Start by marking “Her First Mistake” as Want to Read:
Her First Mistake

Her First Mistake

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  20 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Mia covered her mouth to keep from crying out. She hated the dark, but her mother had made her promise. But what was the point of being a good little girl if she couldn’t help her mother? She’d promised her mother not to scream, but she hadn’t promised not to escape…

To the world, Mia Thornton is invisible—a quiet, timid preschool teacher. People would never guess that she
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: April 30th 2021 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Her First Mistake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her First Mistake

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Her First Mistake
Barbara Powell
Apr 08, 2021 rated it liked it
This is a fascinating look at what lengths some will go to in order to protect the ones the love and the ramifications of those actions on the ones they love.
Mia is a shy, insecure teacher who had a super rough upbringing. She wants to keep her past a secret so that people don’t feel sorry for her. One of Mia’s fellow teachers, Celeste, has it all-comes from a wealthy family, she’s pretty, got loads of friends-everything Mia has always wanted. One night, Mia does something impulsive and it chan
RK_reads
Mar 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The book was off to a great start with a chilling flashback prologue. The story held great promise with a compelling narrative, but somehow I wasn't very taken with the ending.

26-year old Mia Thornton is a pre-school teacher with a traumatic past. Her meek personality renders her almost invisible to those around her, no matter how much she desires to have friends. When she finds out that she has been sidelined yet again by her popular clique of colleagues, she commits a spiteful act that she im
Cheryl
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-read
Caveat: It's been some time since I read a Carey Baldwin book and when I saw that her newest book, a psychological thriller, I was so excited and preordered a Kindle copy. But then, I saw that it was available for request as an eARC on NetGalley and I did because sometimes patience isn't one of my virtues. Am I glad I did?

Since the synopsis concisely describes the story, I'm not going to reiterate except to say that Mia's first mistake of taking Celeste's keys, sets in motion a chain of events o
Federica
Apr 15, 2021 rated it liked it
The prologue is the best part of the book, I loved it, it's engaging, heartbreaking and promising.
The rest of the book, even if quite good, doesn't stand up to its start.
It's not that it's bad, because it absolutely isn't, maybe it's just that I expected it to follow a different path and I felt let down.
Also everything and everyone seemed against Mia, the lead character, and it felt a bit too much.
The twists of the plot were good, though.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providin
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'Her First Mistake' by Carey Baldwin.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Carey Baldwin, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 30th April 2021.

This is the first book I have read by this author.

I was originally drawn to this book by its eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis. It also stated in the synopsis that this book is 'Fans of The Wife Between Us, The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl will be totally addicted to Her First Mistake.'
Paula Lookabill
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A huge thank you to #NetGalley, #Bookoutour, and author #CareyBaldwin for providing me the ARC of #HerFirstMistake.

We are witnesses to a little girl, Mia, fighting for her life digging out of a shed where she has been locked in by her mother.

Then we are taken to present day where Mia is a somewhat damaged adult carrying more than her share of baggage. She has been in therapy for years, but still has problems making friends and getting close to people. She doesn't remember anything about those da
theliterateleprechaun
Mar 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads, netgalley
Carey Baldwin’s newest psychological thriller, “I Know What You Did,” explores the lengths one will go to protect somebody they love and the emotional damage they leave in their wake.

Harbour Youth Academy’s timid 26-year-old preschool teacher, Mia Thornton, has a past she wants to keep hidden. She’s no stranger to keeping things hidden. In fact, just last night she did something on impulse that she now regrets. Now, she's got to keep it a secret. She knows being rejected is a trigger, but she h
Alison Alice-May
Apr 01, 2021 rated it liked it
The start of the book was really intriguing. A flashback to the main character’s life when she was just six years old. I think it’s fair to say that Mia didn’t have the best start in life.

Move on twenty years. Mia is now a pre-school teacher with a meek personality and few friends. She is so upset to be once again side-lined by her colleagues that she commits a spiteful act that she regrets immediately but can do nothing about. She decides to put things right the following day, when to her horro
Shannon Jump
Apr 11, 2021 rated it liked it
What a great cover and synopsis for Her First Mistake!

