Start by marking “In the Orbit of Sirens” as Want to Read:
In the Orbit of Sirens

In the Orbit of Sirens

THE LAST FRAGMENTS OF THE HUMAN RACE ARE FORCED TO ADAPT TO A DANGEROUS NEW WORLD OR FACE EXTINCTION.

When starship mechanic, Denton Castus, is caught in the destructive path of a devastating war, he abandons his home and seeks refuge on a distant planet. However, this new safe haven has undiscovered threats of its own. Eliana Veston, a scout preparing the planet for the re
Hardcover, first edition
Published February 2021 by Tom Bruno Author (first published October 4th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about In the Orbit of Sirens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Orbit of Sirens

Start your review of In the Orbit of Sirens
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

So flipping amazing! Among the best books I've ever read!

In the Orbit of Sirens just received the B.A.A.G Medallion Honoree Award, and it is so very well deserved. This novel ranks among the best I have ever read - It just blew me away! Not only is it an amazing Sci-Fi story that brims with action, but it also includes a great cast of characters to get invested in as they develop over time and additionally, Bruno’s imaginative settings are otherworldly stunning and most vividly descriptive.
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Full review and graphics can be found on my blog at

This is a sci-fi adventure novel with excellent plot and world building, plenty of action, and a classic sci-fi feel! This is one of those independently published gems that I think deserves all the exposure in the world! From the cover to the internal illustrations, section titles, dual timelines, and storylines for days, this is definitely one to check out

The Plot & Story: There is a lot going on in this
Ollie Bowdoin
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Easily 4 stars. Full review posting today!

Full review:

I was interested in reading this going back to late last year when I noticed the author promoting it somewhere, and the coverage grabbed be right away. I did buy myself a copy, but didn’t get the chance to read it until now. When Storytellers On Tour announced an event with T.A. I was onboard.

This is probably the only time in my life that procrastination has done me a favor, as waiting as long as I did, gave me the opportunity to pickup the n
Justin
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I first learned about In the Orbit of Sirens when I saw the cover floating around on social media several months ago, and what a cover it is! Something needs to be said for not only the cover, but the artwork that appears before each section of the book. The handful of black and white drawings fully realize the beautiful, yet utterly alien environment of Kamaria. They also hearken back to the early days of the book, where Bruno
Jonathan Nevair
Mar 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Excellent classic sci-fi story full of action, adventure, planetary exploration, and alien contact with bits of mystery and even a bit of horror to boot. The world building and story shine bright for me in this book. I found the author’s inventiveness and attention to details in describing all the nuances and gadgets, biological aspects, etc. of the planets and space tech/travel to be so entertaining. It really sucked me into the world of the story. The plot is very classic sci-fi – straight-up, ...more
Caroline Noe
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Facing extinction at the hands of a ruthless enemy, the remaining fragments of humanity travel across the stars to begin a new colony. Dr Eliana Veston leads the fight against a local bacteria, called Lung Lock, whilst Denton Castus dreams of escaping his job as a mechanic. A tragic event and the discovery of a worse enemy will pull them together in the fight to save the last survivors.

The beginning, involving colonisation and the struggle in space is usual sci fi fare, however; the latter part
Abel Montero
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breck neck pace, fun dialogues and a plot that spans multiple timelines to save humanity and its future on a new planet.

Add:
- creepy, deadly robots
- weird birdman aliens
- interesting family dynamics

What's not to like?
And the book features beautiful illustrations.
Space opera fans can't skip on this 🖤
B.T. Keaton
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
World-building is clearly Bruno's forte in this gripping debut set on an Earth-like planet where the past and the present, separated by three centuries, comes together poignantly. This grim tale manages to exude both hope and endless imagination in equal measure without getting too philosophical (though I would've liked more of the latter) all while drawing eerily on our very own modern-day concerns around very real threats like famine and disease. Bruno excels at painting an objective display h ...more
gj indieBRAG
We are proud to announce that IN THE ORBIT OF SIRENS by T.A. Bruno is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Valerie
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was definitely a fun ride. I found myself eager to continue reading in whatever free time I could find. It has the perfect balance of action and adventure. I highly recommend for anyone that has an interest in science fiction!
Sue Bavey
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
In the Orbit of Sirens is the first book in T.A. Bruno’s debut Sci-Fi series, The Song of Kamaria, and takes place far in the future. The human race is at war with a race of scavengers called the Undriel and is planning to escape from the Sol System to a planet named Kamaria. Kamaria is a distant planet in another solar system which takes 300 years in sleep stasis to travel to.

We get to know a group of people who are already on Kamaria setting up a habitable base, named Odysseus Colony, prepari
Book Reviewer
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Orbit of Sirens by T.A. Bruno is a bone-chilling science-fiction thriller that warps fiction, fantasy, and reality in wonderful and scary ways. It begins when humanity is left stranded after a starship destroys the Sol-System. They head to Kamaria where an intriguing and deadly alien species is also in competition with them. The main characters of this book are Denton and Elian, both of them intelligent and resilient people who go on an action-filled adventure to save their world. There a ...more
Lorraine
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on In the Orbit of Sirens from page one. It’s been quite a while since I have read good science fiction, and TA Bruno’s book is brilliant. The main characters, Denton Castus and Eliana Veston are fully fleshed out protagonists. Denton questions his future with his family business, while Eliana struggles to overcome tragedy. They are 3-dimensional characters who deal with real world problems. They will ultimately need to overcome these challenges if they are to defeat the threat of t ...more
John Purvis
Mar 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Author T. A. Bruno (https://tabruno.com) published the novel “In the Orbit of Sirens” in 2020. This is the first of his "The Song of Kamaria " series. This is his first science fiction novel.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of violence. The story is set in a far future. The main characters are Denton Castus and Eliana Veston.

