Start by marking “The Holy Way: Practices for a Simple Life” as Want to Read:
The Holy Way: Practices for a Simple Life

The Holy Way: Practices for a Simple Life

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  113 ratings  ·  13 reviews
“Using the Christian tradition of solitude, silence and contemplation as her foundation, Huston offers one of the best books available on living the simple life.”
Publishers Weekly, starred review

“This book will give solace and guidance to those who, like Paula Huston, have felt the interior call to simplicity, the intense gravitational pull of the God within.”
—Bruno Barn
Published November 1st 2003 by Loyola Press

To ask other readers questions about The Holy Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holy Way

really liked it 4.00  ·

Wanda
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't "Oh my gosh!" inspiring. The title of the book is a bit off. "My Search for the Holy Way" would be more appropriate. The book is more a story of one pilgrim's incomplete journey, than a how-to book. That said, I found it an interesting story most of the time. A few times I got tired of hearing the author talk about herself. The book reads much like a limited autobiography. I was impressed with the author's persistence at following the call to holiness, despite ...more
Lynne
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
My fiancee chose to read C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity sitting by me as I was reading this book. We enjoyed sharing highlights and were amazed to find the passages we chose dovetailed perfectly with each other! I enjoyed Paula's vivid descriptions of her thoughts and experiences, and the book verified and encouraged me in my own contemplative way.
Michael Stockdale
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book jammed in among hundreds of others on a shelf in a thrift store in Grass Valley, California. The title jumped out at me, and—once off the shelf—the cover spoke of peacefulness and simplicity; I bought it and was soon reading it in the shade of old oaks in the nearby woods.

Paula Huston’s journey toward an enlightened life begins by looking back upon a centuries old monastic rule and sequestering herself among the monks of the New Camadoli hermitage in Big Sur, California. Metho
Valerie Dykstra
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
The Holy Way is one of my all time favorites. I just finished it for the second time. It's certainly not a book to read quickly. To glean the most, one must read slowly, chewing a little bit at a time.

The author's journey toward simplicity began as an exhausted, searching soul trying to keep up the American pace - climbing the career ladder, building the dream home, compounding debt. Having reached so many goals, she discovered that happiness and fulfillment eluded her still.

Ever so slowly - th
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Paula Huston, almost crazed with her hectic
life as a college instructor and a busy mom,
sets out to simplify her life and deepen
her spirituality, following the lead of
great spiritual leaders of the past.

I actually gasped out loud when I read the
chapter where Huston realizes that the more
effort she put into her spirituality, the
more judgmental she seemed to be about other
people; yep, I saw myself. While I liked
some of Huston's ideas for simplifying and
spiritualize-ing, I noticed that m
Tom
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of the finest books on practical Christian spirituality I have read in a long time. I read it twice, back-to-back. Some people won't like its personal and experiential tone, though I found her honesty and vulnerability attractive and very human. Her use of classical Christian authors from antiquity to the present (Anthony, Pachomius, John Cassian, Augustine, Benedict, Aelred, Francis, Catherine of Siena, Ignatius, and Bede Griffiths) was helpful. I was repeatedly encouraged to practi ...more
Jonathan Jones
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book's author, Paula Huston, was seeking a way to deeper spiritual life. What she discovered was 10 ways! She shares with the reader what each way entails, and her own work incorporating the way in her life. There is a lot material in this book, and I feel that it may take a few more readings for me to gain all the help this book has to offer, for someone seeking a more intimate relationship with God.
Collette
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
A good book, but I'm somewhat disappointed. Detailed examples of what to expect when you have a professional career and begin to simplify. Little practical advice. I think I may need to reread some chapters to glean the bits that I did find helpful. Agree with the reviewer who said that "My Search for the Holy Way" would have been a more appropriate title.
Forrest
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book, like many books, was one of those that is a collection of quotes that are linked together with prose by "the author." Unlike most other books, this one has many quotes that are engaging, you've never read before, and come at just the right time in the structure.
I read it while doing a juice fast which may have made it seem better than it was -- but it spoke to me!! :)
Debbie
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a really great book. i highly recommend it. along with kathleen norris's book, i really can't say enough.
Del
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a rich and deep book dealing with Christian spirituality for the rest of us -- those who are broken, stretched and weary of the shallow way.
Pat
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a beautiful book...not for everyone but thoughtful and meditative
Gerlinde
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on seeking your path. The author's personal story adds clarity to what she is teaching.
Diskojoe