Start by marking “Aura” as Want to Read:
Aura

Aura

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  22,966 ratings  ·  1,767 reviews
Felipe Montero is employed in the house of an aged widow to edit her deceased husband's memoirs. There Felipe meets her beautiful green-eyed niece, Aura. His passion for Aura and his gradual discovery of the true relationship between the young woman and her aunt propel the story to its extraordinary conclusion.
Published January 1st 2004 by Grupo Editorial Norma (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Aura, please sign up.
Assad Layek they are talking about Arabic translation
Sara Los gatos son una acentuación de algo (creo que de la brujería) y el jardín es un vistazo de lo que sucede después. De la identidad de Aura (Aura es c…moreLos gatos son una acentuación de algo (creo que de la brujería) y el jardín es un vistazo de lo que sucede después. De la identidad de Aura (Aura es creada a partir de la fecundación del alma que ha sucedido por los brebajes) “Le advertí a Consuelo que esos brebajes no sirven de nada…”, “Las hierbas no la fertilizarán en el cuerpo, pero sí en el alma…”.(less)

·  22,966 ratings  ·  1,767 reviews

Start your review of Aura
Ahmad Sharabiani
Aura, Carlos Fuentes

Aura is a short novel written by Mexican novelist Carlos Fuentes, first published in 1962 in Mexico. This novel is considered as a fantastic literature for its remarkable description of “dreamlike” themes and the complexion of “double identity” portrayed by the character. Its narrative is completely carried out in second person.

نخستین خوانش: روز نخست ماه نوامبر سال 1990میلادی

عنوان: آئورا؛ نویسنده: کارلوس فوئنتس؛ مترجم: عبدالله کوثری؛ تهران، تندر، 1368، در 126ص؛ 1378، در 136ص
Mutasim Billah
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mexico, favorites
"You move a few steps so that the light from the candles won't blind you. The girl keeps her eyes closed, her hands at her sides. She doesn't look at you at first, then little by little she opens her eyes as if she were afraid of the light."

Felipe Montero, a historian, finds a conveniently suitable job for himself in the newspaper. The advertisement demanded him to help organize and write down a memoir. Upon arriving at the location of the said proprietress, the protagonist is lost in a worl
Clark Zlotchew
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I read this in the original Spanish, and then in a bilingual (Spanish-English, facing pages) version. This short novel, or novelette, is a jewel. It is packed with the feeling of an unbreakable, relentless destiny in store for a young man in Mexico City. Felipe Montero, a public school teacher, answers an want add in the newspaper because the description of the person being sought for a much higher-paying job seems to be an exact description of Montero, as though it were specifically reaching ou ...more
Deea
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Aura has hypnotic green eyes. She is a mysterious presence. She is the niece of an old lady, Consuelo, who commissions a young professor to write the memoirs of her long-dead husband. The young Felipe has to stay in the old lady's house while writing the memoirs. Aura is young, or, is she? Aura has pretty dark hair, or is it white? Aura's gestures seem to be identical to the old lady's, she urges the young Felipe to make love to her, to fall in love with her in the atmosphere of her aunt's house ...more
Fergus
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A WONDERFULLY Spooky Tale that’ll give you the veritable WILLIES...

It was the summer of 1968. My onerous Freshman course load was a distant satisfying memory - satisfying, because it had garnered for me a munificent college prize.

So like any freshman, I tended to rest on my laurels. Big mistake. For there in my teeming literary brain, mind shadows were gathering in my head.

You know ‘em. Suspicions. Scruples. All the aftershocks of an incipient coming of age.

So, when I picked this one from my mom
Althea Ann
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From descriptions I'd read before starting this, I was expecting something in the vein of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. But no, the aesthetic here is much closer to Poe or Baudelaire. I'd call this a classic horror tale, more than 'magical realism.'