I absolutely loved the prologue for this book. It showed a lot of promise and I felt like I was gearing up for an action packed—maybe even heartbreaking—read.

But I really struggled with it once I got past that opening scene and found myself losing focus throughout the rest of the book, and struggling to stay engaged.

We fast forward 20 years for the entire rest of the book—with the exception of some flashback scenes—and the story suddenly f
Alexandra Lee
Apr 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Wow! Just Wow!
I absolutely loved this book. It had me gripped right from the flashback at the beginning to the epilogue at the end!
I really liked how much detail went in to each important character. And the detail that went in to making sure we understood the main character Mia and why she struggles with daily adult life.
I had some suspicions throughout the book as to who was 'to blame' but I can honestly say that I wasn't 100% sure right up until it was revealed. And I was still wrong anyway!
Rachel Hanes
I experienced major anxiety while reading this thriller! There was so much going on between the past and present life of the main character, Mia. There were also so many times throughout this story that I just wanted to scream, “Mia, what are you doing?!” Be prepared for a wild ride with this read!
Carey Baldwin is a new author to me, but I am definitely looking forward to reading future novels from her. I also suggest reading I Know What You Did, to anyone who enjoys suspenseful thrillers as mu
Louise Pledge
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I can't even tell you how much I loved finding a book that held my interest as much as this one did! Except for a brief start the day before, I read it in one day because I didn't want to quit.

When the story began with a little girl having been locked in a shed for several days, I knew I wanted to read on. This is the tale of a grown-up girl who feels responsible for the disappearance of a co-worker but still wishes she knew what happened to the mommy who locked her in the shed. I love when a b
Ines (Bookstaroom)
Mar 30, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-list-2021
Very interesting thriller with a plot twist I did see coming, but it was still shocking to read it.

Mia was a girl, who escaped from the shed 20 years ago and since then, she has sleep problems and paranoia. When her coworker Celeste went missing, she couldn't remember anything from the night of her disappearance, has she done something wrong while sleep walking?

I liked Mia's aunt, she was my favorite character - her love for Mia and the fear, that something can happen to her, had my heart melt
Lisa
Apr 02, 2021 rated it liked it
The book had a good flowing story and there was a great back story for the title character of Mia.

There were twists throughout the book and I didn't know who the perpetrator was until the last chapter or two.

A well written book with a believable story that unfolded well and came to a satisfactory explanation at the end.

Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the advanced copy for an honest review.
Sarah Andre
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Such a taut thriller I had to avoid reading close to bedtime because the creep factor of "did she or didn't she" would follow me straight into my dreams. GREAT suspense with building intrigue made this a page-turner, complete with twists that double-back. Highly recommend! ...more
Anne
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
From the first page, I was hooked on this one. I usually don’t enjoy books where the time jumps from past to present but this one drew me in and I had to read the whole thing. So many secrets were revealed and twists, this is certainly a thriller worth reading!
Kate
Apr 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
2.5 stars rounded up, Netgalley. I really wanted to like this book but I felt like the author was desperate to meet a word count for each chapter as the sentence structure was often weird.
Cynsonya Wallace
Mar 20, 2021

• My Little Girl
  • The House Swap
  • Not My Mother
  • The Liar's Daughter: An absolutely gripping psychological thriller with a jaw-dropping twist
  • The Next Wife
  • Her Last Holiday
  • No Going Back
  • Twisted Lies (DI Kim Stone, #14)
  • The Ballerinas
  • Her Last Chance: Utterly heartbreaking, gripping and emotional fiction
  • The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz
  • Close My Eyes: A totally addictive and unputdownable psychological thriller
  • The Pretty One
GREAT NEWS! JUDGMENT, the first book in my Cassidy & Spenser Thriller series, has been named one of the "BEST BOOKS of 2014" by SUSPENSE MAGAZINE.

Both JUDGMENT & CONFESSION are BOOKSELLERS BEST AWARD Finalists
JUDGMENT is a DAPHNE DU MAURIER AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN MYSTERY/SUSPENSE Finalist and a SILVER FALCHION finalist.

Carey Baldwin is a mild-mannered doctor by day and an award-winning author o

News & Interviews