Start by marking “The Hill We Climb: An Inaugural Poem for the Country” as Want to Read:
The Hill We Climb: An Inaugural Poem for the Country

The Hill We Climb: An Inaugural Poem for the Country

On January 20, 2021, Amanda Gorman became the sixth and youngest poet to deliver a poetry reading at a presidential inauguration. Taking the stage after the 46th president of the United States, Joe Biden, Gorman captivated the nation and brought hope to viewers around the globe. Her poem “The Hill We Climb: An Inaugural Poem for the Country” can now be cherished in this sp ...more
Hardcover, Keepsake Edition, 32 pages
Published March 30th 2021 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hill We Climb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hill We Climb

Start your review of The Hill We Climb: An Inaugural Poem for the Country
melhara
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aoc, poetry, american
I've never watched any of the past US inaugurations, but when Amanda Gorman shared the glorious news that she was selected as the official inaugural poet for the 2021 inauguration, I knew I had to tune in (and I did)!

If you haven't watched it, you can find it here.

I've been following Gorman in social media since last summer and (for some reason) feel immensely proud of her well-deserved fame and success and am super happy that all three of her books ( Change Sings - a picture book set to
Alison
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking. I watched this performed live along with my husband and child, and we all wept openly. Cannot wait to read more from this brilliant mind!
Rainer
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This poem seems to have made Amanda Gorman into a household name overnight, and she absolutely deserves it. What an incredibly talented writer - we are blessed by her words.
morgan
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
hearing it for the first time was breathtaking and now reading it for the first time was moving
GONZA
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebk
That's the way to become the first Youth Poet Laureate of the United States. ...more
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Just perfection. So glad to have a copy now. Her performance of this at the inauguration was outstanding and I hear her voice every time I pick this up.
Luis
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“All art is propaganda; on the other hand, not all propaganda is art.”
-George Orwell

Well...this is clearly propaganda. I would consider any MLK speech as much more poetic and artistic than this cheesy and bland "poem".
CAG_1337
Feb 07, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good thing Harold Bloom is already dead because hearing this poem would have killed him. Gorman's work was an utterly dreadful, cliché-ridden piece of juvenilia that had all the charm and sense of craft as a mediocre slam poem. ...more
Tommaso Emiliani
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
Oh America, you can do better than this.

The poem is verbose, unimaginative, condescending, self-indulgent, didactic and - what is worst - cliched.
It is understandable that American hearts may need reassurance and guidance after years of darkness and chaos - yes, the poem does provide those.
But if one strips the poem of its envelope of powerful oral delivery, colourful cloths, ethnic jewels, identity politics associated with the author and the specific context of delivery, one is left with a bunc
Dinah Moore
Stunning .
I will be gifting this book often.
I adore Amanda Gorman and her voice. She is an incredible role model for the next generation and a shining light for this one. I could quote the entire poem as the review. Every line is profound and gratifying. It is hopeful in the best kind of way.

“Let the globe, if nothing else, say this is true:
That even as we grieved, we grew,
That even as we hurt, we hoped
That even as we tired, we tried.
That we'll forever be tied together.
Victorious,
Not because we
Lacey Mubanga
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
After hearing this poem, I just had to have it. This teeny beautiful edition arrived today and I teared up all over again reading it. This poem has a special place in my heart and in my living room. :)
Kellie Marie Monahan
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
Horrible print and binding. Looks like it was made at home. Cash grab of an overrated poem. 15 minutes of fame are up.

Joshie Nicole readwithjoshie
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A short audiobook of Amanda Gorman reading her poem The Hill We Climb. Still as inspiring as it was when I first heard it in January.
Alexandra
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“There is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it.” ♥️ Can’t wait to see this young woman in the Oval Office some day!
Joanne Knouf
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very moving poem
Wulf Krueger
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m German. I’ve never watched an inauguration of an American president. The one of today’s President Joe Biden was no exception even though I was hoping for something better than what had come before… ("It seems to me that I have been dreaming a horrid dream for four years, and now the nightmare is gone.”)

