Start by marking “Black Queen: Stray (Shifters Among Us, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Queen: Stray (Shifters Among Us, #1)

Black Queen: Stray

(Shifters Among Us #1)

Pets. Servants. Threats. That's all shifters have been to humans since they discovered our existence. A prophecy claims that three powerful shifter queens will bring peace and justice. It sounded pie in the sky to me…until I accidentally unleashed a crazy power and killed a group of Hunters with a mere thought when I was fourteen.

I’m a declawed cat shifter, nothing badass
Published February 28th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Black Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Queen

Start your review of Black Queen: Stray (Shifters Among Us, #1)
Lola
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

I've been excited to read this series since I first heard about. I love the concept for this series with 3 shifter queens and how each get their point of view told over 9 books. I can't wait for the rest of the series! This was an excellent start to the series and I really enjoyed it.

Dark Queen Stray mostly is told from the point of view of Frankie, but there are chapters from the point of views of some of the guys as well as Mi
Dani
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I stumbled across this book but the blurb caught my eye. I love that it's very shifter focused in that even though the humans know about them they don't hide and instead have their own country. Shifters are still treated horibbly and can be kept as pets and collared so they don't shift. It's a very unique dynamic in that the shifters and human side are separated by a bridge.

Onto the cons, which admittedly aren't many. The only thing I really wish I got
Christina
Jul 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Paranormal romance

This book held my interest enough to finish it but I don't know if I feel compelled to finish the series. I liked the characters and there was some action. The story switched pov a few times. It is slow burn.
Rachel
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
It's all about the shifters. Lidiya Foxglove is another one of those authors who I know about but haven't yet read, that is until now. Black Queen: Stray is the first book in her Shifters Among Us series. This series is really shifter focus, they have their own history, society, problems, and magic. This reverse harem is a slow burn and told from multiple perspectives with interesting characters. It was a fun and entertaining read.

The story focuses on the injustices shifters (so far bird, cat, a
Sharon
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
***I received an early copy of this book in order to write this review.

I don't even know where to begin! Lidiya Foxglove is an amazing author and she doesn't disappoint with this book. As soon as I downloaded Stray, I started reading it and couldn't put it down, I finished it in one day.

So the FMC, Frankie, is a feisty little hellcat... literally, she is a cat shifter. She has had a less than ideal upbringing since she lost her mother when she was young. She was taken in by someone who is not
Read With Ren
May 12, 2021 rated it liked it
I have to admit, I was a little let down by this book. When I read the blurb, I was so excited and so ready to read it. I'm a big fan of shifter romances, and a big fan of reverse harem romances. Put them together and it's basically my dream book.

Now, I know that this is only the first book in the series and everyone knows the first book is the 'set up', but I just could not get over the amount of description. The majority of the book is telling you the story of how shifters came to be 'pets' or
Kaye
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
✴️✴️ONE DARK AND GRITTY ADVENTURE✴️✴️
Hatching harlots homer! Lydiya delivers one helluva tumultuous boot-stomping rock-my-world kickass rollercoaster with all the badassery and mettle you can handle, bringing the heat and busting down barnacles, launching this gem to new heights. A raging vortex chocked-full of dangerous struggles and formidable triumphs while attentive to the perilous twists and wicked turns unfolding as the riveting drama, gripping intrigue, callous acts, heinous atrocities, b
Marisa
Mar 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a great introductory book into a new shifter world. The reader is brought into a world that is much like it is now, except shifters and humans exist together. However, in most cases, shifters are treated as less than human. This book introduces the reader to some of the history, politics and every day lives of people within the book, as well as the shifter queens prophecy.

The story is told from multiple POVs, a good way to learn more about each character. Their inner monologues and impr
Rosalie
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Black Queen Stray

Wow! Talk about a fast paced story that pulls you in and grabs your hand and plunges you into an exciting journey into a new world!

Frankie is a cat shifter who has been forced to raise herself and survive in a world where humans capture and use shifters as slaves, pets, or simply to torture.

