Start by marking “Aunt Erma's Cope Book: How To Get From Monday To Friday ... In 12 Days” as Want to Read:
Aunt Erma's Cope Book: How To Get From Monday To Friday ... In 12 Days

Aunt Erma's Cope Book: How To Get From Monday To Friday ... In 12 Days

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,725 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
1979 McGraw Hill HB. Humorist Erma Bombeck tells how she overdosed on self-help books.
Published September 1st 1979 by McGraw-Hill Book Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Erma's Cope Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Erma's Cope Book

Ami
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Erma's books! While other kids were sneakily reading the latest issue of Batman or Archie & Veronica comic books between the pages of their schoolbooks during class I was trying not to get caught laughing too loudly at the pages of the latest book by humorist author Erma Bombeck. Its safe to say that I grew up with her books and her name, and stories, just like V.C. Andrews', another author I grew up reading, brings back a lot of good reading memories. Erma, and her writing, will be d ...more
Elissa Williams
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
While dated, this is an interesting read that reminded me how hard we judge ourselves. I really enjoyed the witty humor and funny names she used as names and places.
Anne Hawn Smith
Some of the material is dated, but it is still funny. In fact, looking at all those self-help books Erma read to improve herself is a reminder of belly-button gazing that went on in the late 70's and how impossible they sound now. All those encounter groups and self-actualization we did at work frequently interfered with the time we had to do our jobs. At home, we were encouraged to second guess everything we did with our spouses and children. The silliest thing is that we actually thought they ...more
Megan Gery
I generally love Erma's books. She's witty and dry and I want to have her over for dinner. But this one didn't resonate with me somehow. I chuckled a few times, but too many of the references were before my time. Sorry, Erma. We didn't connect on this one. But you're still welcome to dinner any time.
Jessica
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had just watched a movie that featured this book and was walking towards the kitchen, when I stepped on it. It had fallen off our bookshelf, I didn't even know we had it. It's amusing.
Grace
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. I love a book that doesn't take itself too seriously and this is definitely one of those.
Carol
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but liked some of her others better.
Melissa Hedges- Rankin
Great humor! Even though this was written in the 1980s, this book had many universal
giggles about being middle-aged that still ring true today. Erma is truly one of the best.
Deborah Parish
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but then I started to see so much I could relate to despite the age of the book.
jeffrey
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A dopey book with mostly outdated cultural references and humor. I'm sure in it's time it was considered hilarious.
Marsha
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorist writer Bombeck makes satiric references to her life using books that were popular in the 1970s. For instance, instead of “Fear of Flying” she writes about “Fear of Buying” and Bombeck writes about how the TV commercials would show people how their lives would be all-so-more-perfect if their products were purchased.

This book is copyrighted in 1979, and in each chapter she spoofs on self-help issues as self-help books were all the rage in the 1970s. However, what is particularly interest
Darlene
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sub-title: How To Get From Monday To Friday…In 12 Days

Having read this years ago, I came across it again when cleaning out some dated books in my shelves to, what else, make room for more. Before I packed it for redistribution, I read it again. This is classic Erma Bombeck. She appears to have reached a ‘middle-age crisis’ in this offering where she takes on self-help books. She tackles appearances, guilt complexes, and sports in her pursuit of happiness, self-improvement, raising her conscious
Sheila Carsins
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved Erma's Book!

What's not to like? Reading a book by Erma Bombeck, is like enjoying lunch with old friends-- fun, and funny, witty, and even a little bit sad when it's done and time to go your separate ways. I can totally relate to her, and it's such a relief to discover someone who has experienced similar circumstances, and managed to find the humor in the most unexpected places. It puts it all in perspective, and for the duration of her books, life's happier, like wearing rose-colored gla
Amy
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
And I do mean that, it was okay. Not one of her best books but did have some entertaining parts, especially the "if you do so and so you'll regret it for the rest of your life". The book is dated which may turn off some readers but hell, if you are an avid reader of Erma than that probably won't bother you :). What didn't work for me in this book is that she changed all the titles of actual self help books to clever little titles. It got to be a bit much. I wish that she would have used the actu ...more
Erin
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
As a high-schooler in the late '90s I loved Erma Bombeck. I picked up several of her paperbacks at the library's used book sale and read and reread them to pieces. I think they provided some respite from my other literary love at the time: Stephen King. This one I hadn't read yet, and picked it up to see if the old zing was still there.

I found this less funny than I did 20 years ago, but surprisingly there was still a lot that resonated woven in between the dated references. The competition betw
Helen
Once the post war American couple was settled in the suburbs with 2.4 children, a mortgage, a car, and a dog things began to get messy. Suburbs weren't often full communities so there was a lack of grandparents, single people, and couples with no children. As soon as you have a one appearance community people have to create problems. This is what Erma responded to in this book. Women discovered that it was very difficult to be a 'real person' when there are all sorts of demands laid on you by ot ...more
Michelle
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely, completely and totally LOVE Erma Bombeck. I credit my grandmother for introducing me to her when I was young. Of course, I didn't really "get it" at that time, but after she passed away I was given some books that she had written my name in and there was an Erma Bombeck among them.

I grabbed this book for a quarter at a garage sale (SCORE) and it did not disappoint. Each chapter represents a self-help book that she is reading in order to find herself and her happiness. Even though I
Jan Kellis
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't like Erma Bombeck? I'm giving this five stars for her relentless attention to satirical humor in every sentence. No one can match Erma for humor writing.