Castrus fled Earth with his family and t
Peter Baran
YA Sci-Fi where the remains of the humanity head to colonise a alien world and discover something nasty out there. And I rather liked its urgency and setting to start off with - the idea of an advance party gently getting a planet ready for a huge influx of thousands of people gave both a ticking clock, and a decent shape to the exploration (coupled with solving an alien disease). Throw in a mysterious dead city and I was sucked in, disaster and then five years later...

Five years later the colon
Ryan Pascall
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I was provided a copy of this book, free of charge, in exchange for an honest review.

Ok, I have to be honest, I am but a simple beast and my love for Sci-fi books usually revolve around SpaceShips blowing each other into scrap or mech-armoured marines having battles with titanic warmachines on far off worlds. Due to this I was unsure as to how I would fare with this book and honestly expected it to be somewhat of a slog; how wrong was I.

This is the tale of the humans who flee their h
BooksCoffee
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After destructive starship machines force humanity to abandon their homes in the Sol-System and seek shelter somewhere else, Kamaria, a small planet shrouded in mystery, becomes the hub of life-or-death negotiations with advanced alien species also in race to make the mysterious planet their home.

As Denton Castus, a resilient everyman, and Eliana Veston, a gifted researcher, work to secure their future, a new menace arises, threatening to destroy their plan. What follows is an action-packed, da
Poppy Cain
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Netgalley gave me an electronic ARC in return for an honest review* Thank you to them and the writer.

In the Orbit of Sirens is the SciFi I didn't know I needed to get me back into the fever of distant planets and things stalking the abyss of space is nothing more than metal shuttles and armed with a will to consume.

If Stargate: Atlantis, Skyward and To Sleep In A Sea of Stars were stories you found interesting, this is the perfect next tale for you to dive into. And now that were are in the hol
Ahri
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. So I'm still just starting to dip my toes into the science-fiction world, and this book was just absolutely amazing. The world-building and writing style just brings the alien world of Kamaria to life.

The characters, especially Eliana, were so well written and believable, it just make the whole book easy to visualize and kept me engaged the whole duration of the book. There were absolutely no points where I grew bored or felt any disappointment.

Easily one of my new favorite series - I can
Mark Sandell
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that kept me engaged and eager to learn more until the end. The storytelling makes it so easy to visualize the fantastical alien environments of Kamaria, you quickly grow attached to the leading characters, and the satisfying action leaves you yearning for more. It's a unique take on humanity's struggle to survive against all odds. I hope there’s a sequel in the future!

I received an advanced review copy of this book.
Tony Stafford
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a big fan of SciFi, and this book did not disappoint! The author created an engaging world at both a macro and micro level. Whether talking about an entire solar system, or the interpersonal relationships between a couple of characters, I felt truly immersed in this futuristic story of the human race. I definitely recommend this book to a prospective reader!
Danny Moody
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There is some really good world building in this book. The history established in this story is well thought out and the planet where the book happens is very interesting. There wide cast of interesting characters and the story is very engaging.
Dr susan
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sci fi adventure

But I had to stop reading Sirens several times due to the body count and the horror elements. The book is well-written with a great plot, likeable characters (some of them survive), a touch of romance and fantasy, and deserves 5 stars. You know the saying, "It's not you, it's me?" Well, that perfectly explains my feelings toward In the Orbit of Sirens.
Paul
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice mix of sci-fi, suspense, tech and action that is quite engaging. The author uses a nice writing style and creates some fun characters. I look forward Bruno's next offering. Recommended.

I really appreciate the review copy!!
Rowena Andrews
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi

In the Orbits of Sirens had crossed my path a couple of weeks before the opportunity to join this tour came up as I had been looking to try and pick up a little more in the way of Sci-Fi, and there was something about the cover that really caught my attention. The premise was also interesting and while we might not be facing the same threat that is the catalyst driving humanity to find a new world, it is something that should perhaps strike a chord given the dangers facing human existence at pr
Steve Bender
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
A neat SF novel that starts with the Solar system being overrun by a machine intelligence. Two colony sips escape to a new world. The best part of the novel was the planet exploration. The last third of the book nvolves a fight with a fantasy opponent. Not so good on that part. But an enjoyable story with a mix of military SF, planet exploration, and fantasy.
Milian Smith

• Journey to the Hopewell Star
  • The Little Breadwinner: War and Survival in the Salvadoran Heartland
  • A Rift That Lies Between Us: A Novel
  • A Nest for Lalita
  • Stones of Light (Threadlight, #2)
  • In Lost Dreams the Four Were Bound (Genean Chronicles #1)
  • Sand Dancer
  • Rats in a Maze
  • Crossing the Digital Faultline: 10 Leadership Rules to Win in the Age of Digitalization and Uncertainty
  • Tryst
  • APEX
  • Last Exit For Betrayal
  • Two Scoops, not Three
  • This is Not a Lie
  • Persephone Station
  • The Music of Women
  • House of Bastiion (The Haidren Legacy, #1)
  • Water Must Fall
T. A. BRUNO has brought stories to life for over a decade as a previsualization artist in the film industry. At home, he is a proud father of two boys and a husband to a wonderful wife.

IN THE ORBIT OF SIRENS is his debut science fiction novel.

News & Interviews