Start by marking “Daughter of Twin Oaks (A Secret Refuge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Twin Oaks (A Secret Refuge, #1)

Daughter of Twin Oaks (A Secret Refuge #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,826 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
Seeking to fulfill the promise she made to her dying father, eighteen-year-old Jesselynn Highwood determines to take her little brother and the family's Thoroughbreds from Twin Oaks plantation in Kentucky to her uncle's farm in Missouri to protect them from the ravages of the War between the States.
They embark on a perilous journey, riding at night, hiding during the day,
Published April 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Twin Oaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Twin Oaks

Susan Lower
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book had good characterization. It felt real and I loved following the main character Jesselynn on her adventure from her home in Kentucky to Missouri during the civil war. Just when I felt the book was picking up pace and getting really interesting, I found myself on the last page. Since I was using my kindle app to read this I thought maybe my app messed up and it was stuck, but no... the book ends and leaves you hanging. I was like "What?!? No ending!"

I don't like being forced to have t
Lisa C.
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Until the end, I found this to be a captivating story. The characters were realistic, it had great Civil War depictions and the heroine was a decent person and could stand on her own two feet. Some of the parts I found a little unbelievable or predictable, but nothing crazy.

Then I got to the end. Oh, wait. There was no ending. The book stopped. Two things that drive me to not read an author again are ridiculous grammar/spelling issues and forcing a reader to get another book to finish a story. I
Linda
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The genre of this book is historical fiction and it is a well written Civil War dram that actually describes the lives of several daughters of the Twin Oaks Plantation. Twin Oaks is well known for their excellent horses - BEFORE the war and before the Armies conscripted horses for their uses. Daughter Jesselynn is left in charge of the few quality horses left and charged with the task of moving them to Springfield. MO TO HER uncle Hiram's Plantation for help in saving the bloodline. Figuring out ...more
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
This book is aptly named Daughter of Twin Oaks as it goes to narrate the arduous journey of Jesselyn, the oldest Highwood daughter, from her home Twin Oaks to Missouri in search of a safer ground in the Civil war-torn America. The Highwoods plantation was thriving before war. Joshua Highwood never had to worry over feeding his big family or his slaves, whom he dreamed of freeing as soon as the opportunity arrived.

But the wretched war changed everything for them. Joshua went to war, his wife Miri
Karen & Gerard
Daughter of Twin Oaks by Lauraine Snelling is the first book in her Secret Refuge Series that I enjoyed. It is at the time of the Civil War and Jesselynn is the daughter left to run the family's tobacco plantation called Twin Oaks. Her brother is off at war, her parents are both dead and her two sisters are living with an Aunt in Virginia. Twin Oakes is in Kentucky and she is trying to keep her few horses from being taken for use in the war. After giving all her slaves their freedom, they decide ...more
Alicia
Aug 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've been slowly dragging along in this book over the last few days and I finally decided to call it quits. A good book draws me in. It's world becomes my world to the point where I almost forget I'm even reading. This book just didn't do it for me.

The story line was a bit obvious and awkward. I didn't feel like the relationships were authentic. The characters and story line were not developed well. Instead of leading the reader along so they could see who everyone is and how they fit in to the
Katie
I read this book a while back and loved it then. So when I saw that it was getting reprinted, I knew I had to get them to add to my library of books. After finishing this first book in the Secret Refuge series, it still remains one of my favorite historicals of all time. I am a BIG lover of history and, more specifically, the War Between the States, and for such a controversy war, Lauraine handles it well.