Each chapter shares Erma's experience with a self-help book she reads on the advice of friends, acquaintances, or her kids' teachers. Here's a brief example of Erma's experience with following her horoscope: Prediction: You get a chance today to provide guidance and inspiration. Fact: I chaperoned thirty fourth-graders ona tour of a
Atlantis
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed Erma Bombeck's writing. I remember I first found one of her books lying around the house that my Mom had been reading when I was a kid. I found them funny even then. I was so happy to see that her work has been converted to e-format and I was able to check this out from my local online library. This book is her take on "Self-Help" books. Some of the writing is definitely dated but the themes and ideas are still relevant today. I found myself wondering what Erma would write ...more
Suzyberry
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though we lost the bright and jubilant author many years ago, I continue to re-read all the books she wrote. Erma Bombeck took the crazy, the ordinary and even the tragic events of everyday life and spun them into a story that was always easily understood and in the end made you see the circumstances differently...in a more positive and definitely more humorous light. Her books should never be stuffed away and forgotten because this world needs a giant lift out of the doldrums and we all need to ...more
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Erma Bombeck displays her usual amusing take on being a woman in the 70's. She's undertaken a journey to find herself with the help of self-help books, many of which are very thinly veiled satires of actual tomes from the late 70's. While hilarious and well-written, and like a lot written during this era, this book emphasizes and humorizes the role of a wife, mother, employee, and feminist.
Probably best when read in the 1970's, although I wasn't there, so I couldn't say. I had the feeling that a
Lola
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I confess that Aunt Erma is a favorite of mine; she understands me, even though she was a married woman and parented children way before I was alive. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'd rather say Erma's universal.

She didn't have to deal with some of the stuff we currently have plaguing us: cell phones, the internet, text messages, Twitter, but everything she says rings true.

Read this...even if you think she's out-dated; even if you think she cannot possibly have anything to say about how we live
LaDonna
In all honesty, I didn't finish this one. I respect Emma a lot, and though dated this book definitely has its amusing moments, and even relevant ones 30 some years later. I just decided to go ahead an mark it as read as I'm tired of seeing it on my currently reading list and after 8 months I don't see myself going back and finishing it anytime soon when I have so many other books I want to read.
Alice
Nov 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any mom looking for a quick light read
I love Erma Bombeck. Years ago I read The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank, and enjoyed that too. She has a great wry sense of humor about motherhood in suburbia.
This book is her comment on the self help book craze. Funny and a potential wake-up call if you find yourself going from one enlightening method to another every month or so. However it was written in the 70s and there are a number of popular references that are dated. If you can get past that, it's a fun read.
Mckenzie Richardson
I saw a copy of this book in the Little Free Lending Library awhile back and decided to give it a try.

This is a very funny book. I enjoyed reading it. While many (or most) of the references were out of date and went way over my head, the book was still understandable. The stories were humorous and I loved the setup of having each chapter dedicated to a different self-help book.

A silly book that is good for a few laughs.
Emily
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Definitely dated, though... I had to laugh at a part where she refers to a roll of film being stored in the fridge. My kids will never understand that reference. How quickly things change. I really liked the part where she tries jogging and is miserable with a horrible stitch in her side... and then they get out of the car. Ha ha! Totally me!
Amy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Erma Bombeck should be required reading. For everyone. Her wit and view on life is timeless. Basic human and family problems never really change and her take on life is always spot on. I love her writing and I am truly sorry she isn't around still to amuse and amaze us with today's problems. A must read. Loved it. Truly laugh-out-loud.
Bunny
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-09
Okay, this book made me understand why Lisa's mum thinks Bombeck is so funny.

I love that Bombeck is quietly funny. Celia Rivenbark, who I still like better, is loudly funny. She's got great lines, and she's highly quotable. With Erma Bombeck, there's a great flow, an ease to the funny.

This one made me want to read the rest of her work.
Sheila
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was a time when I use to find EB amusing, the keyword here is use. This book was written over 30 years ago and is really dated. I was into reading all of the self help books and Ms. Bombeck pokes fun at a lot of the books that a perused, I am not objecting to this but somehow she misses the mark for being funny.

Molly
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful spoof on self-help books. Erma always had her finger on the pulse of what middle-class American women were doing to try and live up to an unrealistic ideal. A bittersweet reminder of how much we could use her guidance and good humor at this troubled time in American history. Erma, you are missed.
  • Please Don't Eat the Daisies
  • I Should Have Seen It Coming When The Rabbit Died
  • Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • Fatherhood
  • Yoda: The Story of a Cat and His Kittens
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • West of Last Chance
  • My World And Welcome To It
  • Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language
  • Eat Bacon, Don't Jog: A Contrarian's Guide to Diet, Exercise, and What Actually Works
  • The Jekyl Island Club
  • 101 Salivations: For the Love of Dogs
  • Mommy Knows Worst: Highlights from the Golden Age of Bad Parenting Advice
  • Homemakers: A Domestic Handbook for the Digital Generation
  • Chernobyl's Wild Kingdom: Life in the Dead Zone
Erma Louise Bombeck, born Erma Fiste, was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for a newspaper column that depicted suburban home life humorously, in the second half of the 20th century.

For 31 years since 1965, Erma Bombeck published 4,000 newspaper articles. Already in the 1970s, her witty columns were read, twice weekly, by thirty million readers of 900 newspapers of USA and Canada
More about Erma Bombeck...
“When a man’s got cream in the refrigerator at home, he won’t go out looking for two-percent butterfat.” 1 likes