a non-overwhelming way. Some insane ideas. Some practical. Some the right kind of crazy. This was an interesting, fast, read.
Lori
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults & fans of Jesse Eisenberg
Recommended to Lori by: I already listened to the first in the series.
This is a sequel to The Gospel According to Larry and I enjoyed it just as much as the first one. Jesse Eisenberg was an excellent choice to read this book and he really gave an excellent portayal of the main character. All the characters are clearly defined, and there were some twists in the plot that I did not see coming.
  • Full Service
  • Far From Home
  • After the Wreck, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away
  • In the Shadow of the Ark
  • Holdup
  • Scrivener's Moon (Fever Crumb, #3)
  • Dishes
  • Somebody
  • Death Coming Up the Hill
  • The Lightkeeper's Daughter
  • Skipped
  • Harlem Stomp!: A Cultural History of the Harlem Renaissance
  • Beanball
  • Darby
Janet Tashjian is a middle-grade and young adult novelist who’s been writing books for children for fifteen years. Her first novel Tru Confessions was made into a critically acclaimed Disney TV movie starring Clara Bryant and Shia LaBeouf. The Gospel According to Larry is a cult favorite and Fault Line is taught in many middle and high schools. Her novels My Life As a Book, My Life As a Stuntboy, ...more

Gospel According to Larry (3 books)
  • The Gospel According to Larry (Gospel According to Larry, #1)
  • Larry and the Meaning of Life (Gospel According to Larry, #3)