While both the main characters in Daughter of Twin Oaks -- Jesselynn and Louisa -- have th
Faith Cummings
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daughter of Twin Oaks: A story of love and loss

Daughter of Twin Oaks: A story of love and loss

This is a riveting story of the south in 1862. It tells of love and loss, as a family strives to hold on to their lives as they were before the war broke them and changed them, almost beyond recognition. Old traditions are swept aside, as they attempt to salvage what they can and move forward to a new life even as the old one shatters around them. This is a story from a great storyteller, and it kept me
Dorene
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book about the Civil war and all the trouble a horse farm had in Kentucky...and I would add more to my review...BUT there was no ending...and books like that don't deserve to have anything else said. I turned the pages and read on...and on....and on...about this family...BUT there was NO ENDING.....
Christine Meunier
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse, 2014-reading
The first in the Secret Refuge series, this book leaves you wanting to know more! Another great read by Lauraine Snelling, Daughter of Twin Oaks follows the lives of eighteen year old Jesselynn Highwood and her two younger sisters who are battling to enjoy life in the midst of the civil war... more at http://equus-blog.com/daughter-of-twi...
Jennah
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
I REALLY wanted to love this book, but it was so boring and very hard to read when the characters spoke southern. I love reading books that focus on the civil war, but I was just not into this story at all. It was a type of story that I knew what would happen next and being right.
Frances Chrisman
An interesting book

I really enjoyed the book. The tragedies of the Civil War is difficult to visualize but it is part of our country's history. This story showed you how some of the most prosperous people had to adapt.
Marlana Sanders
Good

Good book. Obviously trying to set up for next in the series. Disappointing that there were no conclusions to any of the story lines. If there had been a better conclusion would have rated it better. You enjoy each of the characters so you want to keep reading.
Cheri Jarvis
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
The way this book ended, it could have ended at any given chapter. It's as if the author decided to just stop writing. This is author manipulation at its best!
Stephanie
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read this author's later works and it's good to see how her talent developed since this earlier work. A good story.
Mary Ellen
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the book on the whole. The disappointment came at the end. There was no end! Nothing is resolved in the first book. It just stops and leaves you hanging.
Elisa
Mar 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
As much as I wanted to like this book I just could not. There were some good parts but it seem to me that the went on and on with no ending.
Amanda Potter
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

This book was good from the first page on. I can't wait to read the next one!! I love finding out what happens with my favorite characters from the story!
Pat Langhelt
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Disappointed at the ending oh no it didn't end!!!
Judy Tuck
Not happy with ending

Great book until the ending which just leaves you hanging. I like multiple books but they should not be dependent on other books.
Deana Myers
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did enjoy .
Lisa Taylor
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Read

I could not put this book down. When I turned the last page, I was disappointed that there wasn't another chapter.
Linda Wellborn
Daughter of twin oaks

such a good story but just ends too abruptly. I wondered what happened to others in the
story. it leaves you hanging.
Shirley Esau
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
enjoyable

I liked that the history is correct and that there are many story kines. This was a good read and I did not want to put it down.
Lynette
I just finished watching season 2 of Mercy Street so it was easy to picture this story. It kind of ends abruptly. Good thing I already have the next book on Overdrive.
Brenda
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
War Time

A look at the happenings with the war between the states. It doesn't talk about the battles and such but gives a story of a girl trying to follow her Daddy's last wish.
Lunasquirrelgirl
Nice read

Nice historic read. Strong female character trying to protect her family. The switch of perspective between the sisters was a little confusing but overall a nice read.
Lori Gronewold
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but the ending forces you to read the next one to find out what happens.
Cathy
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Pretty good, leaves you wondering if the family is ever reunited, but maybe that comes in the next book?
Carolyn
(view spoiler) Now that I have completed the series, I don't think it was worth the time. I wish I hadn't bothered.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 07:58AM
  • Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
  • In the Company of Secrets (Postcards from Pullman #1)
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • Waiting for Summer's Return (Heart of the Prairie #1)
  • A Hero's Promise (The Culper Ring, #2.5)
  • Paradise Valley (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #1)
  • Rosa's Land (Western Justice, #1)
  • Wings of a Dream
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • Angels Watching Over Me (Shenandoah Sisters, #1)
  • The Lawman Claims His Bride (Charity House, #4)
  • The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Gresham Chronicles, #1)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

A Secret Refuge (3 books)
  • Sisters of the Confederacy (A Secret Refuge, #2)
  • The Long Way Home (A Secret Refuge, #3)

“felt a rush” 0 likes
“big house to the slave quarters was nothing short of miraculous as far as” 0 likes