Start by marking “Setsuko and the Song of the Sea” as Want to Read:
Setsuko and the Song of the Sea

Setsuko and the Song of the Sea

Setsuko loves the sea.

She swims its shallows. She dives its depths.

But she worries that her friends have chosen to abandon her way of life. Then she meets a whale who also fears he is the last of his kind.

In return for giving him hope, he gifts her a song

which she uses to remind people of the beauty of the ocean.

The Song of the Sea is a story of friendship and hope in an u
Published April 22nd 2021 by Tiny Tree Books

To ask other readers questions about Setsuko and the Song of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Setsuko and the Song of the Sea

Start your review of Setsuko and the Song of the Sea
Natalie
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a gifted advance reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via lovebookstours and the publishers.

Setsuko and the song of the sea is a beautifully illustrated children's picture book about many different things which are all cleverly woven into this story.
Setsuko loves the sea and is now sad and alone as all the others have gone back to land. Then she meets a whale who is also lonely and can't find the other whales. They spend a week together frolicking in the o
Dreximgirl
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated childrens book which has blended the gorgeous pictures with wonderful words by Fiona Barker in English and translated into Japanese by Hideaki Matsuya.

At the heart of this book is a simple story of caring for the environment you live in and appreciating what is around you. The use of colour within the illustrations to help portray the message was done really well and helps support the message in a subtle visual way.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. I think it
Karen Kingston
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As a mother of older teenagers, I miss sharing the picture books they enjoyed when tiny. This is one they would both have enjoyed, full of stunning illustrations by Howard Gray, a beautiful story with an important message by Fiona Barker and Japanese text from Hideaki Matsuya.

Setsuko loves the sea and helps others to recognise the importance of caring for our oceans, by keeping our rubbish out of it. If our children learn at an early age the importance of looking after our oceans and their inhab
Katrina Reads
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Setsuko and the Song of the Sea is an absolutely stunning book, both visually and with the messaging in the story.

We see Setsuko swimming in the sea, which is something she loves to do. But she is swimming in a sea with fewer fish and more and more pollution. The beauty of the ocean is transposed with the horrifying imagery of plastic pollution. Where there should be sea creatures there is junk and waste.

One day Setsuko comes across a huge whale who is looking for his friends, he can’t find them
Charlie Morris
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, reviewed
Setsuko and the Song of the Sea is a beautifully illustrated story with a very important message.

The illustration is absolutely stunning. With many images of Setsuko swimming underwater, the pages are filled with colour. My four-year-old loved looking at all of the different fish in the sea, trying to name them all.

The synopsis of the book is that Setsuko recognises the importance of caring for our oceans and keeping our human waste out of it. The illustration tells this story brilliantly, seein
Lauren
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Love Books Tours for having me and for my gifted copy to Tiny Tree Books.

I know that as my nephew grows, my sister wants to help him learn about the environment and to care for it. So I wanted to request and review this book with him in mind, adding books that matter to his world.

There is another wonderful incentive to this book and that is 10% of the net profits from each book will be donated to the Marine Conservation Society, the UK charity working for seas full of life.

Gorgeous
Mathew
This is a beautifully illustrated book that tells the story of a young girl who swims in the shallows and depths of the sea and feels more at home there than she does on land. When she encounters a whale who fears it is the last of its kind, a special bond is made. Setsuko assuages any fears the whale has but begins to see that the ocean is not as clear or as pure as she had first thought. Are the whale's concerns founded in truth?

With a special bond made, the whale gifts Setsuko with a song an
Queenbeesbookhive

꧁☬𝑻𝒊𝒕𝒍𝒆: 𝑺𝒆𝒕𝒔𝒖𝒌𝒐 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝑶𝒇 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒆𝒂
𝑨𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓: 𝑭𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒂 𝑩𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒆𝒓
𝑰𝒍𝒍𝒖𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒐𝒓: 𝑯𝒐𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒚
𝑹𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈: 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝/5 ☬꧂

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to share this delightful story with my foundation class of hungry little minds ! The energetic and spirited illustrations were definitely a “wow” factor with the children “
Here are a couple of quotes from the little people :

“The story really is alive with the pictures”

