Start by marking “Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess” as Want to Read:
Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess

Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess (Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  18,835 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
When best friends Miaka and Yui open the pages of an ancient Chinese book, they are transported into the Universe of the Four Gods, a parallel world to ancient China. Now, to escape schoolwork and family problems, Miaka flees to the parallel world, only to find a lot more danger and romance than she bargained for.
Paperback, Left-to-right edition, 197 pages
Published October 6th 1999 by VIZ Media (first published May 1992)

Kay
Nov 15, 2011 Kay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kay by: fake chinese history
The artwork is gorgeous, but other than that, I didn't enjoy this manga very much. The protagonist is very weak, and gets pushed around and fondled by this guy and that. But despite it all, she still maintains that Mary Sue complex in which she unfailingly attracts the attention of all. If that's not enough, this is another one of those "The One" stories where the heroine has to find and lead seven celestial guardians to some great purpose or another.

So, not only is she a Mary Sue that everybod
PurplyCookie
I will admit that I only purchased a copy of this manga because I loved the anime so much. I have been a fan of that series for the longest time and whenever I go back to watch it, it never disappoints.

In "Fushigi Yûgi, Volume 1: Priestess" we are introduced to Miaka Yuki who is an ordinary junior high-school student, suddenly whisked away into the world of a book, "The Universe of the Four Gods". There she becomes the priestess of the god Suzaku, and is charged with finding all seven of her Ce
Sesana
I remember reading a little bit of Fushigi Yugi back when they were first being released, but never finished off the series. I remember why now. The art is really, really, really pretty, enough that it bumped the rating up a whole star for me. The actual plot itself seems pretty interesting, and is off to a fairly good start. But the romance is lackluster and rushed. There's going to be a bunch more volumes for Miaka to realize that she's falling in love with Tamahome, so why start now? And Miak ...more
Teresa
May 05, 2012 Teresa rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Manga lovers would definetely find this appealing
Recommended to Teresa by: Self
I did not like this book, obviously from my one-star rating. I am sorry for you manga lovers, but I did try to like this book. But...just, no. The only good thing that came out of this series is the artwork. The creator is not a very good storyteller, but well, hell, she's got talents when it comes to the art department. Sadly, that's where my compliments end. You know, in the hands of a capable storyteller, this manga could have been great. I mean, I found the idea behind the plot appealing. I ...more
Selena
I read this a while ago, so my memory's foggy, but I do remember going, "meh" to this book and then being very glad the library didn't have any of the other books in the series.

The main character is what's known as a "hapless heroine sue." In other words, she's so "normal" (or what is considered "normal" of a girl in Japan when this was written). In other words, she's a total wimp. She's got the brain the size of a peanut. She gets manhandled a few times. All she does is whine and scream for hel
Yuu Sasih
This rating and review are for all completed volumes.

Lagi-lagi, kalau urusan manga romance, saya dikasih pinjam oleh kakak sepupu saya. Waktu itu baca waktu masa puber, pas SMP, makanya saya bisa tahan baca manga romance yang fluff dan klisenya sehebat ini. LOL.

Tapi dari sudut tema saya suka sekali, terutama setting zaman dan wilayah yang dipilih.... kalau tidak salah di China era Tiga Kerajaan? Atau sebelumnya?

Dari tema, mirip Inuyasha, tapi bedanya ini harem. Lumayan iri sama Miaka dan Yui yan
Jessikah
Sep 22, 2008 Jessikah rated it really liked it
Fushigi Yugi is a great Manga series for fans of girl's romance. Its got a slew of memorable characters, plenty of action and of course a love triangle (or square or... you get the idea). It gets a little weird towards the end, however it is worth a read. Try any of Yuu Watase's fantasy stories.
Kirsten
Reread #500000000 (Not really but I did read this volume a lot when I was younger.)

I might do a full review of the series when I finish it, but I will say right now that volume 1 isn't as good as I remember it being.
Ceres
Dec 03, 2014 Ceres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un des premiers mangas que j'ai dévoré d'un coup! Yuu Watase Powa!!!
Chloe Martin
May 09, 2017 Chloe Martin rated it really liked it
What a story! The fantasy, action and romance mixed into this series is great making the whole story really enjoyable to read. 4.5 stars for sure, I'm so excited to read more of this series!
Jewel
Jan 23, 2015 Jewel rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
the following review is for the entire Fushigi Yugi series.

more shameless manga reviewing!

Yuu Watase has a good feel for balancing dark drama and romance. Fushigi Yugi, unlike the depressing and deranged Ceres, is a hybrid of historical drama and fantasy topped with a subtle magical girl feel. like Inuyasha, Fushigi Yugi was one of the manage/anime series that dominated my little teen life and holds a special place in my library.

the series as a whole also has some good humor and genuinely funny
Lexie
Sep 25, 2016 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to a new manga recap session! Today's docket is Fushigi Yugi (aka The Mysterious Play, waaaay back when this was originally translated and released by Viz) volume 1: Priestess.