Amanda Gorman’s amazing poem hit the German news very quickly, though, and I got curious and looked it up, watched Gorman perform it at the inauguration. It hit me unexpectedly hard; so hard,
Corey J. Davidson
Apr 05, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have always thought that Amanda Gorman is a grossly overrated poet and this piece is a textbook example why.

There is nothing of real substance here; it is riddled with clichés and platitudes. I understand perfectly well what she was going for, but the execution is just so bland. I read better poems by my classmates in high school. I mean, “...just us...” and “...justice...”? REALLY? That is an Instagram poetry line if I have ever read one. That akin to saying “You can’t spell ‘disability’ wit
Cookie
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When I saw this audiobook on libro.fm, I jumped on putting it into my cart. Like many people, I was introduced to Amanda Gorman during her reading of this poem for President Biden's inauguration. She brought me to tears that day and I wanted to be able to listen to the poem again. I am not a poetry fan but I connected with this poem in a way that I have never connected with poetry before. Listening to it a second and third time, it continues to captivate me and fill me with overwhelming emotions ...more
Lynette Gile
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What can be said about “The Hill We Climb”. When first hearing this poem read at the Inauguration of Joe Biden, each word was thoughtful said and told. It’s unbelievable that someone could eloquently read this poem and captured a Nation. Reading it now brought back the memory of hearing the author read it to a Nation and transforming it. Bravo!
Katherine
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Chills!! I want more 😢 Amanda Gorman your words are so special. What a beautiful poem 💗
Kristina Clement
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved seeing these words in print and having the opportunity to savor them.
Sue Barnes
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This poem makes my heart sing.
Laura's Book Addiction
“Somehow, we’ve weathered and witnessed A nation that isn’t broken, but simply unfinished.”

I watched Amanda preform this poem on Inauguration Day and was utterly captivated by her talent so when I heard this poem was being released I had to add it to my book collection. I’m so glad I have as the edition is stunning.
Rachel Kelly
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally rate nonfiction, but obviously this is amazing! ...more
Christine
Apr 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her words, her voice, so inspirational!
Once Upon a Hope
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poem. The first time I heard it, I was blown away. I am so glad to own this special edition.
“For there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it, if only we’re brave enough to be it”
Earl
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I remember hearing this poem for the first time and how I was immediately taken in by the words and filled with a sense of promise and possibility- like listening to a sermon I had nothing but praise for- that I instantly put it on repeat. Reading a poem in one's own voice as opposed to listening to the poet or a good orator is a different experience.

This was part of my Inaugural Poems Reading Challenge which you can read here: https://thechroniclesofachildrensbook...
Kristin Kay
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, own
I will never forget watching Amanda Gorman recite this poem at President Biden’s inauguration. And more importantly, I will never forget how her words made me feel. The whole world held their breath as she was speaking, collectively in awe and collectively moved by her passion and hope for the future. I’m so happy to own this book now so I can own a piece of history.
Tiffany
PHENOMENAL
I have not stopped thinking about her beautiful poem and recitation from Inauguration Day 2021 and Amanda Gorman can do no wrong. I am here for whatever she chooses to bless us with in the future. Forever fan!
Maria
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and beautiful

Her words so moved the world and me on the Inauguration of President Joseph Biden.
I just had to have her written words to dwell upon and pray! Such a moving Poem.
Bravo Ms. Amanda Gorman

• A New Day
  • Firekeeper's Daughter
  • The Lost Apothecary
  • Love in English
Amanda Gorman was the first Youth Poet Laureate of the United States. She is also an activist. Gorman's work focuses on issues of oppression, feminism, race, and marginalization, as well as the African diaspora. In January 2021, she became the youngest poet to read at a presidential inauguration, reading her poem "The Hill We Climb" at the inauguration of Joe Biden. ...more