Although Frankie has been lucky to survive thanks to her “uncle”, she is also placed in dangerous situations in order to earn her keep. One of those jobs she was sent on forced her to unlea
Dew
Mar 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
Queens everywhere

Because this book is the first installment of a multi-book series, it reads as incomplete and ends on a cliffhanger. The prologue of the fmc at age 13 seems largely pointless. Meanwhile, the Ian character could easily be cut from the book. The thing about Aslen’s brother was a waste of time to try and make Ian relevant in one of the future books. The plot goes nowhere and there is no character development.

This is a great first pass of a book, but the story needs editing because
Sasha Cutright
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy of Black Queen and enjoyed being given a new world and dynamics to take in.
We are introduced to quite a few characters and their POVs in the book for being a fairly short read, though mostly it is Frankie's story. We get introduced to some world building in Istara, a country inside of the US, and a general understanding of the shifters and human interactions. We know from early on that Frankie is special but unwilling to take the risk to acknowledge it.
The characters all
Donna
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Black Queen: Stray by Lidiya Foxglove is Book 1 in the Shifters Among Us series. This is my first experience reading this author. Lidiya has created a new world where shifters are not hidden. Frankie, the MFC, is a strong individual created by her background and decisions. She is interesting and well developed. There are a number of male characters introduced and it will be very interesting to see what role each will play as the story develops. The multiple POVs add so much as they allow you to ...more
S
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Completely intrigued!

I have to say I am intrigued by this story. It is a great start to the lore of this world. We spent a lot of time meeting new character and learn in the ways of this world. I’m truly excited to see what happens next as we are just scratching the surface. Can’t wait to see where all this is going. Wherever it is it will sure to be dramatic.

Frankie and Mina are interesting main characters. I can’t wait to learn more about them and what kind of epic battle this is all leading
Jennifer Soppe
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
An interesting alternate reality worth exploring

Frankie, a cat shifter and orphan, is rescued from a life on the streets but has a very heavy string tied to her. As the story progresses a prophecy comes into play, danger follows her around, and the next set of saviors may be the biggest threat to her safety. Lidiya Foxglove has created an interesting alternate reality worth exploring. There are shifters, sorcerers, and humans each in their own little pockets with conflict all over this one. Seei
Nadia
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was ok
This is a very different shifter book, that I have not come across before, and the angle is very clever!
Unfortunately I struggled with it. I had a hard time connecting with the characters and the story. I felt like I never really got to know any of the characters on a deeper level, and that made it harder to feel with them. Also a lot of meaningless things happen, that I feel doesn't do anything for the development of the story..

It does pick up at the end..
Amanda
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very dif intriguing read

I love dif POV’s in the stories I perfer to read. This one had it mostly for 1 fmc and near the end switched fo a dif one. I think if they had more POVs from the men it would make the story seem more seamless. The storyline was great, but shifting around to dif POVs at weird intervals is what made me rate it 4 stars. I think i would have rated it a 5 star if she gave more insight into the male leads...
Anisha
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Cat got my tongue and Watson's eyes

I love that Kid it's is diving into another universe that is going to tie characters in different storylines/books yet again. She did such a wonderful job of it in her Fairytale Heat novels. After reading this first book and already intro to characters that will have their own stories, I can't wait to find out who lands where, who the bad guys really are or not as bad as the other guys.
Anne
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I just kept trying to turn the page but it was over. What a read.

Frankie is a small shifter cat in world that hates and oppresses shifters. Even other shifters. I was sucked into this world and really felt for all of the shifters. Their struggles and world really sucked me in and I am excited for more.
Kerri Vogel
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love the world that Lidiya Foxglove created in this story and I love Frankie and her take no crap attitude. She is a girl from the streets who has learned how to live the rough life and I found her to be extremely relatable. I can't wait to see what happens when she finally accepts her powers and steps into her own. ...more
Kathy
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing take on the genre!