Meet Miaka Yuki, an average Japanese middle school student cramming for her exams. Meet Yui Hongo, an above average student who is (supposedly) Miaka's Bestie. They find a forbidden book called "The Universe of Four Gods" and the power it contains. Miaka goes back, cause hey easy Street am I right?, and Yui is more
Miss Ryoko
Jul 14, 2011 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
This series seems pretty interesting... very Never Ending Story but as a Shojo manga. I think I will enjoy it. It seems a bit like Red River, though I've only read the first volume of that series too.

What is VERY interesting to me is the manga-ka talks a lot about not copying other artists in her panels. She talks about making sure you have your own style and it's okay to be influenced by other artists you like, but don't make your characters look exactly the same because to her, that is annoyin
Sati Marie Frost
Nov 09, 2015 Sati Marie Frost rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, fantasy, reviewed
I'm really not sure what to think about this one.

I first saw an ad for Fushigi Yûgi in the back of another manga, and instantly fell in love with the picture, which is same as the front cover from Vol 1. The description made it sound epic, and I've been wanting to get my hands on it for the last seven or eight years. Unfortunately, it's out of print and has so far proved impossible to get in the UK for less than an emperor's ransom.

When I found Vol 1, 2, 9 and 10 in a second-hand store, I scoope
Utena
It had been ages when I had last picked up this series. I had just started anime and my neighbor had these on VHS at the time. I ended up borrowing them to watch the anime. I never did finish watching it even after my sister bought the series for both herself and my niece to enjoy.

Now I remember why I didn't finish it: Miaka annoyed the hell out of me. If I thought Bella from Twilight was a massive Mary Sue, then I have met her cousin, Miaka. This special snowflake never seems to grow a backbone
Phoebe Andamo
Jun 17, 2012 Phoebe Andamo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, owned-mangas, w
This is one of the classic shoujo mangas by Yuu Watase. I am a fan since I was little. I remember watching the anime of Fushigi Yuugi and Marmalade Boy. Although the anime of Fushigi Yuugi is for more mature viewers as I remember. The illustrations are superb. The plot interests me a lot. It is quite original for me.

Miaka and Yui experienced an earthquake inside the restricted part of the library. They saw an opened book and read that those who will read it will become the heroine in the story.
Leila Anani
Fushigi Yugi is the first series that started me off reading manga because I was so enchanted with the anime. Its an epic fantasy romance saga telling of a ditzy 15 year old Japanese school girl who gets sucked into a book in the restricted section of the local library. She ends up in a fantasy world resembling Ancient China where she becomes the Priestess of Suzaku.

I love pretty much everything about this series. The artwork is just gorgeous. In the first volume you get shedloads of plot making
Sevairi
Yuu Watase's artwork is so gorgeous that it makes me want to weep, and gets one star solely for that. However, I wasn't really feeling this series. I don't believe in this "love at first sight" bullshit Miaka has for Tamahome, or Hotohori for Miaka. I just don't. The only romantic relationship which has an explanation is the fake one between Tamahome and Nuriko, since Nuriko is a conniving fucking nutcase and isn't actually in love with Tamahome.

There were blatant spelling mistakes as well, whic
alyza lalaine libit
Apr 11, 2013 alyza lalaine libit rated it it was amazing
this is one of my favorite mangas and animes.
i was in grade school when the anime was first aired on local tv.
i was hooked since i'm eternally fascinated with history, different cultures mythology and folklore.
why, when i was a kid i even dreamed of becoming an archeologist, anthropologist or a historian.
however now i'm taking up secondary education, lol
anyway, the story is epic.
i love the characters specially tamahome
all characters are developing as the story goes on.
there's no lame part.
every
Sami C
Jul 16, 2014 Sami C rated it really liked it
I remember the day when "Curious Play" came on AXN one summer. I watched that first episode and loved it. And since not many of my classmates had cable, I already knew what happened in the show at least a year before anyone else in high school did when the show came out on local TV (Tagalog version eww). This is how I met my best friend--she heard me talking about it and asked me for spoilers.