A young man, Felipe Montero, answers a help-wanted ad that seems tailor-made for him. It shouldn't be too difficult to prepare a widow's late husband's memoirs for a vanity publication, and the generous salary will allow him the leisure to pursue his own st
Sidharth Vardhan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initially it seemed like Turn-of-the-Screw-esque but what makes it worth trying is Borgesian looking themes like how two of the characters come to seem like different aspects (?) of same person as well as how reader's experience which is at first made identical with that of protagonist (narration is in the second person) until somewhere near the middle is at that point seggregated by a single turn of phrase leaving reader better informed even as he/she continues to seee things from point of view ...more
Candiss
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: length-under-250
Well, that certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Panamanian author, written in the 1960s, said to be a bit fantastical... I was expecting magical realism, and I got a good old-fashioned Gothic. I had to keep reminding myself where the book was set, because it felt like it was set in a dark and drafty old manor in England, yet it was set in a (dark and drafty old) city home in Mexico City.

Foreboding atmosphere? Check. Young scholar with talents uniquely suited to the story? Check. Creepy old wom
ژی
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well.. It was my first experience with Carlos Fuenets and a Mexican writer, In Fact It was interesting and I liked it. I would love to read his others books and more books by Latin american writers.
Blaine DeSantis
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast reading novella. Enjoyed it a lot. This is the first work by Carlos Fuentes that I have read. Have a few more on the shelf for later reading, and will definitely get to them.
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
A little crazy on the foreshadowing.........lots of people find the use of the 2nd person and the switch from future/present odd, but remember, when it was written, that was some innovative stuff! The switch into the present comes at key moments, placing the reader right into the action. Also, since the old Mexico/new Mexico and their blend was one of Fuente's favorite topics, it's more interesting when it's written like this--I much prefer it to the 1000-page tome with every piece of historical ...more
Jola
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mexico
Review to come.
Shane Hall
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An easy contender for the best fictional work I've read. I will never give away my own personal copy. In no other novel have I seen such brilliant use of second person point of view.
You are the protagonist, and like a spell, the novel convinces you, from the very start, that you are this man, looking for a job sorting the written documents of an hideous old widow's late husband. You are bothered by her loneliness, but magnetically attracted to her young niece, Aura. Her beauty convinces you to
Rural Soul
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you can categorize this novella as Gothic Horror then I have my own interpretation of it's ambiguous story.
In my opinion Madam Counsuelo dwelled into a devilish cult due to her loss of husband and his infertility. She lived long and defeated death. Eventually she conjured up a younger herself in shape of Aura. As far as goes for Felipe Montero. He was always there to come along. That ad was always there for him. He's incarnation of Her dead husband.
Unique thing about this novel is that it's n
Roya
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cannot make up my mind about this- too powerful for a three, too creepy for a four. Too disturbing for a five. It kept me up at night. I had the worst day ever - the freaky imagery played itself in a loop, just couldn't rid of it. I can imagine Dickens reading this, shutting it, shouting damn, why didn't I come up with this. Good thing he didn't though. Good thing he didn't.
Proustitute
Reality, dreams, doppelgängers, literature, love, and darkness.

This tiny book has it all in spades.
Joanne Moyer
A short but creepy tale of Felipe Montero, a young man who accepts a live in position to edit the memoirs of General Llorente for his elderly widow, Consuelo. Her home is the perfect combination of Gothic darkness and shadows, and nothing being what it seems. Felipe is quickly caught up in the spell of Consuelo's beautiful niece, Aura, and finds it hard to think of anything else. You may figure the story out before you finish, but it won't matter, you'll read til the end. Beautifully translated ...more
Ben Loory
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if i were still in college i'd write a paper about this as a kind of poe-ian inversion of The Aspern Papers by henry james. but luckily i'm not so i don't have to face the fact that probably 40,000 other people have already done that.

but yeah, okay, fuentes! this guy can tell a story! and he knows how to end them! i'm on it!