I like the fact that the author is creating a new type of dynamic between characters/races with this series. It’s nice to not have the same or close to the same story when reading a RH. I’m excited to see where it goes when we get the other Queens stories.
Dena
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good gracious

This is a huge story with so many plots going on. I mean we have characters we do not like, characters we barely tolerate and then the characters we wished were dead. This is a good start because everything is so confusing and the other books should clear some stuff up.
Sheila Johnston
May 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Not sure

Basically a great spin on shifter/human world, but a powerful girl that cant save herself from being collared is unbelievable. Sure she escapes but she behaves weak when she thinks/says how she is a badass @ taking care of herself. She behaves too submissive for my taste, maybe.
T.
Oct 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-ultd
Black Queen: Stray, the first book of the Shifters Among Us series, is an ebook I borrowed through Kindle Unlimited (KU). This was a good book, but I didn't care for the dynamics between characters. This is a series that may improve as it evolves, but I will stop here. I must say, the cliffhanger/reveal at the end was certainly a surprise--well done. ...more
Galina Sulaiman
Nov 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Black Queen

New author and series for me, was recommended in a Facebook group to have pregnancy and not at the end of the series. This book had zero heat so no immaculate conception happened lol. It is a bit different. Interesting as well. The world building was believable. Definitely going to continue with the next book where hopefully more spice kicks in.
Bianca Mittan
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book confused me. Well written, original plot, a prophecy. I'm not sure any of the characters know what the word secret means. The ending was a surprise and I want to know where the story is going to go next because I have a lot of unanswered questions. ...more
April
Great read

This was a great start to a new series. It has a really unique storyline that I haven't read anywhere else. I love the characters and can't wait to see what happens next.
Ryann Leasure
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting take on shifters!!

Love the storyline of this series!! Shifters as pets is one I haven’t read before and makes for an interesting take on the shifter world. I can’t wait to see how the Queens come together and set shifters free!
Melanie
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ohh can't wait for the next book,. This book has several charaters in it and it tells the story from each of them. Different things happened to different charaters at the same time.. I need to know what happens next.. ...more
Celeste Anderson
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced Reverse Harem

You may need a score card to keep up with the plot and characters, but it is worth it. The writing is funny and cultural references add to the humor. Looking forward to diving deeper into this series.
Bre Senten
Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Purrrfection!

Loved this new take on the shifter world! Stray has a unique, action packed story and smexy characters! This is setting up to be a hot series and I can't wait to read the next book!

• Alpha Rejected (Feral Mates, #1)
  • Her Dark Moon (House of Wolves and Magic, #1)
  • Unbound (The Cursed Trilogy #1)
  • Rejected Exile (Wolf Ascendant, #1)
  • Torn to Bits (Kingdom of Wolves, #3)
  • Lone Wolf (Reach for the Moon, #1)
  • Unexpected Shift (Dragon Goddess, #1)
  • Hell Kissed (The Rejected Realms, #1)
  • Sleepless Beauties (The Vampires Vendetta, #1)
  • Wolf Rejected (Aurelia's Pack Of Misfits, #1)
  • Wolf Shunned (The Alpha Queen Legacy, #1)
  • Pack Claimed (The Alpha Queen Legacy, #2)
  • Moon Kissed (The Marked Wolf, #1)
  • Lost (Silver Falls University, #1; Kingdom of Wolves #2)
  • Dark Horse (A Demon's Guide to the Afterlife, #1)
  • Outcast (The Pack Prophecy, #1)
  • Unleashed (The Cursed Trilogy #2)
  • Second Glances (Hemlock Academy, #2)
Lidiya Foxglove grew up on a steady diet of fairy tales, folklore and fantasy and also reads way too much manga. Fantasy romance is her favorite thing in the world, but she likes it steamy. She also loves cats and tea--it's cliche for a reason! ...more

Shifters Among Us (5 books)
  • Black Queen: Shadow (Shifters Among Us, #2)
  • Black Queen: Sovereign (Shifters Among Us Book 3)
  • White Queen: Fiend (Shifters Among Us Book 4)
  • White Queen: Flight (Shifters Among Us, #5)

News & Interviews

For dedicated horror fans, every season is Halloween season. October is a fine month, it just doesn’t come around often enough.   Most scholars...