“I love the whale as it’
Sara (thebookwebb)
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My class of five years olds loved this book. The message of how the oceans are becoming polluted was portrayed subtly through the beautiful illustrations. It prompted lots of discussion and ended up with us creating a small world ocean that the children could clean up the plastic from and put into recycling bins. What was also wonderful is that I am currently promoting reading for pleasure throughout the school in which I work. This book prompted lots of children in my class to write their own b ...more
Amy (Amy_justonemorechapter)
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is stunning the illustrations are so detailed, a beautiful read for any young child. Like most environmental books, this one covers plastic pollution in the oceans and the effect this has on sea life. I actually found the story emotional as I was reading it with the dynamics of the friendship between Setsuko and the whale, with the harshness of environmental damage. Even the tones of the colours used in the illustrations are darker when plastic pollution is shown and they are brighter ...more
Susan - Read, Read, No Sleep, Repeat
Everything about this book is gorgeous - the illustrations are stunning, the story is heartwarming and the underlying messages about friendship, finding your place in the world and pollution are powerful.

My five year old daughter loves this book and it has quickly become a family favourite. It really captured her imagination as she was excited about the friendship between Setsuko and the whale and sad that the litter was polluting the sea. This sparked lots of great discussions about recycling
Danielle Amor
May 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great story and is beautifully illustrated! The pictures tell the story so well.

The boys absolutely loved it. They took a lot of interest in the pictures and noticed the plastic in the sea. They are huge Sir David Attenborough fans, so understand and know lots about helping the wildlife in the sea!

They loved how Setsuko swims with the whale and together with help from friends, told the whales story and they made the sea safer and cleaner.

They boys are always picking up litter and
Rosemarie
Jun 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Absolutely beautiful story of a woman and a whale, a lover of the sea who learns the whale song that calls people to care for the ocean.
The story is simple but very moving. It is written in English and Japanese. It explains in simple terms the love of the ocean and the tradition of diving by Japanese women.
The illustrations are very well done, showing the damage to the oceans with rubbish but also the beauty of marine life and the relationship of humans to the sea.
nicola mckenna
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about a young girl called Setsuko, who loves the sea, she becomes friends with a whale who is in fear of being the last of his kind, but setsuko gives him hope and in return he gives her the sound of the sea.This book is aimed at children but to be honest i think we can all take something away with us from this book, this book makes you think about just how much polution there is in the sea. My children who are 7 and 5 enjoyed listening to me read them this story.
Heidi Ramsay
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Me and the kids had so much fun exploring with Setsuko! The beautiful images complimented this magical story perfectly and it’s such a great way to teach children from a young age to love and look after the earth.

As a family who live by the sea we often see beaches get trashed and there’s no age that’s too young to start making a difference.

This was a #gifted item, thank you so much @fionawritesbooks @howardgrey @lovebookstours for letting me be part of this book tour 🌊💙
OBC Mini
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story!

Lily-May has really enjoyed this book, so much so that it has even been to school for story time. She loves the illustrations, she likes to spot different things within the picture. She got a little upset at the picture with the whale covered in litter, that is her pet peeve, she hates litter!!

Lily-May liked seeing the people cleaning up the beach and that the Whale found his friends…. she said it was such a happy ending.
Barbara Henderson
Jun 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was smitten with this book from the moment I saw the cover. Seascapes are so hard to get right and I adored the immersive nature of the illustration, paired with perfect, sparse text which leaves the imagination to fill in the gaps.
There is an eco message, but it is subtle, not heavy-handed or preachy-teachy. A brilliant picture book I'm sure to use in the classroom soon.
Rhianydd
May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely children book you enjoy with beautiful illustrations for them that you can read to them in the night before bed children will love this book the writing is lovely such a great read plus this book teachers you how to look after the sea and notice how beautiful the sea is with the jellyfish and whales in it. 💜.
Maressa Mortimer
Jun 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and so did my kids. The pictures are beautiful, giving them lots to look at. They picked up on the whale's mood, and were thrilled with the ending!
I loved how its lovely message was so gentle and helpful, making my children want to share the outdoors.
Highly recommend this!
Karen Andrew
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Review
This book is stunning.

I love whales and being by the sea. Me and my son enjoyed reading this together.

It is beautifully written and really informative reminding us to really look after nature and it in turn will look after us.

It is beautifully illustrated and such a gorgeous storyline.

One we will treasure for years to come.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Backstories
  • Elizabeth & Margaret: The Intimate World of the Windsor Sisters
  • Bugger Banksy
  • Firepower
  • The First Dawn (Daughter of the Phoenix, #3)
  • Marrying the Heiress
  • Leaving Isn't the Hardest Thing
  • The Girl from the Island
  • Jaipur Journals

News & Interviews

Mary Roach is a science author who specializes in the bizarre and offbeat. With a body of work ranging from deep-dives on the history of...