oh happy days.
Doug H
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very fast moving literary thriller packed with symbolism. Can be interpreted multiple ways. Is it a supernatural story or is it a psychological study? Reminiscent of Poe, Borges and Calvino. Second Person Narrative voice causes the reader to become the protagonist for a good portion of it. You are completely drawn in. You cannot resist.
Leila Soltani
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Pretty fast, interesting, easy and also convoluted -at the same time- read.
Liked the surreal elements of the story. The second person point of view for narration added to the magical realism and surrealism of the book also.
Now I am eager to read analysis and probably mythology behind the story.
Marcus
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it's about a big, old, dark house in downtown Mexico City. I've never been to Mexico City, but I've been in big old houses in other Mexican towns, and this is the perfect story for bringing back their peeling paint, hard tile floors, high ceilings, scarce light and lost in time aura.

The three main characters are a mysterious and beautiful young girl, the Mexican version of Mrs. Havisham and a young male student. Mix them all up with some magical realism, time distortion
Beth
I loved The Death of Artemio Cruz when I read it last year, so I was deeply saddened reading of Carlos Fuentes's recent death. Today I went out and grabbed this little gem to read more of his work. Aura is a little bit of a Gothic mystery, a little bit of a romance, and completely engaging. An unemployed historian reads a help wanted ad that seems written especially for him. He presents himself for the interview at an eerie old house in the city's center and learns that he is to edit the memoirs ...more
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
Creepy and frightening? Reminiscent of Poe? On a pendulum with Poe on one end and your favorite Stephen King ordeal on the other, I'd put Aura somewhere in the middle----which is to say, putting it on par with Poe is like comparing cherries to persimmons. The levels of tension and writing are not equivalent.

How many more books can I read that employ the basic device of mistaken, switched, transferred, or double identity?????---in all its forms! Someone needs to write a book with 332 characters w
Judy
I loved this novella by an author I have also come to love. I read it on my Nook, as it is not currently in print except for a bilingual edition. At first it seemed a rip off to have to pay $9.94 for such a slim volume. About three pages in I did not care.

Written like a fable, it took me into a strange dreamlike story involving a starving writer, an old woman, the green-eyed Aura and a crumbling old house.

It is spooky. It is somewhat supernatural. It is almost a deal-with-the-devil tale. Not qui
Amy
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latin-america
You could probably read this book in an hour. A bizarre love story told in second person. You/Felipe get hired to ghost-write the ending of a man's memoirs by the man's 109-year-old widow. Her house is almost completely pitch-black inside, and her niece, Aura, lives with her. You/Felipe (the protagonist) fall in love with Aura and from there things proceed to get weird.
ميقات الراجحي
It was the most beautiful description and narration of the subject of the story. I was a complicated and you go back and read the previous pages again. Despite the beauty of the author and the splendor of his writings.
Adam
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I just remembered this 2nd person nightmare by Fuentes...terrifying and gripping and near genius.
Rachel
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
wow.

quite terrifying. but beautiful.

although at first it felt like i was reading a "choose your own adventure" novel...

...the second person narration was absolutely hypnotic.
This is my first book read by Carlos Fuentes and I liked the way he managed to deal with the magical realism.
AC
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels-spanish
Interesting little book — I read the bilingual edition, which I cannot find on this stupidly redesigned site!

• Las batallas en el desierto
  • Pedro Páramo
  • La tumba
  • Querido Diego, te abraza Quiela
  • Macario
  • Los relámpagos de agosto
  • El coronel no tiene quien le escriba
  • Chronicle of a Death Foretold
  • Persona normal
  • The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings
  • Las muertas
Carlos Fuentes Macías was a Mexican writer and one of the best-known novelists and essayists of the 20th century in the Spanish-speaking world. Fuentes influenced contemporary Latin American literature, and his works have been widely translated into English and other languages.

Fuentes was born in Panama City, Panama; his parents were Mexican. Due to his father being a diplomat, during his childhoo