However, it never occurred to me to read the manga. I knew it was based on a manga, but at the time, I w
Cara James
Dec 16, 2012 Cara James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-manga-books
The protagonist in this story can be a bit annoying at times, but I feel like her character is balanced by the numerous other men around her. This artist is one of my favorites so I have seen her create strong female characters without making them bubbly, whiney, and over the top dramatic like she did with Miaka in this particular series. Despite my irritation with the main character, I don't believe this story would be what is if it weren't for Miaka. This story is more than just a romance. It ...more
The Succubus
Sep 30, 2013 The Succubus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Owow! Fushigi yuugi had been my long time favorite and i can't believe up until now it's still! I mean, i was watching this series since i was in elementary and now i am in my twenties and reading the manga (ive finished it just now :D). Really moves me, though others might think that it was just an exaggerated remark, for me it did. I feel with the characters, i laughed, i got teary eyed (and cried too), got intensed, shocked and all that--most importantly, i loved with them :). While i was rea ...more
Patricia
Oct 05, 2009 Patricia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember much about this first volume. Nor do I wish to. The only thing that I can recall quite well is the main character, whatever her name was, telling the dude on the cover that she was falling in love with him. When I read that, I was like "What the f*ck?!"

I HATE it when in the first volume of any story the girl tells the guy she loves him when she knows NOTHING about him.

That's why I hate this main girl right off the bat. You don't know anything about him!! All he did was save you
Christina Gonzalez
Dec 08, 2013 Christina Gonzalez rated it liked it
Review for the series.

I really liked this story at the beginning. A ragtag mismatched set of unusual characters with strange magical powers is thrown together to save the world, racing against time and a better established and better armed adversary. I felt like the last four or so volumes, which take place after the original mission is complete, are unnecessary and really drag down the whole series - it didn't help that I read the series as it was released and the dragging out happened over se
Despair Speaking
This is so ooold. I think this manga is what Yuu Watase famous. I watched its anime counterpart when I was still in kindergarten and had been a fan. So when I came across this in a bookstore, I was like, "Why not?" and bought a copy. It was pretty cheap and I wanted to remember why I liked it so much.

And I do remember.

Fushigi Yugi is not a bad work. It's interesting enough and has a lot of cute/funny scenes. It was the art that I didn't like and its overdose in drama. But the characters, especia
Lindsey
Nov 07, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Very light and funny, good story. I feel like I'm not as invested though as when theres danger and drama, so I guess I'll have to keep reading for the character development! Miaka is very cute and likable, but I keep waiting for her to start taking the situation more seriously!! Tamahome is very cute too, but now I want more character development! Back-story please!

The drawing is very good too, when Watase wants to draw beautifully she does, and the landscapes were gorgeous! Still getting used t
Rebecca Ann
Feb 09, 2013 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, favorite-manga
This was a pretty hilarious and over the top manga. Some of the lines made me laugh out loud, like when Miaka finds out the emperor is not a woman and says "Nothing Above. A-and below is some mysterious object I know nothing of--" lmao. Second favorite quote from Tamahome "I realize that I am a kind, macho beefcake of a martial artist". The main character is a spunky mary sue, but its hard to hold it against her. This book does have some mature subject matter. It suggests near-rape situations an ...more
Kirsten Simkiss
Jan 17, 2013 Kirsten Simkiss rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This one's fairly in the middle for me at 3 stars. This is my second read through of the series, as I didn't have a goodreads account the first time I read through it.

The art is good, the concept is interesting. The only failing is that the characters have no real depth yet in this first book aside from Miaka having different opinions about which school to go to than her mother, which is probably the most relatable thing in this manga. Obviously, I know it gets deeper and the characters get mor
Chloe Lyn
Mar 07, 2013 Chloe Lyn rated it really liked it
First anime for me to show obsession in.

Sis bought a full series of it,but in Chinese lol,I could almost read none at that time. But I totally love the drawings.

My sis totally love Watase Yuu's work, legend/fairy tale cross as a theme usually, it wasn't a common way to use those themes that way back then.

We watched the movie first actually,lol,we fell in love with them and bought the rest of the series soon after. It was the first anime that I was so infatuated in. I was even in love with ani
Ms. Bassett's P1A...: WROTE A REVIEW!!!! 5 9 Dec 05, 2012 07:53AM
  • Sailor Moon SuperS, #3 (Sailor Moon SuperS, #3)
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 1 (Marmalade Boy, #1)
  • Mars, Volume 03
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Vol. 1 (Magic Knight Rayearth I, #1)
  • From Far Away, Vol. 01
  • InuYasha: Family Matters (InuYasha, #2)
  • Red River, Vol. 1 (Red River, #1)
  • Full Moon o Sagashite, Vol. 1
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 2
A Japanse shoujo manga-ka. She is known for her works Fushigi Yūgi, Alice 19th, Ceres: The Celestial Legend, Fushigi Yūgi Genbu Kaiden and Absolute Boyfriend. She likes all music, except heavy metal and old traditional music.

She received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Since writing her debut short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), Wata
More about Yuu Watase...

Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 2: Oracle