Start by marking “HTML Utopia” as Want to Read:
HTML Utopia

HTML Utopia

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS, 2nd Edition is for web developers looking to create websites using Cascading Style Sheets for layout, which allow for faster page downloads, easier maintenance, faster website redesigns, and better search engine optimization.

HTML Utopia covers all aspects of using Cascading Style Sheets in Web Development, and is a must-read
Published April 21st 2006 by SitePoint (first published April 14th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about HTML Utopia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML Utopia

Bryan Higgs
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: web-development
I bought this book some time ago, and just finally got around to reading it in its entirety.

When it was published, this book would have been very good. That was a time (2006) when CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) was just starting to become important in the creation of web sites, and many web developers were used to using plain old HTML tables for their web page layouts. For many reasons, CSS is a far superior way to go, but back then it was taking a while to catch on. So, the focus of this book --
Craig Cecil
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computers
I had high hopes for this book. After finishing Eric Meyer's latest CSS book, I was ready for something completely dedicated to teaching me everything I needed to know about creating a site without using a single table tag for layout. Although the book does explain how to do this, I was still disappointed. After a brief introduction about CSS (yet again), section two of the book explains how to create layouts without using tables. In all, seventy pages of 500 are centered on this topic. Half the ...more
Ahmad Alfy
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
Well I picked up this book and thought It will be about layouts with CSS mainly. I was wrong; It goes through a long introduction about CSS basics. It's useful and contain a comprehensive rich appendix worth to check! Found some of the properties I never heard of before. It also explain the inheritance and the selectors clearly. Recommended for anyone with basic knowledge looking to take his skills a smaller step forward before digging into the hardcore CSS
Michele
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: graphic designers or anyone interested in learning how to create a website
This book is good for anyone who would like to learn to design a website. It shows numerous ways to style your layout with CSS.

I would recommend it to any designer that already knows web as a reference book. I have not been able to get myself to read the rest of the book, since I know most of it all ready, but I do use it as a reference when I get stumped with Internet Explorer.
Mark
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this book thinking I knew a good deal about CSS. I quickly discovered that I was wrong. I was able to design a site with no tables whatsoever using this book, and started learning the fine art of content separated from style.
Raymond Timberland
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it
CSS. Don't be a web poser, be an auteur.
Doug Lautzenheiser
Jul 12, 2008
Lightspot
Aug 18, 2009
Su
rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2009
Erica
Feb 18, 2010
Scott Seely
Jun 12, 2014
Rachel Andrew is a web developer, speaker and author who lives in Bristol, UK. She is the editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine.
More about Rachel Andrew